The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How many searches per month indicates a good keyword?

njsinko

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Oct 28, 2015
I don't think the volume of the keyword directly indicates viability of a business idea as much as people think. What would be a better metric is just how engaged or willing to purchase those searches actually are.

Think about Lamborghini as a search keyword. Probably has a ton of volume, but how many of those people are actually going to buy one?

For example: if you have a niche with 50,000 monthly search volume, but most of them are just somewhat interested and aren't actually willing to purchase anything, it could look like a good niche without actually being one.

Alternatively, if you have a small search volume (say 500-1000) monthly searches in a very specific niche, but those people are much more willing to actually buy something, that could often be a better keyword to pursue.

Too little search volume can be problematic, but too high search volume can also be even more problematic. ie: a lot of competition, and harder to rank as a new website.

Search volume is only one metric, but a better metric would be finding those people in places they hang out online, and trying to get them to buy something before it exists. I have written about this before

As far as I can tell, it is often better to look for a smaller, laser focused keyword and zero in on that.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I use the Keyword Planner to get an idea of how people search and then load campaigns, count impressions, and divide by impression share. I don’t believe their estimated volumes, and total monthly volumes are only a small part of the picture.

Check out the “How to get profitable or fail fast with AdWords” thread.

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
Depends on how "hot" the keyword is.

"Where to get free therapy" @ 1,000,000 month -> worthless
"therapy" @ 1,000,000 month -> worthless

"Where to find good therapist near [area]" @ 1000 -> hot
This is someone ready to open their wallet if they can find a nearby therapist who they are convinced is "good".

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Depends on how "hot" the keyword is.

"Where to get free therapy" @ 1,000,000 month -> worthless
"therapy" @ 1,000,000 month -> worthless

"Where to find good therapist near [area]" @ 1000 -> hot
This is someone ready to open their wallet if they can find a nearby therapist who they are convinced is "good".
^^^ This.

I'd argue:
"Where to find good therapist near [area]" @ 10 -> hot

^^^ That's a very precise exact match keyword (aka search term).

How many other search terms will be matched by modified broad match keyword: +therapist +mytown ?

What about other locations you cover?

And other ways people look for a therapist by location?

Use the keyword planner to get an indication of how people search, then load campaigns and get real market data.

Fightrepreneur

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
May 5, 2018
I don't think the volume of the keyword directly indicates viability of a business idea as much as people think. What would be a better metric is just how engaged or willing to purchase those searches actually are.

Think about Lamborghini as a search keyword. Probably has a ton of volume, but how many of those people are actually going to buy one?

For example: if you have a niche with 50,000 monthly search volume, but most of them are just somewhat interested and aren't actually willing to purchase anything, it could look like a good niche without actually being one.

Alternatively, if you have a small search volume (say 500-1000) monthly searches in a very specific niche, but those people are much more willing to actually buy something, that could often be a better keyword to pursue.

Too little search volume can be problematic, but too high search volume can also be even more problematic. ie: a lot of competition, and harder to rank as a new website.

Search volume is only one metric, but a better metric would be finding those people in places they hang out online, and trying to get them to buy something before it exists. I have written about this before

As far as I can tell, it is often better to look for a smaller, laser focused keyword and zero in on that.

Good insights, makes sense.

Yeah I read your thread on market research, very helpful.

I'm looking into the mental health niche. I've been relatively successful in overcoming bipolar disorder (have down a job for years, paid my own way + savings and some windfalls in investment, decently successful with women over the years and ultimately found myself the perfect partner + got married) maybe not the fastlane success (yet ) many on this forum hope for, but definitely doing well for my demographic (massive suicide/hospitalization rate, many unable to hold a job, find love, etc etc).

I was thinking of providing some kind of mentorship for young men going through what I've went through. Starting out with free content, perhaps even local meetups. Its being done in other states, and theres articles about people being paid for such things who are not licensed therapists etc.

Problem is, many Facebook support groups will swallow you alive if theres any inkling of self promotion, even entirely free content. Same with forums, etc. Of course many of these forums have blanketed ads for anti depressants, etc.

There are tons of ads for expensive programs to specifically treat bipolar disorder when you google "bipolar help." Personally I've met more useless mental health providers than not, so I'm ever the skeptic of a "30 day bipolar program to fix you" type shit.

Anyways... super tangent, probably should make a progress thread about it down the line, but it was just a niche I was looking in to.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.