The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do you tell an online store is making money?

mosaster

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Jul 18, 2017
Krakow
Hello fellow entrepreneurs,
I'm evaluating opportunity of a new store. My business will be running both as online store and presented IRL at a shopping mall. I am absolutely confident of my future business selling points, but need to evaluate efficient strategy online.
Now I am proofing online showcase of potential competitors.
There are some good ideas implemented here and there at competitors' online stores, however the idea is generally pretty new for e-commerce.
I was wondering how do I tell whether their web-store is efficient an generating profit?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
You can make general assumptions, but it won't matter much.

Can you sell your product without and online store? If so, at the point you are, starting a shopify store or something similar is going to be far more efficient than the time you are wasting trying to figure out your competitors.

Worry about selling your product, not what everyone else is doing. Your business will have different needs that you will solve as you get down the road.

Kybalion

Renegade Master
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Oct 5, 2018
Look at their traffic through some online traffic checking site. + Try to find out if they are running any ads.

These indicators won't give You concrete evidence of their business success, but they can be used to make general assumptions.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Buy one from them and see there process, response, and customer service.
Then crush them in their weaknesses.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Back to your question ....... @mosaster

So if they were massively profitable, what would that mean to you?

If they were losing money, what would that mean to you?

If they were breaking even, what would that mean to you?

mosaster

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Jul 18, 2017
Krakow
Look at their traffic through some online traffic checking site. + Try to find out if they are running any ads.

These indicators won't give You concrete evidence of their business success, but they can be used to make general assumptions.
Thanks for this advice, looks right what I need. Need a general idea whether they have substantial traffic or hold the store hoping it will generate sales. That's what I'm looking for.

mosaster

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Jul 18, 2017
Krakow
Back to your question ....... @mosaster

So if they were massively profitable, what would that mean to you?

If they were losing money, what would that mean to you?

If they were breaking even, what would that mean to you?
Hi,
Knowing that gives me an idea what I make of my own web-site:
1) profitable. . . I make an online store, but better one to make even more money : )
2) losing money, breaking even . . . If I observe errors then I make my own webstore, but, again, a better one : ) then if my fix does not work or they have no traffic with a good site than I might consider other options of driving customers.
No rocket science, just executing :-D

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Buy one from them and see there process, response, and customer service.

Yes, and check out your order number!

Some of them also use a sequential order system.

If they've been in business 2 years and your order is #1941, you can assume they had 1941 orders or 941 orders (you can start at 1000).

If it's a higher number, say 101941 and it's not likely they've sold over 100,000 units, you can also assume it's probably 1941.

Of if it is 19-2303, then you can guess it means 2019, order #2303.

mosaster

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Jul 18, 2017
Krakow

If they've been in business 2 years and your order is #1941, you can assume they had 1941 orders or 941 orders (you can start at 1000).

If it's a higher number, say 101941 and it's not likely they've sold over 100,000 units, you can also assume it's probably 1941.

Although not accurate, absolutely simple method I haven't thought of! Thank you! Since anyway I was going to check some of their own products, will try it first of all here and with other stores just out of curiousity :-D
I guess my question has been answered :)

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Hi,
Knowing that gives me an idea what I make of my own web-site:
1) profitable. . . I make an online store, but better one to make even more money : )
2) losing money, breaking even . . . If I observe errors then I make my own webstore, but, again, a better one : ) then if my fix does not work or they have no traffic with a good site than I might consider other options of driving customers.
No rocket science, just executing :-D
as long as you are doing it for information to beat them. it initially sounded like you were doing it for money chasing.

first one, good. second one, revisit your path.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

I was going to say the same thing.

When I was starting my web design business I guessed people would think this way and used it to my advantage...

Website #3 in 2017 would be like invoice number 170034 haha.

It can work sometimes - you can place a small order one month and then one more a month later. See how many units were sold in X amount of time.

But as others have said this won’t help you as much as it seems. Looking at external stats never gives you much of a full picture.

Danczyk

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Feb 20, 2019
Belarus
All great answers. I can add another tip here for you.

As someone mentioned here you could go to similarweb website but pay for a month. It's 40 bucks or something. It's harder to get organic traffic to online stores than authority websites so generally ads are the way to go.
On similarweb not only you see the traffic, there is also a section where you can see the ads and for how long they run it. If the same ad is running for a long time it means it's profitable. You can also find their ads on FB only by going to their FB page and looking at the menu and find their ads there. Very easy stuff.

Good luck.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
And you can also buy something today and buy something else in a week and see how much the order number has jumped.

Alex19

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
May 5, 2019
Hungary
If they have atleast a decent amount of visitors, then Similarweb.com - Digital World Market Intelligence Platform might help.

Yes, similarweb is a good starting point. You can check the average conversation rate in your industry. Most online stores have 2-3% conversation rate. It means, that 2-3 people buy from 100 visitors.

If the store has 100.000 visitors per month, then they have 2000-3000 customers per month.

Now, you need to know the average order value. Check the best selling items in the store. Which offer products do they promote most of the time?

Let say, that the most popular product costs 25 USD+ 5USD shipping cost =30 USD shipping so the monthly revenue is around 30 USD * 3000 visitors = 90 000 USD per month.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.