The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

HELP!!! My website got Flagged by Google for Spam Techniques

Marketing, social media, advertising

Ruben5

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1%
Jul 27, 2011
Dallas
I just barely finished creating my new website so I paid $100 for google ads and then I got an email saying I cant use google ads and I am no longer in there google search due to "Spam Techniques"... The problem is I dont know what Im doing wrong! I checked google web master tools and I dont have any meliciouse viruses in my website so Im guessing it has to be the design or banners in my website.. http://www.mystudyguides.com/ or maybe its because of my sales page http://www.mystudyguides.com/asvab-study-guide-walkthrough/ I wish I knew for sure before I start making a bunch of changes...

In googles email they told me to look at http://support.google.com/adwordspo...0879&guide=1308243&page=guide.cs&answer=50424 for rules, etc..

Sorry for the long paragraph is just I worked extemely hard to provide a good website and to be rejected by google is very upsetting! Please help!

Thanks,
Ruben

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
Hey Ruben,

There is no easy way to say this, but you can almost forget about bringing the site back into the google search engine :(

Google is cracking down hard on the type of site you made and once you get banned, it's very hard to come back from it.

I looked through your site a bit and instantly noticed very big red flags in terms of what Google hates:

1. Stuffing of keywords to try and increase search engine rankings. ASVAB is on the page probably 100 times lol. This is a big no-no especially since their recent update was specifically targeting over-optimized sites.

2. Above the fold ads: The first thing I see when I get onto your home page is a huge ad that takes up almost the whole page. Google has explicitly said that they will not tolerate this.

3. Duplicate Content: Right underneath your ad(on the front page), you have 2 identical articles. Not only that but you have that same article showing up yet for a 3rd time when you scroll down even further. Duplicate content has been a big no-no for a long time with Google (perhaps you didn't realize you had 3 identical articles showing?) -> I am referring to the ASVAB article btw

Hope that clarifies why you got the 3rd degree from Google, but at least it's a learning experience. I would focus on getting traffic from other sources now (i.e. putting up banners on niche sites that are relevant to your product, video marketing etc.)

If anything is unclear, let me know and I can clarify.

Have a good one,

The-Truth

Ruben5

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1%
Jul 27, 2011
Dallas
Thanks I really appreciate your help! At least now I know what needs to be fixed... A google representitive told me if i fix the issues my website can then qualify... On the homepage should I take the banner off completely??? And what about the sales page? Should I take that off as well? ASVAB Study Guide | mystudyguides.com

Thanks,
Ruben

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
Yeah you might get your adwords campaign running, but like I said earlier, for SEO, they will make you go through hell to rank again.

Do not take the banner of completely, rather make it smaller and have an opt-in box instead of a link to the sales page(which I will get to in a second)

Here's exactly how I would approach this:

1. Have a smaller banner at the top and have it promise 1 thing that the visitor can use to improve their ASVAB results.

2. After they opt-in, send them an e-mail telling them the one tip they can use IMMEDIATELY.

3. Send a few more e-mails with pointers and tips and grow your relationship with the visitor.

4. Only now would I tell them about your product and send them the sales page link through e-mail.

5. I would also change the sales page for the following reasons:

- It contradicts itself ( you say "The #1 ASVAB study guide" at the top and then further down the sales page you say "one of the best ASVAB guides") - which one is it? is it the best or one of the best? If i were a customer I would notice things like this

- The grammar is off and it's poorly written. (i.e. get this study guide .... AND what more? Passing in the first attempt is a cake walk now!!) - How is this more? Isn't the purpose of your guide to help me pass after I buy your product? Why would a visitor buy the guide if it didn't promise to help them pass right after buying it?

- you say that the visitor would receive ASVAB practice tests in the guide and then you say that as a bonus you also get practice questions? - aren't practice tests, practice questions?

- Your 60 day guarantee has grammatical problems "then you will receive a full refund, NO HASSLE refund for your investment" - You told me the same thing twice in one sentence

- you closing statement has poor grammar and also a spelling mistake. That is definitely not something that would convince your customers to click the buy button "Now that you know there are no risk involved why waiste another minute!"

I sense that English may not be your first language (correct me if I am wrong), but either way have someone proof read your work as it will only help your cause.

Also, you said you put a lot of work into this (and you may have), but it comes of sloppy from a visitors perspective.

I hope that helps you and when you redo the site, do let us know :)

Regards,

The-Truth

Thanks I really appreciate your help! At least now I know what needs to be fixed... A google representitive told me if i fix the issues my website can then qualify... On the homepage should I take the banner off completely??? And what about the sales page? Should I take that off as well? ASVAB Study Guide | mystudyguides.com

Thanks,
Ruben

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
Great tips The-Truth! Rep++

From an SEO perspective though, would you agree that he's better off rebuilding his site on a new domain, since this one's been deindexed? Or would you advise him to make the changes on the current site and hammer it with tons of links?

Just curious as to what your thoughts are on this, thanks.

Ruben5

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1%
Jul 27, 2011
Dallas
Thanks I really appreciate your advice! To be honest I hired a writer from India to write my sales page... I should of proof read it first! Idk know what I was thinking... Great advice.. Im try to fix everything but now Im starting to think maybe I should transfer my website to another domain???

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
Great tips The-Truth! Rep++

From an SEO perspective though, would you agree that he's better off rebuilding his site on a new domain, since this one's been deindexed? Or would you advise him to make the changes on the current site and hammer it with tons of links?

Just curious as to what your thoughts are on this, thanks.

Yeah at this point I don't see the site coming back from the dead. Nor do I think hammering links would help either way as I am going to assume this site is very new anyway, thus piling more odds against it's success even further. Also, since it's already been banned, Google will know what he is trying to do lol

So yes, I would agree with you and say that a new domain would be his best option :)

Thanks I really appreciate your advice! To be honest I hired a writer from India to write my sales page... I should of proof read it first! Idk know what I was thinking... Great advice.. Im try to fix everything but now Im starting to think maybe I should transfer my website to another domain???

Yeah np, I think it's probably wise to go with a new domain.

That being said, if you aren't going to be adding any other study guides, I would recommend putting your keyword into the domain name. This would give you a boost in the search engines if you are looking to utilize SEO at all, that is.

I looked at your competition with regards to SEO and it is quite competitive up there. I would analyze your plan of attack before trying to compete because #1 and #2 for your keyword might almost be impossible to beat in the rankings.

Good luck and of course let us know how it goes!

The-Truth

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
You can easily come back from that. The problem is, judging by the quality of the initial site, and not even proof reading the copy that was written for $10... I dont feel like the OP cares enough about the site o even put the effort in. You would essentially have to re-do the whole thing, and even then, it just looks like a sales page for some e-book. There is no value here, so there is no real point

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
They say, "It is better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission."

I don't think this quote applies to Google...

Ruben5

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1%
Jul 27, 2011
Dallas
Well I designed a new banner and updated the layout/design of my website and I took off a ton of keywords and finally I hired an American writer to proof read my website and add new content so I think im about ready to reapply with google.. I decided Im going to keep this website and not change my domain..

1 Its a pain in the a$$ to move my website to another domain..
2) Google will probably know I moved my website based on the content and I dont want to risk getting in trouble with them again..

Well I guess we see how it goes.. Ill let ya know..

Thanks,
Ruben

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 18, 2012
In my opinion, get your website checked for any malicious code present on it. There could be any unwanted script present due to which Google would have flagged the URL from your website.
Get the website checked by your web administrator for any malware and once you fix it, you could ask Adwords to review the website again so that your ads start their normal delivery.

Ruben5

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1%
Jul 27, 2011
Dallas

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012

Tried that before through e-lance for an e-zine article and it was one of the worst written articles I had ever seen. I will never waste money like that again. I am far from a pro copywriter but what I got was some slarbage (slop and garbage).:smx8:

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
Check out ASVAB Paragraph Comprehension Practice Questions | mystudyguides.com. You'll see the answers given in each example question don't flange up with the question. For instance, you say Answer C is correct, but you've given options 1 thru 4 for multiple choice. To me, that raises the question of whether this is original content or re-hashed content. Perhaps your articles are respun versions found elsewhere? That might be reason for Google to tank the site.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.