The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do you really need a job contract for basic purchases?

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
So I live in Spain with my family. And even though I make decent money, they advise me to get a job. Not for the money, but presumably because it prevents lots of legal complications. I don't know how laws have changed this year but apparently:
- You "need" a job contract to rent a place (I have never rented before)
- Banks can freeze your account if you can't justify your deposits (most of mine come from Paypal tax-free)

Maybe in US or your country there's similar limitations. I have researched a bit and barely found any evidence about the above. Just for second opinion, to be sure, I'm asking you guys to know to what degree these limitations are real.

They didn't say that you must have a job contract, but that it's hard without it.

Have you had situations where you found this obstacle?

P.S. Not looking for jobs, I only freelance

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

James njihia

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jan 14, 2021
So I live in Spain with my family. And even though I make decent money, they advise me to get a job. Not for the money, but presumably because it prevents lots of legal complications. I don't know how laws have changed this year but apparently:
- Banks can freeze your account if you can't justify your deposits (most of mine come from Paypal tax-free)

Maybe in US or your country there's similar limitations. I have researched a bit and barely found any evidence about the above. Just for second opinion, to be sure, I'm asking you guys to know to what degree these limitations are real.

They didn't say that you must have a job contract, but that it's hard without it.

I recently wanted to apply for a credit card , this Kenya bank can't risk lendings to unemploymed individual even if you have you own business

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas

It's not so much as working for someone is proving to them that you have the means to pay. The most common way to prove that you can pay the bank or rent is through a job. Which you already have if you freelance.

I don't know how it is in Spain but here in the US there's no such thing as tax free money through PayPal. Every source of income is taxable. When you don't work for someone else your taxes are proof of your income.

You can get a loan and an apartment as long as you provide proof of income. Self employed individuals need to provide up to three years of tax returns as proof of income. Where most freelancers fail is that they under report their income so as not to pay taxes. But when they try to get a loan or an apartment on paper their income is too low even if they have the means to pay they wouldn't get the loan or apartment because on paper they don't make enough money. That's why you have to be honest when doing your taxes if you plan to grow your credit.

Last edited:

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
It's not so much as working for someone is proving to them that you have the means to pay. The most common way to prove that you can pay the bank or rent is through a job. Which you already have if you freelance.

I don't know how it is in Spain but here in the US there's no such thing as tax free money through PayPal. Every source of income is taxable. When you don't work for someone else your taxes are proof of your income.

You can get a loan and an apartment as long as you provide proof of income. Self employed individuals need to provide up to three years of tax returns as proof of income. Where most freelancers fail is that they under report their income so as not to pay taxes. But when they try to get a loan or an apartment on paper their income is too low even if they have the means to pay they wouldn't get the loan or apartment because on paper they don't make enough money. That's why you have to be honest when doing your taxes if you plan to grow your credit.
If I don't do taxes, I guess that leads to trouble XD. Even though I live in Spain, all my freelancing money comes from US platforms and US tax regulations.

Had I stayed on Upwork, I might have been paying taxes already. But we moved from all platforms to work independently. It's just a paypal transfer with no contract, no nothing.

Ig the state thinks I'm broke or jobless

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
just start a company or startup and bill as a business.
or send the client your invoice so you don't get into legal trouble. there is probably a category named self-employed(it is in India).

consult a tax advisor(lucky me he is my neighbor so I get free tax advice), just hire them for an hour for their consultation.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.