• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

How to memorize ANYTHING

Discussion in 'Education, Learning, Books' started by YoungPadawan, Oct 7, 2018.

1. YoungPadawan

YoungPadawan Miles to go before I sleep Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $937
    So, back in high school/college, I did a lot of studying on memory from the minds of Tony Buzan and others and I figured I would share my knowledge of how YOU can memorize almost any of the useless crap that your teachers want you to memorize. These are the same techniques that card counters use in order to beat blackjack.

The study of memory is called "mnemonics" and you've probably been somewhat introduced to it in your life. Whether you studied music - learning things like "Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge" for memorizing the treble clef, or "ROY G BIV" for memorizing the colors of the rainbow. Acronyms are a big part of how you can remember things with a fraction of the brainpower.

You know how you get songs stuck in your head? You can also use music to memorize things. For instance:
    View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj-q2VNa89c

I know... that last song sounded pretty stupid. But if you listen to that thing for an hour straight, you bet your arse you're going to remember the U.S. presidents in order.

Another crucial tool for memorization is something called "The memory palace." This is the tool that card counters use in order to beat blackjack. Here's a great TED talk that refers to this:
    View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6PoUg7jXsA

For more excellent info on memory, you can check out the books:
    Use your perfect memory- Tony Buzan
    Brain training: The complete visual program

Note: I am not affiliated with any of the previously mentioned books.

Get Right, ZCP, ChrisV and 2 others like this.
  2. Bryan James

Bryan James Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $820
    I read a book about the Mafia and the author (who was personally affiliated with the mob) said that most gangsters in the mob have extremely great memories because they don't ever like to physically record anything (paper trail/incriminating evidence). He also said that's the reason they call each other by nicknames ("Fat" Tony, Sammy "the Bull", etc.) because it's a mnemonic memory-enhancing technique. Cool post btw.

3. ChrisV

ChrisV Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $10,230
    Yes, also using flashcards is a proven way to memorize things.

YoungPadawan likes this.
  4. ChrisV

ChrisV Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $10,230
  5. ZF Lee

ZF Lee Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,306
    I tried this to study and memorise biology for high school. Blew up in my face, whenever I tried to recall stuff, as the biology materials added up.

Trying to use visual cues and imagination didn't make sense to study a scientific subject that has laws and procedures.
    I ended up just familiarising myself over past year papers and more experiments in lab sessions. Did well.

Overall, I feel that mnemonics are just one way to give you the first traction to get down some very fundamental info, like names, dates and simple facts. The other 90% of stuff comes from being in direct contact with the knowledge, executing on it. Trying to navigate 100% around the world on mnemonics is a hard cookie...I tried that approach and the ship sank. :rofl:

YoungPadawan likes this.
  6. HelpAndProsper

HelpAndProsper Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $337
    I've studied memory and studying techniques over the years. Most research shows that when you struggle to recall something new pathways are being created in the brain thereby increasing your memory of that subject matter.

Therefore, the key is to study for a short bit and then try to recall what you just studied by summarizing it out loud by speaking or you can also try to write down a summary of what you just learned. This is forcing you to recall and re-organize the information, which helps embed it.

7. ChrisV

Rep Bank:
    $10,230
    I hope it’s okay to just post some extra resources. I think this is a good thread and I’m remembering (I know, ironic I can’t remember them all at once ;)) different resources as I go about my life

This is considered one of the greatest Online Courses available:

Learning How To Learn - Course Review: Learning How To Learn — Class Central

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YoungPadawan likes this.
  8. Ayanle Farah

Ayanle Farah Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,576
    So you're telling me you can rewrite The Millionaire Fastlane and Unscripted word for word from having read those books?

YoungPadawan likes this.
  9. YoungPadawan

YoungPadawan Miles to go before I sleep Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $937
    Ayanle Farah likes this.
  10. Ayanle Farah

Ayanle Farah Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,576
    Ok, how long can I expect to master this if I choose to learn? If I had memory like that university would be a breeze since modern education is all about memorizing anyway.

YoungPadawan likes this.
  11. YoungPadawan

Rep Bank:
    $937
    Well, the Method of Loci takes a little bit to set up in your brain, but I found that retention is a lot better after long periods of time. I used to use it when I was in theater and doing speeches for classes. I was too lazy to do it for everything. lol You can look up on youtube how to do it exactly.

As for acronyms, if there's a subject you're learning, just look online to see if anyone has already created an acronym for that specific thing you're learning. I find acronyms are the easiest.

As for learning some things, like memorizing something in order, I would find the instrumentals to a popular song on youtube and record my voice singing the things of whatever I was learning. I probably looked like an idiot to my college roommate singing these custom songs, but hey - it works. lol

HelpAndProsper and Ayanle Farah like this.