The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

HOW DO I SERIOUSLY GIVE UP GAMING

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
Easy tricks from former gaming addict that WORKS
  • Find more important and/or interesting ways to spend your time. Like 8 hours for the last 2 months on your 9-5 and 10 more hours on your new company + 1 hour in traffic. Did the trick for me 8 years ago. Zombies can't play.
  • Cheat. Games are designed on reward loops and cheating breaks that loops so game is no longer interesting. Don't cheat in online games. It can actually be more fun. lol.
  • Delete your account in online games. Just do it. You probably won't start playing again from scratch.
  • Get rid of games on your pc/phone/whatever. Get rid of specific gaming devices like consoles. Just in case of itch.
  • Understand that games are designed to be addictive. Like cigarettes. Don't start again. Value your time and your life.
I used to play games a lot in high school and university. And smoke a lot, but that's another story...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DannyD

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Dec 1, 2017
Latin America
You need to eliminate the root completely. In other words, you have to get rid of any possibility that you will be able to play games.

My background:
Addicted to computer games from ~middle school to end of high school. EASILY put in 10,000 hours (aka 1+ year of my life spent in front of a PC). While my grades and relationships suffered, I had a lot of fun. The main regret I have is listening to my parents and not going to offline tournaments and potentially going pro.

If you have a desktop, you either need to get rid of it and get something that can't play games (e.g. a laptop that doesn't have a sick graphics card) or take out the graphics card and replace it with some cheap shit or use the onboard one.

If the games aren't graphic-intensive, you need to make a different user account on your PC or something with limited privileges (can't install anything) and then tell someone like your parents, etc. to make an admin user account password and never tell you what it is.

If you have a console, sell it.

Obviously I can't go into every possible scenario but you need to either make the playing of games impossible (e.g. the examples above) or make it so difficult that you wouldn't bother.

For example, I would still play games given the chance but I'm currently living in a foreign country (electronics are probably 2x or 3x the price and I'm not gonna be here forever) and on a basic laptop - not going to play games on this considering it is not designed for that and I like FPS games. (It also helps to have a serious goal - an "F this moment" might help).

shubham525

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 16, 2015
India
As everyone pointed out and the though immediately came to my mind.

If you enjoy gaming you need to get a good webcam and recording software (obs , xsplit gamecaster) record all gameplays and post on youtube.

Live stream on Twitch , do live stream.

Post game reviews , try gaming consoles.

Best , if your into Pc gaming. Review and test graphic cards , gaming keyboards , gaming mouse etc etc.

Opportunities are unlimited.

Which games do you play ?

If you play esports like league of legends type then even better.

shubham525

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 16, 2015
India
Thank you all so much. I've deleted all of them every last one. It would be safe to say my laptop is strictly work. :) I need to get a macbook so I don't have the computer to play anything. Also they're really useful. Thank you guys so much but this is what I needed in order to take that step. It feels like a step out of my childish self and into the new me.

Thanks again.

No , if you love them don't delete.

Leigh Farrell

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Nov 27, 2017
Adelaide, South Australia
Hi guys.. I have a real big problem. I can't do anything or finish anything unless I quit games. I know it's not a serious condition that I have, but it does get in the way with a lot of things that I do on my computer because I get way to distracted. I end up playing 1 game then another then another......again and again. It's really just frustrating at the end of it all. I realize I haven'y gotten anything done at all. And minutes of gaming have become hours and it's really depressing.

I'm not trying to limit myself to a few hours a week/day/month, but I'm trying to quit for good. I know there are those out there that play games and are successful, but I really just want to get gaming out of my life.

If you guys are wondering whether I have a gaming console or a pc, I have a pc. That's why it gets in the way so much because since I'm using my computer to play games, I can't seperate it and I end up gaming because I see it on my desktop.

I want to thank everyone and anyone who helps me overcome this. There are many things that I can do in my life and I don't want it to rot away because I simply couldn't resist my urge. Any ideas and tips would be super helpful.

Thank you again.
I was using Facebook too much and it used to waste heaps of my time. When i got serious about quitting, i deleted the app. Now i use it once every week or two for about 10 minutes on my browser.
If you have a console, ask a friend who lives 20 minutes drive or more away from you to store it.
If you use pc to play, delete the games, delete steam, and ask s friend to look after your games for you.
That way you can still play if you want to, but you make it more difficult for yourself.
Like mj says, the battle of the bulge isn't won in the kitchen, it's won in the store.

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Remember, as time passes that is a chunk of your life gone. You've probably wasted much of your life doing stuff that wasted time. Do you want to be old and not have accomplished anything? Is gaming more important than freedom? I've cut down big time on all my time-wasting activities. I have games too but have not touched them in like 2 years. I thought about selling it all. It's all replaceable. If I ever get the desire to play again I can always buy it again. But for now, I want to dedicate the next few years to gaining financial freedom. You need to lock in your goals and purpose in life. Don't waste your life on bullshit.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
I haven't gamed for almost 2 years once I started doing my thing. But probably because I started making money gaming (World of Warcraft botting), so gaming started to become less attractive (for enjoyment purposes).

Huh, that's an interesting solution. Kill the gaming addiction by monetizing it...

So on top of my kick as environment and everything I have in place, I wrote @JasonR a cheque (yes an actual cheque he can cash at any time) of $500 if I eat anything with sugar or sweets until a certain date, where I am allowed to treat myself. These cheques have gone from $20 and grown because i didn't care enough to lose $20 and would sometimes do it because i really just wanted to eat some chocolate.

Massive change takes extreme measures for a while. Don't let anyone convince you it will be easy shaking off the habit. Just know, if it's hard and you are really struggling, it's a good thing because you know you are pushing yourself to new limits.

That seems super effective!

When real success is more important to you than fantasy success, that's when you will quit. Until then, you're susceptible to action fakes.

Hmm the fantasy success is easy and feel good. Seems like a byproduct of instant gratification and being emotionally controlled.

Last edited:

oku

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Aug 20, 2019
You have an addiction that is eating away at a big part of your life. It started nibbling, then small bites, a few big ones, but you never minded, because they were small. And within a few years you were covered from head to toe in small bites.

I'm sure now you're in a better place. But if you aren't wouldn't it be nice to not feel so compelled to do this thing? To have freedom again? Not to spend hours and days, looking for that feeling that made you start in the first place?

Luckily for me I have a non-addictive personality so I don't know what that addiction even feels like.
Just kidding I used to smoke pot and drink, but I want to help you. You have to start with the question "Why?" for example,

"Why do I play video games?
1. Because they're fun.
Why are they fun?
2. Because X.
Why X?
3. Because X..."

Do this to #7.

With a strong enough why, anything is possible. Once you have your final "why," substitute. For you, I'd say solve labyrinths and mazes. FYI all addictions are formed around a childhood trauma. When reminded, the addiction grabs us, so you'll be fighting a demon or two along the way.

I promise if you do this, it doesn't mean you stop playing video games. That's the point, you have the choice. You may even find them stupid at times because now you literally have better things to do.

Try it now. 7 Whys

timza522

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jun 27, 2019
thailand
You have an addiction that is eating away at a big part of your life. It started nibbling, then small bites, a few big ones, but you never minded, because they were small. And within a few years you were covered from head to toe in small bites.

I'm sure now you're in a better place. But if you aren't wouldn't it be nice to not feel so compelled to do this thing? To have freedom again? Not to spend hours and days, looking for that feeling that made you start in the first place?

Luckily for me I have a non-addictive personality so I don't know what that addiction even feels like. Just kidding I used to smoke pot and drink, but I want to help you. You have to start with the question "Why?" for example,

"Why do I play video games?
1. Because they're fun.
Why are they fun?
2. Because X.
Why X?
3. Because X..."

Do this to #7.

With a strong enough why, anything is possible. Once you have your final "why," substitute. For you, I'd say solve labyrinths and mazes. FYI all addictions are formed around a childhood trauma. When reminded, the addiction grabs us, so you'll be fighting a demon or two along the way.

I promise if you do this, it doesn't mean you stop playing video games. That's the point, you have the choice. You may even find them stupid at times because now you literally have better things to do.

Try it now. 7 Whys

please dont try to backlink to your sale channel..
if u really dont mean it i am sorry. for me, i seems u always backlink to your site.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
This is extreme but...

TLDR: Parents spent time playing a game at a PC Bang(Computer Cafe) instead of taking care of their own daughter. Neglecting and abandoning her.

PC Bangs are popular in Korea. Starcraft, League of Legends and Maplestory are huge over there.

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
I quit games from 2012-2018. 7 year stint without a television or a game console. ME, being a guy who used to HALLUCINATE about video-gaming because I would play 16 hours a day, 7 days a week. I would literally hallucinate and dream that I was still playing. World of Warcraft. Halo. Call of Duty. Age of Empires. Dozens of days of play time logged. I think my Warcraft account had 70 days played between 8th grade and 11th grade.

Two important parts:

1. You don't "Quit" things - you do other things that become more important that fill your time other than gaming. If you're trying to quit, your focus is off. This is why stupid shit like AA usually never works - they focus on counting the amount of days you haven't drank a beer, and they tell you alcoholism or drug addiction is something you suffer with for the rest of your life - it is now your identity. No. It's just a habit, a pattern. It's filling basic emotional needs that are otherwise LACKING in your life - you do NOT fix the problem by removing it. You'll just end up worse off because now, instead of a sub-optimal (in your opinion) habit to fill your needs, you've got NOTHING to fill your needs.

2. I went back to gaming recently - Why? We all need some downtime, and I find there are a lot of benefits to game in my off-time - catching up with friends who live hours, sometimes countries away from me, I enjoy them to de-stress, they're fun and competitive, keep my brain working, help me build tactics, teamwork, brainpower etc. (I really only play Call of Duty, or a few casual games when friends come over).

I play in the evenings a few nights a week, and I *ONLY* play with friends online. If I don't have the social aspect to it, I don't play. And, I could quit tomorrow and sell my TV and console, but I've found my life to be a bit more harmonious and balanced by having that stuff in my life again - the TV for date nights and movie nights, the video games for friends to come over and hang out on an odd Friday night when we just want to get together and shoot the shit, or when I've got a spare hour or two and want to de-stress and catch up with high school or college friends.

Balance.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Your problem is a lack of clarity.

Are you happy when you’re playing video games?

Like...do you feel joy in your heart when you’re playing?

If so, keep playing as much as you want.

If not, then you’ll be so disgusted you’ll just turn it off.

Clarity.

There was an experiment where people were asked to be more mindful when smoking. Instead of being told to quit, they were asked to be mindful and ask how they felt when they smoked, describe how the cigarettes tasted and to notice every detail when they smoked.

Most of them quit because they realized it was gross, didn’t actually feel good, and they woke up to how silly it was.

Spend more time alone, thinking about your life and what you want from it. Get your goals straightened out and wake yourself up to your own mission.

You won’t even want to touch the video games.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I quit games from 2012-2018. 7 year stint without a television or a game console. ME, being a guy who used to HALLUCINATE about video-gaming because I would play 16 hours a day, 7 days a week. I would literally hallucinate and dream that I was still playing. World of Warcraft. Halo. Call of Duty. Age of Empires. Dozens of days of play time logged. I think my Warcraft account had 70 days played between 8th grade and 11th grade.

Two important parts:

1. You don't "Quit" things - you do other things that become more important that fill your time other than gaming. If you're trying to quit, your focus is off. This is why stupid shit like AA usually never works - they focus on counting the amount of days you haven't drank a beer, and they tell you alcoholism or drug addiction is something you suffer with for the rest of your life - it is now your identity. No. It's just a habit, a pattern. It's filling basic emotional needs that are otherwise LACKING in your life - you do NOT fix the problem by removing it. You'll just end up worse off because now, instead of a sub-optimal (in your opinion) habit to fill your needs, you've got NOTHING to fill your needs.

2. I went back to gaming recently - Why? We all need some downtime, and I find there are a lot of benefits to game in my off-time - catching up with friends who live hours, sometimes countries away from me, I enjoy them to de-stress, they're fun and competitive, keep my brain working, help me build tactics, teamwork, brainpower etc. (I really only play Call of Duty, or a few casual games when friends come over).

I play in the evenings a few nights a week, and I *ONLY* play with friends online. If I don't have the social aspect to it, I don't play. And, I could quit tomorrow and sell my TV and console, but I've found my life to be a bit more harmonious and balanced by having that stuff in my life again - the TV for date nights and movie nights, the video games for friends to come over and hang out on an odd Friday night when we just want to get together and shoot the shit, or when I've got a spare hour or two and want to de-stress and catch up with high school or college friends.

Balance.

Great post.

Erik Heyl

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 31, 2014
Separate your work area and fun area if possible. I have an office with a door I can close. My big TV and Xbox are two levels down. No games on my desktop. No issues. Been playing since 1987. But never let it control me.

Last edited:

ChewingCandy

Bronze Action Faker
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 18, 2019
I was just about to sell my GPU to my colleague, and I saw the news about WoW Classic, DAMN.

Brewmacker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 17, 2019
The Netherlands
[Forward:
As always I jump into the response without yet drinking my morning coffee because at that moment I do not feel like I have time to read 9 pages, never mind skipping to the 9th page.
1.5 hours & 2 coffees later I am at the sending point and scroll to the top to re-read what i have written & remember there are 9 pages, and now just also see that this post is from also from 2013:arghh: :innocent: :halo:.
Note to self! First drink your damn coffee, secondly check the date, and thirdly read through the F*cking thread (at least last page ;) ).
As this is 1.5 hours of my life here on this page, a shared personal journey and still with hope of helping someone, I will tentatively click send. Apologies to the contributors for whom I ignored.]

I know how your feeling. Its called addiction mate,and with a PC in front of you, you are like an alcoholic sitting in front of a cold crisp pint of beer that you cant touch but no body is there to say no or witness your weakness (think that also works for non-alcoholics too ;) .

In the past I had an addiction to games. 6 years my life was work, Play Station, sleep, repeat. That was it. I was also a stoner which is a definite no-go with regards giving up gaming. The weed would make being lazy feel okay. On black ops 2 our team conquered the top 4 places on Zombies, even taking shifts to sleep over a weekend.

The worst was Destiny on PS4. There you really have a tribe mentality which feeds your social desires maybe more than in the real world. F*cking addictive shit I tell you!

So far I have gone through about 6-7 call of duty black ops CDs and 2 black ops 2 CDs.

There always came moments of clarity over the years and I would drill a hole in the Disk and get on with life for a month or two. I know that is not a eco-sustainable or socially-sustainable method, but it was more of a hard statement to myself.

Most recent CoD experience was January this year after a break up. I recognized myself falling back into old patterns after buying CoD black ops. Needless to say - drilled the hole and its in the bin.

How I solved it for good:
Apart from drilling holes in disks, I sold my PS4 in exchange for a Wii U. Stopped with multiplayer games completely.

I enjoy the Wii-U but it has a healthy dose of repetitiveness and I cannot play it for more than an hour. I play it once a month on a chill evening.

I still have my PS3 and accept that when I do buy CoD it is for "temporary" recreation purposes only, and set some time aside to play. As soon as I crave playing it or start thinking about sacrificing other things to stay at home and play, I drill a hole in it.

Currently since Jan I still havent bought a new copy, but they are around €5 for a second hand copy these days. So it is basically a rental service to me.

Advice for you:
You are not addicted to gaming
! You are addicted to dopamine! (aka addictive personality, that is why your more likely to get hooked on other dopamine giving habits)

Google or search on YouTube, dopamine fasting.

You are addicted to the quick-lived and hard hitting dopamine kicks that these games give you and real life probably will never give you. You are triggering your flight or fight response without really being in danger and this leads to a whole spectrum of psychological issues (Addictive Personality, ADD, ADHD, Anxiety, Drama Queen Syndrome, quick to anger, easily frustrated, just to name a few).

Action:
You will most likely need to RESET ALL DOPAMINE FIXES that will impact your complete recovery.

You need to take a really honest look at yourself and discover your guilty pleasures that give you the "rush".

Try it for a month! In the list below are all likely sources of dopamine and cortisol* in your life, and you should cut them out completely for a minimum of 1 month:
  • NO PORN AT ALL!
  • NoFap **,
  • No Movies,
  • No TV,
  • No News - this shit feeds on you soul, shocking you with negative and warped information,
  • No Gaming (even on your phone),
  • No Social Media (facebook, tinder, instagram),
  • I am also really sorry to say, no 9GAG :(
All these steams of information prey on your addiction and ensure you keep getting your quick fix dopamine and cortisol releases.

Speaking from experience this will be really really hard. You will feel it physically as well as mentally. Almost like your heart is breaking.

Try taking ashwagandha or something similar to maintain your focus on the important day-to-day things but also to reduce anxiety, and to reduce your cortisol levels.

Conclusion
There is hope for you yet matie, it will be an extreme journey with massive positive results.
In the end you will be so sensitive to recognize these hormones being released and the physical impact they have on your body you will run a mile.

I went to see the Lion King a few weeks ago without watching a movie in months. Holy shit! It was an emotional roller coaster. I had not felt so physically sensitive to these emotional responses in sooo long (Mufasa why do you have to die every time!! :rofl:).
This is simply because my hormones are somewhat re-calibrated and I do not get these kicks in real life. It is amazing and scary but nice as long as you see a movie as an emotional treat.

*Dopamine (reward hormone) & cortisol (stress-hormone) are both highly addictive substances, that through over use will negatively impact your mental health due to over use of fight or flight responses.

** At least try NoFap for a month for the dopamine reset. Personally I found it is a little bit over the top, and as we are sexual beings there are other more 'natural forces' at play here, which through porn we men have lost. Please google "Healthy Masturbation").

:innocent: :halo:

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Apr 12, 2012
To overcome addiction aks yourself: "What is the hardest addiction to overcome and how do people overcome it?"

How do you get off heroin etc.?
Whatever the methods that work, these methods should also be helpful for addictions that are "easier" to quit.

eldelnacho

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Apr 22, 2019
Hi guys.. I have a real big problem. I can't do anything or finish anything unless I quit games. I know it's not a serious condition that I have, but it does get in the way with a lot of things that I do on my computer because I get way to distracted. I end up playing 1 game then another then another......again and again. It's really just frustrating at the end of it all. I realize I haven'y gotten anything done at all. And minutes of gaming have become hours and it's really depressing.

I'm not trying to limit myself to a few hours a week/day/month, but I'm trying to quit for good. I know there are those out there that play games and are successful, but I really just want to get gaming out of my life.

If you guys are wondering whether I have a gaming console or a pc, I have a pc. That's why it gets in the way so much because since I'm using my computer to play games, I can't seperate it and I end up gaming because I see it on my desktop.

I want to thank everyone and anyone who helps me overcome this. There are many things that I can do in my life and I don't want it to rot away because I simply couldn't resist my urge. Any ideas and tips would be super helpful.

Thank you again.

Hello, I had this same problem from last year - I used to play way too many video games and smoked too much weed. Now I only play games casually or binge on very special days as a reward and quit weed entirely.

I understand you completely, I also own a Gaming PC and it is probably the best thing ever, but it can become an obstacle when you are trying to reach your goals (or actually deciding what your goals are...). After a bad break up and hanging out with the wrong kind of crowd I decided to quit, I deleted all my video games, left all discord servers where my loser ex-friends hanged out (not real friends, guys who I've only known through online games and whom I probably trusted too much), closed WhatApp groups, deleted facebook friends, burned bridges, started working out seriously again and got into the self-improvement life, that is how I read TMF and UNSCRIPTED and got into this forum, I've lost like 12kgs (26lbs), had an eye surgery to get rid of my stupid nerd glasses and now I probably study everyday, by reading books, learning how to code, started drawing again, etc. I'm passionate about leaving the system, I want to be free.

Now if I play video games is not for escapism, not as a consumer, but as a producer, I analyze winning strategies, why the game is good, game design, etc. If my online friends (I kept a few) complain that I'm not playing as much as before I just ignore their comments. Not just with online friends but with friends in general, I don't go to parties, I don't just "hang out", if it isn't helping my goal I don't participate in it. My time is valuable and I've learned in a few months more than I could have learned in years before I changed my life.

Use everything you have in your environment to feed your goal, your passion.

PS: I just realized I'm replying a post made in 2014, ha!

Last edited:

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore

Thank you again.
Uninstall

MoneyHacker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Dec 5, 2018
Somewhere in Asia
So many useful advices here. Will go through all of them cause i'm in a pretty similar situation at the moment.

vitality11

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Sep 12, 2015
OK
This is my personal experience only:

What helped me is getting engaged in hobbies that I really love.
When you are busy with them and give them all of yourself, you are satisfied and feel full from engaging in them. So there is no motivation to game because you are already plenty excited and happy. Sometime that means that you have to change your location if your current location does not facilitate this level of engagement.

Also, am I a person who can play games in small dosage? Like 30-minutes or 1 hour and then stop? No.
So I just don't engage in it. Move the clock ahead by 10 years ahead - do I want to be the guy that games on his phone or pc multiple hours per day? No. So, I choose 0 minutes per day and instead rededicate the time to real-life games.

Brewmacker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 17, 2019
The Netherlands
This is my personal experience only:

What helped me is getting engaged in hobbies that I really love.
When you are busy with them and give them all of yourself, you are satisfied and feel full from engaging in them. So there is no motivation to game because you are already plenty excited and happy. Sometime that means that you have to change your location if your current location does not facilitate this level of engagement.

Also, am I a person who can play games in small dosage? Like 30-minutes or 1 hour and then stop? No.
So I just don't engage in it. Move the clock ahead by 10 years ahead - do I want to be the guy that games on his phone or pc multiple hours per day? No. So, I choose 0 minutes per day and instead rededicate the time to real-life games.

Yes, yes yes! I forgot! That was a massive contribution for me quitting as well. I began brewing beer, and ended up designing and building multiple systems and in the end building a a building a beer brewing laboratory filled with cool home made brewing gadgets. I am a member of multiple beer societies in the region and the more beer I brewed, the more friends I made!
On saying that I did gain 13 kgs and became borderline alcoholic until I removed the beer tap installation out of the living room, soooo maybe its better to build kites if you have a tendency towards addiction :rofl:

baguvix

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Sep 9, 2018
I had the same problem, I couldn't give up gaming, I tried to uninstall games. I still installed them back. My problem was that I wasn't motivated / it wasn't fun for me to do business because of dopamine being used on gaming / social media addictions which was being more appealing / fun to do.

Dopamine takes the easiest path with least resistance to feel you good. That means that business got a bigger resistance and of course my mind was saying take the easiest path, sit and play games. When I realized this thing I uninstalled games again and now when I understand what causes it, I don't want to play games anymore. I am now more motivated, persistent in business than ever because my mind don't have this easy paths to dopamine. Cut out your easy dopamine paths.

Last edited:

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Has anyone ever played a game to the point of burnout? Usually after several hours, I want to stop playing and get up and do something.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Has anyone ever played a game to the point of burnout? Usually after several hours, I want to stop playing and get up and do something.
Depends on the motivation for the game.

All boys went through the games loving phase. I enjoy playing but I was never too addicted.

Games is addictive to boys because it gave them a false sense of accomplishment. I stopped playing games when I realized no matter how many territories I conquered in the artificial world when I wake up in the real world I will still be a loser.

There was one period in my life I stopped watching movies too. Not because I cannot enjoy them in a cinema. I definitely can. But when I realized that all this is just a show, while the actors behind the screen are making millions, while I am wasting my time here to fulfill their financial goals, I get very bitter. That was a period when Things were tough and I was bitter. I was quite hardcore then. I am not recommending that attitude but if it helps you in dealing with games addiction I am glad to corrupt you with that bitterness.

“Every-time when you spend your times on games you are wasting your own time and fulfilling the financial goals of the game developers and helping others to build their Fastlane. When the games stops you will be back to reality. You will still be a loser in life while the game developers on one step further moving from 7 digits to 8 digits net worth”.

The same can be said about facebook addiction. Mark Zuckerberg is the modern day East Indian Company opium seller.

Julius Alba

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 9, 2018
Philippines
Additionally, you might find it interesting that gamification of my activities help motivate me.

I'm driven by high scores, leveling up, unlocks, perks.
So I apply that to my business activities.

If I do good enough in my latest launch, I can buy a new computer, which will let me then work 3x as fast and do even better on my NEXT product launch.

If I write 5 articles this week, there's a chance that the audience will carry over into NEXT week's audience.. and the next week. The stats are just building up on top of one another making me more and more money.

Once you have a little infrastructure in place (a website with a few products) you can look at money as score in a game.
Once I systemize my entire business, I'll make some room for games in my life.
Great advice! Cheers!

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness
Put a picture of a crazed non sleep Gaming addict on one side of your computer and a very personal picture of where you want your life to be this time Next year.

FierceRacoon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 1, 2019
Here is a technique that works for me: limit to gaming 1 day a month. On that day you can game 24 hours, but for any other day you have to donate $100 to charity. If that is not sustainable, start from 1 day a week, or even 3 days a week.

What happened with me is that those rare days became gaming marathons leading to exhaustion and disgust.

Then over time, gradually decrease the frequency. But gradually; it can take a year to go from 1 day a month to 1 day in 2 months. That is fine. The upside of my strategy is that it limits the damage being actively inflicted while also allowing for some fun time. (And I found, that is key: if I don't allow myself fun time one way, I'll have to do it another.)

mindfulimmortal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas
I would recommend a great book on habits (both good and bad) and how to make small increments to change your identity (I am not a gamer! vs I am trying to quite gaming.) Atomic Habits by James Clear Along with MJ's books it is a top 5 must read and take action on books!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.