The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

how to start online counseling business

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

m1522632

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Apr 15, 2011
I have developed a concept of a psychological training/coaching and it does follow the fast lane idea that I learned from the MJ’s book. It gives an additional value to its clients - the idea is to train people to be more social, develop communication skills and teach them how to make friends. (I can share more details if somebody is interested)

I currently have a website and a few trainers who agreed to train people online (through Skype and Gmail Video chat). This is my business model. There are also some other options which are not that easy to start: offline group training, e-Books/DVD with training

So the question is how to develop it further... I have a vision how to build a brand around this but it's hard to move forward now…

Ideally, I need a business partner who I would discuss it to find solutions....who would be promoting this through writing articles, blogs, forums etc together with me. But it's difficult to find such a person... maybe it would be easier if I have something up and running?

what would you advice?

Thanks,

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Inphinity

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 20, 2007
Auckland, NZ
Why do you need a business partner? You say to "discuss it to find solutions" and "who would be promoting this"... but ask yourself - why does *someone else* have to do that?

If you are after advice on how to solve specific problems, I'm sure people here can offer good solutions.
And what's to stop you promoting it yourself?

I don't mean to be critical, but I wonder if "I need a business partner" is just an excuse (even subconsciously) that is stopping you going forward.

m1522632

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Apr 15, 2011
I can’t train people because I am not professional with psychology…
I also need someone to discuss my ideas on how to further develop it…
I have some advertising/promotional materials but I need a second pair of eyes…
It’s always stimulates when you work with someone.. out of my experience

zipan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 14, 2011
Why can't you train people??? You don't need to be a professional psychologist to help people with their lives.
For example: You can't learn to be a fortune-teller, but many people go to a non-professional fortune-teller.
So what's the problem??

LOVE, Light & Peace
Zipan

valuegiver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 18, 2010
Counseling business is not fastlane.

Kinsey6287

Blazin Fast!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 2, 2009
I could see this concept being potentially fastlane. Example:

If you create videos that are sort of "lectures" on how to make yourself more outgoing, or how to approach people, and load them into a database that people can log onto and view, this could be very fastlane.

How many guys out there want to know what works when trying to pck up a girl?

You create your lecture videos, involving actual pick up attempts (hopefully successful) and load them to your website database.

People pay a monthly fee for a logon (much like a dating website)

They view your videos, your blogs, or commentaries and attempt to tackle the real world making themselves more outgoing, or winning a date.

Then have another section to the website where they can talka bout their successful, or failed, attempts.

You would only have to build the website and then maintain it. Maybe adding new videos, lessons, or lectures each week/month.

Minimal work, and a lot of people would probably pay the monthly fee to learn how to pick up chicks, or make themselves more outgoing.

You drink your margarita on the sands of Cozumel while thousands are paying for your website each month.

Sounds fastlane to me.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada

How is this a productive contribution?

And btw, "fastlane" like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What's not fastlane to you could be very much so to the person creating this business. We all have different needs, wants and goals.

And besides that any business can be made fastlane, it's all in the structure and execution. Building cars wasn't fastlane until Henry Ford came along. ;)

dustinash

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 20, 2011
I could potentially be interested in collaborating on something like this or serving as a researcher/consultant.

I have a bachelors in Psychology with 30 courses directly in psychoogy ranging from topics like counselling and interpersonal relationships to personality, etc. I have studied extensively on NLP, communication and charisma; essentially the arts of "finding affiliation and making friends" as well as self-improvement. Occupationally my background is in sales where I made it to director of sales in a medium sized company.

I can tell you this.. sales is at the heart of charisma and vice versa. Counselling has been so bastardized with "trauma care" I think its lost sight of its real potential which is optimizing a person's life. Not just making the "sick" well but making the "well" better. So often people get stuck in a rut of going over their problems and turning their perceived pathology into their life, feeding into what ekart tole calls the pain body. My theory is that if a person needs to deal with that to get closure or at points fine, but the ultimate goal should be to acheive self-actualization and mastery of oneself and this includes social presence and prowess. This is how i conduct my life and its also what shifted me away from pursuing advanced degrees in psych: The simple fact is most peoples problems are financial. If you have enough money, health problems can be dealt with, romance happens a lot easier and you are able to live easier in the moment with less stress.

That said even having the right mindset can go a far way to accomplishing that and for sure some people need spot help, especially in the social hemisphere because.. charisma is an art and science! one that is not taught in school, but can be learned because there are principles to attraction. That is where a market for counselling really sits.

My current focus is in graphic design, photography and videography, all of which I do.. So like I said, pretty much any aspect of your proposed business is something that I have expertise in and have considered. So if you have projects that you would like done you can contact me.

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007
I would think about keeping your concept connected to "helping someone do ____
" and producing videos, printed material, etc that can be distributed and thus turned fastlane w/proper execution.

You can't do "therapy" over the internet or any fastlane way (for the most part), as one of the basic concepts is "transference", a phenomenom that can only occur with 2 people (therapist & client) sitting in the same room.

m1522632

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Apr 15, 2011
I would think about keeping your concept connected to "helping someone do ____
" and producing videos, printed material, etc that can be distributed and thus turned fastlane w/proper execution.

You can't do "therapy" over the internet or any fastlane way (for the most part), as one of the basic concepts is "transference", a phenomenom that can only occur with 2 people (therapist & client) sitting in the same room.

why not there are a lot of websites dedicated to online counseling... just google it.

m1522632

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Apr 15, 2011

There are some options to develop it further such as a group training, DVD, eBooks, etc. It would be nice to build a community of people who would use my concept in real life.. like Dianetics.. but it’s not as simple as it sounds

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
Ideally, I need a business partner who I would discuss it to find solutions....who would be promoting this through writing articles, blogs, forums etc together with me. But it's difficult to find such a person... maybe it would be easier if I have something up and running?

Contact the psych department of your nearest college/university. You might be able to hook up with a professor that would be interested in being the intellecutual credentials, while you run the business. DO NOT let the professor touch the business side.

livebig

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
May 23, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I find a lot of these comments about a particular business not being fastlane incredibly frustrating.

The point of this site is to think outside the box and to help others, and I believe with the right strategies and direction, one can turn literally ANY business into one that's fastlane. By cutting someone off immediately saying "That's not fastlane" removes many from the brain-stretching activities that come from creating new and incredible businesses.

That's like saying that the car was a bad idea because it wasn't done before. Did that stop Henry Ford? Or the computer business. Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Michael Dell. One must understand that stretching the potential between what is and what can be can COMPLETELY alter your ability to create businesses and generate wealth.

But anyways, those of you who say it can't be done. You're absolutely right. Have a great day.

Michael

smith360

Banned
Apr 9, 2011
Compared to traditional therapy, online counseling and e-therapy is one of the fastest growing industries throughout the world, according to a summer 2009 article in EAP Digest. Many clients have found this mode of counseling effective, but there may be many questions surrounding legality and feasibility for the counselor who wishes to set up an online business. ehow gives a bog answer..Great thread ! :)

4th siglink removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.