The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How I got to 169,000 Instagram followers

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I haven't dropped a new thread in a while and wanted to give back on something...
So here is how I have grown on IG over the last year.

Screenshot 2023-08-27 at 18.55.35.png

This will be for normal style content you can build an "expert" following with. So, not random flexing content - but instead something you can get paying customers from.

1- Pick a niche and get focused.

You will want a dedicated page that focuses on one core subject matter. You don't want to be combining personal stuff or trying to reach a bunch of different people at once. Instead, you want to be the person for one type of user who is looking for a certain style of content.

The more focused you are (as long as there is demand), the faster you will grow.

This is because your page will be a clear source of specific information. And also, your total watch time will be much higher than a normal page with more varied (random) content.

2- Pick your core topics.

If you are stuck, go to some other similar expert pages and see what posts and reels are outliers for them. Look at their baseline views - and then spot the top 10% of content that hits a way higher level. What were they talking about, and why did people respond to this the most?

Look at the content, listen/read carefully to what was covered, look at the comments, etc. - see what your ideal audience is into.

You will want to find around 10-15 of these topics. These are your "hot button" topics that you will only make content on. This means your page has a high chance of growing - just keep hitting these topics from different angles.

(Ignore obvious one-off things like a certain event in time that is now gone by- you want the timeless classic topics, then you can always connect it to something recent if it makes sense. This is about finding what people react to the most as a concept.)

3- Figure out your template.

Your template is the 1-3 ways (max) you represent your content. You will want a format that is proven to go viral AND that you feel you can do a good job at creating yourself. Again, see what other experts have done and look for a style proven to work over and over.

This is the "box" you will be dropping your own content into - so you want a winning way to present yourself.

As an example, I went with a back-and-forth style of conversation between an amateur and a pro. One guy says something, the other guy says something back - and so on. I thought this was a good format for sales, and it has been proven to work for a few top creators.

If possible, try to find something unique. Like, a LOT of guys go with the podcast-style setup or talking directly at the camera like Hormozi. The more clichéd your template, the harder to stand out. So, you want something proven to work... but that not everyone is using either!

4- Study your template.
Look into the exact examples that went viral before:
  • How many words did they say total?
  • How long was the reel?
  • What was the hook?
  • How did they end it?
  • How many cuts in the edits?
  • How were the captions?
  • What was the lighting and camera setup like?
You want to dial in anything possible to increase your chances of success. I literally studied what color would look best on my background wall (then I painted it), along with what color tops would look best on me on camera.

Also, dial in your lighting, sound, tone, hand gestures, etc. If you can improve 20 things by 20-50%, you give yourself a MASSIVE chance of success. Keep looking at every small thing and trying to make it better.

5- Make your hook.

Okay, you now have a really good base to make content. So, you next want actual ideas.

Start with your core topics above and then try to think of what people will react to the most.

This is way better than just trying to teach something up front - because there is no emotion, and no one cares yet. You need to start with something that people will respond to HEAVILY, and then you follow up with the actual "meat."

How you actually do this does depend on your content template, but just study the best relevant people and their most viral reels. What did they show/say/tell/write in the first 5 seconds? Study that and learn how to make strong hooks and get people to keep watching.

So, let's say for me the topic is "sales"... so how about a scenario where a client is close to paying you $10,000, but then they change their mind? ...And then we follow that up with some lesson around why that might have happened. This would get people interested and emotional off the bat.

So, since I do a conversation style reel, I might start off with...

"Hey man, I was about to close this $10,000 deal... and now the clients saying they changed their minds... they don't want to go ahead!"

^This would get my target audience interested: Why did this happen? What could have been done differently? Ahhhh, I hate clients who do this too!!!

6- Second hook (advanced).
I have learned that it pays to hook twice. So, I usually work in another layer of a hook right away also.

Again, this will really depend on your format, but it does pay to make sure people are invested emotionally before you move into any kind of teaching or lesson payoff.

With my example...

First hook: "Hey man, I was about to close this $10,000 deal... and now the clients saying they changed their minds... they don't want to go ahead!"

Response: "Did you ask them why not?"

Second hook: "I asked if it was about price, that I could do it cheaper - but they still didn't seem to care!"

...this works well because now people are getting really invested in what comes next (and hopefully a bit emotional also). We have a juicy potential deal, a client issue, a potential price problem, and a confusing scenario - all within a few second.

Compare this to a reel that just starts off with "Here are 5 things you need to know about pricing a deal..."

It is okay... but it is kinda boring. You want dramatic hooks and emotional concepts.

7- Actual content (the payoff).

Next, you want your lesson, or advice, or story, or insight, etc.

Keep it sharp, make it sound good, and make people want to save and share it with others as much as possible.

If you use some kind of template, or system, or "5 steps", then this also increases the chance that people save it. Which isn't always possible (depends on the content), but it really boosts the algo if you can do it.

What has worked well for me is email/conversation templates and processes to get X result.

8- End the reel fast.

Don't delay the point - say your advice and then end it asap. You want 100% watch time... so don't do some outro or double explanation.

This can be hard to do because you probably want to cover subtle points or give more context when you teach. DON'T!

Just say a strong point and then leave it at that. Yes... some people will tell you that you missed X, Y, and Z points. But whatever - this isn't an hour-long podcast; it is short-form content. You don't have time to cover every scenario. You want emotions + one strong lesson.

9- Engagement boosts.

Hashtags, etc., don't do much (or anything). What matters is comments, shares, saves, and watch time. Make content that gets people engaging and reacting emotionally. Don't try to game the algo - try to learn to get a strong human response. The algo changes; people stay the same.

10- Be consistent

Instagram doesn't want to promote people too early. They would end up with pages with lots of followers, but the creator never came back. So, they wait to see who will stick around, and then, once they feel confident you will, they boost you massively.

So, be super consistent at the start. Make one piece of content a day for at least 100 days in a row. Every day.

This is another way to be improving your odds of success and playing to win. All things being equal, the page that uploads every day will be the one IG picks to share and promote. It is just better for them.

11- Improve 1% every day

Go back over your content every time and look for all the little ways to make it just a tiny bit better. It will add up over time, and it gives you a massive competitive edge. I see a LOT of people with good content ideas but with bad sound, lighting, or who are dressed terribly, etc.

Dial in what you can control and keep in mind your content is only like 50%. How you present yourself and your production matters a lot.

Also, there are other small hacks to get a new page growing at the start, but I will cover them in a follow-up post.

Hope that helps for now.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
Thanks, Fox; I am building a TikTok page for my product. The most significant points I need to take away.

- No gaming the system. Post, get engagement, review, change, repeat.
- Consistency is critical.
- Get in a hook or two to get the audience intrigued.
- Ask what one per cent improvements you can make.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
Thank you for this fox, im getting my social media accounts ready so I can start advertising.

These tips will help, I already know what I’m going to do because of this.

Thank you man!

Edgar King

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 29, 2021
Thanks for these amazing pointers Fox! Guys don't underestimate hooks -

I've had a TikTok account for a couple months now and most of my normal talking head videos got about 20 likes. Upon drilling down on making the videos a little better at getting attention (hook), engagement 10X'ed - it's not much, but a 1% improvement here and there can be the difference between being lost at sea or arriving at the docks.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Awesome share of your wisdom, thank you for guide. Upgraded to GOLD.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Awesome share of your wisdom, thank you for guide. Upgraded to GOLD.

Thank you - Ill add in some updates over time.

Hoping to get this to 250-300k next year.

ErickMendez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jun 14, 2023
Thanks for sharing! although I don’t create content on IG, This was still helpful either way.

I find my niche kind of werid, I see very poor quality videos get a ton of views. While high quality videos just don’t get the attention they deserve. Maybe its because of the overall idea? idk.

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
Yes... some people will tell you that you missed X, Y, and Z points.
What matters is comments, shares, saves, and watch time.
People telling you that you missed X, Y, and Z points is a feature, not a bug! That's engagement, and those are comments -- which is exactly what you want in the first place.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I haven't dropped a new thread in a while and wanted to give back on something...
So here is how I have grown on IG over the last year.

View attachment 51009

This will be for normal style content you can build an "expert" following with. So, not random flexing content - but instead something you can get paying customers from.

1- Pick a niche and get focused.

You will want a dedicated page that focuses on one core subject matter. You don't want to be combining personal stuff or trying to reach a bunch of different people at once. Instead, you want to be the person for one type of user who is looking for a certain style of content.

The more focused you are (as long as there is demand), the faster you will grow.

This is because your page will be a clear source of specific information. And also, your total watch time will be much higher than a normal page with more varied (random) content.

2- Pick your core topics.

If you are stuck, go to some other similar expert pages and see what posts and reels are outliers for them. Look at their baseline views - and then spot the top 10% of content that hits a way higher level. What were they talking about, and why did people respond to this the most?

Look at the content, listen/read carefully to what was covered, look at the comments, etc. - see what your ideal audience is into.

You will want to find around 10-15 of these topics. These are your "hot button" topics that you will only make content on. This means your page has a high chance of growing - just keep hitting these topics from different angles.

(Ignore obvious one-off things like a certain event in time that is now gone by- you want the timeless classic topics, then you can always connect it to something recent if it makes sense. This is about finding what people react to the most as a concept.)

3- Figure out your template.

Your template is the 1-3 ways (max) you represent your content. You will want a format that is proven to go viral AND that you feel you can do a good job at creating yourself. Again, see what other experts have done and look for a style proven to work over and over.

This is the "box" you will be dropping your own content into - so you want a winning way to present yourself.

As an example, I went with a back-and-forth style of conversation between an amateur and a pro. One guy says something, the other guy says something back - and so on. I thought this was a good format for sales, and it has been proven to work for a few top creators.

If possible, try to find something unique. Like, a LOT of guys go with the podcast-style setup or talking directly at the camera like Hormozi. The more clichéd your template, the harder to stand out. So, you want something proven to work... but that not everyone is using either!

4- Study your template.
Look into the exact examples that went viral before:
  • How many words did they say total?
  • How long was the reel?
  • What was the hook?
  • How did they end it?
  • How many cuts in the edits?
  • How were the captions?
  • What was the lighting and camera setup like?
You want to dial in anything possible to increase your chances of success. I literally studied what color would look best on my background wall (then I painted it), along with what color tops would look best on me on camera.

Also, dial in your lighting, sound, tone, hand gestures, etc. If you can improve 20 things by 20-50%, you give yourself a MASSIVE chance of success. Keep looking at every small thing and trying to make it better.

5- Make your hook.

Okay, you now have a really good base to make content. So, you next want actual ideas.

Start with your core topics above and then try to think of what people will react to the most.

This is way better than just trying to teach something up front - because there is no emotion, and no one cares yet. You need to start with something that people will respond to HEAVILY, and then you follow up with the actual "meat."

How you actually do this does depend on your content template, but just study the best relevant people and their most viral reels. What did they show/say/tell/write in the first 5 seconds? Study that and learn how to make strong hooks and get people to keep watching.

So, let's say for me the topic is "sales"... so how about a scenario where a client is close to paying you $10,000, but then they change their mind? ...And then we follow that up with some lesson around why that might have happened. This would get people interested and emotional off the bat.

So, since I do a conversation style reel, I might start off with...

"Hey man, I was about to close this $10,000 deal... and now the clients saying they changed their minds... they don't want to go ahead!"

^This would get my target audience interested: Why did this happen? What could have been done differently? Ahhhh, I hate clients who do this too!!!

6- Second hook (advanced).
I have learned that it pays to hook twice. So, I usually work in another layer of a hook right away also.

Again, this will really depend on your format, but it does pay to make sure people are invested emotionally before you move into any kind of teaching or lesson payoff.

With my example...

First hook: "Hey man, I was about to close this $10,000 deal... and now the clients saying they changed their minds... they don't want to go ahead!"

Response: "Did you ask them why not?"

Second hook: "I asked if it was about price, that I could do it cheaper - but they still didn't seem to care!"

...this works well because now people are getting really invested in what comes next (and hopefully a bit emotional also). We have a juicy potential deal, a client issue, a potential price problem, and a confusing scenario - all within a few second.

Compare this to a reel that just starts off with "Here are 5 things you need to know about pricing a deal..."

It is okay... but it is kinda boring. You want dramatic hooks and emotional concepts.

7- Actual content (the payoff).

Next, you want your lesson, or advice, or story, or insight, etc.

Keep it sharp, make it sound good, and make people want to save and share it with others as much as possible.

If you use some kind of template, or system, or "5 steps", then this also increases the chance that people save it. Which isn't always possible (depends on the content), but it really boosts the algo if you can do it.

What has worked well for me is email/conversation templates and processes to get X result.

8- End the reel fast.

Don't delay the point - say your advice and then end it asap. You want 100% watch time... so don't do some outro or double explanation.

This can be hard to do because you probably want to cover subtle points or give more context when you teach. DON'T!

Just say a strong point and then leave it at that. Yes... some people will tell you that you missed X, Y, and Z points. But whatever - this isn't an hour-long podcast; it is short-form content. You don't have time to cover every scenario. You want emotions + one strong lesson.

9- Engagement boosts.

Hashtags, etc., don't do much (or anything). What matters is comments, shares, saves, and watch time. Make content that gets people engaging and reacting emotionally. Don't try to game the algo - try to learn to get a strong human response. The algo changes; people stay the same.

10- Be consistent

Instagram doesn't want to promote people too early. They would end up with pages with lots of followers, but the creator never came back. So, they wait to see who will stick around, and then, once they feel confident you will, they boost you massively.

So, be super consistent at the start. Make one piece of content a day for at least 100 days in a row. Every day.

This is another way to be improving your odds of success and playing to win. All things being equal, the page that uploads every day will be the one IG picks to share and promote. It is just better for them.

11- Improve 1% every day

Go back over your content every time and look for all the little ways to make it just a tiny bit better. It will add up over time, and it gives you a massive competitive edge. I see a LOT of people with good content ideas but with bad sound, lighting, or who are dressed terribly, etc.

Dial in what you can control and keep in mind your content is only like 50%. How you present yourself and your production matters a lot.

Also, there are other small hacks to get a new page growing at the start, but I will cover them in a follow-up post.

Hope that helps for now.
What a fantastic write-up and resource. Thanks for sharing Rob,and well done on your growth. Even if Instagram shutdown your account overnight you have the content library that can repeat the growth. No-one can take away your skills and knowledge either.

I love short-form video. They force us to learn about hooks and keeping people watching. They're also easier to pump out daily. I encourage everyone to consider creating short form video.

Are you still doing all the production and editing yourself? I personally find doing the editing helps me identify where I'm not doing a great job with the scripting and delivery. Some of the tools make it quite simple for non video editors to create decent videos.

Are you posting those videos to other platforms, and if not do you plan to? @MJ DeMarco shared an article this week about Twitter pushing video at the moment. I'm sure tour content would help people on Twitter, YouTube, and even LinkedIn.

extraordwealth

Banned for Backlinking
Read Fastlane!
Apr 12, 2014
To build my business's Instagram following, I took a niche-focused approach, providing content tailored to my audience's interests.
Researching successful accounts in my niche helped me identify popular topics.
Developing a unique content template and ensuring high production quality were crucial. Engaging hooks in the first few seconds of my content and a second hook kept viewers interested. User engagement, not just hashtags, was vital for visibility. [REMOVED]

Last edited by a moderator:

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
405%
Apr 16, 2019
Amazing progress Rob. A beginner might notice your rise in fame thinking it's an overnight success but they'd be sorely mistaken. It's amazing to see all of your efforts over the past few years culminate into a banger success with IG reels.

If it's alright to ask: how has your access to this level of reach changed your sales volumes?

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Oct 16, 2022
This is a great post.

I want to highlight what Fox said: it's insanely important to figure out what your audience wants to know/see/hear/consume.

Cathy790

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 13, 2024
Thank you so much for sharing this info, It seems to be gold for IG users. Wants to hear more from you.

DonyaSze

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jan 17, 2024
Ooh dang! No wonder I’ve been having troubles promoting. My account is not new anymore, and I haven’t been posting in it every day, and my reach isn’t very big. Is there hope that I can bring it to life like this? Or does ‘post every day + make quality’ only help new accounts? Or can I get away with growing the same account using your techniques?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.