The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Google Analytics is DEAD… or is it?

Marketing, social media, advertising

Senecal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jun 4, 2020
Warning: This is a braindump about Google Analytics issues and questions that arise from those issues. Also, I'm not a lawyer, so please consult with your lawyers about the related legal matters.

Hey Fastlaners. As some of you know, Google announced they're officially retiring Universal Analytics, aka GA3, next year. [1]

The consensus before that announcement was that the new version, GA4, wasn't ready yet. Many features from GA3 are still missing in GA4; GA4's user interface sucks, steep learning curve, and so on.

The sudden announcement was likely due to controversies Google's facing in the EU. Early this year, France and Austria ruled that the use of Google Analytics is illegal. [2] The main problem is that EU citizens' user data are sent to the US, exposing them to US intelligence agencies. Authorities considered this issue to be a violation of the GDPR.

These controversies resulted in assumptions that GA is now illegal to use (at least in the EU).

So now, businesses that use GA may be compelled to switch analytics providers for two reasons.
  1. If the business website serves EU citizens, they're at risk of being sued for GDPR violations.
  2. If the business doesn't serve EU people, they may still think of switching because of how Google is 'forcing' GA4 on them.

So, is Google Analytics dead?

Well, not yet. And probably won't be for a long time.

Here's why I think that's the case.

According to Builtwith, 56% of the top 1 million sites use Google Analytics. [3] That's a significant percentage.

Let's assume each site is owned by one company. That means 560,000 companies, with X employees each, relying on GA data to do business. If GA goes down, millions of people's livelihoods will be impacted.

What's likely to happen, in my opinion, is that Google and other tech companies will slowly comply with the new privacy regulations. In the past few months, Google released privacy-related updates across its products. We can expect more of these for the rest of the year. [4]

But tech giants won't back down immediately, of course.

Shortly after the GA3 'sunsetting' announcement, the US government and European Commission have committed to a new Trans-Atlantic Data Privacy Framework. [5] This TADPF is a new agreement concerning data flows between the US and EU nations.

The Court of Justice of the European Union already struck down a similar agreement (Privacy Shield) last 2020 for data privacy issues. [6]

The court invalidated another deal before Privacy Shield (called Safe Harbor) for similar reasons. That was back in 2015. Snowden's leak was a significant factor in that decision. [7]

The gist here is that EU citizens won't feel their data privacy is safe until the US reforms its mass surveillance laws. Until then, new privacy agreements between the US and EU will come and go.

Meanwhile, businesses will need to adapt to the situation and make the best out of it.

We'll see how it goes.

Links:
[1] Universal Analytics will be going away - Analytics Help
[2] French Regulator Rules Google Analytics Illegal
[3] Analytics technologies Web Usage Distribution
[4] EU-focused data and privacy - Analytics Help
[5] FACT SHEET: United States and European Commission Announce Trans-Atlantic Data Privacy Framework | The White House
[6] Top court kills U.S.-EU Privacy Shield deal, sparking chaos in the digital economy
[7] Privacy Shield Will Let US Tech Giants Grab Europeans' Data

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
Without getting into the nitty gritty of GDPR and the case of GA in particular, wouldn't these same rulings apply to all technology that collected data such as IP addresses? There are tons of them out there and its way more than just analytics platforms doing it.

Senecal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jun 4, 2020
Without getting into the nitty gritty of GDPR and the case of GA in particular, wouldn't these same rulings apply to all technology that collected data such as IP addresses? There are tons of them out there and its way more than just analytics platforms doing it.
Exactly. The main issue is the transfer of EU citizens' user data to the US. More tech companies are definitely affected -- other analytics services, CRMs, and many more SaaS businesses. But GA/Google/Facebook's controversies are highlighted in the news probably because these stories attract more eyeballs.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Warning: This is a braindump about Google Analytics issues and questions that arise from those issues. Also, I'm not a lawyer, so please consult with your lawyers about the related legal matters.

Hey Fastlaners. As some of you know, Google announced they're officially retiring Universal Analytics, aka GA3, next year. [1]

The consensus before that announcement was that the new version, GA4, wasn't ready yet. Many features from GA3 are still missing in GA4; GA4's user interface sucks, steep learning curve, and so on.

The sudden announcement was likely due to controversies Google's facing in the EU. Early this year, France and Austria ruled that the use of Google Analytics is illegal. [2] The main problem is that EU citizens' user data are sent to the US, exposing them to US intelligence agencies. Authorities considered this issue to be a violation of the GDPR.

These controversies resulted in assumptions that GA is now illegal to use (at least in the EU).

So now, businesses that use GA may be compelled to switch analytics providers for two reasons.
  1. If the business website serves EU citizens, they're at risk of being sued for GDPR violations.
  2. If the business doesn't serve EU people, they may still think of switching because of how Google is 'forcing' GA4 on them.

According to Builtwith, 56% of the top 1 million sites use Google Analytics. [3] That's a significant percentage.

Let's assume each site is owned by one company. That means 560,000 companies, with X employees each, relying on GA data to do business. If GA goes down, millions of people's livelihoods will be impacted.

What's likely to happen, in my opinion, is that Google and other tech companies will slowly comply with the new privacy regulations. In the past few months, Google released privacy-related updates across its products. We can expect more of these for the rest of the year. [4]

Shortly after the GA3 'sunsetting' announcement, the US government and European Commission have committed to a new Trans-Atlantic Data Privacy Framework. [5] This TADPF is a new agreement concerning data flows between the US and EU nations.

The Court of Justice of the European Union already struck down a similar agreement (Privacy Shield) last 2020 for data privacy issues. [6]

The court invalidated another deal before Privacy Shield (called Safe Harbor) for similar reasons. That was back in 2015. Snowden's leak was a significant factor in that decision. [7]

The gist here is that EU citizens won't feel their data privacy is safe until the US reforms its mass surveillance laws. Until then, new privacy agreements between the US and EU will come and go.

Meanwhile, businesses will need to adapt to the situation and make the best out of it.

We'll see how it goes.

Links:
[5] FACT SHEET: United States and European Commission Announce Trans-Atlantic Data Privacy Framework | The White House
[6] Top court kills U.S.-EU Privacy Shield deal, sparking chaos in the digital economy

Thank you for starting this thread. I've been meaning to start a discussion like this on this forum and you did a better job than I would have. I didn't know about those court cases.

Yeah, we're already testing alternatives like Plausible and Clicky.

How do you like plausible?

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Google Analytics has turned into such junk that I'd rather pay for an alternative now than deal with the terrible complicated GA dashboard.

I'm using Plausible. It's not great as it misses some conversions (not sure why, maybe I did something wrong) but at least it's very clean and easy to use.

Senecal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jun 4, 2020
Thank you for starting this thread. I've been meaning to start a discussion like this on this forum and you did a better job than I would have. I didn't know about those court cases.
For sure. Interestingly, one non-profit is behind most of the cases filed in EU countries. It's called NOYB, founded by a guy named Max Schrems.

Did these recent data privacy issues affect your business in any way?

Last edited:

Senecal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jun 4, 2020
Yeah, we're already testing alternatives like Plausible and Clicky.
I'm using Plausible. It's not great as it misses some conversions (not sure why, maybe I did something wrong) but at least it's very clean and easy to use.
Curious about your experience. How is Plausible different from GA?

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

Albert KOUADJA

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Mar 13, 2022

We'll see how it goes.

Links:
Great work, thank you for providing us with this information, especially I was not aware of this..

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.