• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Trading Life for a Weekend?
    Build a Business, Build a Life.
    Unleash the Dream.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is an entrepreneurial business strategy that unleashes dreams, frees time, and explodes your incomes—but more importantly, it changes your life forever. Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.

FREE Download (Unscripted) FREE Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.

GOLD HOW DO I SERIOUSLY GIVE UP GAMING

Discussion in 'General Mindset, Motivation, Beliefs' started by vxzyx, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Dark Water

Dark Water Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $556
    Yeah I distinctly remember playing super mario until I was 5 and I got a PS1 for xmas with Mortal Kombat. Few years later got PS2, then eventually Xbox 360, then eventually Xbox One (two of 'em), computer games, etc. Doesn't help I started such a young age, so I just avoid them all now.

2. Arevico

Arevico New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $93
    That would be your best bet, when youre brain is used to it, reading a book gives the same down time pleasure, but it is more productive :)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn T08 met Tapatalk

3. wade1mil

wade1mil Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,893
    If it's computer games, sell your computer and buy a Chromebook.
    If it's console games, sell the console. If you can't sell it, then beat the shit out of it with a hammer.
    You'll be forced into a new "routine" once you hit your boredom limit.

jasoncuellar123 likes this.
  4. shanem56

shanem56 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $153
    Elon never had the temptation of today's caliber games!! Honestly, you can't play PONG for 5 hours straight :rofl:

And now he has the choice to either work on launching rockets to colonize Mars or play video games.... :happy:

jasoncuellar123 likes this.
  5. Christopher777

Christopher777 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,866
    Just go ahead and keep doing it man.

You'll soon realize that you are responsible for everything.

And since you know that it's something that's holding you back, it's ON YOU.

Knowing that, it will be very very hard for you to not think about what you're doing.

You already know where things are going and you're the only one that can change it.

Two things will help you.

1. Self-awareness. Make it a habit to check up on yourself.
    2. Your WHY. What's your life about man? Who do you do it for? What do you want your life to be like? What do you want to contribute to the world?

Until you learn to value your time, you are going nowhere.

We all know that by now. It's just a friendly reminder. Even I had to remind myself this one.

(Ok, so the OP was around 2014, haven't read the full thread )

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    ZF Lee and Aaron Lamb like this.
  6. Camilo Ardiles

Camilo Ardiles Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $684
    Do not know if you still have this problem and for those who are also suffering this I really like the Habit loop suggested in the book the power of habit.

habit-replacement.jpg

For instance the cue is what activates the routine, therefore instead of trying to stop playing games look to replace it with a positive activity that will have a similar reward.

7. Sanj Modha

Sanj Modha Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,668
    Truth! Also, he was playing Doom or Quake (I can't remember which one but it's in the bio) after 16 hour work days. I guess it's a reward mechanism although I have no idea since I've never been a gamer.

ZF Lee and AArora like this.
  8. Sanj Modha

Sanj Modha Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,668
    Solid advice. When I started out in ecommerce the guy mentoring me said "We all have an itch to scratch". If you needed some game time, reddit time or whatever itch that needs scratching - get it out of the way before starting work.

9. Fairus Farok

Fairus Farok New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $32
    I actually made it difficult for myself...By stuffing my PS4 and Gaming PC into the deepest darkest corner of my storeroom. Now everytime I want to play, I have to put in effort to retrieve said equipment which is behind a few tools, some small shelves, and a few old furniture.

Not worth the effort to play...

10. GastonEE

GastonEE Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $257
    I don't see why you would want to do this. Giving up on something you enjoy doesn't sound very healthy. Gotta find the right dosage.

Vilox likes this.
  11. ProblemSolving

ProblemSolving Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $232
    How about make video games yourself?
    At first I thought nobody would like my game.
    But then.
    7-8 downloads a day.
    Not profitable, but some people want it.

After that, my desire for video game evaporated.
    MJ talked about something like "doing something for money will kill what you love."

ZF Lee likes this.
  12. Tomek Starosta

Tomek Starosta New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $88
    Sell your GPU and get a bare minimum one for work.

It did the trick for me.

13. Tomek Starosta

Tomek Starosta New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $88
    The guy is heavily addicted to gaming which prevents him from taking action. There is no 'right dosage' for people like him and I'm speaking from experience here.

It has to be cold turkey imo and it has to be forced by taking irreversible actions - selling his gaming pc and getting a macbook/less powerful system/blocking gaming websites, etc.

ZF Lee likes this.
  14. NihilPerditi

NihilPerditi New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $22
    I think that all one needs to quit doing something is to find the proper reason. I used to play video games a lot, one day however that changed. I was struck by the amount of time I lost. I just thought about all things I could have done instead and it was enough. The real power of FTE.

15. alan3wilson

alan3wilson Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $306
    I was like you for gaming, how I did that: I've sold and removed all BS games of my computer. Best thing I've ever did! I felt like a free guy since that day!

Leave the gaming world, make money first then if you have free time like 1 hour you can do gaming.. but first make money

16. astr0

astr0 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $159
    Easy tricks from former gaming addict that WORKS
    • Find more important and/or interesting ways to spend your time. Like 8 hours for the last 2 months on your 9-5 and 10 more hours on your new company + 1 hour in traffic. Did the trick for me 8 years ago. Zombies can't play.
    • Cheat. Games are designed on reward loops and cheating breaks that loops so game is no longer interesting. Don't cheat in online games. It can actually be more fun. lol.
    • Delete your account in online games. Just do it. You probably won't start playing again from scratch.
    • Get rid of games on your pc/phone/whatever. Get rid of specific gaming devices like consoles. Just in case of itch.
    • Understand that games are designed to be addictive. Like cigarettes. Don't start again. Value your time and your life.
    I used to play games a lot in high school and university. And smoke a lot, but that's another story...

ZF Lee, Pilot35 and 404profound like this.
  17. DannyD

DannyD New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $82
    You need to eliminate the root completely. In other words, you have to get rid of any possibility that you will be able to play games.

My background:
    Addicted to computer games from ~middle school to end of high school. EASILY put in 10,000 hours (aka 1+ year of my life spent in front of a PC). While my grades and relationships suffered, I had a lot of fun. The main regret I have is listening to my parents and not going to offline tournaments and potentially going pro.

If you have a desktop, you either need to get rid of it and get something that can't play games (e.g. a laptop that doesn't have a sick graphics card) or take out the graphics card and replace it with some cheap shit or use the onboard one.

If the games aren't graphic-intensive, you need to make a different user account on your PC or something with limited privileges (can't install anything) and then tell someone like your parents, etc. to make an admin user account password and never tell you what it is.

If you have a console, sell it.

Obviously I can't go into every possible scenario but you need to either make the playing of games impossible (e.g. the examples above) or make it so difficult that you wouldn't bother.

For example, I would still play games given the chance but I'm currently living in a foreign country (electronics are probably 2x or 3x the price and I'm not gonna be here forever) and on a basic laptop - not going to play games on this considering it is not designed for that and I like FPS games. (It also helps to have a serious goal - an "F this moment" might help).

Contrarian and Kingmaker like this.
  18. shubham525

shubham525 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $393
    As everyone pointed out and the though immediately came to my mind.

If you enjoy gaming you need to get a good webcam and recording software (obs , xsplit gamecaster) record all gameplays and post on youtube.

Live stream on Twitch , do live stream.

Post game reviews , try gaming consoles.

Best , if your into Pc gaming. Review and test graphic cards , gaming keyboards , gaming mouse etc etc.

Opportunities are unlimited.

Which games do you play ?

If you play esports like league of legends type then even better.

19. shubham525

shubham525 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $393
    No , if you love them don't delete.

20. Leigh Farrell

Leigh Farrell New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $78
    I was using Facebook too much and it used to waste heaps of my time. When i got serious about quitting, i deleted the app. Now i use it once every week or two for about 10 minutes on my browser.
    If you have a console, ask a friend who lives 20 minutes drive or more away from you to store it.
    If you use pc to play, delete the games, delete steam, and ask s friend to look after your games for you.
    That way you can still play if you want to, but you make it more difficult for yourself.
    Like mj says, the battle of the bulge isn't won in the kitchen, it's won in the store.

21. NewManRising

NewManRising Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $529
    Remember, as time passes that is a chunk of your life gone. You've probably wasted much of your life doing stuff that wasted time. Do you want to be old and not have accomplished anything? Is gaming more important than freedom? I've cut down big time on all my time-wasting activities. I have games too but have not touched them in like 2 years. I thought about selling it all. It's all replaceable. If I ever get the desire to play again I can always buy it again. But for now, I want to dedicate the next few years to gaining financial freedom. You need to lock in your goals and purpose in life. Don't waste your life on bullshit.

astr0 and Kingmaker like this.