The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How can you work full time while growing your business ?

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
I am software developer who work typical 9-5 job + 2 hours commute daily, what I found is it is really hard to have desire to code more or do other business operations after a long work day. the only days I have energy for my personal projects are weekend or off days. other than that I find it hard to do any useful work .
My plan was to reach profit equal to my income but that look too far and require more dedication.
How do you guys do that? is it only software job that take all your attention and leave you have no desire to more work or what ?
quitting the job is not an option due to high expenses that might quickly eat all my saving .
I have tried to outsource, but they still require to be managed and followed by details .
any suggestions or opinions will be welcomed, however dont suggest to leave my day job without suggesting how to make up the financial dip that will be caused .

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jsoh

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
May 16, 2019
California
How do you guys do that?

You gotta ask yourself what's more important... Do you want to work for somebody else your whole life or do you want to get serious and push yourself hard to win?

I have tried to outsource, but they still require to be managed and followed by details .

Software Dev would always have to be managed or you could end up with something completely different than what you're looking to build. During the build process you either need to be heavily involved, or have somebody involved on your behalf that reports to you for project updates.

Anyways, I think it's a question of finding your real motivation. The people who make it do whatever it takes to succeed.

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
Hey Man nice to meet you. Great problem / challenge you have.

I'll get straight to the point. I am in a similar situation....

typical 9-5 job + 2 hours commute daily

Is it possible to 'work faster' during 9-5? Are you able to outsource that? Or do your job in 4hrs and then focus on your side business? 2hrs of commute is a lot daily (weekly 10hrs? yearly around 400-500hrs?)? Can you use this time to learn? Or can you use it to do physical 'work' (cycling to work or running that would make you more 'fresh' afterwards?)

it is really hard to have desire to code more or do other business operations after a long work day

I totally get you. I wake up at 5am and my mind turns off around 12am-2pm completely unless I do some physical. Then I can get back to mental work (and sometimes not even then). I myself don't think it's possible to work with your brain 100% for more than 6hrs a day and be efficient (same with any other muscles? try heavy lifting for more than 4hrs a day?). In the long term.

quitting the job is not an option due to high expenses that might quickly eat all my saving .

What are the expenses? Can they be reduced so you can switch to physical job or go part-time? Unfortunately working with your brain at work and then demanding from yourself to perform mental tasks after using your brain for 4-8hrs is impossible... Ok maybe not impossible but maybe unproductive... Depending on person.

I have been considering e.g. driving a taxi or doing anything else than office work to follow my 'passion' or 'dreams' (whatever you call what you want to add to this world and make it better).

The people who make it do whatever it takes to succeed.

Exactly. It just takes years or decades sometimes. But it's worth pursuing than 'resting' in mediocrity and 'coasting' the rest of your life wondering 'what would it be like?"...

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
I'm working for 12-16 hours a day for the last 2 months on a clients project (not recommended).
Took a two-week vacation to build the MVP and get it to the market, you can do the same if you're building a product.
Finding good freelancers to outsource the product is another option. They would require much less time for managing and feedback than cheap but crapy ones. It may look more expensive, but you should know that one hour of a good developer is much more than one hour of a junior, so the total costs might be pretty close in the long run.

Reaching the same profit as your current salary won't always be enough. Businesses are full of ups and downs, things may be going great for 3 months and completely bad later. I would start thinking of quitting the job after profits from side business would be at least 2-3x of your current expenses. And yes, try to cut the expenses.

I really love programming, so coding for 16 hours is not a big deal. Yes, not 100% efficient, but 30% is more than enough for the most time. But I do get very tired after long exhausting meeting with the client on my 9-5, can't work more after that. Also, my job is great because I usually do have a lot of free time there. Maybe you can finish your 9-5 tasks faster and spend the rest of the time on your business?

There will be sacrifices. Are you ready to make them?

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
I am happy to meet you guys especially some of you are software developers , which mean a better understanding to our challenges
You gotta ask yourself what's more important... Do you want to work for somebody else your whole life or do you want to get serious and push yourself hard to win?
My job is not really bad, as you know software developers in general are treated well, I dont want to take mindset of hating what I am doing because I am paycheck slave or working for another man , I know it can give motivation, but it also affect negatively on the health of that person, I know many guys are like that and they keep ranting and feeling more miserable.

Is it possible to 'work faster' during 9-5?
As you know in agile development , it is no longer finish your work and enjoy free time. You will always get more work, so there is no point of finishing the work because more tasks will be assigned to me.
Or do your job in 4hrs and then focus on your side business? 2hrs of commute is a lot daily (weekly 10hrs? yearly around 400-500hrs?)?
In Toronto , that is normal , as most people live in sub urbs while business in city centers, some people go less some even higher to total of 3 or 4 hours.
What are the expenses? Can they be reduced so you can switch to physical job or go part-time?
No, it is the cost of living in Toronto , you always need at least 3K for housing whether you are renting or owning ,beside some other fixed expenses , and what is rest even if you reduce it , it is neglegtable to the ammount you spend on housing and fixed costs . Unless you move to some shit*y place, but someone with a family like me , it is hard to live any where, I did it when I was single , but cant be repeated today.

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I totally understand that you may be burned out after work. But ask yourself after work when you were just watching TV and relaxing, should you be doing that or working on your own business.

Now if you don’t want to code anymore in your brain is just fried. I would probably do this, I would slow down on my regular job. Meaning I would take more breaks into a little less work, meaning your productivity at work may drop down to 80%. Then when you get home do you have at least 20% more to work on your own business.

When I was working a 9-to-5, and I was remodeling my house, I would work on that remodel from 6 PM to 10 PM when I got home. And if that wasn’t enough I would take a week off for vacation and just work on my house.

Now I know that is not the same thing but that is a way to get things done when you don’t have the time or energy.

Bottom line is that all your coworkers are working as developers like you at their full-time job. If you want a better life and to make more money than your coworkers you simply have to work more whether you like it or not.

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
I'm working for 12-16 hours a day for the last 2 months on a clients project (not recommended).
Is this project to your own business or part of your employer business ?
Took a two-week vacation to build the MVP and get it to the market, you can do the same if you're building a product.
I did the same thing and built some face-book tool for marketers , however by my last vacation day Facebook refused to approve my app for public use because they have a list of criteria need to be met, which I was planning to do it in the second phase as I didnt know it is mandatory , and then my tool staled there.
I really love programming, so coding for 16 hours is not a big deal. Yes, not 100% efficient, but 30% is more than enough for the most time.
I love programming and building applications too , I am also into machine learning , but for me 8 hours of programming is too much for me to start another session at night.
I would like to share more experience as you are very similar to my case, except you have the energy to continue coding after a long day of coding.

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
Meaning I would take more breaks into a little less work, meaning your productivity at work may drop down to 80%.
Some of the developers do that, and I suspect two coworkers doing that here to save energy for their side business, the thing is usually they will not stay long unless they are under paid.
When I was working a 9-to-5, and I was remodeling my house,
What was your day job if you dont mind ? For me doing physical job is easier after my day job , but doing any brain related thing such as thinking , focusing , etc is very hard.

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
Life on lifes terms.

If you cant quit because of expenses then you have to have a business that can be worked on part time , simple as that.

I think how its done is the people who want it bad enough white knuckle it and grind that bad boy out when they get home

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
Is this project to your own business or part of your employer business ?
It's complicated... It's a client project of my side service business but I also have decent equity in it for reduced service rates.

I love programming and building applications too , I am also into machine learning , but for me 8 hours of programming is too much for me to start another session at night.
I would like to share more experience as you are very similar to my case, except you have the energy to continue coding after a long day of coding.
Machine learning is probably the only thing I haven't played with yet in programming. Oh... and I haven't launched rockets into space too, but I'm pretty sure it's not much different for real-time firmware for machinery, just more math, more cases to cover and much better testing.

Most of the time programming is really easy for me and doesn't take much energy. Yeah, I can't work 100% for more than 5 hours straight, but I rarely have to, especially on 9-5. Only the hardest architectural tasks may need 100% for an hour or two. Listening to audiobook/podcast/video definitely takes more energy.

I did the same thing and built some face-book tool for marketers , however by my last vacation day Facebook refused to approve my app for public use because they have a list of criteria need to be met, which I was planning to do it in the second phase as I didnt know it is mandatory , and then my tool staled there.
How many weekends you had since then?

100ToOne

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Jul 1, 2018
To be honest, don't listen to anyone that'll tell you to quit your job. Or you can, it's your choice. ESPECIALLY like you said you have lots of expenses. What will happen then is that you will find yourself very anxious on getting money NOW whilst working on 'creating a business' which can easily take months if not years to make money that will pay for your expenses. Imagine that shit situation. A lot of my relatives have been through that.

However I was thinking the other day since you guys (people with similar situation) have, and I'm just assuming now, a high/medium pay job, why don't you save the most you can and save it to build a product based business which usually requires lots of money but also less time? Such as Amazon-FBA. You could easily start with $10k dollars and just work 1/2-hour a day on it and make it going until you can live off the profits where only THEN you could quit your job and focus on different time-consuming businesses such as building a app or whatever?

FreeMan

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Nov 26, 2012
NSW, Australia
I was a business analyst/UX designer for a software company and felt fried after work too for a number of months. Previously, I had worked on my business projects in the evenings and was reasonably effective working up to midnight and beyond as I have always been a night owl. But as my day job was getting more mentally intensive, I found that I was just sitting in front of my computer at nights and not really getting anything done. A simple 5 minute task was taking me 30-45min to complete now and not done very well to boot.

Feeling frustrated that I was giving my best mental energies to my job and not to my business & future, I decided to wake up earlier like many of the morning rituals approaches you hear about. It was a real struggle to get up an hour earlier and initially I wouldn't get that much done in that hour. But after a little while and getting into the early wake up routine, I was actually getting a bunch of work done in that time as I was mentally fresh and very focussed due to the limited time before I needed to head to work. Soon, I was getting up a little bit earlier and getting more done in that time. It wasn't always perfect as the kids would sometimes wake up early and I'd be interrupted. Or I stayed up too late one night and couldn't get up earlier. But I definitely made big progress waking up earlier and getting onto the critical task as the first thing in the morning. And I felt great knowing that I worked on my business first and didn't feel guilty at nights for not having the energy to work on my projects.

When I wanted to ramp things up, I also used part of my lunch break to work on my projects. So I brought my iPad/laptop into work and go out during lunchtime (with a packed lunch) every day to a public space (e.g. building foyer, library, food court) and hotspot my device to work on my projects. I didn't always gets heaps done as it was a bit of rush depending on how long I had for lunch, but at least I still had mental energy to work on my own projects at this time of the day.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Some of the developers do that, and I suspect two coworkers doing that here to save energy for their side business, the thing is usually they will not stay long unless they are under paid.

What was your day job if you dont mind ? For me doing physical job is easier after my day job , but doing any brain related thing such as thinking , focusing , etc is very hard.

I was a project manager for a cellular company. I managed the network build outs.

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
A lot of great ideas here

As you know in agile development , it is no longer finish your work and enjoy free time. You will always get more work, so there is no point of finishing the work because more tasks will be assigned to me.

Yes. It's not only 'agile'. It's always everywhere. I quickly unlearnt myself from working more at a day job. Like biophase said 'mildly', maybe work less in your day job. Or 'work slower' (contrary to what I wrote above).

I know it may sound unethical but any contract that doesn't pay for efficiency (commission based), pays only for the amount of work that you do so you don't get fired (Office Space ;) ). Unfortunately contemporary leftovers from assembly-line worker jobs in early 1900s...

But after a little while and getting into the early wake up routine, I was actually getting a bunch of work done in that time as I was mentally fresh and very focussed due to the limited time before I needed to head to work.

Same here. Weird but I don't even need an alarm clock anymore. I just wake up around the time I am supposed to. Quality time is used for yourself and then what is left goes to our employer (aka shareholders happiness)...

Ampatch

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Mar 6, 2019
United States
I was a business analyst/UX designer for a software company and felt fried after work too for a number of months. Previously, I had worked on my business projects in the evenings and was reasonably effective working up to midnight and beyond as I have always been a night owl. But as my day job was getting more mentally intensive, I found that I was just sitting in front of my computer at nights and not really getting anything done. A simple 5 minute task was taking me 30-45min to complete now and not done very well to boot.

Feeling frustrated that I was giving my best mental energies to my job and not to my business & future, I decided to wake up earlier like many of the morning rituals approaches you hear about. It was a real struggle to get up an hour earlier and initially I wouldn't get that much done in that hour. But after a little while and getting into the early wake up routine, I was actually getting a bunch of work done in that time as I was mentally fresh and very focussed due to the limited time before I needed to head to work. Soon, I was getting up a little bit earlier and getting more done in that time. It wasn't always perfect as the kids would sometimes wake up early and I'd be interrupted. Or I stayed up too late one night and couldn't get up earlier. But I definitely made big progress waking up earlier and getting onto the critical task as the first thing in the morning. And I felt great knowing that I worked on my business first and didn't feel guilty at nights for not having the energy to work on my projects.

When I wanted to ramp things up, I also used part of my lunch break to work on my projects. So I brought my iPad/laptop into work and go out during lunchtime (with a packed lunch) every day to a public space (e.g. building foyer, library, food court) and hotspot my device to work on my projects. I didn't always gets heaps done as it was a bit of rush depending on how long I had for lunch, but at least I still had mental energy to work on my own projects at this time of the day.
I highly recommend op follow this advice. I changed my development time from the afternoon to two hours in the morning and it's helped a lot. There's nothing taking your attention away and you are at your most energy. I develop 4:14 am - 6 am and then start work at 7am. Add another 6 hours Saturday and Sunday mornings each. You get used to it.

awestbro

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Nov 13, 2018
West Virginia
I'm in the same boat. Programmer for a startup and trying to build/ launch a SaaS business in my spare time. The things I've found that have the most effect so far on regenerating mental energy are diet and exercise. Come home and workout for 30 minutes to an hour to give your brain some time to relax before programming again. If I go straight from work programming to home programming, my brain feels like absolute garbage. Also if I eat a big lunch of greasy carbs or have a beer, I can guarantee that night will be unproductive.

TLDR: Diet, Exercise, Sleep, Water. Original, I know.

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
Your venture should excite you beyond going home to watch TV or chill - you should look forward to it. After all, it’s going to set your a$$ freeeee...

Do you believe in what you’re doing enough, are you confident that it will effect change in people’s lives and ultimately transform yours? Or are you just doing the same thing you do at work, with the intent of one day just doing what you already do, only for yourself, in the same fashion just without a boss.

Go watch Jim Rohn’s motivational speaking vids until you find the one that addresses going home, eating dinner, grabbing tv and going to bed. It’s profound once you hear it - it’s the very stark, mental differentiator between those who make it, and those who won’t.

And on TV in general - just remember what TV is. At best, it’s you spending your life watching someone else’s. At worst, and more commonly - it’s you spending your life watching a fictional story about someone’s life who doesn’t even exist, but was made up by another entrepreneur to get you to subscribe to sitting your butt on your couch to watch their work. Working on ANYTHING that has the promise to transform your own life should be way more stimulating than TV.

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
How much do you want it?

And how long do you want it to take (before your business can support itself and pay your bills)?

Some jobs have more wiggle room so you can do a little work on your biz during your day job. If not, you have to make time outside your day job for your biz.

Yes, you can use vacation time to work on your biz, but I believe it's better (and typically faster) to work on your biz consistently, every day. That way, you build a habit of consistently executing, pushing past your comfort zone to build mental toughness, and will make more consistent progress as opposed to intermittent progress.

Like @FreeMan, @Everyman, & @Longinus said, you might consider working on your biz in the morning--BEFORE you get depleted by your day job.

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
Yes, you can use vacation time to work on your biz, but I believe it's better (and typically faster) to work on your biz consistently, every day. That way, you build a habit of consistently executing, pushing past your comfort zone to build mental toughness, and will make more consistent progress as opposed to intermittent progress.
You may use vacation to get your product to the market and work consistently on it every day later ;)

Putting everything you can to get it to the market asap helps a lot.
You work on full motivation and you'll get the market feedback faster if it gets there faster.
I'm talking about calendar time, it really might be more hours put than doing it consistently every day.
You'll get more time to think in the background with the latter approach.
But it's quite possible to lose faith in the idea and the desert of desertion gets tougher if it's spread in time with no results and even no feedback.

You may have missed the last question from my previous post, but as @NMdad wrote

How much do you want it?

Cause there's always a way.

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
Some of good ideas I got :
1- work early and before your day job . Sound good solution
2- Workout after work and have good diet , this is also good, however usually I cannot go to exercise until late night .

How much do you want it?
I need 6 K per month. and need 60 subscriber to reach that amount, which might takes 1 -2 years.
How many weekends you had since then?
A lot , when you are slow on project you kind of get frustrated and leave it .
However I was thinking the other day since you guys (people with similar situation) have, and I'm just assuming now, a high/medium pay job, why don't you save the most you can and save it to build a product based business which usually requires lots of money but also less time? Such as Amazon-FBA.
Selling products online require a lot of time for research and ongoing amount for marketing. I had many eCommerce before and once I stop marketing , orders stops coming. these days is even harder as you have to keep your margins very low unless it is unique product.
I know it may sound unethical but any contract that doesn't pay for efficiency (commission based), pays only for the amount of work that you do so you don't get fired (Office Space ;) ). Unfortunately contemporary leftovers from assembly-line worker jobs in early 1900s...
it is not unethical, actually many people go extra mile to get recognition or promotion. in my team I am rounded with work alcoholic who are eyeing for promotions and bonus, they volunteer to work extra hours and any task under management radar they get it under promised over delivered.
Do you believe in what you’re doing enough, are you confident that it will effect change in people’s lives and ultimately transform yours?
Some jobs have more wiggle room so you can do a little work on your biz during your day job
No in this company, I rarely see people even browsing something not related to work. I think they know all PCs are somehow monitored. I can go to some large company when people dont work all the time, however my salary will get a hit, plus due to old technology, my value will be reduced and I might find it hard to find job in future.

FierceRacoon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 1, 2019
@AppMan , do you do machine learning, or at least data engineering? Do you know the open source stack (python, java, git, linux?) Are you good at what you do? At a minimum, can you get a job at Google/Facebook?

Can you sometimes travel to NYC?

If yes, especially if you do machine learning, PM me, and I may have a job for you. The pay may be slightly below the market, given what you are asking for, but in exchange I'll make sure you have time & energy to spend on your entrepreneurial projects. (By the way, the same offer is extended to everybody else who has the skills.)

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
@Everyman asked this question:

2hrs of commute is a lot daily (weekly 10hrs? yearly around 400-500hrs?)? Can you use this time to learn?

I might have missed it but how do you commute? Can you travel by train and use that time with a laptop building your business?

I think it was Tim Ferris in The Four Hour Workweek who suggested you do whatever you can to convince your boss to grant you permission to work a day from home. Then expand that once they see you are more productive in that environment.

If that is not possible (and you never know until you push hard enough) then maybe look for a similar paying job that will allow remote working or less hours for similar pay.

A friend of mine really wanted to set up his own business. He was a database manager for a large company. He said to me that once he had made that decision he basically worked on building his business from work. Did as little as possible for the company paying him, just scraped through his work day providing them with the bare minimum. Eventually after several 'chats' to encourage him to up his act they made him redundant so he left with a business ready to launch and a nice lump sum to fund the first several months.

That's not something I would recommend or condone but he was working for the banking industry so he was just sucking back some of the blood those leaches had extracted from the rest of mankind. (Not that I hate bankers particularly).

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Firstly, you don’t have to replace your salary, you just have to cover your expenses. Reduce expenses where you can. Build up some MRR if you can.

I was an IT guy. I went contracting first off (self-employed on a daily rate doing the same work but without the sick pay, holiday pay, annual appraisals, etc). After a few years I put myself on 3 day weeks and worked on other stuff on the 2 days off.

I gradually moved from IT to digital marketing. I also then gradually weaned myself off having one big client, to having a few medium sized clients, to now having many smaller clients.

It was a step-change improvement to work from home and no longer have to commute and work on client sites. Not only did I reclaim 3 hours a day, but I could take prospect or client phone calls during the day - something I couldn't do onsite.

As for working from home when you're mentally exhausted from the day job... I ended up finding something that used my IT skills and experience, but was sufficiently different for it to be a break from my day job. I was fascinated to be working on it (and still am) and hours would pass without me knowing it. It sounds like you haven't found your WHY or something that grabs you. Is your motivation to not have a boss, or are you compelled to do something?

The two radio interviews in my signature may interest you.

Also... @Almantas asks me about my own story in this chat here:

Last edited:

Siddhartha

Pleasure Operator
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Mar 30, 2019
Echoing the others here, I'm in the same boat, and glad to see other people finding or who had found a way to leverage against it.

I started waking up around 4am (thanks miracle morning) to get about 2 1/2 hours to myself to work on leverage (freelancing) before going to work; between the drive-home commute f*ckfest, Cooking a fresh and healthy dinner, and jiu-jitsu, I have 0 time in the evenings at the moment.

I'm working right now to take back my weekends, so far they've just been "recovering" (isn't that a bullsh*t concept?) from the workweek and, getting my mind out of a fugue state, and dosing with dread for the next week. If I can kick the sleep-in habit and keep up miracle mornings on sat+sunday, I just might start seeing some real change.

Good luck to everyone else fighting the fight.

Matt Hunt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 9, 2019
Sounds like coding is your expertise, but have you considered doing something different for your business? Perhaps something completely unrelated will be easier to work on, rather than doing the same thing you already did for 8 hours at your job.

I'd suggest finding a way to cut your expenses first. Maybe you need to move out of Toronto. So be it. With lower expenses, you may be able to switch to just a part-time job, leaving you more time to work on your business.

AA1980

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Aug 2, 2017
USA
just have to make time. I wake up early, or stay up late to work on my projects. just gotta remember what your goal is.

vitaliy.podoba

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
May 28, 2019
Lviv, Ukraine
When I just started my work as a programmer I was 22. Up to 28-30 I was super-motivated and loved programming all day long. So there was no problem coding 9-6 at the job, and then 7pm-2am at home freelancing.

But after 30 things changed a bit :)

I don't have that much energy to stay late at night anymore.

Also, I'm not coding anymore but doing mainly sales, marketing and running my dev agency. So that also might be the problem. Programming is usually a hyper-focused activity that won't let you sleep be it 1 or 2 am.

And now I found the other workaround how to add 2-3 extra hours to my schedule daily.

I'm waking up at 4:30 am. At 5am I'm in front of my PC and having 3 strong working hours before 8am.

Surely, I need to be in my bed at 9pm, latest 10pm. But that is much better for me these days than staying late hours.

But I forgot to tell you the main thing here.

All these things to tweak your daily schedule make no sense if don't have strong WHY.

I don't really enjoy waking up at 4:30 am or staying late at night working. But what I really enjoy is seeing results from investing these 3 extra hours/day.

So I'd definitely start from setting high enough goal that would help you put these extra hours on a daily basis.

justacar

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
408%
Oct 27, 2018
hey, i was in a similar situation.

here is the deal: whatever you do, it's a family decision. some of the comments and answers here seem to be from people who don't have that responsibility. you want this and you want to make the sacrifices, but you don't know how. well, here is the how: it's a family decision.

that might mean moving someplace cheap and finding remote work. it might mean quitting and having your partner earn the income until you make it. it might mean something else. whatever it is, you ain't gonna find it here on your own. you need to work as a team.

for me, that is getting up at 5, working 2 hours. then kid time. then work 9 - 15, then kid time, then work again 20-22 at 6 days a week. sundays off (well, maybe a bit of work). sometimes its odd hours like now (officially we are on vacation but everyone else is asleep, so...). i am dumping all revenue back into the company. my wife is supporting us. we don't go out much. i do a gaming session once a month with friends for 5-6 hours. that's the entertainment. we eat at home. we cut spendings as much as we can.

for you, it'll be something else. but you know the bottom line: cut costs, maximize use of time, be super focused, reinvest and grow like hell. also: work on the business, not in the business, as much as possible

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.