The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How Much Information Do You Really Need To Get Series A Funding?

juresesko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 10, 2020
Slovenia
Let's say that we have already figured out:
Who will benefit our business

Why do we want to start this business

What kind of business this will be

Which problems of specific niches will be solved

Next step would be design of the products and the brand, setup of the channel from which the products will be sold, cost per product, information on how you differentiate from other companies that are already solving those problems but not as good as your company will and a clear picture about where their money will be used.

Which brings us to the question what else should a business plan have to prove that the company has potential for growth?

I would like to invite everyone to give an opinion. Imagine that you are in the shoes of a venture capitalist.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
I want to know who you and the management team are.

Eg If you tell me you have a new idea for a car tyre, you yourself may have no industry experience other than your own efforts but I would expect you to have convinced INSIDERS of your idea and got them on board.

So if you said your Production Engineer is from Continental and your Ops Guy is from Pirelli can you see how that is already looking like a safer bet? People who know what they are doing have already validated your idea for me.

In most cases I want to know what your sales are to date. Same reason as above. I want some sort of validation of your idea.

The purpose of the investment is to use that capital to fuel your growth, not help you start from scratch.

Dan

PS: And when I ask what are you going to do with the money I do not want to hear you say 'Spend it on Facebook' otherwise I will just go and spend more money buying Facebook shares instead.

juresesko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 10, 2020
Slovenia
I want to know who you and the management team are.

Eg If you tell me you have a new idea for a car tyre, you yourself may have no industry experience other than your own efforts but I would expect you to have convinced INSIDERS of your idea and got them on board.

So if you said your Production Engineer is from Continental and your Ops Guy is from Pirelli can you see how that is already looking like a safer bet? People who know what they are doing have already validated your idea for me.

In most cases I want to know what your sales are to date. Same reason as above. I want some sort of validation of your idea.

The purpose of the investment is to use that capital to fuel your growth, not help you start from scratch.

Dan

PS: And when I ask what are you going to do with the money I do not want to hear you say 'Spend it on Facebook' otherwise I will just go and spend more money buying Facebook shares instead.

As @Kak is trying to convince people to do bigger deals and to build businesses that are bigger.

How would you feel if the we would approach with only prototypes of our products and no sales yet?
But having those products tested and pre-sold to prove demand?

Do you even have the network to attempt such a thing?

No, not yet
but I am sure that I could find the right contacts to make this work.
But I have not yet figured out how much seed money would I need to hire a production engineer and design all the products.
As for how long this would take it should not take so much because products would not be so complicated.

Of course before stepping to a potential investor I would have the networks figured out.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
As @Kak is trying to convince people to do bigger deals and to build businesses that are bigger.

How would you feel if the we would approach with only prototypes of our products and no sales yet?

There is a spectrum for an investment. You could use a lot of different words for it.

On the LEFT side of the spectrum is:
Higher risk, total speculation, a bet on the entrepreneur. Higher potential reward for investors.

On the RIGHT side of the spectrum is:
Lower risk, Collateralized and safety. Often reserved for loans and banking. Lower potential return for investors.

In the MIDDLE are some companies that may have some sales, or some proof of concept, or a company committed to buying what you eventually build.

You don't necessarily need sales, but you need SOMETHING. You need to be creative, build a compelling offer, and an easily explainable expectation of sales. When you boil this down to simple capitalism... Win-win, mutually beneficial, exchange of value, it gets easier... What will make an investor RIGHTFULLY believe in you? Get in the head of an investor. This isn't a handout. They are not doing you a favor. This isn't fake it until you make it. This isn't bluffing. This is putting the best hand together with the resources you have available now and then playing the hand. Don't go to an investor with a pair of twos.

Every business starts on the LEFT side of the spectrum. As time ticks on you are moving the business from the LEFT side of that spectrum to the RIGHT. You are armed with more and more information. Your venture capital gets cheaper and cheaper for you to take on. Your hand gets better.

My suggestion is usually to limit assumptions as much as possible. Don't misconstrue what I am saying with trying to get investor money when you literally have nothing. The more you limit the assumptions you have to make, the more and more of a picture you can paint for potential investors, the more money you can raise and the less you will need to give up in return for it.

A LOT of assumptions can be limited with sweat equity. You can answer a lot of questions by being that aggressive entrepreneur and pounding the phones. That aggressive, go getter, action taking will also show when you present this information. Not only are you clearing up the picture for the business, you are justifying yourself as the expert, as the right leader for the venture.

There is a LOT at play in every business and the answer is almost always "it depends." There is very little cookie cutter advice, but the biggest and fastest growing new companies that you hear about on CNBC, filing for IPOs, interviewing their CEOs... Those guys got VC money.

Last edited:

juresesko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 10, 2020
Slovenia
There is a spectrum for an investment. You could use a lot of different words for it.

On the LEFT side of the spectrum is:
Higher risk, total speculation, a bet on the entrepreneur. Higher potential reward for investors.

On the RIGHT side of the spectrum is:
Lower risk, Collateralized and safety. Often reserved for loans and banking. Lower potential return for investors.

In the MIDDLE are some companies that may have some sales, or some proof of concept, or a company committed to buying what you eventually build.

My suggestion is usually to limit assumptions as much as possible. Don't misconstrue what I am saying with trying to get investor money when you literally have nothing. The more you limit the assumptions you have to make, the more and more of a picture you can paint for potential investors, the more money you can raise and the less you will need to give up in return for it.

A LOT of assumptions can be limited with sweat equity. You can answer a lot of questions by being that aggressive entrepreneur and pounding the phones. That aggressive, go getter, action taking will also show when you present this information. Not only are you clearing up the picture for the business, you are justifying yourself as the expert, as the right leader for the venture.

I understand.
I have to be the one to pull the strings together and make a web out of it.
Thanks for you wise words. I would like to write you a bigger reply but you got me thinking.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England

That's fine.

I just need to get the concept, get the market and get who you have spoken to in order to get some sort of validation in my mind of your concept.

So again, it comes down to you and your team that I am actually looking at.

Are you the right people to take it forward?

If you say you have an idea for a jet-pack and nothing more to add, well so has every kid for the last 60 years or more.

I don't expect you to have one fully working.

If you tell me you have designed a jet-pack, knocked up what it will look like, tell me BAE Systems Engineers have proven the science behind what you are trying to achieve and The Royal Navy are interested then I'm all ears.

See. You and your team have done something.

Dan

juresesko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 10, 2020
Slovenia
That's fine.

I just need to get the concept, get the market and get who you have spoken to in order to get some sort of validation in my mind of your concept.

So again, it comes down to you and your team that I am actually looking at.

Are you the right people to take it forward?

If you say you have an idea for a jet-pack and nothing more to add, well so has every kid for the last 60 years or more.

I don't expect you to have one fully working.

If you tell me you have designed a jet-pack, knocked up what it will look like, tell me BAE Systems Engineers have proven the science behind what you are trying to achieve and The Royal Navy are interested then I'm all ears.

See. You and your team have done something.

Dan
Some "jetpacks" were already available but they did not work as people expected. Sadly

I have been led to believe that the machines that are currently available on the market can not perform such precise changes that would be required to safely move you more than 3 feet of the ground.
Just another problem to solve right ;)

I would like to say thank you for replying. And sharing your point of view it really means a lot to me

Jure

juresesko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 10, 2020
Slovenia
Do companies like this generate any profit?

I checked their website, I see they are selling T-Shirts and some other accessories.

I wonder how much resources he had available right from the start.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
I'm currently in the process of a decent size raise and looking forward to starting a thread on the experience.

My startup has lost its revenue due to Covid but since my platforms, network and influence are incredibly solid I have a good shot of getting into the promised land. There has been over 500k sunk into my business, with around 60% of it mine. Bootstrapping was critical in the growth of what I do and quite frankly wouldn't of had it any other way as the horrific grind I've been on the last 6 years in my industry is what molded me into this position.

The lessons I've learned from going broke, retooling, and being very careful of my funding has forged a conservative approach with spending which a huge asset as my space and niche has a history of burnout due to overspending and VC funded projects going under when they appear to be completely crushing it.

Also I rushed into an angel deal when I went broke a few years ago, the consequences are now coming to smack me right in the face as its affecting my current situation, but thankfully my partners are amazing humans and makes it so much easier to give them the deal of the century which Im handcuffed for life. Lessons learned there to never rush into a investment, even if there is massive time loss and why I tread with incredible caution with every raise.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Here's some food for thought. Consider how much of your company are you willing to give up for this first round of funding. That's a big part of the equation.

Because the way you're talking, it sounds like this will just be the first round.

Let's say you need to raise a million dollars, but you only want to give up 10%. Then how are you going to justify a $10 million company valuation when you don't have any thing more than an idea?

On the other hand if you want to raise a million dollars and you give up 49%, then you only have to justify a roughly $2 million valuation. But you also don't have too much equity left to do next raise, without potentially losing control of the company, or needing to convince the initial investors to sell part of their share.

That's a big reason why a lot of people tend to go to friends and family for their first round of funding. These are the people that are already on your side.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
I wonder how much resources he had available right from the start.

He is an ex-Royal Marine who got on with what he knew we are going to have anyway so why not him? £60k is the answer though, plus an open door that is priceless

In affect he did what @BizyDad writes here but not for money, rather credibility that led to investors.

That's a big reason why a lot of people tend to go to friends and family for their first round of funding. These are the people that are already on your side.

Dan

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
At this stage you can ask angel investors - they are less about money and more about founders.
And as for directly answering your question: no pitch deck will convince good investors - its YOUR job.

juresesko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 10, 2020
Slovenia
I'm currently in the process of a decent size raise and looking forward to starting a thread on the experience.

My startup has lost its revenue due to Covid but since my platforms, network and influence are incredibly solid I have a good shot of getting into the promised land. There has been over 500k sunk into my business, with around 60% of it mine. Bootstrapping was critical in the growth of what I do and quite frankly wouldn't of had it any other way as the horrific grind I've been on the last 6 years in my industry is what molded me into this position.

The lessons I've learned from going broke, retooling, and being very careful of my funding has forged a conservative approach with spending which a huge asset as my space and niche has a history of burnout due to overspending and VC funded projects going under when they appear to be completely crushing it.

Also I rushed into an angel deal when I went broke a few years ago, the consequences are now coming to smack me right in the face as its affecting my current situation, but thankfully my partners are amazing humans and makes it so much easier to give them the deal of the century which Im handcuffed for life. Lessons learned there to never rush into a investment, even if there is massive time loss and why I tread with incredible caution with every raise.
I firmly believe that you and your team will be able to reach the goal you have set and grow.

Just yesterday I read this in the book The Law of Success by Mr. Hill

"No man ever achieved worth-while success who did not, at one time or other, find himself with at least one foot hanging well over the brink of failure."

How much has your life and people around you changed in those 6 years?
You said you have partners. How was at the start of your journey did you had partner 6 years ago? And did you have any problems when trying to explain your vision?

Here's some food for thought. Consider how much of your company are you willing to give up for this first round of funding. That's a big part of the equation.

Because the way you're talking, it sounds like this will just be the first round.

Let's say you need to raise a million dollars, but you only want to give up 10%. Then how are you going to justify a $10 million company valuation when you don't have any thing more than an idea?

On the other hand if you want to raise a million dollars and you give up 49%, then you only have to justify a roughly $2 million valuation. But you also don't have too much equity left to do next raise, without potentially losing control of the company, or needing to convince the initial investors to sell part of their share.

You have a point. And I agree with you.

I have made a non functional prototype. And I plan to use my own savings that I got from working in a bar and food delivery for as long as I can.
I think I have enough to create a proper design and for first order of products.
My goal is to keep 100% equity for as long as it seems logical.

I have some friends that would like to "work" with me but the problem is that they do not have any skills that I would find useful nor money nor understanding of what business actually is.

My goal is to find people that know more than I do, that understand me and have faith in me and my idea.

Did you ever struggle with looking for people that would have faith in your project and at the same time provide some value to it.

Last edited:

juresesko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 10, 2020
Slovenia
He is an ex-Royal Marine who got on with what he knew we are going to have anyway so why not him? £60k is the answer though, plus an open door that is priceless

In affect he did what @BizyDad writes here but not for money, rather credibility that led to investors.

Dan
I am amazed with what he achieved in those few years.
He simply did not give up.
What do you mean by open door? Connections and knowledge where he can get those jet engines.

By credibility you meant that something like that is actually possible and that he is close to finding the solution?

At this stage you can ask angel investors - they are less about money and more about founders.
And as for directly answering your question: no pitch deck will convince good investors - its YOUR job.
I wonder if there are any angel investors in my country Slovenia.

Which brings me to question what would it take to move to America or Canada?
If you plan to start a business there.

Yes I understand you, I could have a lot more to offer but if they would not "catch my vibe" I would lose them.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
I wonder if there are any angel investors in my country Slovenia.
Probably there are a few but bare with me,
Yes I understand you, I could have a lot more to offer but if they would not "catch my vibe" I would lose them.
Most of countries in Europe are indeed little behind when it comes to investing.

But! An idea - you don't have to move to US or Canada to talk to angel investors, you can very much explain that you're from Slovenia and cold call ANY angel investor in the world.
Not only US based but also German, Swedish etc.

Most of the time its just numbers game. You call 100, 90'll say not, 5 maybe and 5 will get interested.

And i suggest that b/c:
Which brings me to question what would it take to move to America or Canada?
isn't easy to do but not impossible. If you're inclined, read things like this Startup Visa - Wikipedia

Good luck!

Einfamilienhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 8, 2019
Which brings us to the question what else should a business plan have to prove that the company has potential for growth?

At least traction. In the best case any kind of revenue.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
I firmly believe that you and your team will be able to reach the goal you have set and grow.

Just yesterday I read this in the book The Law of Success by Mr. Hill

"No man ever achieved worth-while success who did not, at one time or other, find himself with at least one foot hanging well over the brink of failure."

How much has your life and people around you changed in those 6 years?
You said you have partners. How was at the start of your journey did you had partner 6 years ago? And did you have any problems when trying to explain your vision?

You have a point. And I agree with you.

I have made a non functional prototype. And I plan to use my own savings that I got from working in a bar and food delivery for as long as I can.
I think I have enough to create a proper design and for first order of products.
My goal is to keep 100% equity for as long as it seems logical.

I have some friends that would like to "work" with me but the problem is that they do not have any skills that I would find useful nor money nor understanding of what business actually is.

My goal is to find people that know more than I do, that understand me and have faith in me and my idea.

Did you ever struggle with looking for people that would have faith in your project and at the same time provide some value to it.

Great quote and lived it for over a decade as an entrepreneur.

My life has totally changed as truthfully I completely destroyed myself chasing business for 10.5 years (4.5 years on two other startups before my current one). For the most part just living unhealthy, complete lack of sleep, having to deal with serious issues even when things are awesome, the never stopping of what is needed, and the worst seeing the dirty soul of humanity cause a high percentage will bend you over backwards at every chance and behave in new ways that make your head shake so hard it feels like its gonna break off.

Before I had a sweet M - F gig that I could plan my life and detach from. Now that does not exist, its 7 days a week even if doing something fun or relaxing, business is always lurking and the ability to not disengage is a little rough.

People around me I can't say much as I moved to an area thousands of miles from home and I really dont talk much about what I do. Will be interesting as I do have quite a few industry and business articles coming out the next few months and to see their reaction should be fun.

My original two business investors I knew from my old career which was in international education. I will say my old behavior and reputation as being honest, being an action taker and a person with unique skills sets is what helped close the first deal. They both told me they were investing in me and not the project.

As for investors I have brought on over the past few years it was so much easier having a live project and a bunch of links and they could do the research on their own. I actually almost walked from the last deal which would of delayed me 6 to 12 months, but they ended up bringing someone from my industry in to review my startup and determined they couldn't pass on the deal at the time so they dropped a few requests to make it doable and as of now based on current valuation are up 25x and love what is happening at this moment.

juresesko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 10, 2020
Slovenia

Most of countries in Europe are indeed little behind when it comes to investing.

But! An idea - you don't have to move to US or Canada to talk to angel investors, you can very much explain that you're from Slovenia and cold call ANY angel investor in the world.

Most of the time its just numbers game. You call 100, 90'll say not, 5 maybe and 5 will get interested.

And i suggest that b/c:

isn't easy to do but not impossible. If you're inclined, read things like this Startup Visa - Wikipedia

Good luck!

You are right, you just have to keep trying and I can't tell you how much just this trying moved me forward in the last week.
Good luck to you too!
At least traction. In the best case any kind of revenue.
I guess the revenue is one of the most important things if you don't want much risk involved.

juresesko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 10, 2020
Slovenia
Great quote and lived it for over a decade as an entrepreneur.

My life has totally changed as truthfully I completely destroyed myself chasing business for 10.5 years (4.5 years on two other startups before my current one). For the most part just living unhealthy, complete lack of sleep, having to deal with serious issues even when things are awesome, the never stopping of what is needed, and the worst seeing the dirty soul of humanity cause a high percentage will bend you over backwards at every chance and behave in new ways that make your head shake so hard it feels like its gonna break off.

Before I had a sweet M - F gig that I could plan my life and detach from. Now that does not exist, its 7 days a week even if doing something fun or relaxing, business is always lurking and the ability to not disengage is a little rough.

People around me I can't say much as I moved to an area thousands of miles from home and I really dont talk much about what I do. Will be interesting as I do have quite a few industry and business articles coming out the next few months and to see their reaction should be fun.

My original two business investors I knew from my old career which was in international education. I will say my old behavior and reputation as being honest, being an action taker and a person with unique skills sets is what helped close the first deal. They both told me they were investing in me and not the project.

As for investors I have brought on over the past few years it was so much easier having a live project and a bunch of links and they could do the research on their own. I actually almost walked from the last deal which would of delayed me 6 to 12 months, but they ended up bringing someone from my industry in to review my startup and determined they couldn't pass on the deal at the time so they dropped a few requests to make it doable and as of now based on current valuation are up 25x and love what is happening at this moment.
That's amazing!

What was the reason for moving?
I don't know if this is just a phase but I think that I will have to go live somewhere else for some time as well.
I will see down the road this is not currently my main thing to think about.

You are growing while managing a business at your own terms, I aim to have the same kind of freedom and ability to do what is actually important for a business and not day to day tasks.

Little update:
I found the potential manufacturers for my products

Now here's a catch to create my product I will have one part imported from china and other work done in Germany/Slovenia (HQ of the company is in Germany) I googled the name of the part in Slovenian language and got to the Slovenian site where this company was so I don't know if only HQ is in Germany and the production site in Slovenia... From reading their product overview they say that they really look after quality while keeping and open mind with working with ideas from customers.

So because I will be having parts from different parts of the world I think that I will need to order China products before even contacting the Germany manufacturers.

What do you guys think?

If I would come up to the German Manufacturers and say hey I would like to this this and that but first I will have to wait 2 months to get the other part of the product from China. I am not sure how would people in charge feel about that...

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
What was the reason for moving?
I don't know if this is just a phase but I think that I will have to go live somewhere else for some time as well.
I will see down the road this is not currently my main thing to think about.

I moved back to the US in 2014 after being abroad for 7 years and drifted for a year as couldnt reestablish myself where my family is from as its a very small town. So I just decided to go to a state that had amazing opportunity (Washington). It worked well, but its a hard state to live in due to cost, weather, and social difficulties.

Maybe better to stay put and figure out your business from home and once you are financially ready can go see the world more. But some people just have to go and follow the need to travel, Im one of them, very hard for me to stay in one place, was a miracle in Seattle for almost five years, before it was two years per place and move. I wont deny one reason I finally found success was because I pounded the same turf for 5 years, very important to understand the area one lives in for progress due to long term relationships and understanding the systems of the land.

juresesko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 10, 2020
Slovenia
I moved back to the US in 2014 after being abroad for 7 years and drifted for a year as couldnt reestablish myself where my family is from as its a very small town. So I just decided to go to a state that had amazing opportunity (Washington). It worked well, but its a hard state to live in due to cost, weather, and social difficulties.

Maybe better to stay put and figure out your business from home and once you are financially ready can go see the world more. But some people just have to go and follow the need to travel, Im one of them, very hard for me to stay in one place, was a miracle in Seattle for almost five years, before it was two years per place and move. I wont deny one reason I finally found success was because I pounded the same turf for 5 years, very important to understand the area one lives in for progress due to long term relationships and understanding the systems of the land.
Yes I know how hard and different it is when you move somewhere. You take information for granted.

Summer of 2019 I went to live in St.Moritz for 2 months for work. If I don't think about 15 hour workdays it was one of my favorite places I visited.
And one of my goals is to be able to own a few houses/apartments there to rent them out.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
Yes I know how hard and different it is when you move somewhere. You take information for granted.

Summer of 2019 I went to live in St.Moritz for 2 months for work. If I don't think about 15 hour workdays it was one of my favorite places I visited.
And one of my goals is to be able to own a few houses/apartments there to rent them out.

Absolutely. Luckily it can be beneficial too, depending where. I started my first business in Colombia and it helped as I used gringo power to leverage media coverage, but since my Spanish was spotty at the time it created a lot of issues with information.

I goggled both St. Moritz and Slovenia and looks gorgeous. That is a great goal to have. How much would a entry level house go for in St. Moritz and Slovenia?

juresesko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 10, 2020
Slovenia
Absolutely. Luckily it can be beneficial too, depending where. I started my first business in Colombia and it helped as I used gringo power to leverage media coverage, but since my Spanish was spotty at the time it created a lot of issues with information.

I goggled both St. Moritz and Slovenia and looks gorgeous. That is a great goal to have. How much would a entry level house go for in St. Moritz and Slovenia?
Hmm.

For Slovenia I would say around 100k for completely new and modern type of a home that is close to the city. But like a 10 min drive out mayor city you can find houses for lower than 50k that don't need much work.

In St. Moritz it is much much more expensive. This is a place where rich people go skiing and biking so most of the houses are luxury and can cost 400k but if you would look good I'm sure you can find a good deal.

Sorry for a late reply I probably looked over the notification.

Have a great day.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
Hmm.

For Slovenia I would say around 100k for completely new and modern type of a home that is close to the city. But like a 10 min drive out mayor city you can find houses for lower than 50k that don't need much work.

In St. Moritz it is much much more expensive. This is a place where rich people go skiing and biking so most of the houses are luxury and can cost 400k but if you would look good I'm sure you can find a good deal.

Sorry for a late reply I probably looked over the notification.

Have a great day.

That is amazing, in my city which is like 15 mins outside of Portland would be around 350k for entry level, and 600k for modern, inside Portland way worse.

If you ever want to PM to talk about your business journey hit me up.

Have a great day too!

D

Deleted78083

Read the book Venture Deals: Be Smarter Than Your Lawyer And Venture Capitalist.

Also I would advise to stay in Europe. While the VC landscape may not be as developed as in the US, the competition is also nowhere near what it is in the US.

If you behave like an American in Europe, you ought to win easily than if you behave like an American in America (or a European in America).

Check out Barcelona, Paris, Berlin, London and Amsterdam for VC money. Maybe you'll find some in Scandinavia as well, but that I do not know.

Knugs

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jan 10, 2016

And i suggest that b/c:

Good luck!
thats not how it works in the real world. Europes strong social system makes investing/collecting funding and starting a company far easier than in the US. VCs and angel investors are also pretty uptodate. Its not a numbers game, its a networking-game. He can travel on an ESTA or B1 for 6 months and make deals.

Before Series A comes Seed, Pre-Seed and other funding options such as grants and scholarship. You need to get this Series A - funding nonsense out of your head and look at all options.
__
I dont know about the others but in my experience a pitch deck is >>>>> than a business plan. At the end of the day you are going to pitch your startup and they will want to see some proof of concept, traction, financial planning and MVP. Nobody, with the exception of the government, has asked me for a business plan.
__
There are some pre-seed VCs (such as mine), tons of seed VCs and some bigger Series VCs. Angel investors are better for pre-seed deals but I would always exhaust all other funding options first. To be honest you can do a lot without funding too.
__
The US and the US-Visas are a pain in the arse and extremely expensive. From my own research the best is to establish a business in Europe and then invest "a considerable amount of money" (usually 100k) into the US-branch, which creates a few US-jobs. Then you qualify for the E2 Visa (startup visa). And then there are other larger pain-points that makes life more difficult. Anyway, if you cant get funding in Europe, you cant get funding in the US.
__

juresesko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 10, 2020
Slovenia
That is amazing, in my city which is like 15 mins outside of Portland would be around 350k for entry level, and 600k for modern, inside Portland way worse.

If you ever want to PM to talk about your business journey hit me up.

Have a great day too!
I've checked where Portland is and I can say that the location tells a lot. I love forests and hills where you go mountain biking.

Yes sure thanks for doing that!

juresesko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 10, 2020
Slovenia
Read the book Venture Deals: Be Smarter Than Your Lawyer And Venture Capitalist.

Also I would advise to stay in Europe. While the VC landscape may not be as developed as in the US, the competition is also nowhere near what it is in the US.

If you behave like an American in Europe, you ought to win easily than if you behave like an American in America (or a European in America).

Check out Barcelona, Paris, Berlin, London and Amsterdam for VC money. Maybe you'll find some in Scandinavia as well, but that I do not know.
Thanks I will check out the book!
There is no rush for me to go to America but I will go there in near future.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.