The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Implementing fastlane ideas to an old school industry

Idea threads

Kevin90

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Mar 10, 2014
Ohio
I work in a very old school business. It's a small (under 50 employees) tool and die/metal stamping company. Metal forming has been around for thousands of years (blacksmiths, weapons makers, etc.). The metal stamping industry has been around since mass production was used in manufacturing. The biggest advancement in this business has been the technological improvements to the machines that produce the customer's parts. I'm having trouble implementing fastlane ideas and framework to really make a difference in the company I work for. The way material and components are purchased has been the same for a long time. The way the work flow functions has been the same for a long time. The process of acquiring new business has been the same for a long time. Besides new software the company recently implemented to improve job costing and inventory control, we do things old school. As one of two twenty-something year olds in the position to have direct communication with upper management, I feel I have the opportunity to shake things up and help grow the company.

I'm stuck on how to create rapid growth and profitability...to really make a difference. How do fastlane ideas apply to a business that has been around since the 1800's?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
business are always trying to revamp and get faster/ leaner more efficient. there is surely waste in older organizations. You can start by finding out where excess waste (from lean perspective) is headed whether it be outdated machinery or even downtime of machines, personnel issues (old labor is stubborn labor) maintenance costs etc

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
a lot of the people that work in your company i would assume are your atypical slow laners. their set in mind of way of thinking. They resent change. You want to make sure you craft your way around your motives to get them to either support the changes or to just abide by them. It is a challenging task but definitely manageable.

There is surely ways reach your business out via trade shows on social media to get and attract more business. perhaps the website can be altered if possible to attract legions of people. Maybe machine shop can do work out of state even. I know a lot about machining and machine shops as i was manufacturing engineer for big name corporation plants. If there is a reputable highly polished machine shop you can bet they will attract business from all over the country.

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
Map out each process from order to ship and then look for inefficiencies. Wasted time, wasted material, etc. Think about improvements, even if small. If there are 20 steps and and you find 1% savings in a few, that adds up.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
Perform a Kaizen Event. It's a proven method and helps the cross functional team "buy in" and take ownership. Be sure to collect plenty of data before the event. Before and after pics of the process and layout. Flow chart (value stream maps) the process before and after. This will pin point waste (muda) in the process. Study and become the go to guy for lean manufacturing principles.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
I work in a very old school business. It's a small (under 50 employees) tool and die/metal stamping company. Metal forming has been around for thousands of years (blacksmiths, weapons makers, etc.). The metal stamping industry has been around since mass production was used in manufacturing. The biggest advancement in this business has been the technological improvements to the machines that produce the customer's parts. I'm having trouble implementing fastlane ideas and framework to really make a difference in the company I work for. The way material and components are purchased has been the same for a long time. The way the work flow functions has been the same for a long time. The process of acquiring new business has been the same for a long time. Besides new software the company recently implemented to improve job costing and inventory control, we do things old school. As one of two twenty-something year olds in the position to have direct communication with upper management, I feel I have the opportunity to shake things up and help grow the company.

I'm stuck on how to create rapid growth and profitability...to really make a difference. How do fastlane ideas apply to a business that has been around since the 1800's?

Pretend there is a competitor, and their goal is to run you out of business. How would they do it?

Do that.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

SparksCW

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
Dec 14, 2015
South, UK
Pretend there is a competitor, and their goal is to run you out of business. How would they do it?

Do that.

Awesome quote!

To the OP... you will never fast lane that business.

Ever.

Why?

Because it sounds like you work for someone else. Someone else who is old skool and doing their thing. That means you'll need to convince them and others to change, they won't see it the same way you do. There will be time and financial investments, risks etc.. I doubt they'd ever do the necessary. I tried in a similar situation for many years when I could have just started my own company and tried it for myself. Who knows where I'd be now?

However the industry can be fast laned. Everything can be fast laned one way or another. There is literally money in everything.

The question is, do you want to spend years trying to change others? and even if it succeeds what will you gain?

I'd suggest you look hard at the industry, look at what can be improved on and then create that product/software/whatever then sell it to multiple business in your industry.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Awesome quote!

To the OP... you will never fast lane that business.

Ever.

Why?

Because it sounds like you work for someone else. Someone else who is old skool and doing their thing. That means you'll need to convince them and others to change, they won't see it the same way you do. There will be time and financial investments, risks etc.. I doubt they'd ever do the necessary. I tried in a similar situation for many years when I could have just started my own company and tried it for myself. Who knows where I'd be now?

However the industry can be fast laned. Everything can be fast laned one way or another. There is literally money in everything.

The question is, do you want to spend years trying to change others? and even if it succeeds what will you gain?

I'd suggest you look hard at the industry, look at what can be improved on and then create that product/software/whatever then sell it to multiple business in your industry.
My first question would be "Can we get new business from digital marketing channels?"

"Sales solve everything." Start there rather than trying to cost cut, or do that idea extraction cr@p.

Does the website suck (seems big old school verticals are @Fox territory).

Are B2B/B2C clients/customers searching on Google? If so, who's capitalising? How are they doing it?

Who's quietly getting their ducks in a row online and slowly stealing customers from under the noses of the sleeping giants?

If you can find examples, print em out and "show, don't tell" your bosses. It's very compelling to see search volume and competitors mopping it up. I do this all the time (show them their bleeding neck).

If the business owner gets to see your report he might well be inclined to do something about it.

If they don't, well maybe just do it anyway for them, and then show the ad running. I do this sometimes too.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Question: Instead of being an intrapreneur, why not be an entrepreneur? (Also, I totally just spelled entrepreneur for the first time without spell check, score!)

Instead of you and the other 20 something trying to improve the business, why not be the competitor trying to drive the company out of business.

Sit down and write down the process for everything: Supply chain, purchasing, production, sales, distribution.
Now take each of those processes and map out what is wrong, inefficient or outdated. How would you improve them?

Once you've figured that out, you have the model for a new business. Do with that what you will, but if its something you can get capital for, you may have created your fastlane business, not someone elses.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
My first question would be "Can we get new business from digital marketing channels?"

"Sales solve everything." Start there rather than trying to cost cut, or do that idea extraction cr@p.

Does the website suck (seems big old school verticals are @Fox territory).

Are B2B/B2C clients/customers searching on Google? If so, who's capitalising? How are they doing it?

Who's quietly getting their ducks in a row online and slowly stealing customers from under the noses of the sleeping giants?

If you can find examples, print em out and "show, don't tell" your bosses. It's very compelling to see search volume and competitors mopping it up. I do this all the time (show them their bleeding neck).

If the business owner gets to see your report he might well be inclined to do something about it.

If they don't, well maybe just do it anyway for them, and then show the ad running. I do this sometimes too.
First, you probably ought to determine the current production capacity. Getting more sales and not being able to deliver will not only cost you future sales but will damage your relations with your current customers and suppliers. Not to mention it's a surefire way to implode. Been there...Done that. If your not at full capacity then by all means go get you some sales.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
Question: Instead of being an intrapreneur, why not be an entrepreneur? (Also, I totally just spelled entrepreneur for the first time without spell check, score!)

Instead of you and the other 20 something trying to improve the business, why not be the competitor trying to drive the company out of business.

Sit down and write down the process for everything: Supply chain, purchasing, production, sales, distribution.
Now take each of those processes and map out what is wrong, inefficient or outdated. How would you improve them?

Once you've figured that out, you have the model for a new business. Do with that what you will, but if its something you can get capital for, you may have created your fastlane business, not someone elses.
I like this. /\ Most shops have parts they run for certain customers at a loss or break even margin. They do this to maintain that customer for the other parts they run at higher volumes and larger margins. Identify those losers, focus on just those parts and develop a more efficient / flexible process. Start small and provide those parts to your current employer via your own shop.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
I know this industry well, and I am convinced that apart from minor tweaks, it will always be a relatively slow production process. One manufacturer I encountered some years ago was still using a stamping press that involved pulling on a rope to release the top part of the tool so that it would drop on the metal sitting on the lower part of the tool!

Unless your manufacturing processes are still in the 19th century like that one was, the only way I can suggest to improve production efficiency without compromising quality too much is to use photo etching. That won't suit many of your customers, but it can dramatically reduce production costs. I know of manufacturers using photo etching, but they don't disclose that to customers. Others spill the beans and tell customers too much about the manufacturing processes, generating an expectation of lower prices.

If you have the production capacity, improved marketing can almost certainly speed up growth, but aiming for the high end of the market could be used in conjunction with that. There is a high demand for superior quality corporate jewelry. Research that and see what you can do to improve profitability.

Don't hesitate to consider using solid Sterling Silver or even 9ct gold. Sterling Silver plated in 24ct gold could also attract customers. 24ct gold plated on base metals such as pewter or zinc is never attractive. Aim for the top. Pricing according to what the market will bear, rather than using a cost plus formula can lead to massive profits.

Walter

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
I know this industry well, and I am convinced that apart from minor tweaks, it will always be a relatively slow production process. One manufacturer I encountered some years ago was still using a stamping press that involved pulling on a rope to release the top part of the tool so that it would drop on the metal sitting on the lower part of the tool!

Unless your manufacturing processes are still in the 19th century like that one was, the only way I can suggest to improve production efficiency without compromising quality too much is to use photo etching. That won't suit many of your customers, but it can dramatically reduce production costs. I know of manufacturers using photo etching, but they don't disclose that to customers. Others spill the beans and tell customers too much about the manufacturing processes, generating an expectation of lower prices.

If you have the production capacity, improved marketing can almost certainly speed up growth, but aiming for the high end of the market could be used in conjunction with that. There is a high demand for superior quality corporate jewelry. Research that and see what you can do to improve profitability.

Don't hesitate to consider using solid Sterling Silver or even 9ct gold. Sterling Silver plated in 24ct gold could also attract customers. 24ct gold plated on base metals such as pewter or zinc is never attractive. Aim for the top. Pricing according to what the market will bear, rather than using a cost plus formula can lead to massive profits.

Walter
So not true. Granted, we don't know enough about the specifics of this particular shop. But, if it's high volume a simple relocation or change in the way they load a press could shave a few seconds off of the cycle time. Multiply that by a few million cycles and well, you can do the math.

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
So not true. Granted, we don't know enough about the specifics of this particular shop. But, if it's high volume a simple relocation or change in the way they load a press could shave a few seconds off of the cycle time. Multiply that by a few million cycles and well, you can do the math.

What exactly isn't true about what he said ? Be specific, you glazed over the post with no real value add. He added industry specific information ; simply saying "not true" doesn't really add anything to the conversation.

Secondly, shaving a few seconds of labor costs by cutting production time by a few seconds per run doesn't really add any value either. Paying a cnc worker at say, 40$ an hour(well above industry standard), increasing production time by 25% saves only 16c per hour.

Watch the dollars and the cents look after themselves.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
What exactly isn't true about what he said ? Be specific, you glazed over the post with no real value add. He added industry specific information ; simply saying "not true" doesn't really add anything to the conversation.

Secondly, shaving a few seconds of labor costs by cutting production time by a few seconds per run doesn't really add any value either. Paying a cnc worker at say, 40$ an hour(well above industry standard), increasing production time by 25% saves only 16c per hour.

Watch the dollars and the cents look after themselves.
I thought I was very specific. I was challenging his comment about the only way is with etching. Simply not true. Shaving seconds off of cycle times is absolutely saving money and increasing capacity. What part of that do u not understand?

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
"So not true".

That's specific?

I guess you would need to lay out for th rest of us what a "vague" response would be.

Saving seconds off a skilled labor job isn't going to get anyone anywhere quick. You're talking about literally next to no increase in capacity. Streamline sales, increase output, sure.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
"So not true".

That's specific?

I guess you would need to lay out for th rest of us what a "vague" response would be.

Saving seconds off a skilled labor job isn't going to get anyone anywhere quick. You're talking about literally next to no increase in capacity. Streamline sales, increase output, sure.
Ok. I agree with what you are saying. But, running high volume parts off a stamping press isn't skilled labor.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Ok. I agree with what you are saying. But, running high volume parts off a stamping press isn't skilled labor.
There's no unskilled labor operating stamping presses because all the unskilled ones have lost their fingers.

Regarding what is true: In many stamping operations there will be multiple stampings done per second, so shaving seconds off the cycle in those cases would be impossible.

We are hypothesizing because we don't know the product/s being stamped. I just made a suggestion that I have seen work in some factories. The OP would know if that's worth considering, those of us reading this thread wouldn't know.

I certainly didn't say the only way to speed up production is to use photo etching, but in those cases where it is appropriate the speed of production is vastly quicker, and using photo etching instead of stamping could just require thinking outside the box.

Speeding up stamping can also be done with a huge investment in a CNC controlled rotary stamping press, but that isn't suitable for a lot of types of product also.

Walter

_Master_Shake

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Nov 28, 2016
Illinois
I'm a manufacturing engineer, although my specialty is CNC machining (specifically milling/boring). You're right, you are in an old school industry. An industry that probably doesn't deal with retail customers, mostly B2B probably? Others have mentioned good ideas as far as Kaizen/5S/Lean. From experience I know that changeovers take up a lot of non-value added time. Maybe you could do a SMED (Single Minute Exchange of Dies) event?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.