The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Reaching $500K building a Google Analytics alternative

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
Not a fan of creating threads only to post a link, but this was another gem I thought would be beneficial to most here.

Hopefully this story can motivate you to stay focused and resilient on your goals. Going against the grain and charging for something that most of the digital world wouldn't pay for is pretty inspirational imo...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Great share thank you, lots of goodies. Worth the thread start.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
Awesome !
Shows that it could be done if you are resourceful and patient.

Great read.

Even though they put their own money, it’s what I always say:

If you want to give yourself the best possible outcome, start a business when you have money, not when you’re down to the last cent.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bump referenced here...

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Once again, the Productocracy is validated...

If you hear about Plausible these days, it likely comes from one of our 4,802 paying customers. People who use and enjoy using Plausible help us spread the word to even more people.

We have a $0 paid advertising budget and we don’t have an affiliate program either. We pretty much ignore all the best marketing practices.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Beautiful product. I've always been waiting for a G-Analytics alternative to come out!

Wisith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Aug 29, 2015
Thanks for posting this. Our MVP just launched and the bigger competitors (within the last several months) ramped up their game plan and released exactly what we're doing...so it got us a bit down. Appreciate the story, and appreciate MJ for sending this out in the text some days back :)

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thanks for posting this. Our MVP just launched and the bigger competitors (within the last several months) ramped up their game plan and released exactly what we're doing...so it got us a bit down. Appreciate the story, and appreciate MJ for sending this out in the text some days back :)

A note about that text... with my emphasis added.

Don't be afraid to compete against big business. If you stole $50M in revenue and $10M in profits away from Google, Apple, or some other big biz, they might not even notice. Mosquito meet elephant. In the last month, 2 stories have been posted on the forum of small companies competing in tech-giant spaces. FACT: Most people want to do business with small, responsive private companies, not nebulous non-responsive monolithic corporations.

Dr Doomain

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Mar 16, 2023
I like how they only did marketing on sites like Indiehackers a Hacker News. I am also using these sites daily, in addition to reddit and quora. It just proves that you don't need a big marketing budget, but rather a unique product that can go sort of viral.

PatrickJoseph

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jul 16, 2021
Michigan
Not a fan of creating threads only to post a link, but this was another gem I thought would be beneficial to most here.

Hopefully this story can motivate you to stay focused and resilient on your goals. Going against the grain and charging for something that most of the digital world wouldn't pay for is pretty inspirational imo...

Thanks for sharing this article @Sebastian.

Definitely a gem of an article. A couple of things that stood out to me (amongst many others) are:

Unlike the more common startup story, we’re entirely self-funded and bootstrapped. The two of us, as co-founders, completely own Plausible Analytics. We haven’t taken anyone’s money, so we fully control where we take Plausible next.

Having control - per @MJ DeMarco's C.E.N.T.S., and savings (or a full/part-time gig) puts you in a much better place when building a business. Having no debt (VC or loans) definitely lowers the stress levels keeping you from making decisions based on paying back a loan or meeting the demands of VC's.

Resourcefulness is an advantage to us. We manage our server infrastructure, we do our marketing without paying experts or influencers, and we speak to the customers and respond to customer enquiries ourselves.

Being able to utilize your skills or figure it out (i.e. get your hands dirty) and be resourceful can carry a business a long way (they're still a lean business today with a team of 7) and help you focus on what makes it grow - your customers.

It's a great example of bootstrapping and turning it into a success. According to their Twitter account, the MRR is now $100k.

A great article to learn from as we walk this entrepreneurial path.

Patrick

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.