The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Create a $2k+/mo Passive Income Website in 30 Days (or Less)

AndreiR

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Aug 30, 2017
Toronto, ON, CAN
That's a very good point. It makes sense to separate traffic between Google and Facebook as high-intent (buy now) and low-intent (free content or community) and treat those audiences accordingly. It may be more work to have two different CTAs, but these offers would function symbiotically- since if someone doesn't reply to the high-intent offer they can be directly down-sold or retargeted with a low-intent offer.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
You guys ever get the feeling some people just have to be right?

hmmm-thinking.gif

I would NEVER be that guy. Nope. Not me... Lol.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
I'm going back and taking notes from that post I quoted earlier.
A day later, an automated message goes out about a free 7-day training to prepare the reader to buy the product. They can choose to opt-in to that or not by clicking a button.
I don't remember who, but some direct response email copywriter would put a button/link in their drip sequence as you have here to allow readers to 'skip ahead' the days and get that following email right away. It allowed for faster conversions, more engaged subscribers, etc.

W/o knowing what you have going on, this may be beneficial to implement.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
That's a very good point. It makes sense to separate traffic between Google and Facebook as high-intent (buy now) and low-intent (free content or community) and treat those audiences accordingly. It may be more work to have two different CTAs, but these offers would function symbiotically- since if someone doesn't reply to the high-intent offer they can be directly down-sold or retargeted with a low-intent offer.
My advice is to try not to call it traffic. Doing so makes you forget they're people using Google or Facebook. If you picture the people using each platform you'll realise it's not a case of classing visitors from Google as "high-intent" and visitors from Facebook as "low-intent".

It's not about the platform, it's about how people are using it. People have search-intent on Google since it's a search engine, but could have a very low buying intent if they used an info-seeker search term. And someone visiting your website via your "Buy this great product!" ad on Facebook could have a very high buying intent.

This thread might help:

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Live
I set up Google Analytics and Google Ads accounts this morning for Site 2. I haven't set up conversion tracking yet, but the first ad campaign is live which means site 2 is officially launched.

$500 Google Ad Credit

The Ad account came with a $500 credit. To get the credit, you have to spend $500 in ads within 60 days (which comes out of pocket). The credit gets applied AFTER you meet the requirements FYI.

Additional Pages
I added a "Thank You" page, and a "FAQ" page. The Thank You page is for conversion-tracking purposes in Google. The FAQ page will help overcome objections.

Email Opt-In
I set up a simple opt-in that has no automations for now. The opt-in says, "Join below to get FREE [Product] Training Emails." There is no lead magnet. I'll create that later. For now, I can send informational campaigns that link to my products.

Next Steps
I need to set up conversion tracking with Google Tag Manager. I also need to add the remaining products and get those live today.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Live
I set up Google Analytics and Google Ads accounts this morning for Site 2. I haven't set up conversion tracking yet, but the first ad campaign is live which means site 2 is officially launched.

$500 Google Ad Credit

The Ad account came with a $500 credit. To get the credit, you have to spend $500 in ads within 60 days (which comes out of pocket). The credit gets applied AFTER you meet the requirements FYI.

Additional Pages
I added a "Thank You" page, and a "FAQ" page. The Thank You page is for conversion-tracking purposes in Google. The FAQ page will help overcome objections.

Email Opt-In
I set up a simple opt-in that has no automations for now. The opt-in says, "Join below to get FREE [Product] Training Emails." There is no lead magnet. I'll create that later. For now, I can send informational campaigns that link to my products.

Next Steps
I need to set up conversion tracking with Google Tag Manager. I also need to add the remaining products and get those live today.
Set up secondary conversions of people clicking various buttons. Then you'll know X% of visitors click the Add-To-Cart-Button. Y% of people who click the Add-To-Cart-Button then complete the purchase. Etc.

Lorenzoo

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Jul 19, 2022
Germany
one thing isn't really clear to me and it bothers me. i understood your process and could easily create a whole basic website like you in a few hours, also loving Thrive Themes (never heard of ThriveCart before but sure great thing haha)
email optin and tracking no problem also
for Google Ads i'd consult Andy because i wouldn't like to get my budget go to waste, used Facebook Ads before (and it's terrible)

but i can't get my mind around the 1day creation thing
when i think of creating a product people would love and use in their daily activities i typically think of a week of creation minimum
when i think of creating photoshop templates (which i don't have much experience there) i see myself sitting 7 days on computer crafting this before it is halfway ready to sell
could u maybe give some notes or hints on what a product is and needs to be created in one day? didn't quite understand this

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
one thing isn't really clear to me and it bothers me. i understood your process and could easily create a whole basic website like you in a few hours, also loving Thrive Themes (never heard of ThriveCart before but sure great thing haha)
for Google Ads i'd consult Andy because i wouldn't like to get my budget go to waste, used Facebook Ads before (and it's terrible)

when i think of creating a product people would love and use in their daily activities i typically think of a week of creation minimum
when i think of creating photoshop templates (which i don't have much experience there) i see myself sitting 7 days on computer crafting this before it is halfway ready to sell
could u maybe give some notes or hints on what a product is and needs to be created in one day? didn't quite understand this
What if I was to sell you an SOP to create Google Ads campaigns for carpet cleaners? It would be pretty simple for me to knock up. And pretty quick for me to create versions for 50 other niches.

Or maybe it's a funny St Patrick's day greeting for a sister and you just change the name and a few personal details? And you also sell versions for brothers, aunts, uncles, mums, dads, etc.

Or it's a Google sheet cashflow template for soccer clubs. And version's for rugby, athletics, basketball, cricket, etc.

I've not sold these types of products but I can't imagine they'd take 7 days to create.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

The product doesn't have to be created in a day. If it can, that's great. The product my first site sells took more than a day to *fully* create, but once it was created, it could be duplicated into other products in minutes by changing minor details.

Examples:

- Recipes:
Can be productized as a downloadable PDF in minutes.
- Live Streaming Skins: Can be made in an hour using Inkscape for free. Can easily be turned into multiple skins by changing nothing but the color.
- ASMR: Can be recorded in an hour or less and uploaded as a .MP3.
- PDF Guide: Teaching how to spray your house with pesticides could be created in an hour or less.
- Chat GPT Prompts: Give people access to 25 creative prompts that help Chat GPT write a novel for you.
- Music: An hour-long meditation track can be created in a few minutes with Envato and Canva
- Photos: You can take stock photos with your phone at home and upload them in minutes.
- Graphics: Simple graphics like the arrows marketers use to point to buttons can be made in 5 minutes.
- Email Automations: Create an automation in ActiveCampaign and then sell access to the link that allows other people to install the same automation in their own ActiveCampaign account without doing any setup work. Can be done in a few minutes.

Lorenzoo

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Jul 19, 2022
Germany
The product doesn't have to be created in a day. If it can, that's great. The product my first site sells took more than a day to *fully* create, but once it was created, it could be duplicated into other products in minutes by changing minor details.

Examples:

- Recipes:
Can be productized as a downloadable PDF in minutes.
- Live Streaming Skins: Can be made in an hour using Inkscape for free. Can easily be turned into multiple skins by changing nothing but the color.
- ASMR: Can be recorded in an hour or less and uploaded as a .MP3.
- PDF Guide: Teaching how to spray your house with pesticides could be created in an hour or less.
- Chat GPT Prompts: Give people access to 25 creative prompts that help Chat GPT write a novel for you.
- Music: An hour-long meditation track can be created in a few minutes with Envato and Canva
- Photos: You can take stock photos with your phone at home and upload them in minutes.
- Graphics: Simple graphics like the arrows marketers use to point to buttons can be made in 5 minutes.
- Email Automations: Create an automation in ActiveCampaign and then sell access to the link that allows other people to install the same automation in their own ActiveCampaign account without doing any setup work. Can be done in a few minutes.
i see clearly now! thank you

gonna get creative here

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
You guys ever get the feeling some people just have to be right?

View attachment 47608

I would NEVER be that guy. Nope. Not me... Lol.

rutogalore-batman.gif

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I have a confession to make... I pay for the negative karma I accrue as an a**hole by making highly valuable threads. :)

All right, I want to talk about Google Ads a little this morning.

Here is my basic setup:

The Campaign
I create a Cost-Per-Click (CPC) search campaign with no objective and opt out of the Google partner networks so my stuff only shows up on the actual search page.

Bidding
I'm using manual CPC bidding for now, but I'll probably switch it to maximize clicks later on.

Budget
I'm using $5/day budget while the campaign does its "Bid Strategy Learning" thing and then will bump it up to $10/day after that until I have sales. Max CPC is set to $1.00.

Keywords
To keep things simple, I'm targeting 1 keyword to start. It's a Broad Match keyword. I'll change this later once I have more data about the keywords people search for.

Audience
I'll target all locations for a few days to get generalized data about what gets people to click. Then I'll narrow my audience by location, age, gender, device, and days/time online.

Initial Results
I turned off the campaign that was created in the account setup process and created a brand-new one that launched this morning. Sixteen impressions, three clicks, no sales, no opt-ins. All super valuable data.

Google Ads 6.png

Product Pages
Since I only have six products total, I extended the product descriptions by adding a few extra sections to the page such as:
  • An extended product description (using Problem Agitate Solve (PAS) method).
  • How it Works section (covers info already covered on the About page)
  • What This Can Do section (covers product benefits)
  • Added a few additional photos
To speed the process up, I did this for one product first, then saved it as a Thrive Themes template so I could just insert the extended sections into the other pages and make minor modifications.

I'll keep extending the product page as-needed until I get sales. I'll add additional targeting, an about section, highlight more features, even a money-back guarantee (if necessary) until I get someone to buy. Once I get testimonials, I'll start adding those too, and I'll keep building out these product pages until they're eventually full-blown sales pages with massive credibility.

Thrive Optimize
Once I have a bit more data to work with, I'll split-test product pages to see what converts best. Very simple to do with Thrive Optimize (part of Thrive Themes membership).

Microsoft Clarity
I'll set up Microsoft Clarity today. I use this free tool for heat maps and because it tells where people drop off from pages at. Extremely useful to figure out specific areas that need to be changed on individual pages.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Keywords
To keep things simple, I'm targeting 1 keyword to start. It's a Broad Match keyword. I'll change this later once I have more data about the SEARCH TERMS people search for.
I corrected the above. People lose money by forgetting the difference between keywords and search terms.

I'm curious why you're starting with broad. Does the Keyword Planner not show lots of different search terms you could bid on as phrase match keywords?

If we use broad it's after we've dialed in exact and/or phrase and are looking for more search terms that we can then add to our exact/phrase campaigns.

Audience
I'll target all locations for a few days to get generalized data about what gets people to click. Then I'll narrow my audience by location, age, gender, device, and days/time online.
If you're targeting the whole of the US in a campaign then you could add each state to the campaign and then remove the US targeting. You then get stats by state when you look at the Locations menu on the left. It can be handy to see where your volume is coming from.

An optimisation tactic later could be to create a campaign per state and personalise the ads and landing pages.

I suspect location, age, gender, day of week, etc aren't so important. Especially if you end up going to maximise conversions. You'd then let Google figure that out for you, and then the metrics start giving you an insight into what drives conversions. You likely don't have enough data to make those decisions, and you likely can't beat the algorithm.

Device is another story though. If you're B2C then most impressions and clicks will likely be on mobile. If you're B2B then most will likely be on desktop. Either way, the conversion rates may differ per device so make sure you optimise for wherever you get the most volume. Consider turning off the other devices if you're skewed towards one anyway. Dial that one in before figuring out the other devices.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I corrected the above. People lose money by forgetting the difference between keywords and search terms.
I don't know what the difference is lol.

I'm curious why you're starting with broad. Does the Keyword Planner not show lots of different search terms you could bid on as phrase match keywords?
Keyword planner shows what people are searching for, but I want to know what search term they searched for when they saw my ad and clicked on it. Does that make sense?

If I use phrase match or exact match then I wouldn't get that data, right?

If you're targeting the whole of the US in a campaign then you could add each state to the campaign and then remove the US targeting. You then get stats by state when you look at the Locations menu on the left. It can be handy to see where your volume is coming from.

An optimisation tactic later could be to create a campaign per state and personalise the ads and landing pages.

I suspect location, age, gender, day of week, etc aren't so important. Especially if you end up going to maximise conversions. You'd then let Google figure that out for you, and then the metrics start giving you an insight into what drives conversions. You likely don't have enough data to make those decisions, and you likely can't beat the algorithm.
That makes sense.

I do need to test Maximize Conversions on my first site. Site 2 doesn't have enough data for it yet, but I think the other site does. I hadn't considered that Google would figure all of that other stuff out for me.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Keyword planner shows what people are searching for, but I want to know what search term they searched for when they saw my ad and clicked on it. Does that make sense?

That makes sense.

I do need to test Maximize Conversions on my first site. Site 2 doesn't have enough data for it yet, but I think the other site does. I hadn't considered that Google would figure all of that other stuff out for me.
Hi Lex,

Great thread. Just going to slightly hijack it to prove something to the people who can't come up with ideas. Ideas are everywhere. Since I'm an ecom guy, I probably view everything through this lens. I came across this on etsy for $65 with many reviews.

A quick search on Amazon shows you can get 25 gummies for $2.71 and the canvas for $2.00 ea. So $4.71 cost of goods, plus some glue and a box to ship. You can make $45 a pop selling these. So simple.

dd.pngUntitled.png1.png

Attachments

• il_1140xN.3846689717_5cry.jpg
    il_1140xN.3846689717_5cry.jpg
    354 KB · Views: 87

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Now as I m looking , I find digital goods for 50 cent, which have 500k downloads in 2 years and are to be created in minutes, once you figured the first few out. ( which may take days or weeks honestly)

So my way lays clear in front of me.
Only one a**hole is slowing me down.

Btw, I deregistered my business 2 weeks ago, as I couldn’t figure out anything and was stopped by my disc prolapse since 9 months.

ugudango

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 17, 2022
Bratislava, Slovakia
Hi Lex,

Great thread. Just going to slightly hijack it to prove something to the people who can't come up with ideas. Ideas are everywhere. Since I'm an ecom guy, I probably view everything through this lens. I came across this on etsy for $65 with many reviews.

A quick search on Amazon shows you can get 25 gummies for $2.71 and the canvas for $2.00 ea. So $4.71 cost of goods, plus some glue and a box to ship. You can make $45 a pop selling these. So simple.

View attachment 47646View attachment 47643View attachment 47644

Interesting find :)
Now I'm curious, who would be our target audience here? How would we sell this and to who? Who's in the market for gummybear walls?
I'm not gonna use this but just curious about what you guys think about an audience for a product like this.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Keywords are what we bid on in Google Ads. Search terms are what people type into Google.

Keywords match SETS of search terms.

Keywords can be exact match, phrase match, or broad match. The set of search terms gets larger as you change your keyword from exact to phrase to broad.

It gets confusing because SEOs call what people type into Google "keywords".

And... because Google themselves call it the "Google Keyword Planner" when it shows the search volumes for search terms, not keywords.

It doesn't matter what match type you use.

Go to Keywords and Search terms and look at what search terms you've been showing for.

1678915088548.png

For bonus points go to Columns, Attributes, and select Keyword.

Now you can see the search terms and the keywords that pulled them in.

Based on what you said I don't think you're ready to use broad match. I recommend you just use phrase or exact match, and watch your search terms like a hawk.

Exact match isn't exact.

Phrase match isn't phrase.

Google takes liberties.

Which is why I think they default to NOT showing the keywords in the search term report.

Oh, and I think they're quite happy everyone gets confused between keywords and search terms. It suits them for everyone to look at the keywords in the *Keyword* Planner and load them up thinking they're only going to show for those exact keywords (search terms!).

From 2014:

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Now I'm curious, who would be our target audience here? How would we sell this and to who? Who's in the market for gummybear walls?
I'm not gonna use this but just curious about what you guys think about an audience for a product like this.

Any streamer looking for something cool to put on their background.
Any person into decorating their room, especially people following a "vibe" or special style

Funny thing, I think 8 y/o me would have crushed finding/coming up things like this. Why did 30 y/o me lost the vision? I used to be more creative. lol

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Honestly, I don’t know. But does it really matter? All that matters is that somebody is buying them

I liked them. I would buy a larger one. People decorating their homes?

The larger ones sell for $500-$1500. That’s what I need for my house.

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Hi Lex,

View attachment 47646View attachment 47643View attachment 47644

I swear I just heard the sound of 100 freelance copywriters opening another tab to visit Etsy...

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
@Andy Black @Lex DeVille What kind of search volume am I looking for? numbers-wise, for potentially good keywords

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
@Andy Black @Lex DeVille What kind of search volume am I looking for? numbers-wise, for potentially good keywords
I'll step in.

The potentially good keywords are the ones that sound like somebody's ready to buy.

You can find 100 different 10-searches keywords.

Or 10 different 100-searches keywords.

The first is more work, but ultimately it is the same traffic.

But you can back into your number yourself.

Assuming 1% conversion, you'll make 10 sales per month with that kind of traffic.

How much profit margin do you have in your product? Multiply that by 10 and you'll have your profit for the month.

From there, how much do you need to live on? You can follow the math all the way back up the chain to figure out how many phrases, or how much search volume you need.

BUT, If you can get your conversion rate up to 5%, then you'll only need 1/5th of the traffic.

Make sense?

ugudango

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 17, 2022
Bratislava, Slovakia
Honestly, I don’t know. But does it really matter? All that matters is that somebody is buying them

I liked them. I would buy a larger one. People decorating their homes?

The larger ones sell for $500-$1500. That’s what I need for my house.
Well of course it matters, no?
If it doesn't then in theory if I target unmarried 25-year-old powerlifters in Zambia should I expect to get results?
I'm sure people are buying these, the question is which people?
Logically we'd need somebody with a female in their life/family or a guy who is a part of the LGBT community. Or maybe a dude who is really into gummy bears and potentially has a few restraining orders, but who am I to judge. :eyes:

These above (excluding the last one) aren't the most niche groups so really how effective is it to target them as customers?

I'd love to hear more input on this topic

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Well of course it matters, no?
If it doesn't then in theory if I target unmarried 25-year-old powerlifters in Zambia should I expect to get results?
I'm sure people are buying these, the question is which people?
Logically we'd need somebody with a female in their life/family or a guy who is a part of the LGBT community. Or maybe a dude who is really into gummy bears and potentially has a few restraining orders, but who am I to judge. :eyes:

These above (excluding the last one) aren't the most niche groups so really how effective is it to target them as customers?

I'd love to hear more input on this topic
If you’re making these and selling on Etsy, how do you plan to target certain people? Were you planning on using Facebook ads?

All I need to know is that there is demand. Then I’ll figure out who it is afterwards. Does it matter who it turns out to be?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
All I need to know is that there is demand. Then I’ll figure out who it is afterwards. Does it matter who it turns out to be?
^^^ This.

That's why I like ads on Google. We don't know or care about who they are, just that they're searching for our product or service.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'll step in.

The potentially good keywords are the ones that sound like somebody's ready to buy.

You can find 100 different 10-searches keywords.

Or 10 different 100-searches keywords.

The first is more work, but ultimately it is the same traffic.

But you can back into your number yourself.

Assuming 1% conversion, you'll make 10 sales per month with that kind of traffic.

How much profit margin do you have in your product? Multiply that by 10 and you'll have your profit for the month.

From there, how much do you need to live on? You can follow the math all the way back up the chain to figure out how many phrases, or how much search volume you need.

BUT, If you can get your conversion rate up to 5%, then you'll only need 1/5th of the traffic.

Make sense?
I'll just add:

Think of a buyer search term where they're searching with their credit card or phone in hand. Think of an info-seeker search term where they're searching with a cup of coffee in hand.

For buyers, send them to a page where they can buy.

For info-seekers, send them to a page where they can get information(possibly by signing up).

Sounds obvious right?

If you're just starting out with Google Ads then I suggest skewing towards high volume and low CPC search terms (Google will call them keywords in the Keyword Planner). This will help you learn faster because you'll get more visitors a day for a low budget like $5/day.

Take keyword planner estimated monthly search volumes with a grain of salt. They're estimates, and you likely won't show 100% of the time anyway.

Run the ads to get the data. I've a whole thread on that process somewhere.

ugudango

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 17, 2022
Bratislava, Slovakia
If you’re making these and selling on Etsy, how do you plan to target certain people? Were you planning on using Facebook ads?

Aha, we misunderstood each other - I was talking more about Ads and ad audiences rather than Etsy only.
Yeah in the case of just selling on Etsy, it doesn't matter but I'm curious about targeting people with ads specifically.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.