• Discuss Entrepreneurship | Start-Ups | Starting a Business | Wealth | Money | Success | Investing
  1. Escape the Grind. Resurrect The Dream. Live Happily Ever After.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

Don’t just build a business—build a life and a legacy. UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is a specific subset of business creation that awakens dreams, frees time, and explodes incomes—but more importantly, it changes lives.

Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.
    KICKSTART YOUR PERSONAL REVOLUTION TODAY.
    Get The Book(s) Download More Info Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Change Yourself.
Change Your Life.
Change The World.

Tired of broke bloggers giving you advice? Within minutes, get millionaire advice from real entrepreneurs who live the dream.

GOLD How to Learn Code, Start a Web Company, $15k+ per month within 9 months

Discussion in 'Hustles, Freelancing, Bootstrapping' started by Fox, Sep 7, 2016.

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.
  1. Andy Daniels

Andy Daniels Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $143
    This thread is killer! Thank you @Fox for bringing light to this amazing opportunity.

I've already started the academy courses on coding, and I've put together a small list of companies that I know,
    whose websites are pathetic. I can't wait to build them new ones, and add tons of value and results to their business.

It's all about taking action. This thread is gold for a reason. Fox is right, no excuses!

Kingmaker and Fox like this.
  2. alan3wilson

alan3wilson Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $176
    Great man. So you just call business owners and tell them to restore their website for a monthly fee or what ?

and where are you learning programming ? books ?

3. Andy Daniels

Andy Daniels Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $143
    I haven't started prospecting yet until I finish the coding courses.

There are plenty of free resources out there, my favorite being this: Build Responsive Real World Websites with HTML5 and CSS3

Once I get more practice, I will build up my portfolio by offering free builds to local companies that I know, in exchange for positive testimonials for my site. If they like my product, they will use it, and hopefully tell their friends about me. You gotta start this way to build social proof about your business.

4. alan3wilson

Rep Bank:
    $176
    Great. I think also programming you can learn that only with practice right ? Coding seems difficult at first.

5. Skyizlimit1

Skyizlimit1 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $51
    Sorry if this was already answered, @Fox, but do you ask what a clients budget is before giving them a price? I gave a quote to my first company that was interested for $1500 (4-5 page site with picture gallery) and now they barely answer me and tell me they are "till deciding" 2 weeks after I gave them the quote. I think it might've been out of their budget and they looked elsewhere.

FastNAwesome and Dunkafelics like this.
  6. Fox

Fox Legendary Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $36,232
    When dealing with a smaller client you can work backwards...
    "what is a budget you would feel comfortable with"
    "how much do you have to invest in making this work"

Once you get some experience though and have a solid portfolio you should be seeing out clients who you know have the cashflow to afford a decent website.

FastNAwesome, Huracan, Argue and 2 others like this.
  7. Undependent

Undependent PARKED

Rep Bank:
    $3
  8. Milos

Milos New Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $31
    I learned to code a few months ago, and I am very comfortable with HTML, CSS, Wordpress and even basic JS. Although I can create a website, and I would have no trouble cold calling and doing whatever is necessary to get clients, I am completely devoid of creativity needed to design a website.
    I think Fox said earlier in this thread that as soon as he sees some terribly designed website, he already knows how to improve it. While I can certainly recognize a terrible website, I usually have no idea how to improve it. And if the website is at least decent, I don't even see what's wrong with it until someone points it out.

Should I quit this and focus on something that can be learned by reading a book?

Also thank you for creating this thread, there is lot of good info here for people who want to earn more by building websites.

pbellot likes this.
  9. pbellot

pbellot Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $298
    You've gotta keep working at it. Look at inspirational sites: AirBnB, Artsy, Facebook, ZenGarden. Find the inspiration! It's like a big ole pile of legos! You don't know what's going on at first, but when you start putting it all together, magic happens.

Milos and BrooklynHustle like this.
  10. Milos

Rep Bank:
    $31
    Thanks for replying.
    The problem is when I start looking how other great websites look, I just end up copying some of them which doesn't help my creativity in the long run at all, it kills it completely.

11. pbellot

pbellot Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $298
    Think of it like music, the best music is copied and improvised on. Take out the best parts you like and build on that. Think about whitespace, font color and spacing, color, content presentation. I think of it like this: if my 4 year old or 80 year old with Parkinsons can navigate through the site easily, I've done my job. Look for simplicity, find inspiration and add your touch/flair.

12. Milos

Rep Bank:
    $31
    I see, thanks for advice. I guess I will give it a try again, there are some old projects I could revisit.

BrooklynHustle and pbellot like this.
  13. Fox

Fox Legendary Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $36,232
    Hi, if you click on that link you will find the marketplace post - ask whatever you want in that thread. Thanks.

BrooklynHustle likes this.
  14. jmusic

jmusic Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $355
    I know it's a few months later but for anyone else reading this, there is a ***BIG*** difference between:
    - You offering to work for free
    - Someone ASKING you to work for free, especially a "a wealthy senior attorney"!!

Fox likes this.
  15. jmusic

Rep Bank:
    $355
    Wow. Finally slogged through all 41 pages! I can definitely see how frustrating it can be to teach.

I've got the CodeCademy and Udemy courses done and have identified a few businesses in need of my services. I'll start my free project for a friend who has a home-based smoker/BBQ business and then the sky's the limit!

I've done sales before too. Main hitch right now is my slowlane job: pays VERY well, but will be ending in about 18 months with a large payday at the end as well so I won't be quitting that early. Don't want to go back to a cubicle farm when that's done though. My wife also gives me crap about spending "too much" time on the computer at home (which a good deal of is action-faking or outright killing time, I admit).

Anyone else successfully getting projects while working around a full-time 8-5 job?

16. ImIvanI

ImIvanI PARKED

Rep Bank:
    $1
    Hey Fox. I'm a complete newbie here, but I've been following your advice on the thread for weeks, and am finishing up courses in HTML / CSS, as well as making my own portfolio website. My one question is how / where do you host your websites? Almost everything is paid except github and I was wondering if you pay monthly to host your client's websites. Thank you!

-Ivan

17. jmusic

Rep Bank:
    $355
    I think he answered that question quite early in the thread. Fox prefers to have the client buy the hosting, usually through GoDaddy, that way they aren't tied to him in the future. "Keeps everything clean" I think were his words...

Others have mentioned using "White Label hosting" which is basically a service that you would control/make money from, but it increases the complication factor.

Hope this helps.

Fox likes this.
  18. alan3wilson

Rep Bank:
    $176
    So guys from what I read here, the best way to learn programming is to work on your own projects or clients projects?

Javin likes this.
  19. ImIvanI

ImIvanI PARKED

Rep Bank:
    $1
    Thanks so much. Very useful info!

20. Fox

Rep Bank:
    $36,232
    Clients - real problem that require active learning (solutions).

21. alan3wilson

Rep Bank:
    $176
    ok so it's no true that you need to be a genius in math to do professional programming ?

also for example if I want to learn artificial intelligence I can create a program on my own right ?

22. lowtek

lowtek Gold Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $9,184
    There's a vast gulf between designing web pages and artificial intelligence. "Coding" web pages really isn't programming in the strict sense. HTML and CSS are mark up languages and serve to format text and images on the page. They can't really be used to code any logic.

They're certainly valuable, and as Fox and others have demonstrated, you can make good money with just those two languages. It's perfectly reasonable to start there to get a feel for programming, and then add on another more traditional language (python is my recommendation) when you're ready.

You really don't need to be a mathetmatical genius to get competent with AI, but you need some basic level of mastery. At the least, you're going to need to know how to do matrix and vector multiplication - but these can be learned from a simple course. If you know calculus and differential equations, you'll have insight into how things are derived - this is important if you want to push the envelope of what is known. If you don't know them, you'll just have to take what is given and run with it.

You can get started with toy programs in AI - hand coding a deep neural network to do handwritten digit recognition is pretty straight forward, and can be done in less than a day if you follow a tutorial.

There's no reason you can't do both in parallel. Start with HTML/CSS and get your hustle right, get some walking around money, and learn more advanced topics in your free time.

23. Cavallie

Cavallie Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $148
    I've been reaching out to advertising companies that produce profiling garments, signs and everything of that kind. My intention is to offer them some kind of partnership - they get to give EVEN more value to their customers by giving them 50% (or something like that) discount for a new website - and they bring me customers.
    • Is this a stupid idea? Has anybody tried it?
    • How can I make them an offer that is as valuable as possible for them?

24. ReubenA

ReubenA Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $311
    Since there's a lot of people asking how to learn to code here..

It's important to point out that Fox is a marketer, salesman and problem solver, that's why he's successful doing this. He's not a coder.

HTML/CSS, technically, is coding. But it's dead simple compared to Java / C / Python / JavaScript etc.

If you wanted to follow this path, you'd be absolutely fine learning the basics of HTML/CSS and then outsourcing it.. provide value by improving clients conversions by writing better copy for them, not by pixel pushing CSS layouts. The HTML/CSS stuff that's described here is $5-10/hr work

25. Fox

Rep Bank:
    $36,232
    Very true, I would classify myself as a designer. I like to design the sales system and help solve peoples problems. My coding level is not amazing (nor does it need to be) but I think I have a great eye for design, layout, and what sells.

Being able to code is an amazing skill but just by itself its no better than being great at spelling. You need to combine it with real problems and real people to make it worth something. I am moving more and more towards outsourcing everything as I work ON my business and not IN it.

Probably my best skill is being able to sell. I believe true sales is more than just a price - it is a clear understanding of the problems a client has and what is needed to build a great solution. And it is also highly transferable.

Huracan, ReubenA, Andy Black and 4 others like this.