• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. The forum software will be upgraded on Sunday May 26th and may not look normal during the transition. Some functionality may be offline. This is TEMPORARY and is expected to last up to 8 hours.
  2. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Is "How you do anything is how you do everything" true?

Discussion in 'General Mindset, Motivation, Beliefs' started by LiveEntrepreneur, Oct 4, 2018.

1. LiveEntrepreneur

LiveEntrepreneur Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,551
    This quote has been on my mind for a while, I used to think it was true then thought it's not because there are some things in life you put minimal effort because you don't see the point in putting in the full effort. But now I have done a bit of research, and I have looked at myself and how I perform certain tasks, it seems even things that I like to do I find the easiest way or shortcut way to do it, I get that lazy feeling because when things get boring. What do you guys think about this quote, true or false and why?

Andreas Thiel likes this.
  2. papi016

papi016 Bronze Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $353
    It’s true only IF you BELIEVE it’s true.

LiveEntrepreneur likes this.
  3. lowtek

lowtek Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $30,378
    It's a fact, for the most part. The way in which you do things is indicative of your mental framework.

We can all have off days, or occasionally make compromises with ourselves, so there is some wiggle room there, but in general I think it's true.

TheCj, Mattie and LiveEntrepreneur like this.
  4. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $404,781
    Admin Post
    I think it's generally true.

In all the menial jobs I've had, I've always tried to do them the best I could.

But then again, I'm a bit OCD. ;)

ZF Lee, TheCj and LiveEntrepreneur like this.
  5. Mattie

Mattie Platinum Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $29,653
    This comes down to your emotional and mental patterns, your behavior patterns, and whether you're doing something different to achieve a different outcome, or if you're doing the same old thing repeatedly, and getting the same results or outcome. It's kind of like the dog chasing it's tail.

6. YoungPadawan

YoungPadawan Miles to go before I sleep Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $686
    I personally wouldn't agree with this statement. In fact, back in high school, I had a teacher comment at how I was barely scraping by in one of her classes (on a subject I didn't give a damn about), yet in an extracurricular activity she was the head of, I had won nationwide awards in. So I guess I wouldn't agree with that particular statement.

Jared Jammer likes this.
  7. LiveEntrepreneur

LiveEntrepreneur Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,551
    Hmm so hard so say. Sometimes i feel its justification for me to be lazy lol. But i do guess if say your a lazy person you are likely to be lazy in a lot of things. I was re reading the book the one thing. And it said "success is about doing the right thing not about doing everything right" Don't know if I took it out of context. But I think I'll improve my work ethic on things that I deem important, and things that I see of low priority I'll do the bare minimum. Hopefully this mindset doesn't screw me over lol.

8. Jared Jammer

Jared Jammer New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $32
    For me, some things I do hyper-focused, with great effort and attention to detail; other things, I half-a$$. It depends entirely on the task's level of complexity and importance, and on my level of motivation.

I'd imagine most people are the same way, and so, no, the saying is almost certainly not true.

9. Andreas Thiel

Andreas Thiel Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $535
    For me personally I do not notice any effect of my thoughts and beliefs on how I do things.
    Spent a lot of time wondering why there is this huge disconnect. Probably "The Power of Habit" best explains how my world works.

For people who have made a habit of taking actions based on their beliefs at least the claim that your mental framework is responsible for your actions is true.

What about "How you do one thing is how you do everything"? Not sure I have seen evidence of that.
    "The Power of Habit" mentions key habits that can lead to a chain reaction that affects many other habits. Maybe failing to address key habits negates that "rule".
    So with the "lazy" person example, I think identifying your key habit and being less lazy in that area might work.

10. Andreas Thiel

Andreas Thiel Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $535
    Not sure that is a great way to thnk about it. How much time you dedicate to a task does not determine if you do it right or wrong. Even when you decide to invest as little time as possible for something that is not that important, then you want to bring the same professionalism to the task that you bring to others - then you will get better results.

11. ljb7

ljb7 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,866
    It all comes down to what you value and how you prioritise accordingly.

I couldn't give a shit about somethings that I need to do and so I do them with less effort. Other things I value greatly and know that I need to do them properly to get to where I want to be. Other things I know I value yet I struggle to do them consistently with enough effort.

It's a game of priorities. Most of us can't do everything we need to do efficiently because it would take too much effort to do it, so we prioritise accordingly.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.