The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How should I sell the rights to my book?

polmod

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Mar 22, 2013
Quito, Ecuador
Hello to all.

My name is Paolo Modenese, I'm an italo-ecuadorian 27 year old architect and I have been working on my first fastlane for almost 2 years (in Ecuador).

My fastlane is a book: its the first practical guide for Ecuadorian site managers. I saw potential in the idea and it met most of the 5 commandments (except Scale cause its only for Ecuador). If you are interested in checking it out, the webpage is www.manualdeObra.com

Anyway, the execution was quite good and in less than a year the business has given me these numbers:
- Total costs (printing, marketing, edition): 4700 USD
- Total sponsorship revenue: 6000 USD
- Total sales revenue: 18000 USD
- Total annual profit: 19300 USD

I made the book in such a way that you could print a new edition every year. So potentially, this revenue could be reached each year. Now, the thing is that this business was just a test, to see if i could build a business from scratch and make it profitable. Now I know I can, and I'm ready to start working on THE fastlane that will make me wealthy. So I want to sell the authorship and publishing rights to any company that can be interested in buying it.

The business should be worth:
- Annual profit (19300) x ind. multiplier (3) + fixed costs for making the book (14500) = 72400 USD

So, this is my question: How do I go about making that offer? Do I just mail all companies that might be interested showing them the impact the book has had and the numbers? How do I create a DEMAND for my book... I think that is the crucial question...

Thank you all in advance.

Kind regards,

Paolo

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Selfy

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 7, 2014
It seems like an agent would do good for you.

A book agent is someone who sells your book to publishing companies. In this case, maybe a publishing company that is involved in selling technical textbooks or work in correspondence with your target industry.

You will need to demonstrate demand.

Usually, demand is a function of need. If demand is recurring (yearly) the better. The burden of proof falls on you initially unless your publisher decides to do market research (most of the time they won't).

Creating demand for niche info product is a matter of advertising. The more demonstrably you are able to do this, the better. So keep your receipts. Lastly, if this is in Ecuador, you'll need to study how the publishing business is setup there because it will be different from what most here knows about.

Good luck.

polmod

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Mar 22, 2013
Quito, Ecuador
It seems like an agent would do good for you.

A book agent is someone who sells your book to publishing companies. In this case, maybe a publishing company that is involved in selling technical textbooks or work in correspondence with your target industry.

You will need to demonstrate demand.

Usually, demand is a function of need. If demand is recurring (yearly) the better. The burden of proof falls on you initially unless your publisher decides to do market research (most of the time they won't).

Creating demand for niche info product is a matter of advertising. The more demonstrably you are able to do this, the better. So keep your receipts. Lastly, if this is in Ecuador, you'll need to study how the publishing business is setup there because it will be different from what most here knows about.

Good luck.

Thank you very much for your response!
Yes. A book agent is a great idea!
And yes, I have been thinking about demonstrating demand... I have been keeping all the Fb shares, webpage stats and metrics for this purpose.

I'll be doing some more investigation on the book market, it seems like a great idea.
Thank you again!

All the best,

Paolo

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads