The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Growing an MMA news channel on YouTube

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Hey Timmy, just stopping by to tell you that this is a very, very solid idea and I'm sure you'll grow this into something big if you stay consistent. I love these types of businesses because there's little guesswork here. If you keep producing content and improving it, you'll grow this for sure into a proper business.

Also, the parrot sounds in the background in your live reaction video made me miss Australia. No country in the world has such uniquely loud (and sometimes so annoying lol) bird life.

As for SEO, I suggest the following:
  • Use surferseo.com to avoid guesswork and write the most optimized articles possible. It's a bit expensive but if you plan to publish many posts, it'll be worth it.
  • lowfruits.io is a really, really powerful keyword research tool for long tail keywords which would be the easiest for you to rank for now.
  • You use many photos of fighters in your articles. Make sure they come from a legit stock site as there are people who may want to sue you (or UFC may tell you to take these down).
  • Using that many photos but not writing that much content makes it hard to read it. Sometimes there's a photo, one line of text, and another photo. It makes it very easy to miss the text and it makes for a clunky reading experience.
  • Keep your permalinks short and use the same keyword for the permalink as in H1 (the main one you want to target). For example, you have campcombat.com/mmanews/discover-the-greatest-ufc-fighter-of-all-time. If you're targeting "best UFC fighter of all time" then this should be in your permalink. It should be https://www.campcombat.com/best-ufc-fighter-of-all-time. By the way, this article shouldn't be under MMA news but somewhere else.
  • Remove the category from your permalinks. No need to have "mmanews" in the URL. Keep your URLs clean and short.
  • Improve your About page. Add more content (your backstory, qualifications, etc.), your picture, and your name. This is one of the signals for Google that you're an authority.
  • Use proper formatting and a structure that makes it easy to read your articles. This article is an example of a bad structure that makes me want to leave right away: Shoulder Injuries in MMA: Preventing Issues and Enhancing Performance — Camp Combat Use headlines, short paragraphs, put important things in bold, use bullet points (you used them here so that's good), add some images.
  • On your newsletter sign-up page (Nutrition and injury prevention ebook — Camp Combat) I wouldn't ask for the last name. It gives you nothing valuable but will lower your opt-in rate.
  • Set up a custom homepage introducing your brand, yourself, and showcasing your best articles. If a user lands on a random archive page as the homepage, it doesn't make for a nice browsing experience and may prompt them to leave.
  • I know that's a lot of work but I would change your theme to a nicer one. This one is very amateur and doesn't look good. I highly recommend Kadence which gives you starter pages that are easy to customize.

Also, not sure if that's just on my end but this shows up on your homepage before main content (the div thing):

m.png

Also, capitalize titles in meta titles as they don't show up like that:

1690701546375.png

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Hi everyone, how are we all going today?

A bit of context on where I am at with this channel, and how I got here.

I was doing video editing some time ago for a large YouTube channel in the Finance News Niche. The Channel is quite large and last time I checked has 200,000 subscribers at time of writing. I still have a relationship with the guy who runs the channel, and we chat quite often.

Long story short: It was a good time for money trade in the beginning for me, things changed, his direction changed, and it wasn't worth it for me anymore. I couldn't/wasn't all that committed in attempting to gain more clients, as to be honest I kind of hate editing anyway. I would prefer to do it for myself If I am going to do it at all. But I learned some things while doing the work.

If I do need cash desperately, that door is always open for me to return which is nice. I just have zero desire to do things that aren't working for me, or in my best interests, and it doesn't serve a purpose for me at the moment.

I haven't posted in a while, but thought I would share my little youtube endeavour with you guys and girls as it's been a while!

I have been a big fan of Mixed Martial Arts for a number of years now, and have also trained myself for many years now also.
I consume MMA related content on Youtube myself, and thought....

Why not try to grow my own channel on the platform aswell?

I at least have some experience editing videos, I haven't talked on camera in a while showing my face, but it shouldn't take me that long to get used to it again? as you could expect, it started rough people, real rough lol.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OScJJqv_e_4&t=65s

Funny how at the time I thought it wasn't that bad! As you can see the lighting and video quality isn't exactly great. But I pushed on.

One week later I released this, and several other videos in-between:
I had seen some improvements by this point, but kept note of when I made dumb facial expressions, Poor editing choices etc.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z08EbLOKVE&t=30s

This video below is where I Put a bit more effort into the video editing. But what's funny is, I don't think it's making that much of a difference at this point in time in regards to viewer retention. Or if it is, I certainly can't tell.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCyA6As2J18&t=18s

All I am doing right now is trying to improve one thing every video, and I have put more out after the one above aswell, just trying different things than before. It can still be a bit clunky at times as i'm trying new things that I haven't done before with editing and filming. But that's alright as I am actually having fun with this.

I am creating what I believe is Search optimized content at the minute, aswell as a bit of copying what other big channels have done in certain instances.

I am still thinking of a way that can make my channel stand out compared to others in this niche. I have a notepad of some of the other channels in this niche that do quite well in regards to talking head videos, what I can realistically compete with them on right now, or do better, and things I can't.

Some large channels I think absolutely suck aswell, and if they can do it and get big, I am sure with enough time I can aswell.

I guess they have found the people that think they don't suck?

Any advice or brutal honesty is appreciated, as I am looking to make improvements all the time. I will keep making the content until i get sick of youtube and no longer enjoy making the videos. I think that will take a long time however.
I think that's because of the passion I have for the sport, the knowledge I have of Mixed Martial Arts also comes into play, and the fact I love talking crap about it.

I think it's important for youtube to create content you care about as people will be able to see through it if you are doing it for the wrong reasons, and you won't stick with it if you have no viewers either. Well, I wouldn't.

But we will see what happens, either this goes somewhere or the thread dies.

Lets find out together.

Thanks for reading.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
so i just made money from my youtube channel for the first time just now.
Someone clicked on my affiliate link in my description and bought some BJJ gear with it.

meme it.jpg

Not much to update other than my views have been all over the place the last few days. Some hits and some misses but it's all part of the game I think.

I now just need to hit the subscriber requirement to be monetized, and it's so close now, but becoming more frustrating due to this.

But how could i stop now? Would be a bit silly to stop at this point.

So much upside and no downside.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I am seeing a very large uptick in overall views, subscribers and engagement.

It took me almost 3 months to reach 100 subscribers, and in the last week it took off very quickly.

I now sit at 220 subscribers and the video I did yesterday has got almost 11,000 views!

This is it here
View: https://youtu.be/Pl2cf_nObUg

This one that I did last night now already sits at over 1000 views.

View: https://youtu.be/_oPZsnXlP-w

I tried a call to action to my newsletter in this video to see how that goes in getting people on my email list.

Most videos get over 1000 views at least now.

I feel it's only a matter of time now until I get monetized.

Momentum is building, and it now feels like I'm pushing a snowball down a hill.

Last edited:

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
It was 20 days since my last youtube video as I was working on the website, and writing articles so it was overdue.

I gave my thoughts on UFC 292 which is an instant reaction video:

Website promo is at: 4:53
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojf8-QLgzQ0

I promoted my website in the video to drive website visitors, maybe get a sale, and get some email sign-ups.
I can already tell it needs work, but I will get better at promoting it, it's too small on the screen I think.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Someone else in real life recognized me yesterday from my youtube channel. We were doing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, just sparring, and he said he found me on there when he was searching for MMA news.

He said I should create more videos as they are very high quality. I just explained that I love youtube, and I haven't been posting as much lately as I have been working on my website, etc.

It's super cool that people recognize me in my day-to-day life when I have never told anyone about my channel. Youtube has so much value.

It's all organic.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I have had a couple more subscribers to my newsletter over the last week, so that is on an uptrend, albeit slowly.

I just send things to them so far that are relevant to what I am doing in my own training, things that I have learnt and experienced that they might find interesting.

My most recent email went into how I will have to spend time off the mats due to surgery, and how I will be making use of my time by teaching kids BJJ at my martial arts school with my coach.

I went over in my newsletter how this has helped me understand positions better in the sport, and expanded my knowledge since I have started teaching. etc.

What's good about having sent out a few emails already, is that once new people hit my subscriber list, I just send them one of the older newsletters I posted, as to them it's fresh.

My next video for the channel is taking the longest.

It is a documentary style of video on the title run of Alexander Volkanovski in the featherweight division. I have recorded a fair bit of it and edited a fair bit so far, but it isn;'t close to complete.

I am on night shift for the next 3 days at work at the moment, and tonight I have been writing the rest of the script in my free time so that all i have to do when i go home is hit record.

Getting paid to work on my own stuff is a pretty cool perk of my job.

Everyone else is watching movies here atm, and I am making them.

Team producer.

Last edited:

Cameraman

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Sep 25, 2021
UK
Probably not, I already thought of changing it, to be honest.
Been thinking about it today.
Websites are like life. You need to keep refining them.
You will always spot things that need to be changed and improved - at least that's what my wife says about me.

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Aug 8, 2021
you are handsome guy, i will watch your videos.

One critique on your car video is that to make sure to level out the audio, the left channel is noticeably muffled and for an audiophile like me it is quite noticeable and hard to listen to on a stereo output system like headphones. Video editing softwares like Davinci Resolve (which i recommend, and its free) has built in audio mixing and it can be done very easily (in 30 seconds) especially video like this where the mic location is the culprit and therefore the balancing only needs one tweak (vs a video that has multiple audio input sources).

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I did them in the past, making sure to ask them to reply. Loads of people were shocked that I'd sent a personal video/email.

I'd say something like the below:

Hi Bob,

Thanks for signing up to my new newsletter <name of newsletter>.

I'm super curious how you found out about it and what you'd like me to write about.

Just reply and let me know!

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
It's been very busy despite producing less videos for the channel as of late.

Much has been being worked on behind the scenes.

I have my own website now, so far it's my free ebook offer aswell as a helpful article I wrote on maintaining shoulder health whilst doing martial arts that is based on my own experience. I am only doing and creating things that I think will help people or entertain them. Some MMA news articles are on the site also.

I had a nightmare of a time trying to set up AWS with squarspace and chose a different email marketing alternative that I'm happy with and that's mostly dialled in now, so I'm happy with that being 90% done.

A funny thing happened today when I trained BJJ at my local gym. Someone recognized me from my youtube channel and started talking to me about it.

He said my channel is good and mentioned i had over 73,000 views on a video. He said to keep going, that it's going good. I haven't told anyone at my gym about my channel BTW. This was completely organic

As @Andy Black said: "No pressure down the gym then, now you're a celebrity."

Latest content isn't getting much views, I think due to not many exciting things happening atm in MMA.

So I'll pivot for a week or so and make MMA content that's a bit different but still in my niche.

Last edited:

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I just posted another video, but will wait a couple of days to share it here as I like it to be shown to the right audience first to gauge things.

One real positive of this model is something that I didn't consider before, is that I have already been recognized once in real life from the channel when training BJJ. These kind of interactions will only increase over time as I get more popular in my niche.

People will start asking questions about what I do, then I just casually mention what I do and what products I have etc.

Yes it's an online business model, but it translates to the real world quite well for me considering i train this stuff all the time.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
So I think the websites just about done, apart from my email opt in backend.

301 redirected the crap out of it all as well.

Gonna slow right down these next couple of weeks, go a bit slower.

Focus on my health and fitness a bit more.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
My page speed is now up to 60 in page speed insights on mobiles, gtmetrics it's at 100, or A+...

Whatever that means.

Good enough. It's nothing that I need to do now.

It won't move the needle. But writing more articles and making more videos will.

About time I get back to that I think.

Been action faking hard today lol.

All of my MMA articles need a complete makeover. But that's OK, I had to start somewhere.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
A little late to the thread and drama.

The complete loss of traffic shows a complete loss of Google trust. Some possible reasons:

1. You make health recommendations (supplement, diet). This may have triggered the YMYL algo and your site was determined to not have enough expertise, authority, or trust to be doing that.

Solution: delete (pause) those articles and wait up to 6 months for the next core update to rescore your website. If I am right, your other rankings will pop back up as normal. You aren't doing anything anyways with the blog, might as well give this a shot.

Also, you are selling stuff, but you have no return policy nor is there an easy way to get a hold of you. Even if your return policy is "We offer no refunds" create the page and say that. And create a contact us page.

Do those 3 things and let the site sit for the next several months...

2. If that doesn't work, other possible reasons for a complete site-wide drop:
  • Too much affiliate stuff too soon (not likely, but some of these pages have a lot of affiliate links))
  • Issue with Google Users bouncing too fast. Check historic analytics data for dwell time and bounce rate. If users hate your site, Google ain't going to love it
  • Poor links pointing to your site
  • Poor links pointing away from your site
  • Site too slow
  • You maybe got hacked (Google would give an alert about this)
On that second to last point, your speed tests came back fast enough, but as I browsed your site, every 5th page or so gave me a "hang" to where it took 7 seconds on desktop or as long as 15 second on mobile (I counted, so not exact) load time. There is something fishy...

And about the bounce rate, honestly, I found your article to be confusingly organized, and the content to be more opinion based than truly in depth. You do cite sources, but the sources cited are often (what I assume) are random blogs (if they are authoritative I never heard of them, but I also don't follow the space".

Or for example, look at the "case study" on this page The 6 Best MMA Supplements For Recovery

It's a few paragraphs about a guy who talked to a supposed expert about a product. There are no quotes. No citations. That's not actually how a case study works. That's just a random story about a guy.

A lot of your content relies on personal experience, and that's better than nothing, but your about page lists you a simply a fan and the writing could use a dash more credibility imo. No offense, you might really know your stuff, but personally, I might just bounce and find a more authoritative blogger.

Your videos are solid though. Love those.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Hi everyone, how are we all going today?

A bit of context on where I am at with this channel, and how I got here.

I was doing video editing some time ago for a large YouTube channel in the Finance News Niche. The Channel is quite large and last time I checked has 200,000 subscribers at time of writing. I still have a relationship with the guy who runs the channel, and we chat quite often.

Long story short: It was a good time for money trade in the beginning for me, things changed, his direction changed, and it wasn't worth it for me anymore. I couldn't/wasn't all that committed in attempting to gain more clients, as to be honest I kind of hate editing anyway. I would prefer to do it for myself If I am going to do it at all. But I learned some things while doing the work.

If I do need cash desperately, that door is always open for me to return which is nice. I just have zero desire to do things that aren't working for me, or in my best interests, and it doesn't serve a purpose for me at the moment.

I haven't posted in a while, but thought I would share my little youtube endeavour with you guys and girls as it's been a while!

I have been a big fan of Mixed Martial Arts for a number of years now, and have also trained myself for many years now also.
I consume MMA related content on Youtube myself, and thought....

Why not try to grow my own channel on the platform aswell?

I at least have some experience editing videos, I haven't talked on camera in a while showing my face, but it shouldn't take me that long to get used to it again? as you could expect, it started rough people, real rough lol.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OScJJqv_e_4&t=65s

Funny how at the time I thought it wasn't that bad! As you can see the lighting and video quality isn't exactly great. But I pushed on.

One week later I released this, and several other videos in-between:
I had seen some improvements by this point, but kept note of when I made dumb facial expressions, Poor editing choices etc.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z08EbLOKVE&t=30s

This video below is where I Put a bit more effort into the video editing. But what's funny is, I don't think it's making that much of a difference at this point in time in regards to viewer retention. Or if it is, I certainly can't tell.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCyA6As2J18&t=18s

All I am doing right now is trying to improve one thing every video, and I have put more out after the one above aswell, just trying different things than before. It can still be a bit clunky at times as i'm trying new things that I haven't done before with editing and filming. But that's alright as I am actually having fun with this.

I am creating what I believe is Search optimized content at the minute, aswell as a bit of copying what other big channels have done in certain instances.

I am still thinking of a way that can make my channel stand out compared to others in this niche. I have a notepad of some of the other channels in this niche that do quite well in regards to talking head videos, what I can realistically compete with them on right now, or do better, and things I can't.

Some large channels I think absolutely suck aswell, and if they can do it and get big, I am sure with enough time I can aswell.

I guess they have found the people that think they don't suck?

Any advice or brutal honesty is appreciated, as I am looking to make improvements all the time. I will keep making the content until i get sick of youtube and no longer enjoy making the videos. I think that will take a long time however.
I think that's because of the passion I have for the sport, the knowledge I have of Mixed Martial Arts also comes into play, and the fact I love talking crap about it.

I think it's important for youtube to create content you care about as people will be able to see through it if you are doing it for the wrong reasons, and you won't stick with it if you have no viewers either. Well, I wouldn't.

But we will see what happens, either this goes somewhere or the thread dies.

Lets find out together.

Thanks for reading.
Congratulations on getting started. My observations:

I am not your audience, so I have not viewed a lot of MMA videos for comparison. No comment on your content.

I don't see that you are using keywords or tags on your videos. Why not?

There are several good YT channels to watch to learn how to launch fine tune a new YT channel.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U_IH7ZQbpo

I use TubeBuddy to analyze and optimize my YT channel. I can also see some analytics of other videos and channels. I also look at social blade to see what other channels are doing.

Good luck.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
So I took @James Klymus advice and started using my phone to record the videos.

i also got a new light for the background of my videos. The studio is a work in progress at the moment. I have a photo coming from displate which does metal posters to add that to the studio aswell, so that should arrive soon. This should make it more visually interesting.

I've also played around with some new effects for video editing.

My latest video that I published last night has taken off the most. IT has gotten more views and alot more quickly. (Compared to the others, this is averaging 5 views per hour at the moment)

View: https://youtu.be/3SAhBLqHBfQ

I don't know what to attribute this to as of yet, but it's an ok video I guess.

I have another one set to be released in a couple of hours also. Lets see how that goes.

The video below that is out soon, I increased the frames per second once it was edited. I am playing a delicate game at the moment, as when I do increase the frames per second, the video comes out to ''smooth'' looking and unnatural.

So we will see how this one looks for those following along. Let me know if you notice any significant difference to the one above.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbWswKKobUQ

Overall I'm happy to see: improvements being made, and I thank you all for your feedback, and welcome any more you may have for me.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I was wondering what you guys think of my landing page for email sign ups!

This is it here
MMA Fight Talk

I havent got any subscribers yet, I don't know if its too early to say if its not working or not. Maybe I should run with it for a few weeks and see how it goes.

Just having a bit of a creative brain fart, do any of you have any suggestions for me or ideas to improve this?
Remove a load of words. If you were to have one sentence what would it be? Maybe something like "Get the latest news and fight analysis straight to your inbox"

The section where people enter their email is hard to read. Maybe have it white?

Maybe ask for their first name too, that way you can send your first few subscribers a video welcome email and use their name.

Imagine people don't read the blurb on the page and just go to the button. What should it read then? Something like "Signup to the newsletter" maybe?

Change the button colour to match the red in your brand colours.

Screenshot_20230518-072026_Chrome.jpg

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I will also add, that I have found great value in replying to nearly all of the people that comment on my videos.
(unless they are angry trolls, or giving me abuse)

People talk back to me, I like comments, and they remember it. A few times I have gotten subscribers by just engaging with their comment and having a chat.

For people that don't subscribe, they remember you anyway and you might get them as a subscriber the next video of yours they watch.

Now obviously you can't keep this up as a really big channel. But if you dont have a channel that just explodes out of the gate, I can't see it hurting.

Helps build a relationship more with your audience.
"Do things that don't scale." (Paul Graham)

I do this too. Get into conversation with people while you're a small enough channel to do so. Those initial subscribers are often your diehard fans, and the most likely to share your content and give constructive feedback.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Update on the channel:
3800 watch hours, I am about to hit the monetization requirements that sits at 4000 watch hours for this.
640 subscribers, 360 away from the 1000 short term goal.

This video also just got me my first email subscriber, so my marketing is working on getting email sign ups!
(For those interested, the lead magnet I am using starts at 4:26)
View: https://youtu.be/pYA7soW7bHA

I will take @Lex DeVille advice for the next video and put the marketing for it more to the front end of the video to see if that produces more sign ups. I think it will, as more people are watching closer to the beginning, so i will see how this effects the overall retention and report back to you all.

Happy with how it's going at the minute. I will start building an email sequence once i have figured the best way to get a predictable consistent drip of new email subscribers with my lead magnet.

Cameraman

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Sep 25, 2021
UK
I have filtered all of my videos that have 3000 + views on my channel and will try make similar or ''on the nose'' content to this moving forward and just assess what happens.

I kind of want to get a feel for a different style of video aswell, so i will try that out also and see how people respond.
That's a popular strategy - do more of what works. It helps YouTube push your channel more. The downside is you can become pigeon-holed in a niche you don't like making videos in a style you don't want.

My channel suffers from low numbers because it covers a broad niche and I switch subjects a lot within that niche. If you look at my competitors they tend to cover a small part of what I do and grow faster. While growing my channel is difficult, that's not my strategy (I tried it and found it too stressful). I want to create "evergreen" content that ranks well in search and allows people to discover and buy my products. This leads to a steady but not dramatic growth of new customers.

Coming up with a strategy to achieve your end goal is important. Picking the right end goal is equally important.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
In this video I tried to recreate the same success in my prior ''path to victory'' video that got over 5000 views.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxJiLgtGS9w

If I would change anything it would probably be the promotion towards the end of the video. I feel it's a bit too much, so I will change it up next time.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
So I hit it pretty hard and released 5 videos within 21 hours.

Update:
received_808338567331399.jpeg
Trolling the trolls

These videos aren't doing too bad some have between 1-2.5k views.

With the 5 videos, I made them tie into each other to promote binge watching.

I succeeded somewhat, but I haven't seen a massive explosion.

The video quality wasn't the best on a few as I had to record at night time with no natural light.

i think this definitely hurt their performance.

But if I find time to film and I have to do it at night, that's what will happen.

You have to use the time you have when you have it.

Just got to 700 subscribers.
Almost there.

Last edited:

Cameraman

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Sep 25, 2021
UK
So I hit it pretty hard and released 5 videos within 21 hours.

Update:
View attachment 50037
Trolling the trolls

These videos aren't doing too bad some have between 1-2.5k views.

With the 5 videos, I made them tie into each other to promote binge watching.

I succeeded somewhat, but I haven't seen a massive explosion.

The video quality wasn't the best on a few as I had to record at night time with no natural light.

i think this definitely hurt their performance.

But if I find time to film and I have to do it at night, that's what will happen.

You have to use the time you have when you have it.

Just got to 700 subscribers.
Almost there.
Great progress - I know you say "Trolling the Trolls" but to me it looks like banter between fans and is a good thing.

I like your approach of tying in the videos to encourage binge-watching. I hope this succeeds.

If you are going to be filming at night in low light, make a feature out of it. Get a backdrop that looks like an empty stadium with a spotlight on the ring. Darken your own room to blend in and get a spotlight on your face. You should be able to make it look like you are in a box in the stadium for your recording.

Don't expect the videos and channel to blow up - I know I keep saying it. It's just that people become disappointed when it doesn't happen and they give up. Yes, there is an algorithm but it's only responding to people's behaviour.

When YouTubers say they want to get the algorithm to love them they have it backwards. It's people who need to love you and your aim should be to encourage word of mouth and sharing. When YouTube sees that it will kick in and promote you more. Give people something to talk about.

Sorry if I sound like I'm preaching, that's not my intention.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
It's been a while since I have made an update!

So it had been 11 days since I last posted a video, but I have been working on the website, learning a thing or two about SEO. I have created a spreadsheet of keywords to write articles about. Written a few articles also.

I am targeting evergreen search terms which is the opposite of what my youtube channel is.

I am targeting information seeker search terms with my articles, and I have a few buyer search terms in mind aswell.
Things that I should be able to rank for within a couple of months, so I will see how that plays out for me.

I have updated the website, made some changes to make it more appealing to people, aswell as compressed image files so that it doesn't get really slow. This SEO thing, and page speed stuff is all new to me but I am miles ahead of the knowledge I had just over a week ago.

I also emailed a bjj podcast to see if they wanted to share some backlinks for SEO purposes as an article of theirs and mine tie in together well. I also asked them to come train if they are in my area and we can have a roll.

Due to my content not having much evergreen videos I decided to release my first one here:
View: https://youtu.be/iMwDD2JRqAc

It hasn't done well so far, but I didn't expect it to take off at all anyway due to the nature of what my audience expects from me relating to being a news channel, but i think this should get views for years as it is evergreen. Well.... that's the theory lol.

This recent video is right back to my usual style of content as I didn't want to confuse my viewers on what I am about:
View: https://youtu.be/gG85tBNuaKM

Not many views as yet, but all of the other stats look good so far. This should do alright.

727 subscribers now!

Last edited:

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I did a live reaction to the latest UFC 291 PPV event that just took place.

View: https://youtu.be/bl2kHsHGsr4

I like this laid back style of video.

I just whipped up the best thumbnail and video i could on my phone without any equipment.

Articles on my website are already starting to rank for google search with some SEO stuff I have learnt.

I didn't expect one impression yet, but to have 55 is good. I should continue with that strategy aswell as the videos I think.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
@MTF got me thinking.

I myswell go to wordpress now and save the hassle of doing it later, as I gather it will be more difficult the longer I leave it.
I also noticed their is wordpress ,org or.com is there a difference?
I'll look into how to migrate over and get it all done.

Is the free version of kadence good enough or should I just pay for the business one up front?

Last edited:

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
So the website is getting there, and I am happy with how it's turning out so far.
I had a lot of issues but I think it does look a lot cleaner now.

Thanks for the advice, I am still implementing things, but it's a big improvement.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I made a couple of articles over the last few days: Starting BJJ at 30 - Camp Combat
My writing is improving I think. My process so far is to write all of the posts myself, then I prompt chat GPT about what could be improved etc.

For some articles on my site, I got chat gpt to write them entirely, and they suck. I don't think that's the best way to use such a tool if i am being honest.

I also had a look at @MTF website and saw how he structured his articles and copied the ''table of contents'' style.
I think that's a good idea man, so stolen! haha.

I am not a good writer at all, but I think it's decent enough at the moment, I will get better as I go.

I also had a bunch of already indexed pages pointing to broken links, so I spent today fixing all of those up as best I can.

Last edited:

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
So semrush did reveal some issues with my website that might have caused me to stop ranking for so many keywords, and I'll work on fixing what I can as I go.

But today, we push on.

Since I have been writing so many articles I haven't made many videos at all but got back on the horse again with this one:

View: https://youtu.be/tVW7ZVT85I0?si=KnnDtZ8-q3C1CDAC

I'm too pissed off atm to write articles as it's demotivating with what has happened, so I'll shift a bit more of my focus to youtube until I figure out what is going on.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.