The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

From Gaming Addict To My First Ever Entrepreneurial Success -- My Story So Far

geronalb

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2023
Portugal
Greetings and salutations to you, my friend. Blessed be your day.

Humor me, if only for a moment. It is my duty to make this tale worthwhile. While my story is yet to portray grandeur, no hero was born a legend. It is my mission to turn this around. And it is also my mission to share my insights with you.

Let's start.

All the way through to my first year of college in Electronics & Engineering, I did nothing. My time would be tossed aside for games. Whatever the latest addiction was, it'd consume me. I was content to live the in the Slowlane forever rather than to break out of it. In a rented apartment shared with three other fellows, 200km away from home, I could not stand this nonsense.

"Is this really what life is all about?"

That question echoed. And echoed. Every single second, on loop. Anything I did, I abhorred. Nothing held value beyond the mere passage of time. Perhaps I could numb myself to its passing? That appeared to be the best course of action. After all, I did not find future ventures in my formal education. Working at some local, manual labor job would not suffice for me either. That was no dead end. It was a crippling road towards the streets of my home city.

So, I dropped out. January 8th, 2021, I moved back home to work "full-time". Under my father's gardening company and wing, I took to manual labor anyhow. Try to gain some form of capital. Turns out, I was to work for free until next September. Earning a whopping 0.87€ per hour, under regular full-time hours, I would do anything. Move tons worth of soil and gravel by hand, mow lawns, chainsaw trees and branches from top to bottom. Whatever it took. Overtime became regular time.

Disregarding that this was illegal labor...

I had to do it. My parents were allowing me to stay at home so long as I did. It was a fair deal. If I wasn't in college, at least help out at the workplace. That was the logic. I learned that desperation can be quite the tool for action. And, better yet, I would quit games in as short as a couple months. My lack of energy by the day's end kicked me to bed pronto. I had no reason to want to game. It wasn't going to make anything better.

To replace the time I did have free, I took up art. And, that, has been one of the most eye-opening things for me.

Once I got back into college at the end of 2021, art became a constant. Despite being in a language and translation field (Oriental Studies: Mandarin Chinese For Businesses), I'd draw every chance I got. Many in my own classes were artists themselves, though not professionally. Save for one, but that guy was out of our league.

Still, this whole college thing still resounded untrue to my essence. I had no ideas for what to do with my Mandarin skills, despite my interest. It was more a fun thing to know than a dealbreaker for any business venture. Sure, one could argue that China is a powerful entity to be in good relations with. That was not something I could leverage at the time, however.

I was still meandering. Still in the Slowlane.

June 6th, 2022, I would drop out again. This once, I'd ask for a gap year. My parents were understanding enough to have given me this opportunity. I have been investing myself in raising my artistic abilities and comprehending the market around art.

That was not easy at all. I felt alone and lost. Having only about a year or so of art experience, I doubted whether I could make a business out of the area I am most passionate about. I would (and still) study art every single day. But I could not make commissions once every month or so into a sustainable income source.

December 2022 is when I'd discover "The Millionaire Fastlane ". By itself, it answered a lot of questions.

Now, more than ever, I understand that passion alone is not enough. The five commandments, in particular -- especially the one of NEED -- have driven me to consider other business opportunities. The mindset and philosophies of the Fastlane had me skeptical at first, though I sought to apply them as best I could.

It is now the 9th of January, 2023. I've made a total of 350€ from my artistic commissions alone. I only retain 260€ due to poor spending habits. Considering that this is my first ever venture into business, I would consider it a success. My first ever entrepreneurial success, even.

It has taught me much. The value of the connections I've built up over the year (which I would have no business without), for instance. The power of the people and feedback. The fact that ideas truly are everywhere. Most importantly, it led me to the Fastlane and many other insightful discoveries.

The habit of continuously educating myself has become a must. That is something I cannot thank MJ DeMarco enough for.

Still, now I face a question most prominent. With about two years of art experience, I am no master. I know I will only get better as time goes on, especially if I maintain a daily study routine. Still, the market has taken a massive shift. Intrinsic value alone won't save anyone.

Artificial intelligence has proliferated into art. It is not the only field it spread into, but people are afraid. This proves to be an opportunity. I am uncertain as to how I may best help my fellow artists, but I know that there is something to explore here. Even if the fear-mongering and backlash against the unfair use of AI dies out, there are plenty of things to be done here.

Intrinsic value is something artists pride themselves in. Most are not industry professionals. I can say for certain, my dream life would be to serve as a master artist of this century. An artist that fixes and solves the problems of other artists all around the world. If that may come in the form of education, inspiration, positivity or good faith, so be it.

However, is that the best solution?

There were a couple of options that came to mind.

First, a content system. Something along the lines of a social media or YouTube weekly series. An educational program or even some more risqué content. It would focus around art-related topics and, most importantly, addressing the discussions and problems of the many. As an artist myself, I understand that there are plenty of needs unmet. I am aggravated with the approach many content creators take with their material, too. A lot of fluff and little substance. Too much noise to get to the point. To provide the solutions for my people, I know what to do in this case.

Second, I've pondered upon writing and publishing a story that I have recently completed planning for. Completely unrelated, I know. This story has been in development for a solid six years, now. I have all the essentials for this narrative to be written. The world is built. The events are set. The characters are alive and breathing. All I'd need is to write and publish it (and all that lies beyond that).

My understanding of computer programming could also lead to potential business ventures in either direction. Not sure how, though. I am well acquainted with the workings of Linux and have run a home NAS myself. It served as a local cloud storage for my family. Now, we don't maintain that anymore since Google Drive is much more accessible. Besides that, programming is something I do take interest in. I could mull through endless waves of content just to fix a simple problem. I will scour the most obscure websites and forums for the solution to my needs. I suppose that having a personal computer and nobody to teach me about it taught me persistence.

It was my belief that I was being too narrow minded with these ideas, though. After all, what could a story provide beyond its entertainment value and emotional connection to the reader? Was I writing that story for myself? What about an art-centered content system or systems? Is it because I have a solution to my people, or because I want to work on nothing besides art?

The Fastlane gave me the roadmap. I know I can figure something out.

Art is my biggest passion. Though, thanks to the Fastlane, I understand how to apply my acquired knowledge to service others. To better the lives of other artists and consumers alike. Now, I understand that which will lead me in the right path, no matter the business. If I could apply the principles of the Fastlane to any field, surely art would be ripe with opportunity, too?

Perhaps so. But only time will tell.

So far, I've come in touch with a tender group of people who do enjoy what I have to offer. They are the ones leading my ventures. They provide me feedback, and I provide my input on the matter as fast as I am able to. I believe I can only make this easier for ourselves by further investing into this venture.

And if it doesn't work, then I know I am not on the roadmap I had hoped to be. That falls upon me entirely. With the Fastlane, I know I will find my way to my destination.

Thank you for your time. And I wish you best of luck on your endeavors.

I am not one to make promises. This year, however, I do not intend to sit still. Time to hit the gas.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

KiwiEC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Jan 5, 2023
France
Great story, I wish you the best in the future.

I used to be a gaming addict too but not anymore. New games are boring and too similar (but built on a solid business model for gaming companies, game as a service with plenty of subscriptions/microtransactions).

Looking forward to follow your journey.

geronalb

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2023
Portugal
Great story, I wish you the best in the future.

I used to be a gaming addict too but not anymore. New games are boring and too similar (but built on a solid business model for gaming companies, game as a service with plenty of subscriptions/microtransactions).

Looking forward to follow your journey.
Much appreciated, lad. Thank you.

And I most definitely agree with you on that one. I'll admit, after reading into the practices of monetization in modern gaming, I must give credit to their models. The tactics and psychology behind the microtransactions in most contemporary games are predatory yet ingenious. In an increasingly concerning manner, but ingenious nonetheless.

Once again, thank you for your time. Best of luck to you, as well.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...