The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Create a $2k+/mo Passive Income Website in 30 Days (or Less)

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Hi Lex, these are good results, but so many people are trying this model. Do you think its still profitable?

It would be profitable for me whether there were 10, 10,000, or even 1,000,000 people "trying" this.

Based on your question, this will not be profitable for you.

This is not a shortcut to money even if it looks that way.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

cornishpasty

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Mar 14, 2023
Cornwall, UK
Hi Lex, much like @enhancenothing, this thread has sprung me into action - have run google ads this week on an idea I've had for a while, pivoted slightly based off the results from that testing, and have now contacted a list of manufacturers. Thank you for the work you put in - it's been so valuable.

heeya

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Aug 12, 2018
Korea
I really really appreciate you sharing precious information. Although I haven't visited this forum in a while, I remember reading your post about copywriting and I learned a lot from it! I'm still using the skills you shared! Thank you very much, Lex!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sole

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 23, 2023
This is useful. I will start a thread and follow the main guidelines of your process.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Site 1
After a big initial start to the month, sales have remained steady and about average. I haven't messed with the site except for routine upkeep stuff so I'm not expecting much in the way of growth for the month.

Site 2
I've reached $100 in ads with nothing to show. I was going to set up a lead magnet, but I need to face facts with this one. It's a B2C product that doesn't solve a real problem. I sold a few through Site 1 and thought there might be a market, but it doesn't look like it, so I'll call this one a dud.

Site 3
This will remain sidelined for a minute since it may face a similar problem to Site 2. It's a B2C product and I haven't done enough research for it.

Site 4
I purchased a domain for a fourth attempt. One difference this time is I'll target a B2B market and go with a product that solves a problem I know people have. This one also has numbers behind it. I'm seeing 40k+ searches per month for one term, as well as searches for terms including the word "buy" in the term (a good sign I think). It's worth finding out.

Also, I think this one can potentially grow into a marketplace. If so, other people can create the product for me and I'll just take a cut.

Hey Lex, I'm on a roll tonight. Thought I'd dip into your thread for a requisite dose of tough love, I mean real talk.

I'm seeing the inspiration. Rightfully so. You've been doing great work. Bravo.

I'm curious from a slightly different angle. Forgive me if any of this has been answered already, I haven't read all 6 pages here, but is there anything you think you should have done differently from the get go?

Also, do you think you are spreading yourself too thin or is that part of the strategy? In the quoted area above, I'm reading between the lines and it seems like you're letting stuff fall through the cracks.

Further, do you have an end goal in mind for this project? Or is all of this just a take it as it comes and roll with the feedback and see where it goes kind of project?

Lastly, and I mean this in the absolute *toughest* voice I can muster.

Good work man. I enjoy seeing the others getting after it trying to channel their own inner Lex.

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Hey Lex, I'm on a roll tonight. Thought I'd dip into your thread for a requisite dose of tough love, I mean real talk.

I'm seeing the inspiration. Rightfully so. You've been doing great work. Bravo.

I'm curious from a slightly different angle. Forgive me if any of this has been answered already, I haven't read all 6 pages here, but is there anything you think you should have done differently from the get go?

Also, do you think you are spreading yourself too thin or is that part of the strategy? In the quoted area above, I'm reading between the lines and it seems like you're letting stuff fall through the cracks.

Further, do you have an end goal in mind for this project? Or is all of this just a take it as it comes and roll with the feedback and see where it goes kind of project?

Lastly, and I mean this in the absolute *toughest* voice I can muster.

Good work man. I enjoy seeing the others getting after it trying to channel their own inner Lex.

Should've done differently:
I should've started a lot sooner. I had the idea for Site 1 over two years ago. There are a few other things, but I'm doing those things differently by adding another site.

Spreading Myself Too Thin
The first site caused some trouble with Google and Etsy and it worries me that more will follow in the future. I also think the market for the first site isn't very big. Without adding another site, the first site becomes too risky, and I expect it will stall out in terms of how big it can grow. I expect it can grow slightly more, but not a lot, so it isn't a priority.

What is the end goal?
There are two end goals. The first end goal was to build new passive income streams that I had more control over so I could finally let go of freelancing. I told myself if I replaced freelancing with something else then I would quit for good.

The second goal (the bigger one) is to see if I can build passive income websites quickly that can be sold. That's almost certainly not happening with the first site (and was never the intent for that site).

I'd like to find out if I can build a site in 30 days or less, get it up and earning for some months, and then cash out.

Always remember the 4-point plan.

south-park-4point-plan.gif

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Should've done differently:
I should've started a lot sooner. I had the idea for Site 1 over two years ago. There are a few other things, but I'm doing those things differently by adding another site.

Spreading Myself Too Thin
The first site caused some trouble with Google and Etsy and it worries me that more will follow in the future. I also think the market for the first site isn't very big. Without adding another site, the first site becomes too risky, and I expect it will stall out in terms of how big it can grow. I expect it can grow slightly more, but not a lot, so it isn't a priority.

What is the end goal?
There are two end goals. The first end goal was to build new passive income streams that I had more control over so I could finally let go of freelancing. I told myself if I replaced freelancing with something else then I would quit for good.

The second goal (the bigger one) is to see if I can build passive income websites quickly that can be sold. That's almost certainly not happening with the first site (and was never the intent for that site).

I'd like to find out if I can build a site in 30 days or less, get it up and earning for some months, and then cash out.

Always remember the 4-point plan.

View attachment 47922

The meme, the meme.

Rikz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 24, 2023
Do you create the digital products by yourself or just download them from somewhere and resell them?

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Do you create the digital products by yourself or just download them from somewhere and resell them?
I create them (assuming the product has to be created) or I get someone else to create them.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Lex, what s your thoughts on cheap digital assets? Maybe under 5 usd

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

4gus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jan 18, 2023
Etsy is as good a place to start as any.

I didn't bring it up in the first post because it's better to build a business you control, (and because I got banned from Etsy in January after cursing at a non-customer in a DM) but...

I was generating a full-time income on Etsy from this business before the ban.
Sooo, I decided to start testing my product in Etsy.
Week 1: figured out my niche, created my products (below $5)
Week 2: finished the first 3 of my products, opened my Etsy shop.
Week 3: continue creating and uploading my other products and then Etsy told me that my account is permanently disabled without any explanation. Submitted my appeal, explaining that I followed all T&C's. Etsy responded the next day saying that my account is still disabled, again without giving any explanation.

I had similar sh!tty experience with Amazon before. Account disabled without any explanation.

With Etsy/ Amazon/ etc, we have no Control whatsoever.

Anyways, this is good. It forced me to think to find another way out.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Sooo, I decided to start testing my product in Etsy.
Week 1: figured out my niche, created my products (below $5)
Week 2: finished the first 3 of my products, opened my Etsy shop.
Week 3: continue creating and uploading my other products and then Etsy told me that my account is permanently disabled without any explanation. Submitted my appeal, explaining that I followed all T&C's. Etsy responded the next day saying that my account is still disabled, again without giving any explanation.

I had similar sh!tty experience with Amazon before. Account disabled without any explanation.

With Etsy/ Amazon/ etc, we have no Control whatsoever.

Anyways, this is good. It forced me to think to find another way out.

I've only had bad experiences selling products on third party sites such as Udemy and Skillshare. Seems to be a trend here unfortunately.

The best is when they change the rules of the game on you, slashing your income to pieces. Left with crumbs lol

John Clancy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Feb 23, 2015
I've only had bad experiences selling products on third party sites such as Udemy and Skillshare. Seems to be a trend here unfortunately.

The best is when they change the rules of the game on you, slashing your income to pieces. Left with crumbs lol
100%. These platforms can be great for exposure, ideation, market validation etc - but if someone can put you out of business with the click of a button, you're vulnerable.

IMO, the best use of any third-party aggregated marketplace (like Etsy or Amazon) is as a complement to your existing business. Use it as a channel to make your first sale to someone who wouldn't have purchased from you otherwise, then convert them into repeat buyers via an owned channel on the backend. Higher margins on each sale + higher CLTV + lower platform risk = better all around.

This is a tougher shift to make on some platforms than others - and you obviously don't want to do anything that has the potential to blow up in your face. But in the long run, you're better off seeing these platforms as complementary vs making them your core focus.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Honestly, I don’t know. But does it really matter? All that matters is that somebody is buying them

I liked them. I would buy a larger one. People decorating their homes?

The larger ones sell for $500-$1500. That’s what I need for my house.
I have never felt the need to declare my undying love for you from afar until now.

Interesting find :)
Now I'm curious, who would be our target audience here? How would we sell this and to who? Who's in the market for gummybear walls?
I'm not gonna use this but just curious about what you guys think about an audience for a product like this.
I once spent $125 on one giant gummy bear. Don't underestimate my ability to spend money on stuff that makes me feel happy, naughty, excited, silly, innocent, joyful, and hyped up on enough sugar to kill every diabetic in a hundred mile radius.

Gummy bears are wonderful. Ok, I'm going back to reading this thread now.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Another thing I’m curious about.

Have you at any point so far thought “this doesn’t make sense/won’t work/lots of competition”

I know there’s self-doubt going around always but I mean it like…bear with me here… like your mind thinks it has evidence to support the thought right?

First it sounds good then you see how many website themes/self care checklists/digital planner files/procreate brushes are out there and the overwhelm comes. How and why would you even land a sale other than luck.

Can you tell I’m a bit down today. Lol. I’m struggling to press post but I’m going to cause I want to hear what people say.
I was making this random thing with Photoshop and Illustrator for a friend where I wanted one aspect of the thing to look like stained glass. I spent $28 on a stack of premade stained glass textures. If they had wanted more I would have paid more. I needed it done that day. I don't have procreate but I've probably spent $20-$50 on brush packs just learning random things.. don't ever doubt that the crazy artistic types who are up at 2am won't buy your stuff. Just get it made and put it in front of us at the right time.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
I feel really stupid, like incredibly stupid. I haven't taken one step forward on a project, for two years, because I couldn't handle the social media aspect. I really felt like the only way I could create a course that would sell was by building up a community. But I have no desire whatsoever to build a community.....especially not for a product that is perfect for three separate niches. So I've just sat on it like a lazy pos feeling guilty doing nothing.. and now you're telling me I should have just built a website and run ads to it and I'm like.. oh. Duh. Of Course.

And Canva? Really? Ugh. Sometimes I really can't see the forest for the trees. I taught myself three separate adobe products.. sigh. Would you use Canva to create a mini course set at $249? The info is worth a thousand at least so I've gotten stuck on wanting to make the course really really pretty.. and then build up the community.. ugh.

And I had no idea ASMR for sleep was a thing.. I looked that up after you mentioned it and my brain.. wow. So much potential there. I checked out reddit for research and discovered a thread about all the things people hate about ASMR and that was a huge eye-opener. I didn't realize an entire generation of people were struggling with sleep so much. Here I thought ASMR was all for weird sex stuff.. but no. Some people just can't sleep.

And the lists for places to sell was really cool. You always outdo on value.

Anyway, thank you.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I really felt like the only way I could create a course that would sell was by building up a community.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I feel really stupid, like incredibly stupid. I haven't taken one step forward on a project, for two years, because I couldn't handle the social media aspect. I really felt like the only way I could create a course that would sell was by building up a community. But I have no desire whatsoever to build a community.....especially not for a product that is perfect for three separate niches. So I've just sat on it like a lazy pos feeling guilty doing nothing.. and now you're telling me I should have just built a website and run ads to it and I'm like.. oh. Duh. Of Course.

And Canva? Really? Ugh. Sometimes I really can't see the forest for the trees. I taught myself three separate adobe products.. sigh. Would you use Canva to create a mini course set at $249? The info is worth a thousand at least so I've gotten stuck on wanting to make the course really really pretty.. and then build up the community.. ugh.

And I had no idea ASMR for sleep was a thing.. I looked that up after you mentioned it and my brain.. wow. So much potential there. I checked out reddit for research and discovered a thread about all the things people hate about ASMR and that was a huge eye-opener. I didn't realize an entire generation of people were struggling with sleep so much. Here I thought ASMR was all for weird sex stuff.. but no. Some people just can't sleep.

And the lists for places to sell was really cool. You always outdo on value.

Anyway, thank you.

Well, at least we can feel stupid together. It took forever to realize I could do this. Should've been obvious... I mean, Etsy runs ads to products. Udemy runs ads to courses. Ebay, Fiverr, Upwork... They all run ads to things you can buy.

You can use Canva to make a course like that, but if I made a course today, here's how I would do it:

1. Create a bullet point presentation in Google Slides
2. Screen record the presentation while talking over the slides.
3. Publish.

You can do this in Canva, but Canva is slower and has more distractions.

If I make future courses, they'll be white or black backgrounds with bullet points that I talk over. No fancy transitions. Probably no background images. All extra stuff adds production time but doesn't necessarily increase the value of the product.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
See this is where it gets weird because if my product was a brick n mortar/service I could get that done in a week. Send me in coach, I can talk to real people. I know how to build income for a service.. that’s simple.

But building up for a e-commerce product that’s about something sensitive and emotionally fraught for people just felt.. disingenuous if I had to also be active on Twitter or whatever coming up with witty crap to say.. pffft.

Anyhoo, I’m not tryna be critical I’m just turning the Rubik’s cube over again. Thanks Andy.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Well, at least we can feel stupid together. It took forever to realize I could do this. Should've been obvious... I mean, Etsy runs ads to products. Udemy runs ads to courses. Ebay, Fiverr, Upwork... They all run ads to things you can buy.

You can use Canva to make a course like that, but if I made a course today, here's how I would do it:

1. Create a bullet point presentation in Google Slides
2. Screen record the presentation while talking over the slides.
3. Publish.

You can do this in Canva, but Canva is slower and has more distractions.

If I make future courses, they'll be white or black backgrounds with bullet points that I talk over. No fancy transitions. Probably no background images. All extra stuff adds production time but doesn't necessarily increase the value of the product.
Huh.

Fml. Ok. I can do that.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Too much value in this thread! I've a question:

In the screenshots of your first post, your conversion rate is 8.6%. I read that the average conversion % for all eCom industries across the niches is approx 1 - 3%, with 3% on the high end and 1% being the average. Are your conversion rates also ~8.6% on Etsy? This is downright insane.

Also, I wonder if this 8.6% conversion % mostly included people who add to cart on the first time they saw the product page, or are they nurtured over 2 or more emails.

Thanks!

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Too much value in this thread! I've a question:

In the screenshots of your first post, your conversion rate is 8.6%. I read that the average conversion % for all eCom industries across the niches is approx 1 - 3%, with 3% on the high end and 1% being the average. Are your conversion rates also ~8.6% on Etsy? This is downright insane.

Also, I wonder if this 8.6% conversion % mostly included people who add to cart on the first time they saw the product page, or are they nurtured over 2 or more emails.

Thanks!
For the first month, I didn't have automated emails. I didn't set up opt-ins until the end of the month and those were just simple lead magnets with no follow-up emails at the time.

On Etsy, my conversion rates were lower, but they were starting to rise when Etsy killed my account.

Etsy Conversions.png

It took a while on Etsy to get the ads dialed in. For the first month or so I wasn't sure ads were worth it. Once I figured out which products were popular, then I adjusted my ads and the results started to improve.

Website conversions were always higher than Etsy. Over the lifetime they're at 15.8%.

Lifetime Through March.png
A lot of my customers are repeat buyers, but recently I switched from Max Click Google Ads campaigns to Max Conversion campaigns and I'm seeing the number of first-time purchases increase.

I don't know how many of those people buy on their first visit, but my website doesn't have a cart. My product page button says "Order Now" and goes straight to checkout.

Currently, if someone joins my list they get 7 days of emails. I also send non-automated campaigns 4-5 days per week.

My product pages are built out like long-form direct-response sales pages with around 2,000 words of text, but only the first paragraph or two differs from one product to another. Everything else is just a drag-n-drop template from one product to the next.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
For the first month, I didn't have automated emails. I didn't set up opt-ins until the end of the month and those were just simple lead magnets with no follow-up emails at the time.

On Etsy, my conversion rates were lower, but they were starting to rise when Etsy killed my account.

View attachment 47997

It took a while on Etsy to get the ads dialed in. For the first month or so I wasn't sure ads were worth it. Once I figured out which products were popular, then I adjusted my ads and the results started to improve.

Website conversions were always higher than Etsy. Over the lifetime they're at 15.8%.

View attachment 47998
A lot of my customers are repeat buyers, but recently I switched from Max Click Google Ads campaigns to Max Conversion campaigns and I'm seeing the number of first-time purchases increase.

I don't know how many of those people buy on their first visit, but my website doesn't have a cart. My product page button says "Order Now" and goes straight to checkout.

Currently, if someone joins my list they get 7 days of emails. I also send non-automated campaigns 4-5 days per week.

My product pages are built out like long-form direct-response sales pages with around 2,000 words of text, but only the first paragraph or two differs from one product to another. Everything else is just a drag-n-drop template from one product to the next.

Thanks for the invaluable charts and insight!

Veloce Grey

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 24, 2014
I once spent $125 on one giant gummy bear. Don't underestimate my ability to spend money on stuff that makes me feel happy, naughty, excited, silly, innocent, joyful, and hyped up on enough sugar to kill every diabetic in a hundred mile radius.

Gummy bears are wonderful. Ok, I'm going back to reading this thread now.
There's definitely spinoff thread potential here for people to mention "things I actually bought" so people can see the amounts people have paid for some very unusual products. It's easy to think nobody will buy something because it's hard for an individual to grasp the variety of things billions of people can desire and happily hand over money for-both in the sane, cold light of day and more especially in an emotional state at 2am in the morning.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.