The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How Amazon Ruined My Life

BNeumann

Navigating The Seas
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
335%
Nov 9, 2017
Global Nomad
Ehh...don't really think amazon is "the best" place to start a brand. Amazon seems to have a commodiziting effect. It seems big brands were already big when they went on amazon. As in, they distinguished themselves from a commodity by branding off amazon making them resistant to 3rd party marketplace commodization.

I do see tons of brands on amazon and in my eyes most are generics even if they got their own label.

Some industries like high end fashion where their exclusivity is part of their value proposition, I would think get negative impact from amazon. They may increase their sales short term, but the long term brand value will decrease due to reduce exclusivity and ease of obtainment.

The best products in amazon I believe are functional physical products where branding isn't as important like fashion.

Don't know if commodizting or commodization are actually words. But you get the point.

Just my opinion.
I think Amazon can work for some brands, but what I've learned is that it only works as a supplemental channel. You can't necessarily go all in on Amazon or FBA and expect your brand to succeed. That was probably my major mistake. My brand and even product have validity but the platform was not the right avenue for it. I'm working now on removing Amazon from the equation and will post on how that turns out. So far I'm optimistic about the outcome in salvaging my brand.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
How to build a company where the best ideas win

Thought this was interesting... Ray Dalio’s take. ...

“To be a successful trader one has to bet against the consensus and be right.”

“To be a successful entrepreneur one also has to bet against the consensus and be right.”

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
How to build a company where the best ideas win

Thought this was interesting... Ray Dalio’s take. ...

“To be a successful trader one has to bet against the consensus and be right.”

“To be a successful entrepreneur one also has to bet against the consensus and be right.”
I don’t like following the herd - too many assholes and BS.

(Just me being funny...)

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Ehh...don't really think amazon is "the best" place to start a brand. Amazon seems to have a commodiziting effect. It seems big brands were already big when they went on amazon. As in, they distinguished themselves from a commodity by branding off amazon making them resistant to 3rd party marketplace commodization.

I do see tons of brands on amazon and in my eyes most are generics even if they got their own label.

Some industries like high end fashion where their exclusivity is part of their value proposition, I would think get negative impact from amazon. They may increase their sales short term, but the long term brand value will decrease due to reduce exclusivity and ease of obtainment.

The best products in amazon I believe are functional physical products where branding isn't as important like fashion.

Don't know if commodizting or commodization are actually words. But you get the point.

Just my opinion.

You don't build a brand on Amazon. But it's dumb to not use that channel. When I launch a brand on Facebook, I link to my website. But guess how many people go to Amazon and search for my brand and buy it there? Don't you think there are a few to many? If this didn't happen, I wouldn't see a blip on my sales whenever I posted on Facebook.

Would those people have bought if they didn't find it on Amazon? I don't know. Amazon is convenience of not having to take out your credit card and just clicking a few buttons. Checking out on a brand new website sucks and takes so much more time.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
I like how a lot of the posts saying Amazon is not great, amazon is saturated, amazon is not a real business, amazon isn't a good place to start a brand - are from people that don't even have a sellercentral account.

For those who think amazon is too saturated, or you can't build a real business on amazon, take a look at the numbers my new brand did last month. This is a 6 month old company. And by the way, I don't have an amazon business, I have a business that sells on amazon. Show me one other platform that can bring me these numbers for my company in 6 months.

Imgur

I don't understand how anyone can say amazon is not a good place to start a physical product brand. You're either ignorant or completely naive.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I don't understand how anyone can say amazon is not a good place to start a physical product brand. You're either ignorant or completely naive.

They don’t like money.

I just launched a new company 2 weeks ago and it’s done $3k on Amazon with no ppc. I did $4k on my website.

So without Amazon would I have captured that extra $3k?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Just one more example because this happened yesterday.

Yesterday, I ran out of stock on one product on my website. Guess what happened? That one product spiked on Amazon in sales. So the natural thing that my customers did when my website was sold out was either Google it or go to Amazon to buy.

Think about how much you'd be missing out if you only sold on your website. How many people searched and found out about my company on Amazon and then bought on my website later? Who knows? But I can tell you the answer would be zero if you weren't on Amazon.

BNeumann

Navigating The Seas
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
335%
Nov 9, 2017
Global Nomad
So my question is, after you've made this awesome product that's ready for the world... are you not going to put in on Amazon?
Heck yeah I'm putting it on Amazon. But I went too deep depending on their entire ecosystem for my business which was my mistake. It didn't work as good as I wanted. And I don't think they are the only channel to use. They have a lot of people ready to buy, but also as previously mentioned the motivation for many is to find the cheapest option which commoditizes much. This did not work to my particular advantage. Lesson learned.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
For those who think amazon is too saturated, or you can't build a real business on amazon, take a look at the numbers my new brand did last month. This is a 6 month old company. And by the way, I don't have an amazon business, I have a business that sells on amazon. Show me one other platform that can bring me these numbers for my company in 6 months.

THIS is the kind of conviction and focus I LIKE!!!!

You have it figured out, and you are killing it, man!

I'm right behind you. Thanks for the screen shot, and, of course, your commentary.

I need a shot of confidence and your post came at precisely the perfect time.

Rep+

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Just one more example because this happened yesterday.

Yesterday, I ran out of stock on one product on my website. Guess what happened? That one product spiked on Amazon in sales. So the natural thing that my customers did when my website was sold out was either Google it or go to Amazon to buy.

Think about how much you'd be missing out if you only sold on your website. How many people searched and found out about my company on Amazon and then bought on my website later? Who knows? But I can tell you the answer would be zero if you weren't on Amazon.

Astute business management. Ninja selling. Way to ride that wave bro!

This is what separates the so-so managers from the pros!!

Rep+

WorldImperator

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
May 29, 2014
In my opinion problem is, that everybody now is using JS and is finding same products... how many same spatulas, flasks, ginders and cat scratchers can be listed and be profitable?

I had two products which I almost started there - from first I resigned, because initial investment of 10k was too much for, second was really with small profit.

Of course you will see everywhere success stories of single mother in depression with 10$ in pocket...
But if Amazon is so great, why Scott Voelker and many other succesfull businessmans are spending so much time on investing in podcasts and selling training? Are those gurus not gurus in real life to push their business to make millions per month...?

In my opinion, only expensive products (at least 8$ per piece from manufacturer) or invented by ourselves can give us good and long lasting business. We do not need to reinvent the wheel, but just making something better, and selling another same product of which 15 are already on price war on Amazon...

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Let me clear this up because everyone thinks I’m anti-amazon.

I would put it on Amazon.... Among MANY MANY other strategies.

Why? Because it’s EASY, out there, and products are expected to be there. That is also the downside. Would I pick apart Amazon’s algorithms, suck off customers for reviews, and try to game some advertising platform daily and call it MY business? No, because I don’t own the ecosystem.
This goes back to focusing on those things that you can control.

Tom Coffee

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 13, 2018
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
I have found in my businesses I have started that it requires a hell of a lot hard work and long hours to be able to make good money. Good money to me was over $500,000 a year gross.
When I started by first a business back in 1986. It took 2 years to do that my myself at first, I added people as I grew. I was in a service and sales business. I started with $3,000 cash and a 30,000 loan . It take a lot of time learning also. As you have to wear many hats when you start your business at first. I have used that money from that first business to build other businesses.
I had some of them fail. It is a constant learning curve in business. The market place changes quickly now days. You have to keep up and keep trying new things.

HyperX

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 24, 2018
USA
I like how a lot of the posts saying Amazon is not great, amazon is saturated, amazon is not a real business, amazon isn't a good place to start a brand - are from people that don't even have a sellercentral account.

Imgur

.....I need to figure out how to do this/ develop a product that's viable. Like most here are saying that generic spatulas etc don't sell. This leads me to ask if everyone is using JS how do you go about finding great products/niches to start with?

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
Selling on Amazon can be a way to make money, but there is still a lack of Control.

With over 2 million sellers worldwide, Jeff Bezos can still pull the plug anytime on your revenue stream if you are relying on Amazon for your Brand.

I too sell on Amazon and do fairly well. Anyone that attended the Summit saw my numbers.
But I don't sell more than 25% of my own Branded products on that marketplace.

Why?

Mainly because I don't like the idea of selling a product to someone that is not my customer.
They are Amazons. I, in reality am just a fulfillment center for Amazon's customer. I don't like giving up 15% to an outfit that I cannot retain as a customer, nor have the choice to decide whether to refund, or resend the product out, or to call and find out why they did not like the product.

I would much rather wholesale my own personal brand to others and let them deal with the headache. To me, it gives me more Control. I won't sell to a distributor unless they stock our product in a B&M. That way, I feel that they also have opportunities to market my Brand locally, which they seem to like.

BUT, I am satisfied to sell 2000 other products on Amazon that are not my own brand for the simple reason that I am ok with being part of the Big Yard Sale. I realize they are not my customer. I also realize that Amazons TOS can and has changed over the interim. "Changes to fee structure" is usually just a nice euphemism for fee increases. Again, a lack of Control.

I read somewhere that China sellers more than doubled in 2015 alone on Amazon. I see the handwriting on the wall. Amazon is courting them. Now, why would I want to work for someone that is working hard to build new competition for me?

I decided to put more effort and money in developing something that has greater Control, albeit websites, or vendors or B&M's.
I can service those customers.
I can show them other products.
I have the last say on refunds, resends, and upgrades.

Or not.

And in the meantime, take some money off the table and build something that clearly has better control for me.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Selling on Amazon can be a way to make money, but there is still a lack of Control.

With over 2 million sellers worldwide, Jeff Bezos can still pull the plug anytime on your revenue stream if you are relying on Amazon for your Brand.

I too sell on Amazon and do fairly well. Anyone that attended the Summit saw my numbers.
But I don't sell more than 25% of my own Branded products on that marketplace.

Why?

Mainly because I don't like the idea of selling a product to someone that is not my customer.
They are Amazons. I, in reality am just a fulfillment center for Amazon's customer. I don't like giving up 15% to an outfit that I cannot retain as a customer, nor have the choice to decide whether to refund, or resend the product out, or to call and find out why they did not like the product.

I would much rather wholesale my own personal brand to others and let them deal with the headache. To me, it gives me more Control. I won't sell to a distributor unless they stock our product in a B&M. That way, I feel that they also have opportunities to market my Brand locally, which they seem to like.

BUT, I am satisfied to sell 2000 other products on Amazon that are not my own brand for the simple reason that I am ok with being part of the Big Yard Sale. I realize they are not my customer. I also realize that Amazons TOS can and has changed over the interim. "Changes to fee structure" is usually just a nice euphemism for fee increases. Again, a lack of Control.

I read somewhere that China sellers more than doubled in 2015 alone on Amazon. I see the handwriting on the wall. Amazon is courting them. Now, why would I want to work for someone that is working hard to build new competition for me?

I decided to put more effort and money in developing something that has greater Control, albeit websites, or vendors or B&M's.
I can service those customers.
I can show them other products.
I have the last say on refunds, resends, and upgrades.

Or not.

And in the meantime, take some money off the table and build something that clearly has better control for me.
Bump...

More people should read this.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
How are you even comparing eBay and Amazon? I haven't seen one person building a "brand" on eBay.

That's the keyword people are missing out on when following these amazon courses and ecommerce courses. You think ON Gold Whey and Muscletech Whey are different? They're the same protein. The difference is BRANDING.

That's why 90% of the so-called "amazon gurus" and "amazon entrepreneurs" are failing and then they turn and blame the platform. The same platform that has helped REAL entrepreneurs sell 8 figure brands that they solely started on AMAZON. The difference between them and all the new guys? They INVESTED into their brands. They created real BRANDS. They DID NOT put up a generic silicone spatula and call it a day as they went lambo shopping.

I still can't believe how some people are calling amazon and the whole physical product/consumer product industry "dead" or "not sustainable" anymore. That's far from the truth. A physical product brand/business is the FASTEST way to financial freedom and it will ALWAYS be that way. And the BEST way to launch that brand/business is and will be for a long time, AMAZON.
I agree that investing in your brand is vital to success.

Too many people think they have invested in their brand simply by following the advice of countless "experts" who tell them to private label by "slapping on a label". Some are even worse and use the term "sticker" in place of label.

The term "Private Labeling" is grossly misused and misunderstood. Most often it is taken to mean putting a label on a generic product so that people will know that it's yours, not your competitor's.

That will do nothing towards building a brand. At best they will identify your product, but brand recognition will be practically non-existent.

Thought needs to be given to the total marketing concept not just advertising. This means brand name, slogan or motto, the color scheme and its consistent use, the logo, label or product marking method, packaging that can sell as well as or in same cases even better than the label, font types and their proper use - for example so many people seem unaware that ALL CAPITAL LETTERS ARE HARD TO READ AND TURN MANY PROSPECTS OFF.

After all that, if your total marketing concept has not included product sourcing and all logistics from that point to your customer's door, plus a generous return/refund policy, you won't have a lasting brand.

I know that the approach I have outlined has worked extremely well for me - importing business franchised in 4 countries and operating for over 20 years - but others might like to contribute ideas on what else should be covered.

Walter
P.S. Definitely start with Amazon if it suits your marketing plan, but don't forget to set up your own eCommerce store in tandem.

Vadim26

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Nov 23, 2018
Vancouver, BC.
So many golden nuggets in one thread shared by real experts

Bumping it up so newbies like me could also learn and not follow generic BS advice "amazon lemmings" teach

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...