The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to market your business with integrity?

Marketing, social media, advertising

Thepetmom

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Feb 13, 2021
Hey everyone,

I'm very new here and this is my first post.
I started my small local business a year ago, so still figuring things out as we go

Here's my biggest challenge, I hate both sales and marketing as represented by mainstream. I simply can't be pushy, annoying, manipulative nor want to self-promote 24/7!! Everytime I read a book about marketing, I instantly know that's not me!!

I understand the value of marketing for any business, however I don't know how to market my business while being authentic, honest and real

Any suggestions?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Hey everyone,

I started my small local business a year ago, so still figuring things out as we go

Here's my biggest challenge, I hate both sales and marketing as represented by mainstream. I simply can't be pushy, annoying, manipulative nor want to self-promote 24/7!! Everytime I read a book about marketing, I instantly know that's not me!!

I understand the value of marketing for any business, however I don't know how to market my business while being authentic, honest and real

Any suggestions?
If your product/ service can offer relative value to their lives... YOU ARE DOING THEM A FAVOUR BY LETTING THEM KNOW ABOUT IT!

Thepetmom

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Feb 13, 2021
If your product/ service can offer relative value to their lives... YOU ARE DOING THEM A FAVOUR BY LETTING THEM KNOW ABOUT IT!
I'm not against marketing as a concept..but how it's usually done. Social media now is like the new definition of narcissism!!!
I don't know how authentic marketing even looks like

mikeyjd

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Dec 10, 2015
Michigan
Hey everyone,

Any suggestions?
Just present your products or services in a straight forward, professional manner. You don't have to be an excellent marketer to have a successful business if your happy customers are willing to do your marketing for you.

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
There is a chapter or section in the millionaire fastlane that talks about disregarding your biases and not letting them stand in the way of you making money. You personally may not like marketing, ads, sales pitches, or website popups, but they certainly work. You shouldn't disregard something that may significantly help your business, even if those things "don't work on you".

The only time I disregard advice or techniques to improve our business is if I find said technique to be unethical.

Just be candid and straight forward about your products and people will likely appreciate what you have. I don't like most ads, but when I see and ad that shows me something I want, I'm actually grateful that that business took the time to spread the word about themselves.

Thepetmom

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Feb 13, 2021
There is a chapter or section in the millionaire fastlane that talks about disregarding your biases and not letting them stand in the way of you making money. You personally may not like marketing, ads, sales pitches, or website popups, but they certainly work. You shouldn't disregard something that may significantly help your business, even if those things "don't work on you".

The only time I disregard advice or techniques to improve our business is if I find said technique to be unethical.

Just be candid and straight forward about your products and people will likely appreciate what you have. I don't like most ads, but when I see and ad that shows me something I want, I'm actually grateful that that business took the time to spread the word about themselves.
Yeah! I read that part and I totally agree with you.
It's just hard when your business and your brand are also you!! And given that I rarely see straightforward ethical marketing in any form...

Thank you

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
Yeah! I read that part and I totally agree with you.
It's just hard when your business and your brand are also you!! And given that I rarely see straightforward ethical marketing in any form...

Thank you
I see straight forward ethical marketing all the time. I share your general sentiments but just know that by doing nothing for marketing, you are only hurting yourself. Here's an excerpt from one of my posts on my progress thread:

You know what I like about my business?
  • No bro marketing necessary to sell our product.
  • No super aggressive email marketing or 75 day drip sequences needed.
  • No aggressive funnels needed full of countdown timers and other fake scarcity bullshit.
  • No ad spend on any platform, it's all organic. (Which i'm actually about to start running ads to scale)
  • No shady affiliates needed to push our wares.
  • No bullshit cancellation and refund policies.
  • I'm able to stay true to myself and be a white hat person.
  • I'm able to consistently help major companies without over promising things.
  • I get to be the face of the company and be seen as a force for good in a tough industry.
  • People often tell us we have the best customer service they've ever received.
  • We simply attract customers out of thin air to our great product vs shoving it in their faces.

In my marketing, I just be myself and promote my product. If someone thinks it's pushy, I don't really care because I don't think it is. You might want to read this thread that I wrote: NOTABLE! - Don't let the vocal minority prevent you from making a killing! What is your hater to buyer ratio?

You will come across people who hate your ads or your business or even you and that's alright.

My best advice is to ask yourself "How would I want to be marketed to? What marketing do I think is ethical?" and then go do that. I did that and it worked out great for me.

Thepetmom

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Feb 13, 2021
I see straight forward ethical marketing all the time. I share your general sentiments but just know that by doing nothing for marketing, you are only hurting yourself. Here's an excerpt from one of my posts on my progress thread:

In my marketing, I just be myself and promote my product. If someone thinks it's pushy, I don't really care because I don't think it is. You might want to read this thread that I wrote: NOTABLE! - Don't let the vocal minority prevent you from making a killing! What is your hater to buyer ratio?

You will come across people who hate your ads or your business or even you and that's alright.

My best advice is to ask yourself "How would I want to be marketed to? What marketing do I think is ethical?" and then go do that. I did that and it worked out great for me.
Thank you, that's very helpful.

Thepetmom

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Feb 13, 2021
What are you selling that you don't think you can market it with integrity?
It's not that I can't..I just don't know how.... it's a service not a product yet... I'm a holistic dog trainer & pet sitter for special needs pets

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
It's not that I can't..I just don't know how.... it's a service not a product yet... I'm a holistic dog trainer & pet sitter for special needs pets
You can make videos on how you train your dog and why you think your method is better than another trainer.

You can emphasize that you specialize with special needs dogs.

I don't understand what you mean buy "don't know how".

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
When you make a video aren't you all those things? Just put the camera in front of you and start talking about your business.

Thepetmom

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Feb 13, 2021
You can make videos on how you train your dog and why you think your method is better than another trainer.

You can emphasize that you specialize with special needs dogs.

I don't understand what you mean buy "don't know how".
Well!! I'm not a marketer, and so far every form of marketing I see is either heavy self-promotion, heavy selling, lots of tricks and manipulation!!! I don't want to do any of that

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Well!! I'm not a marketer, and so far every form of marketing I see is either heavy self-promotion, heavy selling, lots of tricks and manipulation!!! I don't want to do any of that
What does not being a marketer have to do with it? Just talk about your business. If you think that everything you see is trying to sell you, then that is all that you will see. Do you see everything as pushy "marketing"?

For example, when I do a video about my dog collar, and I talk about why a martingale is used vs. a regular collar. Is that pushy selling to you? Just trying to understand where the hang up is.

You might as well close up shop if you can't even talk about what you do without feeling uneasy.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'm a holistic dog trainer & pet sitter for special needs pets
If someone searched on Google or YouTube “how to train dogs with special needs” then are you doing them a disservice if they can’t find you?

If someone Googled “dog trainer near me” or asked on Facebook then are you doing them a disservice if they can’t find you or no-one recommends you?

I like to think that “Sales is a screening process.”

Don’t try to “make sales”, try to screen those who want to buy your products/services from those who don’t.

It’s our job as business owners to NOT let our hangups prevent us from serving people who have money in hand and are desperately looking for our help.

Maybe some of these might help:

Thepetmom

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Feb 13, 2021
If someone searched on Google or YouTube “how to train dogs with special needs” then are you doing them a disservice if they can’t find you?

If someone Googled “dog trainer near me” or asked on Facebook then are you doing them a disservice if they can’t find you or no-one recommends you?

I like to think that “Sales is a screening process.”

Don’t try to “make sales”, try to screen those who want to buy your products/services from those who don’t.

It’s our job as business owners to NOT let our hangups prevent us from serving people who have money in hand and are desperately looking for our help.

Maybe some of these might help:
Thanks for your detailed reply and links.

I've started releasing contents on social media, being active in groups, etc.. it's alot easier for me to provide value than to promote.. but this is more of a long game, I think!! And it has its side effects that people expect everything for free!!

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Hey everyone,

Any suggestions?
Well what is your business?
Maybe we can give you some pointers.

Thepetmom

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Feb 13, 2021
Well what is your business?
Maybe we can give you some pointers.
I should have put that in the original thread, sorry! holistic dog trainer and pet sitter for special needs, currently a local business, less than a year old. Launching a blog soon, which hopefully would help in Google ranking later on. Also GMB reviews is a long game.

Any Examples of websites/marketing materials that show integrity & authenticity, rather than exaggeration & excessive self-promotion. This is what I need to copy/learn from

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks for your detailed reply and links.

I've started releasing contents on social media, being active in groups, etc.. it's alot easier for me to provide value than to promote.. but this is more of a long game, I think!! And it has its side effects that people expect everything for free!!
Some people want free. Some people want to pay. Again, think about how to filter them.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Hey everyone,

Any suggestions?
Most of the pushy and manipulative sales technique are snake oil material selling to salespeople and entrepreneurs as “get deals quick scams”.

The objective is not help people to close sales ethically or unethically, but convincing the readers they can actually get rich and get deals fast using “xyz lines and tactics”.

The victims are people who read and buy the material.

My advice is observe business and salespeople who are doing well. Not motivatonal speakers or sales gurus.

kleine2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Sep 15, 2013
Hey everyone,

Any suggestions?
What is the cost that you pay for choosing this attitude?

I love marketing and selling with integrity.
I believe what I offer is valuable and helpful.
I also want to earn a good living for myself while providing value to the world.
What benefits would you gain by adopting this alternative approach?

BrianLateStart

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jun 11, 2019
Horseheads, NY
I hate both sales and marketing as represented by mainstream. I simply can't be pushy, annoying, manipulative nor want to self-promote 24/7!! Everytime I read a book about marketing, I instantly know that's not me!!
I hated the sales and marketing part of the business until I read "Marketing Rebellion: The Most Human Company Wins", by Mark Schaefer. After reading it, I knew I had a new approach to marketing that I could get behind.

From his website related to the book:
"Technology has created new ways to help customers discover, share, and discuss their favorite products. In fact, most of our marketing is occurring without us. Today, the customers are the marketing department.

We can’t buy our way into these conversations, We have to earn our way in with a new business approach that appeals to constant human truths.

The businesses of the past were built on advertising impressions. Today, they are built on human impressions that help customers believe, belong, and find meaning."

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Simple.

Don't lie.

That's all you gotta do. Just don't lie. Don't misrepresent your product or service nor their benefits. Don't misrepresent your business or its worthiness. Don't make claims that you can't substantiate. If you offer a guarantee, stand by it.

You don't ever have to compromise integrity if you don't want to. And learning what counts as integrity to you is an important part of developing yourself as an entrepreneur.

A lot of businesses are built on lies. The truth comes out eventually.

But don't use your integrity as an attempt to shield yourself from potential criticism. Use your integrity to stand by what YOU believe in.

If you don't want to use effective but sleazy marketing tactics, you don't have to. I don't like to use countdown timers that aren't real, or tell people that a sale is ending earlier than it is. I don't like false scarcity. Nobody is forcing me to use them so I simply don't.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I hated the sales and marketing part of the business until I read "Marketing Rebellion: The Most Human Company Wins", by Mark Schaefer. After reading it, I knew I had a new approach to marketing that I could get behind.

Sounds interesting. Will check it out. Thanks for mentioning it.

@Thepetmom why not just focus on educating people? Forget about the word "sales." Just help people. Sales come as a byproduct because some people will most certainly want to hire you instead of just consuming your content.

For example, I recently joined a $2k fitness coaching program ONLY because I watched free YouTube content and loved it. Of course, there was a sales page, etc. but I was sold because of the free educative, helpful content, not because of any pushy sales techniques.

Also, listen to @Andy Black. I think he's the most non-salesy successful entrepreneur on this forum.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.