The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I am unable to record videos, I get too anxious

Anything related to matters of the mind

Zayan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Dec 31, 2023
I made up my mind, I'll work on creating a brand/image and I will do it by talking on YouTube, finding like-minded individuals and making money with them. I have all the video ideas noted down and I have all the product ideas but I keep running into the same issue

I just can't execute it. Whenever I get on camera I get anxious I can't bring myself to make the video or talk to it. I re-watch the clips and just delete them, either i talked weirdly or looked off it could be anything

What are some effective steps for me to man tf up and just record the video?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Nov 21, 2016
Just do it. There is no magical tip that can make you better at it without just diving in and practicing. Accept that you will suck at it at first. Being bad at it is the first step toward getting better. The worst thing you can do is nothing.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
405%
Apr 16, 2019
I re-watch the clips and just delete them, either i talked weirdly or looked off it could be anything

Keep doing that, and every time make it better.

Do this until it looks and feels more aesthetic to you.

What you're noticing about yourself in the videos is the bridge between what you intend to present and how you actually act in the world.

Think of it as a game instead of getting anxious about success. Make it about the improvement process. Improve the lighting, improve the composition, the content, the type of shots, the transitions, the audio, the script, and every other thing you notice about your productions.

And them improve everything you notice about yourself. How are you sitting. What are you doing with your hands. Where are you looking. How do you speak.

Bounce Back

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 30, 2023
Florida
I'll add - not everybody should be in front of a camera/behind a mic. Not as a limiting belief but don't try to fit a square into a round hole because you've seen other people make money doing something.

There are people you can hire on fiverr and upwork who can do it for less than you would make doing minimum wage over the hours you will repeatedly spend getting better. If you haven't even proved demand of what you are doing yet I venture that will be the quickest way. Also makes you have to double check yourself on how much you really believe the idea because talking is free spending money isn't.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas

What you're noticing about yourself in the videos is the bridge between what you intend to present and how you actually act in the world.

Think of it as a game instead of getting anxious about success. Make it about the improvement process. Improve the lighting, improve the composition, the content, the type of shots, the transitions, the audio, the script, and every other thing you notice about your productions.

And them improve everything you notice about yourself. How are you sitting. What are you doing with your hands. Where are you looking. How do you speak.
Those that are good at it make it look easy. I would have about one hour of content to cut down to 10 minutes. Initially I tried demonstrating, rerecording, and talking at the same time while being mindful of lighting, camera angles, and back ground noise. After a while I changed to voice overs and it made it easier to get that done during editing. No one sees the massive number of outtakes required to get a final product. Maybe doing voiceovers will help you settle down? Good luck.

ensoniq2k

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Mar 15, 2021
Germany (South-West)
I made up my mind, I'll work on creating a brand/image and I will do it by talking on YouTube, finding like-minded individuals and making money with them. I have all the video ideas noted down and I have all the product ideas but I keep running into the same issue

I just can't execute it. Whenever I get on camera I get anxious I can't bring myself to make the video or talk to it. I re-watch the clips and just delete them, either i talked weirdly or looked off it could be anything

Buy a teleprompter and write a script upfront. It upped my game from "trying to comprehend a full sentence on camera" to 70k views in 4 months.

Read the script and practice moving your body way more than you think you should. Don't try to be like a home shopping TV presenter, be more like someone talking to a friend about a topic you're passionate in.

Then post that stuff and see what people say. Try to improve on that. People have told me I move my hands too much now so that's my next improvement I work on. I never liked how I sounded on recordings but literally no one else gave a darn about it so don't worry too much.

Akaushra

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Apr 15, 2023
Im starting YouTube too and decided just to use the 3rd take every time. Works like a charm.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Holy crap. The thread below is nearly 10 years old.

@Zayan ... watch the first video posted in it.

DoTheWork

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jun 12, 2019
I recently started making YouTube videos where my face is on the screen.

I'm not comfortable at all on camera and have been dealing with a health issue that results in severe brain fog (at one point it was bad enough that I couldn't read).

I got on camera, have to do lots of retakes, and I still accidentally say the wrong words or make mistakes in the final video.

Guess what?

People love my videos so far and I have not received a single ounce of negative feedback. Only positive. I've already received over 100k views on YouTube with roughly 10 videos.

People don't notice things like you think they will.

Bounce Back

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 30, 2023
Florida
It is interesting a few people don't like my suggestion that he reevaluate if its something for him/necessary at this stage.

If he needed to build a house would you tell him he has to build it? If he wanted to start a restaurant does he have to be the cook and the accountant and the waiter?

We have very little context here outside of a) he says he has an idea to make a youtube b) he is not currently good at making videos. Is it truly proper fastlane advice to tell him to spend hours upon hours investing in the craft of making these videos? It doesn't even have control in the first place being attached to youtube so why not just not waste time and pay someone a few bucks to make some videos quickly and test your thesis anyways?

Let's have a conversation not just fling poop emojis - though you can leave them I don't really care it's just if you have a thought I'd love to hear it and reconsider my position. This forum is a bit different then when I was last here so I admit it could just be a different way things are done now.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

Just upload them.

Don’t be a perfectionist.

Next one will be better.

Be thick.

There is fine balance between get things going on to push for the next milestone versus demanding quality in things u do.

Last edited:

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
To add to the convo. Creating content for YT is constant grind. It's a useful tool for promotion of product or business, but it is not a business itself. It can earn you some monthly income but if the channel is built around you, it is not a sellable business. Yes, some influencers are making good monthly income but they are posting fresh content frequently. The setup recording, posting, and commenting cycle is tiresome. The only exit I can see is to stop making content at some point and/or create a product to sell.

On the plus side, it is nice to get the monthly checks for content that is over 3 years old. It has also lead to other contacts.

AppleTree

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jun 27, 2023
Try looking at the first video of your favourite youtubers, I can guarantee that 99% of them were nervous and didn't make the best videos. That didn't stop them from making better videos and gaining an audience.

Zayan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Dec 31, 2023
Just do it. There is no magical tip that can make you better at it without just diving in and practicing. Accept that you will suck at it at first. Being bad at it is the first step toward getting better. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Thanks man, I started thinking about making videos a year from now, Now i have finally started doing it

Zayan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Dec 31, 2023

thanks man, your tips worked. Now it's all about doing this consistently and making more videos

Zayan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Dec 31, 2023

Zayan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Dec 31, 2023
Just upload them.

Don’t be a perfectionist.

Next one will be better.

Be thick.

There is fine balance between get things going on to push for the next milestone versus demanding quality in things u do.
Im worried I'll get clowned on the media and my image would become something to laugh at instead of something taken seriously

Zayan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Dec 31, 2023
Try looking at the first video of your favourite youtubers, I can guarantee that 99% of them were nervous and didn't make the best videos. That didn't stop them from making better videos and gaining an audience.
Thanks man, thats how I started

Zayan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Dec 31, 2023
It is interesting a few people don't like my suggestion that he reevaluate if its something for him/necessary at this stage.

If he needed to build a house would you tell him he has to build it? If he wanted to start a restaurant does he have to be the cook and the accountant and the waiter?

We have very little context here outside of a) he says he has an idea to make a youtube b) he is not currently good at making videos. Is it truly proper fastlane advice to tell him to spend hours upon hours investing in the craft of making these videos? It doesn't even have control in the first place being attached to youtube so why not just not waste time and pay someone a few bucks to make some videos quickly and test your thesis anyways?

Let's have a conversation not just fling poop emojis - though you can leave them I don't really care it's just if you have a thought I'd love to hear it and reconsider my position. This forum is a bit different then when I was last here so I admit it could just be a different way things are done now.
your suggestion is like telling a builder to pay someone to build the houses for him repeatedly instead of teaching him how to build and overcome obstacles.

If I wanted to film only 1 or 2 videos perhaps your suggestion would have been the right decision

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Aug 8, 2021
Yup, Conan O'brien comes to mind, he was such a nervous wreck his first show. Surprise, people actually double down on supporting him, because we are inspired by underdogs that struggle but persist.

Bounce Back

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 30, 2023
Florida
your suggestion is like telling a builder to pay someone to build the houses for him repeatedly instead of teaching him how to build and overcome obstacles.

If I wanted to film only 1 or 2 videos perhaps your suggestion would have been the right decision
Hard disagree from me - you don't even know if there is audience yet or if your idea is even going to deliver value they would pay for. Framed like this you are making a commitment as if you need to make hundreds of videos.

If you are saying you won't know until you have a gigantic volume of videos if the idea was fastlane I highly advise stop now and reconsider another way. Anyone saying different I fear is encouraging you to waste your time. I know this may not be what you want to hear though.

To be clear: Nothing wrong with taking a shot and see how it goes on your own but you came asking because you say you were so nervous and can't execute, etc. If you are saying you can now then just do it and see how it goes.

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Aug 8, 2021
Hard disagree from me - you don't even know if there is audience yet or if your idea is even going to deliver value they would pay for. Framed like this you are making a commitment as if you need to make hundreds of videos.

If you are saying you won't know until you have a gigantic volume of videos if the idea was fastlane I highly advise stop now and reconsider another way. Anyone saying different I fear is encouraging you to waste your time. I know this may not be what you want to hear though.
He seems intent on making it a skill for himself, and the fact he asked this to begin with shows his intent to grow into the type of person that can do it.

OP, just expect to suck at first, nothing wrong with that. Get as many reps in as you can. Remember no one really cares. Don't go for perfect. Perfect is the enemy of good, and anything beyond good is just preference anyway.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Im worried I'll get clowned on the media and my image would become something to laugh at instead of something taken seriously
Stop worrying about what other people think. At the start no-one sees our videos anyway. It's not a case of build it and they will come. It's only as we get better at videos that people will start to see them.

Also, as @Shono said... no-one cares. Everyone's more interested in themselves.

Seems you missed the very first video in my old thread, which is the first video on my YouTube channel. Let me drop it here because I think the message matters:

View: https://youtu.be/mUs5Gowvnhc?si=4UFxCOrmtQI7FH5z

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Aug 8, 2021
Stop worrying about what other people think. At the start no-one sees our videos anyway. It's not a case of build it and they will come. It's only as we get better at videos that people will start to see them.

Also, as @Shono said... no-one cares. Everyone's more interested in themselves.

Seems you missed the very first video in my old thread, which is the first video on my YouTube channel. Let me drop it here because I think the message matters:

View: https://youtu.be/mUs5Gowvnhc?si=4UFxCOrmtQI7FH5z
Also important to keep in mind, those that clown you are the type of shitheads that you don’t want in your life. So if they expose themselves, you get to phase them out of your life! Win-win. Only insecure people put others down, winners are focusing on themselves and know there is enough abundance in the world to go around and therefore choose to lift others up.

At the end of the day, there are a million philosophies as to why you should do it, which is why people procrastinate, they’re looking for the golden piece of advice, so don’t waste any more time when you can just do it.

No one is ready before they start. Doing it is the evidence that proves you are ready.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
You will overcome this mindset once you upload the video.

You realise that people won’t laugh you and its an unwarranted fear.

The reason that they won’t laugh at you it is not that they are nice. People always care and worry about themselves, like what you are doing now, and any negative opinion about you won’t stay in their brain more than three second.

People care about themselves but not you.

The worst thing can happen is you don’t get views or most people don’t finish watching them.

I ll be rich if I can get hundred of millions people laughing at me for being a clown and going viral about it. And I will be happily be a clown.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
those that clown you are the type of shitheads that you don’t want in your life.
Good point. Put yourself out there and you'll not only find out who supports you but also who you might be better off avoiding.

I remember posting Snapchat stories to Facebook and a friend from years ago replying with something snarky. He could have just been trying to be funny, but it just reminded me why he's a friend from years ago.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.