The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I got a new web design client... what next?

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

OzzieMan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
May 29, 2011
So im a website designer and developer and i've been doing it for a while for the company i used to work for....but now i have my own client for whom i'll be developing a website. We are still in the very initial stages of discussions but he'll sign up for sure.

The thing is, while i have a strong technical background in web development, i don't have a background in doing this as a freelancer or agency owner. I have an overall idea about what to do next but i still feel a bit lost. Like the next thing im gonna work on is the scope of work. And then a contract perhaps.

Is there a course out there from where i can learn more about "how to run this business" side of things? I've seen a lot of "How to start your web agency" courses but they all mostly focus on how to get clients. I'm not worried about how to get clients, at this moment. I wanna learn more about what to do "after" i get a client.

Can anyone help?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Hey @OzzieMan - I run an exact program on this side of things and have sponsored the forum for two years.

I think this is the first time I have ever jumped into a thread to link it like this, but since you are directly asking.

CoderSales

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 3, 2020
Colorado
So im a website designer and developer and i've been doing it for a while for the company i used to work for....but now i have my own client for whom i'll be developing a website. We are still in the very initial stages of discussions but he'll sign up for sure.

The thing is, while i have a strong technical background in web development, i don't have a background in doing this as a freelancer or agency owner. I have an overall idea about what to do next but i still feel a bit lost. Like the next thing im gonna work on is the scope of work. And then a contract perhaps.

Is there a course out there from where i can learn more about "how to run this business" side of things? I've seen a lot of "How to start your web agency" courses but they all mostly focus on how to get clients. I'm not worried about how to get clients, at this moment. I wanna learn more about what to do "after" i get a client.

Can anyone help?
FIRST thing to do is actually close the client with a contract (you can use DocuSign) and get them to pay with a payment processor like Stripe. Nothing is 'real' until the funds hit your account. Then do the Statement of Work.

For payment, 50% down deposit (non refundable) to pay for the wireframe and design phase => 40% down to then pay for the development on your staging domain => remaining 10% upon deployment. That way you get the most amount of $$ upfront and protects you if the client ghosts.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
The next step is to provide value.

Talk to your client and figure out what their problems and needs are. Find a way to solve said problems and needs with the website and systems you're building.

And like CoderSales mentioned above, get paid at least 50% in advance. If they do not want to put down 50% now, they will NOT pay you the full amount later. Trust me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.