The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The back injury that saved my life

Daniel Ekdahl

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Apr 3, 2022
Greetings! My name is Daniel. I’m a registered nurse of 12 years. A few years ago I landed my “dream job” in a coveted role as break relief nurse. I was a hero everywhere I went. Infinite tasks but minimal responsibility. I loved helping my fellow healthcare workers and patients alike. It was Slowlane and I knew it, but I was happy with my return of time, 3 for 4, the pay was good at about $8k a month, and the hospital offers fantastic health insurance. I felt secure. About a year living the “dream” I ruptured a disc in my back. Ruh roh! In a single day I went from dream job to cant do the job. And golly did I try. I’ve done all the yoga, PT, personal trainers, chiropractors, everything short of opioids and a highly ineffectual surgical option. I threw my back out and had to relearn how to walk 3 more times in two years. I lost multiple positions of decreasing physical demand at the hospital, and nearly lost that “great” health insurance almost as many times. A year ago, I was given another opportunity in the form a “work from home” position at the same hospital. Now I am fighting insurance denials and managing regulatory audits. With my feet up in a recliner and my laptop I was ready to battle evil parasitic Fortune 500 insurance companies! I was finally safe again, or so I thought. While it doesn’t fill my soul like helping patients directly, the challenge has been a thrill. I was put in charge of a fractured and under experienced department. A year in and it’s running like a dream compared to when I stepped up. However, to let my nerd flag fly a little, when my character was made, I got a -3 in Constitution, but I play like a Tank. I work hard, to the point of injury, and I keep failing my CON saves. This was no exception. I’ve been struggling with tendinitis and carpal tunnel for months now. I’ve radically changed my lifestyle, again, to heal. All the while continuing to aggravate my injury at work, writing appeals to bring in millions for someone else. I finally realized (after how many injuries?) THIS IS NOT SECURE! If I can’t work, my income ceases to a halt. I needed a massive change. And then, as “luck” would have it, a friend told me they were reading MFL and how it talks about building systems that generate passive income. That’s what I needed to hear at the exact right moment. I just finished the book and I have Fastlane dreams and plans. I had already started writing a book, which was on my bucket list, but now I want to quit my job and be a writer. If I’m gonna work my tendons until they melt, it’s going to be for my own dreams gosh darn it! I have obligations at home, but I know with the lifestyle adjustments I have made I can put in the extra time to build my own brand so I can finally stop badging in and out 5 days a week. So that’s a little about who I am. It’s an honor to be here, and I’m hungry to learn. Cheers!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome! Sorry to hear about the health issues, those always seem to put things in perspective.

Daniel Ekdahl

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Apr 3, 2022
Welcome! Sorry to hear about the health issues, those always seem to put things in perspective.
Thank you! My health issues are natural consequences to reckless behavior, inattention to detail, and not learning from mistakes in a timely manner. Besides, without them I wouldn’t be here on this path right now. I appreciate your welcome and response.

IronyIsTacky

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Apr 6, 2022
My guy, this is flipping tragic. Goddamn, best of luck going forward

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Daniel Ekdahl

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Apr 3, 2022
My guy, this is flipping tragic. Goddamn, best of luck going forward
Dohh, I wasn’t going for tragic. Determined more like, and slow to learn. My injuries were directly related to reckless behavior, I own that. And it took me this whole journey to realize that the slowlane isn’t secure. I probably wouldn’t have read MJ’s book if I had smooth sailing. I’m truly grateful my journey has brought me right where I am.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...