The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

GO TO COLLEGE... A little Rant.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
yeah because not willing to wait will make you rich and powerful

oh wait..

I just don't want to study till i am 25 years old, i want to work my job and maybe a business instead of studying and studying, and i mean school not self education.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
Why not start now??? Be baller by the time you are 21?

I want to but i don't think i can combine school with a startup, and i also don't really know what my passions are but i got things i find intresting and that is finance,history,human psychology.

psychology is not really suited for a startup just like history. I don't have much knowledge about finance and it takes years of job experience and study's before you are knowledgable about it.

Also most young millionairs (i'm talking under thei're 30s) have made that kind of money with coding and programming and that is something that i don't really like doing, i have tryed it but it ain't for me.

So yeah those are my thoughts, i don't want to steal this thread or something maybe we can private message on this issue

SerpKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Jun 6, 2013
If you're 100% committed to the fastlane then college is nothing more than procrastination. You aren't going to learn a thing in college that will help you. Hardly worth the lost years of time and the potential debt. It's easy to say to yourself "OH I'm going to go to college while I wait for a fastlane opportunity." No, go out and find one.

Slowlane jobs, College, are all forms of procrastination if you're intent on being an entrepreneur. You're either diving in head first or your not.

College is only useful if your end goal profession requires it (Doc, Engineer).

I get a rush of anxiety thinking about spending all day studying for a pointless exam now. What a waste of time.

Last edited:

SerpKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Jun 6, 2013
I study finance so basicly waste of time.By the way when i finished i have no debts only a couple hundred euro's profit

I'm sure there are some takeaways from finance that will help in some way. It's all about opportunity cost

Every hour spent studying or in school is an hour gone from working on building your fastlane.

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
I'm sure there are some takeaways from finance that will help in some way. It's all about opportunity cost

Every hour spent studying or in school is an hour gone from working on building your fastlane.

Progress thread coming up soon, i first gotta look up into some industries i want to get in.
I was thinking of hiring some indian guy to build software/app i got some good ideas, i was also looking for buying and selling things.

I don't like to code and stuff but that is one of the fastest and easiest ways to get rich.

I like the idea of buying cheap in bulk and selling individual, but i also like to build software that fills a need. Every month i earn 330 to spend on anything i want i now got close to 1100 euro's

Dimski

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
May 24, 2014
Montreal, Canada.
The college question is pretty simple. Don't go to college for a degree. Go there to learn, network and grow if it's affordable. You can't enjoy college or university if you're $120K in debt by the end of your studies. That's financial suicide - do NOT do it.

Also, don't go to college just for the sake of going to college. Learn something valuable that will help you help others.

ArthurDayne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 22, 2014
Hong Kong
I study finance so basicly waste of time.By the way when i finished i have no debts only a couple hundred euro's profit

Finance is far more lucrative than engineering and often even medicine. If you study finance and get no benefit/job at the end of the day, that's your fault.

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
Finance is far more lucrative than engineering and often even medicine. If you study finance and get no benefit/job at the end of the day, that's your fault.

I am 100% sure i can get a job that is no problem, i started to search for a job and within one month i got multiple offers i now work 6 weeks to build up some capital, just a vacation job.

I work as a assistant driver for a horeca wholesaler, earning 320 euro's a week

NerdAtCoolTable

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jul 20, 2014
I am currently working a labor job making around 50k a year. I have been getting a lot of pressure from my father to pursue a degree in CS. I have been learning how to code on my own the last cpl months , and don't see the need to spend 40-80k on a degree when the information is out there for free.

I have a fear that if I don't get the degree I won't be able to get into the software field. This may be due to my fathers relentless pressure he has placed on me.

I guess I am just looking for advice from people that have been in this situation before.

sle3pyguii

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Aug 19, 2012
I have a fear that if I don't get the degree I won't be able to get into the software field. This may be due to my fathers relentless pressure he has placed on me.

From what I've seen in the US startup world, the programming field is the most forgiving when it comes to not having degrees.

Not sure about the corporate world, but lots of startups don't care about a CS degree, as long as you know how to code and can prove that you can with a portfolio of side projects on GitHub and sometimes even passing a coding challenge they issue.

NicoleMarie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
May 1, 2014
Wisconsin, USA
I am currently working a labor job making around 50k a year. I have been getting a lot of pressure from my father to pursue a degree in CS. I have been learning how to code on my own the last cpl months , and don't see the need to spend 40-80k on a degree when the information is out there for free.

I guess I am just looking for advice from people that have been in this situation before.

Show him this: http://venturebeat.com/2014/04/25/why-google-doesnt-care-about-college-degrees-in-5-quotes/
I think we are entering a new generation of business owners. Unless you're planning on working at a traditional big corporation (which probably wouldn't be as fun in the first place), I think you'll be good. ;)
P.S. I'm on the hunt for a CTO and having a college degree isn't on my requirements list.

SYK

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Mar 24, 2014
You aren't going to learn a thing in college that will help you.

A few of the things I honed in college: social skills, presentation skills, communications skills, media/PR skills (my degree). Could they be learnt outside college? Of course. But that's not the statement you made.

College is only useful if your end goal profession requires it (Doc, Engineer)

What I learnt, and the degrees I left college with, got me a job in an international company. It made me an advisor to the CEO and Executive team. Among other things, it regularly took me into the office of our country's Prime Minister (our version of a President).

I've left that environment now to pursue my own business interests and I can assure you having watched high level execs work up close my sense of business is better for it.

Now tell me again that college wasn't useful.

Am I saying it's right for everyone? No. What I'm pointing out is that there are so many absolute claims being made about the virtues of college - a subject that is anything but absolute.

Some will find value in it, some won't.

I know I feel much more comfortable knowing that if my business plans don't work out I can walk into a solid job again. Do I want that? No. But it is assuring.

SerpKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Jun 6, 2013
A few of the things I honed in college: social skills, presentation skills, communications skills, media/PR skills (my degree). Could they be learnt outside college? Of course. But that's not the statement you made.

What I learnt, and the degrees I left college with, got me a job in an international company. It made me an advisor to the CEO and Executive team. Among other things, it regularly took me into the office of our country's Prime Minister (our version of a President).

I've left that environment now to pursue my own business interests and I can assure you having watched high level execs work up close my sense of business is better for it.

Now tell me again that college wasn't useful.

Am I saying it's right for everyone? No. What I'm pointing out is that there are so many absolute claims being made about the virtues of college - a subject that is anything but absolute.

Some will find value in it, some won't.

I know I feel much more comfortable knowing that if my business plans don't work out I can walk into a solid job again. Do I want that? No. But it is assuring.

College isn't useful - for those who are committed to building a fastlane business. This is the fastlane forum - I assume members here are interested in building a fastlane business. Not spending 4+ years of time and money to be no further ahead. Huge opportunity cost.

I punched a few years of a business degree - it's total irrelevant clutter. Corporate drone training grounds! Yes for argument sake there are obviously some basic skill advances. I walked away with basic accounting knowledge, how to use a spreadsheet, and how to make a good powerpoint. Who cares though? All of these skills could have been learned outside of college while building a business. Learn as you go.

Name one super-successful entrepreneur crediting a big chunk of their success to their degree. :bored:

nausbot

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jul 7, 2013
London, Canada

Like my father, your father grew up in a time that having a college degree meant you'd get ahead in the marketplace. Unfortunately (fortunately) that's not the case anymore... there's a wealth of knowledge available that is available in many different sources and often more up to date than course offerings, more specific, etc.

However, looking back at my own university experience I think it was worthwhile on the whole. Sure, I have an expensive piece of useless paper somewhere, but I don't know if I would trade it for anything. In fact, I'd suggest to people entering university to take your time and do as much stuff as you can while you're there. Because some day that party will end, and there's really nothing else like it.

Harley

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jun 9, 2014
College isn't useful - for those who are committed to building a fastlane business. This is the fastlane forum - I assume members here are interested in building a fastlane business. Not spending 4+ years of time and money to be no further ahead. Huge opportunity cost.

I punched a few years of a business degree - it's total irrelevant clutter. Corporate drone training grounds! Yes for argument sake there are obviously some basic skill advances. I walked away with basic accounting knowledge, how to use a spreadsheet, and how to make a good powerpoint. Who cares though? All of these skills could have been learned outside of college while building a business. Learn as you go.

Name one super-successful entrepreneur crediting a big chunk of their success to their degree. :bored:
Don't know I would agree fully - Not sure anyone would credit their entrepreneurial success to college alone, but for a lot their overall life experience plays a huge part.
Yes I didn't walk out with a ton of indispensable skills, that couldn't have been learnt elsewhere.
But, at least in my experience, as someone who applied myself fully and had to work like a M.F to get good grades, it taught me several things, including, having a strong work ethic to get the "desired" results. How to learn a bunch of information in a very short timespan. Social skills. etc. I always found amongst friends and college piers, the ones who said it was all B.S were often the ones who never applied their-self to anything anyway, just scrapped through and are still losers to this day. Not saying that to anyone here, just my own circle experience.

MorgothBauglir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Dec 23, 2013
JackEdwards is surely being ironic. It seems like a challenge, if you're that easily discouraged and swayed by his words, then you're probably not cut out for this entrepreneurial thing. You don't want it bad enough. You're not willing to make the sacrifice. You don't believe in yourself.

That's how I read it anyway, especially since this is the guy who told you to LOSE THE JOB!

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
What I did in college:

- Played 4 years of rugby. High school sports are nothing like college rugby. This is an animal by itself.
- 4 years of water polo. Sport was fun as hell and I loved it, never would have played otherwise.
- Intramural soccer / basketball. Followed up my youth passions and improved by playing random people, walking to the gym, which was literally 30 seconds from where I lived.
- Hit the gym hard. Best shape of my life.
- Ate like a monster. Got on the highest meal plan I could regardless of cost, which was 19 a week. All you could eat. Buffet style. Pretty healthy if you chose to eat so. In this respect, I got up to 210 pounds in college, pretty built. 2 months after I'm back down to 185 pounds because I can't eat as much.

- Became a part of numerous student club organizations in the business school. Learned that meetings are a waste of time and no one really gets anything done, and its mostly people tooting their own horn. Real progress is made as individuals and teams outside meetings.
- Managed to study abroad in Europe, visited a few countries, made friends from Australia, Germany, Iceland, etc.
- Majored in entrepreneurship so I could connect with like-minded students, professors who actually have been there done that, mentors, etc.

I put a lot of effort into college, participating in-campus, and getting involved. Its a phase of life I wouldn't have traded away even if I created a successful business. Sure, I could have drank less at times, went out less, etc. but for what? I didn't kill myself and I made sure it didn't distract me from my goals. The times were fun and the girls were hot.

All I'm saying is there is plenty to be learned in college outside of the typical classroom setting. You think its all classes that take up all of your time - bullshit. I was in class for 3 -5 hours per day and maybe studied outside of that, for class, 2-3 hours per day max. This is less than a full time day's of work and you don't have to drive or commute anywhere to boot. Your commute is your walk to class, during which you build up your network.

Life is a balance and by putting yourself on the grind so early on, you are missing out creating other aspects of yourself (such as getting in the gym, networking, becoming a part of the community, different sports teams, getting good with girls, etc.) Just one kid's point of view anywyas.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007

SerpKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Jun 6, 2013
Not if your goal is to use income to buy assets. Believe me, this is fastlane

Curious on how College would help with this? I spent years studying business in school and can honestly say I walked away with almost zero benefit (fastlane benefit/knowledge). It was all very generic, dated, employee-handbook style stuff. I know just because I had a bad experience doesn't mean that everyone has one, but still - I don't see how the time,money,and years are worth it.

Wouldn't time be better spent going out and learning the specific process to what it is you want to do and putting an effort towards doing it? So if the chosen process to the fastlane is buying assets, wouldn't it make more sense to spend time/effort to go learn specifically that or seek out a mentor or even read online (learn as you go). I fail to see how college triumphs the trenches.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
I'm honestly tired of seeing pointless debates like this go on in the forum. The college debate for entrepreneurs is like debating religion. People have different perspectives based on their beliefs and experiences, but they refuse to accept there are other perspectives outside of their own.

Instead people take their highly opinionated statements and try to shove it down others throats to prove that they are right, when in fact there is no right and wrong. Going to college may be for you, it may not be for you. It may be the best decision of your life, it may be the worst decision of your life. (Hint: The individual determines if he/she will be successful, not a college degree or lack of it.)

If you think college is right for you, good, but you don't need to go out and argue with people when they disagree. And same vise versa. Eventually the argument almost always breaks down to personal attacks and people getting frustrated. If you chose to present your opinions, do it with the acceptance that other people may disagree and that is ok.

Presenting your viewpoint is fine, but don't present it if you feel the need to debate it to the death with anyone who questions it. Jack presented a valid point for people considering college to look at; you don't see him in here in this soup of useless discussion debating why he is right and you are wrong.

Last edited:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Curious on how College would help with this? I spent years studying business in school and can honestly say I walked away with almost zero benefit (fastlane benefit/knowledge).
I know a lot of people that have jobs making 100K plus per year that put their money into investments (businesses, hotels, apartments, commercial real estate, hard money loans, etc...) on a regular basis. Passive income right? Not everyone is cut out to run a business. Not everyone wants to. I know people that have invested well that make large amounts of passive income.

This starts with saving capital and putting it to work. A good job goes a long way with this approach.

I am not suggesting that everyone go to school to learn. I did not finish 10th grade. I am simply making observations of others that I have seen make a lot of money. There is more than one path. :tiphat:

ArthurDayne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 22, 2014
Hong Kong
I'm honestly tired of seeing pointless debates like this go on in the forum. The college debate for entrepreneurs is like debating religion. People have different perspectives based on their beliefs and experiences, but they refuse to accept there are other perspectives outside of their own.

Instead people take their highly opinionated statements and try to shove it down others throats to prove that they are right, when in fact there is no right and wrong. Going to college may be for you, it may not be for you. It may be the best decision of your life, it may be the worst decision of your life. (Hint: The individual determines if he/she will be successful, not a college degree or lack of it.)

If you think college is right for you, good, but you don't need to go out and argue with people when they disagree. And same vise versa. Eventually the argument almost always breaks down to personal attacks and people getting frustrated. If you chose to present your opinions, do it with the acceptance that other people may disagree and that is ok.

Presenting your viewpoint is fine, but don't present it if you feel the need to debate it to the death with anyone who questions it. Jack presented a valid point for people considering college to look at; you don't see him in here in this soup of useless discussion debating why he is right and you are wrong.

I see it a bit differently - I'm enjoying what to me seems like a pretty healthy debate. I particularly like reading people's stories. I think someone could go over this thread, see all the argument s for both sides, and make an informed decision.

ArthurDayne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 22, 2014
Hong Kong
this looks like an atheists vs. christians debate
no logical foundation at all

Illogical? I do not think that word means what you think it means. You've done a pretty lazy analysis of this debate.

We're had a good look atthe costs and benefits of going to college, with lots of personal stories to boot. Overall we've covered:

Pros of college:
- usually leads to steady slowlane employment which can put food on the table and experience in your brain while you work on your fastlane on the side
- can in very limited situations lead to lucrative slowlane employment - banking, law, etc.
- you learn things at a high level (but not things that can't be learned outside of school)

Cons of college:
- can be prohibitively expensive - may not earn a return on the investment
- opportunity cost (time that could be spent on fastlane venture) is significant - 4 years
- a moderate likelihood you won't even use what you learned

Please, go on, show me how either side is in any way illogical.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.