The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to memorize ANYTHING

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
So, back in high school/college, I did a lot of studying on memory from the minds of Tony Buzan and others and I figured I would share my knowledge of how YOU can memorize almost any of the useless crap that your teachers want you to memorize. These are the same techniques that card counters use in order to beat blackjack.

The study of memory is called "mnemonics" and you've probably been somewhat introduced to it in your life. Whether you studied music - learning things like "Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge" for memorizing the treble clef, or "ROY G BIV" for memorizing the colors of the rainbow. Acronyms are a big part of how you can remember things with a fraction of the brainpower.

You know how you get songs stuck in your head? You can also use music to memorize things. For instance:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj-q2VNa89c

I know... that last song sounded pretty stupid. But if you listen to that thing for an hour straight, you bet your arse you're going to remember the U.S. presidents in order.

Another crucial tool for memorization is something called "The memory palace." This is the tool that card counters use in order to beat blackjack. Here's a great TED talk that refers to this:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6PoUg7jXsA

For more excellent info on memory, you can check out the books:
Use your perfect memory- Tony Buzan
Brain training: The complete visual program

Note: I am not affiliated with any of the previously mentioned books.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bryan James

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jul 1, 2018
Texas, USA
I read a book about the Mafia and the author (who was personally affiliated with the mob) said that most gangsters in the mob have extremely great memories because they don't ever like to physically record anything (paper trail/incriminating evidence). He also said that's the reason they call each other by nicknames ("Fat" Tony, Sammy "the Bull", etc.) because it's a mnemonic memory-enhancing technique. Cool post btw.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Yes, also using flashcards is a proven way to memorize things.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Another crucial tool for memorization is something called "The memory palace."
I tried this to study and memorise biology for high school. Blew up in my face, whenever I tried to recall stuff, as the biology materials added up.

Trying to use visual cues and imagination didn't make sense to study a scientific subject that has laws and procedures.
I ended up just familiarising myself over past year papers and more experiments in lab sessions. Did well.

Overall, I feel that mnemonics are just one way to give you the first traction to get down some very fundamental info, like names, dates and simple facts. The other 90% of stuff comes from being in direct contact with the knowledge, executing on it. Trying to navigate 100% around the world on mnemonics is a hard cookie...I tried that approach and the ship sank. :rofl:

HelpAndProsper

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Apr 1, 2018
Boston
I've studied memory and studying techniques over the years. Most research shows that when you struggle to recall something new pathways are being created in the brain thereby increasing your memory of that subject matter.

Therefore, the key is to study for a short bit and then try to recall what you just studied by summarizing it out loud by speaking or you can also try to write down a summary of what you just learned. This is forcing you to recall and re-organize the information, which helps embed it.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I hope it’s okay to just post some extra resources. I think this is a good thread and I’m remembering (I know, ironic I can’t remember them all at once ;)) different resources as I go about my life

This is considered one of the greatest Online Courses available:

Learning How To Learn - Course Review: Learning How To Learn — Class Central

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
So, back in high school/college, I did a lot of studying on memory from the minds of Tony Buzan and others and I figured I would share my knowledge of how YOU can memorize almost any of the useless crap that your teachers want you to memorize. These are the same techniques that card counters use in order to beat blackjack.

The study of memory is called "mnemonics" and you've probably been somewhat introduced to it in your life. Whether you studied music - learning things like "Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge" for memorizing the treble clef, or "ROY G BIV" for memorizing the colors of the rainbow. Acronyms are a big part of how you can remember things with a fraction of the brainpower.

You know how you get songs stuck in your head? You can also use music to memorize things. For instance:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj-q2VNa89c

I know... that last song sounded pretty stupid. But if you listen to that thing for an hour straight, you bet your arse you're going to remember the U.S. presidents in order.

Another crucial tool for memorization is something called "The memory palace." This is the tool that card counters use in order to beat blackjack. Here's a great TED talk that refers to this:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6PoUg7jXsA

For more excellent info on memory, you can check out the books:
Use your perfect memory- Tony Buzan
Brain training: The complete visual program

Note: I am not affiliated with any of the previously mentioned books.
So you're telling me you can rewrite The Millionaire Fastlane and Unscripted word for word from having read those books?

YoungPadawan

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015

YoungPadawan

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
Ok, how long can I expect to master this if I choose to learn? If I had memory like that university would be a breeze since modern education is all about memorizing anyway.
Well, the Method of Loci takes a little bit to set up in your brain, but I found that retention is a lot better after long periods of time. I used to use it when I was in theater and doing speeches for classes. I was too lazy to do it for everything. lol You can look up on youtube how to do it exactly.

As for acronyms, if there's a subject you're learning, just look online to see if anyone has already created an acronym for that specific thing you're learning. I find acronyms are the easiest.

As for learning some things, like memorizing something in order, I would find the instrumentals to a popular song on youtube and record my voice singing the things of whatever I was learning. I probably looked like an idiot to my college roommate singing these custom songs, but hey - it works. lol

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.