The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I hate gurus, I have a poor mindset, I'm afraid to sell and I'm trapped in my own mind.

A post of a ranting nature...

delacroix

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 28, 2018
To start, I’m gonna try to make this Rant as constructive as possible. Perhaps others will read this and feel the same way and at the same time I need to get this off my chest.

I’d call myself a Wantrepreneur but I’m not sure that even fits me, I’ve done very little with business. The most I’ve done is

• Made 100 bucks off Fiverr
  • Did some Content Work for a Landscaping Site, made about 100 bucks
  • Turn up 500 dollars through putting an ad for landscaping services
  • "Cold Email” clients for content writing, never got any
  • “Cold Email” clients for Instagram, never got any
In total, I’ve probably made 200 dollars online. Mainly through service related businesses that tied my time to the money.

During this time, I’ve been following some gurus which I’m going to put on blast because they haven’t done anything for me and have caused more frustration than solace. Maybe others have been following these guys to with no real success.

I’m at a point right now, where I don’t trust ANYONE online. I just don’t trust people, I’ve been burned too many times by listening to people who've told me they knew what they were doing only for it to be all lies. The only advice I trust is from someone who CLEARLY knows their stuff but with that said, I’m still under “business” paralysis. I don’t know what to do.

It’s driving me mad.

I lay down on the couch beating myself up about why I can’t seem to start something. I wake-up and all I can think about is business, I’ve slept more than I’d like to admit the past month because it’s the only time I don’t have to deal with the shear frustration.

Last month, I made the decision to stop following these guys but their poorly thought out 2 cent business advice still rattles around in my head.

To correct that, I’ve ordered about 20 books, written by Billionaires, including autobiographies/biographies and of course classics like Think And Grow Rich (which came early and I finished it), I even bought books like “The Intelligent Investor” and I’m currently reading books like “1000 ways to make 1000 dollars” (published 1937 and Warren Buffet credits it to starting his interest in business) this has been the most helpful of all books I’ve read so far (along with The Millionaire FastLane by you know who).

Here's a picture of the books:

mq9WC1n

mq9WC1n

Through reading some of the books that have already arrived, I’m beginning to feel like my instinct is right and I’ve done a terrible job taking care of the “business” seeds in my mind, I’ve put shit soil down and neglected watering them. My mindset is all wrong and I need to fix it, which is why I’ve got these books. I want to be getting information from credible sources and not gurus.

With this said though, I wonder if the books are just a way to procrastinate even though I can say that so far they have definitely helped me see how business is a lot more dynamic than it’s made out to be.

On top of this, I have no job. I’m broke and I need money fast, I can’t afford to sit around and wait for a business to develop.

The job market right now is poor, there’s very little out there (except maybe a call center job) so my line of thinking is if I start a small business online, that’s going to beat any call center job.

Which is what inspired my last “business”, but I only pitched a couple people (the Instagram business) and realized I’m just not a slimy person, I do not feel comfortable pitching services if I have no clue what the hell I’m doing.

That’s the big problem here.

All of the business advice I’ve followed (mainly from the gurus) has been to basically sell snake oil, to push a product down your customers throat so far that they have no choice but to take it. I hate that.

Even the idea of hard-selling, I don’t like it (and I know it’s importance). Every person that has “taught” me how to sell, has basically pressured the buyer into no other option but to buy. I’ve become “anti-selling” which I know is a terrible mindset to have if I want to run a business.

The thing is though, I DO want to help people. I actually enjoy helping people but I’ve been following “money hungry gurus” for so long, that all I see in my eyes are dollar signs and it goes against my core as a person.

I saw a Tweet by one of these gurus which basically goes against everything I’m about.

It said this.

“I don’t care who you are.

Friends, family. I don’t care.

Don’t call me.

Unless you’ve got my money.

I only accept calls if they’re about my money"

Man...

Just writing that pisses me off.

I hate the “money money money” mentality.

I hate it.

But at the same time, I need it and I do want to be wealthy.

The mindset I’ve installed into my brain has been all take take take. No real value offered.

I’ve gone against selling because everyone that’s sold to me has been a cheat (for the most part), I don’t know what a successful business model really looks like and my mentors (if you want to call them that) are gurus who’ve pushed a money hungry mindset on me for years. I’m at a point, where I’m rejecting any business advice and I don’t trust people, plus I’m jaded about business and selling. I’m jaded about money and I’m sick of it.

I LOVE the idea of what Henry Ford did, he built something that ACTUALLY helped others, he didn’t sell a stupid F*cking course, he CHANGED LIVES and he’s got proof. I’d love to do something like that, create something with that type of impact. That’s the type of business that interests me but I have no clue where to start, I have no “ideas” and I’m not in a position where I can wait for them.

My position right now, like I said is to read these business books (books have changed my life in many ways, so I don’t see why I can’t do the same for business) and either start a “hustle” (god I hate that word) or work at the damn call centre and start saving capital.

Maybe someone will read this and go “damn” that’s me and if that’s the case, I want to tell you you’re not alone (maybe we can start a group) and I’m sure others will read this and roll their eyes. Whatever the case is, I want to say that I tried to make this a semi-productive rant and hopefully accomplished that.

What do you think of my plan?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 11.57.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 11.57.14 PM.png
    205.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
My mindset is all wrong and I need to fix it,

Your mindset has been shaped by the gurus.

Instead of paying attention to gurus, start paying attention to the world around you.

I don't understand how starting a business has ANYTHING to do with gurus.

You find a problem and solve it. Make something better. Offer legit value, like Henry Ford!

If the problem you find has meaning and purpose in your life, bonus points.

The gurus are selling "making money" which is why you're frustrated. Hustles, grinds, arbitrages, but most likely, not a lot of value.

The "Making Money" shtick attracts a large, yet particular crowd of losers, gullible, and easy to quit.

Aim for a productocracy, all this guru crap disappears.

samuraijack

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 27, 2014
New York, New York
You're on the greatest entrepreneurial forum on the internet, created by the author of 2 of the best entrepreneurial books ever written. The books & forum have helped many people achieve the life they want, become millionaires, and create things of value.

And you're here complaining about gurus, telling us you'll never trust anyones advice online, don't know how to offer value, and uploaded a list of books (which does not contain any of the previously mentioned 2 books TMF or Unscripted ) for us to approve. Time to put the big boy pants on and take responsibility for your life and not blame others.

delacroix

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 28, 2018
You're on the greatest entrepreneurial forum on the internet, created by the author of 2 of the best entrepreneurial books ever written. The books & forum have helped many people achieve the life they want, become millionaires, and create things of value.

And you're here complaining about gurus, telling us you'll never trust anyones advice online, don't know how to offer value, and uploaded a list of books (which does not contain any of the previously mentioned 2 books TMF or Unscripted ) for us to approve. Time to put the big boy pants on and take responsibility for your life and not blame others.

I agree.

Last edited:

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
The "Making Money" shtick attracts a large, yet particular crowd of losers, gullible, and easy to quit.

Aim for a productocracy, all this guru crap disappears.

but there are soo many losers out there...... LOL

delacroix

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 28, 2018
Guess this post was what I needed.

Today I've taken action,

I've been cold-emailing folks that I are in niches that I have experience in about growing their Instagram.

Sent about 7 messages.

No response yet.

Also put a photography classified up for taking pictures for Instagram.

See what happens.

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Stop following gurus and stop buying books. In reality, you only need a few books on a few select subjects. The problem is buying more books thinking the new book is going to give you the secret. No matter what you read nothing happens until you act on something. Focus on one thing, learn it really well, learn to make money with it. Don't worry about anything else. When the time comes you can decide where to move from there. Also, this forum is all you really need. There is tons of resources to hustle and start businesses here. You just have to escape the new shiny object syndrome. Stop trying to hop to the next thing because you feel it'll be easier. You're chasing money.

Kruiser

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
318%
Aug 22, 2017
Arizona
Get Tony Robbins' two main books. Should cost you about $10 used on Amazon. His ideas will change your life (if applied).

delacroix

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 28, 2018
Got my first response from cold-messaging today.

I'm basically offering services to grow Instagrams and improve followers/put more people into their sales funnel.

I think I had him but he asked me if I had a proven formula, which I don't as I never really done anything like this before. I was honest and said that I don't but I tried to come from an angle of "you only pay me if you see results and like my service." I also tried to come from an angle of "Why would I reach out if I'm going to waste my time?"

He told me he'll think about it.

Have to message him in a couple days and follow-up.

Zcott

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 24, 2018
You are obviously frustrated. It must have felt nice to vent it all out. It sounds like you need a vacation away from everything for a week to recenter yourself.

You seem really into Instagram marketing and you really want to help people. Why don't you contact local businesses to you and offer your services to them? You'll have a better chance of closing if you visit them in person and have a number to call instead of hiding behind an email. Help local businesses help other people. That's good value.

delacroix

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 28, 2018
You are obviously frustrated. It must have felt nice to vent it all out. It sounds like you need a vacation away from everything for a week to recenter yourself.

You seem really into Instagram marketing and you really want to help people. Why don't you contact local businesses to you and offer your services to them? You'll have a better chance of closing if you visit them in person and have a number to call instead of hiding behind an email. Help local businesses help other people. That's good value.

Yes, I was frustrated and even though I may have temporary ruined my reputation here by posting a rant as my first post. It did actually help me out. It felt good to just say what I've been feeling. (if anyone needs to rant, don't hesitate to message me. We've all been there.)

That's a great way to look at it. I like Instagram because it combines a few things I'm good at it.

- Photography

- Storytelling

I'm going to give that a shot, the first thing I think I need to do though is try my methods, buy a Instagram course on uDemy and learn more about Instagram marketing then create a business account and grow it. That way if people say, do you have proof? I can show them the account that I've grown. It feels awkward to say "well...no", kinda reminds me of the whole "how do I get work experience, if no one will hire me because I have no experience" thing that first time job applicants go through.

samuraijack

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 27, 2014
New York, New York
That's a great way to look at it. I like Instagram because it combines a few things I'm good at it.

- Photography

- Storytelling

I'm going to give that a shot, the first thing I think I need to do though is try my methods, buy a Instagram course on uDemy and learn more about Instagram marketing then create a business account and grow it. That way if people say, do you have proof? I can show them the account that I've grown. It feels awkward to say "well...no", kinda reminds me of the whole "how do I get work experience, if no one will hire me because I have no experience" thing that first time job applicants go through.

If I were you, I would take my photography skills (something I have actual experience in) and offer them to brand's with crappy instragram accounts. Not just any brands, but brands in a niche where good photography is a standard.

Why would I hire you with no previous experience? Good example photos on your own instagram + you're undercutting by price & over delivering by quality and customer service. That's all I need to see.

Offer to take a certain # of lifestyle/beauty/in-use/etc.. photographs of their products/services & post them for a monthly fee. Remove a daily task for a business owner? $$$

Then say to one of your paying clients "hey I heard doing this _______ can grow your instagram account. I'll include it in my services for you if I could use you as a testimonial" Get paid AND you have actual instagram accounts to learn how to grow with.

Disclaimer: I have no experience in doing any of the above mentioned suggestion. It's just something I thought of. Even if this plan is shit, the biggest takeaway is that you can think outside the box. There's many ways of getting to were you want to be :).

delacroix

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 28, 2018
If I were you, I would take my photography skills (something I have actual experience in) and offer them to brand's with crappy instragram accounts. Not just any brands, but brands in a niche where good photography is a standard.

Why would I hire you with no previous experience? Good example photos on your own instagram + you're undercutting by price & over delivering by quality and customer service. That's all I need to see.

Offer to take a certain # of lifestyle/beauty/in-use/etc.. photographs of their products/services & post them for a monthly fee. Remove a daily task for a business owner? $$$

Then say to one of your paying clients "hey I heard doing this _______ can grow your instagram account. I'll include it in my services for you if I could use you as a testimonial" Get paid AND you have actual instagram accounts to learn how to grow with.

Disclaimer: I have no experience in doing any of the above mentioned suggestion. It's just something I thought of. Even if this plan is sh*t, the biggest takeaway is that you can think outside the box. There's many ways of getting to were you want to be :).

Hey I like this idea.

It's interesting how in business your plans shift as you take more and more action.

The nice thing about this is that I already have 10k plus photos that I haven't published and could be used for Instagram accounts.

redrenegade

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jul 19, 2018
OP -- sometimes it's actually okay to take a call centre job even if it's just for the time being. The plus of it is that it gives you something to do, keeps your mind active, and it helps you to pay the bills. It could also help you to fund your big idea or big goal. It doesn't have to be your forever job - it's just a stepping stone to your next destination.

I'm in a recession at the moment and there's no shortage of people getting extra jobs. Most Uber drivers I have chatted to are a driver to help pay the bills as they lost their jobs. It doesn't make a lot and technically it's below minimum wage but it helps them float during this time. I have a friend who does actually have a stable job in the government (just clerical stuff) and she has 3 extra jobs like ushering and all that. I also know someone who just finished up their 4 month contract job and was completely happy to get a call back at his old supermarket job during Christmas to stock the shelves.

Meanwhile, if you can afford $64 for a year I'd recommend an app called Fabulous. It used to be a freemium but it's not any more. It helps you to build good habits and a good mindset. It comes out from Duke University's behaviourial science department but I think the people must have graduated or something.

Get Tony Robbins' two main books. Should cost you about $10 used on Amazon. His ideas will change your life (if applied).

What are his two main books?

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
just do some pushups bro and go for a jog then come home and take a cold shower.
You'll feel better already.

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
Yeah, that's what you need, to read some more books. :bored: FFS.

Go and work as a salesman for somebody else to learn the ropes, just like everyone else has. Dan Lok sought out the best salesman he could find and paid him to work for him as an assistant for a year.

You have to filter out mouths. You should only be learning on-the-job from mentors who're actually doing or have done what you want to do.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.