The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

GO TO COLLEGE... A little Rant.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
College is jokes. Depressing waste of time. At 31, i've only kept two solid friends from that period - neither of whome I've seen in more than a year.

Most of the friends i "chill" with are (ex)work colleagues, random roommates, people at my MMA training facility and girls i bang - i.e going out and meeting girls in bars, clubs, the street, internet dating site (on a relentless basis) some broad i bumped into the airport a few weeks ago. etc. etc.

College was a depressing whole that i left me in a mountain of debt, scraping by barely enough to eat - going several days in a row without food cos i was LITERALLLY BROKE, partying way to hard on hard drugs i shouldn't have touched - and, in fact, hardly having any sex at ALL

A desperate lonely time for.

Did a "HIstory" degree - learnt NOTHING that i couldn't have gleaned from watching the Discovery challenge and reading books, which i do avidly anyway.

As for my writing talent which i exploit, yeah, part of that was honed with the sophisticated essay skills I develoiped at uni - but i did not need to be slaughtered for four years to do that.

Mass college education is a SCAM that feeds these overblown university systems with untold wealth

I'm curious how you're life has unfolded now, tell me?

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I've seen worse. This is pretty mild! lol

FastlaneTiger

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 27, 2014
Not the USA
Last edited:

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Most college degrees are mental masturbation plus a surprise.

Debt and your degree having surprisingly little value.

One of the best decisions in my life was to PAY ATTENTION REALLY HARD in school, rather than STUDY really hard like a good boy.

You know what I figured out by paying attention?
"Geez, this is stupid!"

I literally then had the balls, to just stand up, mid class, and say "thanks teacher, but I'm going to leave now"
Teacher: "Ok see you tomorrow"
"Oh no, I won't be coming back"

I walked out and my friends laughed about it for weeks, "haha this is a hilarious joke he is pulling, haha!".

But it wasn't a joke. And I am damn glad I payed attention enough that I wasn't joking when I said it. I was a top percentile student at the time, and was eying up some PhDs.
I came home and I said, "I'm leaving school, gonna figure this out".

I got a job working nights, built a huge bank of cash, that sustained me for like a decade.
I figured out what I wanted to do. Took up business.
Nailed up a goal.

BOOM!

People forget, you don't have to figure it OUT right away, just go work and discover life, then knuckle the f down and pay attention.

Btw, I am horrified by the idea of having NOT done that
What a waste of my life that would have been

You can find rose colored tints to anything, but PAYING ATTENTION sure beat listening to dumb#sses

Last edited:

Blhhi

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 23, 2014
ArthurDayne said: ↑
I'm amazed at how many 17 year olds pop onto here living in their parents' basements thinking that getting a job is to admit defeat in life, and that going to school is a waste of time.
Love this post.
Don't hold your breath on that, the circlejerk is too strong.
Naive children thinking they possess a gift. Spend all their time talking about how great fastlane is, how jobs are the devil, etc. Nothing but talk, ad nauseam. Easy to say that when Mommy is paying your rent.
Can't fault them, I've been there.

1. What are you even talking about? Don't... most 17 year olds... live with their parents? I don't even get your point. Would they be smarter if they were homeless?

2. Most of us accomplish nothing from ages 17 to 23. What are you saying? I should accomplish nothing and go into debt while I do it?

I really don't understand the condescending attitude toward teenagers. What, were you independent and rich before you turned 14? What does anything you two have said even contribute to the conversation?

FastlaneTiger

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 27, 2014
Not the USA
1. What are you even talking about? Don't... most 17 year olds... live with their parents? I don't even get your point. Would they be smarter if they were homeless?

2. Most of us accomplish nothing from ages 17 to 23. What are you saying? I should accomplish nothing and go into debt while I do it?

I really don't understand the condescending attitude toward teenagers. What, were you independent and rich before you turned 14? What does anything you two have said even contribute to the conversation?
Hell yea! Tell 'em!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
A

Angus

analyze your situation from an objective point of view and then act

knowing that something can be done doesn't mean shit
if you're not blind you understand that you can transcend what's considered "impossible"
doesn't mean you will

going to college is like going gluten free, some people do it for the wrong reasons, doesn't mean it can't be beneficial

D

DeletedUser394

No, I'm tired of people with no life experience coming on here, latching onto that one central point, and then bashing 95% of the human race that are just living their lives.

It's easy to criticize someone from behind the glass looking outwards.

When a person turns 18 they need to start taking responsibility for their own lives. If they are not enrolled in full time education, they need to grow up, get a job, and move out of their parents house. (Latter part isn't 100% necessary, but providing for oneself when one becomes an adult is the important part, even when living at home.)

I have every respect for the 'evil loser slowlaner' who at 18 goes out and gets their first low wage job in order to pay their own dues. I have no respect for the people on here that do nothing but bash other people that are actually being responsible young adults and doing what they need to do to survive and be independent.

Being 22, with no job, and $20 in your bank account and no prospects of income or employment is not acceptable and I don't understand how a parent could put up with such nonsense.

Like I said, if a person is enrolled and engaged in full time education, then the above doesn't apply. However, laziness, or 'waiting for that right fastlane opportunity', is not a life plan.

The OP, @JackEdwards , personifies what it means to take full responsibility for one's life. He got out there at an early age and made it work. He wasn't on some internet forum bashing people (granted there wasn't internet back then lol :p), he just went out and did what needed to be done. If I remember correctly, he was working 2 jobs, including an early paper route to provide for his family. Lots of people here would baulk at 'going so low' as to get TWO jobs, never mind one. But Jack is a beast and did what he had to do at the time.

The entire point of my initial reply has nothing to do with being successful early in life. You are right, most people are not successful at that age, and that's understandable and alright. What isn't alright are the sheer number of people that take zero responsibility for their own well being, and then come on here and criticize the people that do. Or, as @ArthurDayne mentioned, the people with no life experience that are so quick to latch on to that one central idea and immediately discount the value and utility of 'slowlane' tools. Because it's easy to criticize when everything is paid for.

As I said, in the case of under 18s, I don't fault them, because they are naive and have no life experience and I've been there. But once a person reaches adulthood those excuses no longer apply.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blhhi

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 23, 2014
Being 22, with no job, and $20 in your bank account and no prospects of income or employment is not acceptable and I don't understand how a parent could put up with such nonsense.

Well I'm glad personal snipes aren't beneath a mature guy like you.

I'm sure that in your great wisdom you read the part where I dropped out of school this spring, right? Meaning I haven't been sitting on my a$$ for 4 years. But don't let that stop you from making your moot point. What was it again?

Oh right, "Young kids should go slowlane first, and then go fastlane later." That's fine. But what does that have to do with going to college for 5 years and getting into debt? Nothing. You're hijacking the thread to complain about lazy young kids. This is a thread about going to college, not laziness or procrastination.

And to make sure you don't feel too proud of yourself: I spent my money helping my parents pay their bills, and buying my own food and clothes. Money I earned last summer freelancing and doing a research project at my university. Ugh, so lazy and selfish. How do my parents do it?

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Bah.

Most choices in life have as much impact as you allow them to.

'Oh no, I did not go to university, I will definitely not get a job now. Therefore I will not be able to finance my fastlane.'

'Oh no, I applied to university. I have now subtracted 4 years from my entrepreneurial endeavors and indentured myself to a life of debt slavery. Nooo!'

(HINT: Both statements are bullshit limitations that exist in your head, not in the realm of possibilities.)

And just to cover my a$$ from the inevitable judgement of the Gods. I spent the last year working and giving 70% of my income to my family to help them with the seemingly-bottomless pit of debt.

F*ckin' millennials and their facespace profiles.

D

DeletedUser394

Was I talking about you? When I use the term 'you' it's just a general reference.

I was referring to one of the reply's that I received regarding a travel opportunity.

Edit: Just saw your PM. Had no idea it was you. Received about 4 dozen reply's and picked one that stuck out for the reason above.

And my point is valid and correct to bring up laziness etc, because education is typically a part of a person's life from 18-22. So the point being, if a person doesn't pursue education (as is their right to refuse), then they need take option 2 which is to get some income rolling in.

Also, not everyone here lives in the USA (lots do), but in other countries school is free or at the very least affordable. So a person, wherever they are in the world has to weigh the pros and cons.

An arts degree is nonsense and I have no sympathy for those that graduate with a mountain of debt because of it. However a professional degree can certainly be worthwhile, and @ArthurDayne was able to pay it off easily and is reaping the rewards.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
A 60 year old may very well be more interesting, but young people can't relate to old people as well as young people
While this may be some people's perspective, the majority of the friends that my wife and I hang with on a regular basis are in their early 20's through mid 30's. I am 56. They seem to relate to me just fine. We have softball and running in common so there is a link to tie us together. But we hang out off the field regularly and do many activities together.

I don't understand why age should be a hindrance to conversation.

NicoleMarie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
May 1, 2014
Wisconsin, USA
While this may be some people's perspective, the majority of the friends that my wife and I hang with on a regular basis are in their early 20's through mid 30's. I am 56. They seem to relate to me just fine. We have softball and running in common so there is a link to tie us together. But we hang out off the field regularly and do many activities together.

I don't understand why age should be a hindrance to conversation.

That's great! There are those times, I've found, where people of different generations DO mesh (although you guys are still fairly close in age). I guess I meant like if a 65 year old who enjoys slow walks and conversation were to hang with a 20 year old who's always drunk and likes partying, they probably wouldn't get along for very long EVEN if they both have an interest in/can talk about sports.
Anyways, thanks for the input!

NicoleMarie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
May 1, 2014
Wisconsin, USA
An arts degree is nonsense and I have no sympathy for those that graduate with a mountain of debt because of it.

Thank goodness someone thinks that, when I saw the job market for graphic design I said nope!

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
People are people, old or young. I've met a few older people who have life figured out.

Like a child, in the sense that they don't have a chip on their shoulder about a lot of irrelevant stuff.

But like a sage, in the sense that their bliss is accompanied by wisdom.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
People are people, old or young. I've met a few older people who have life figured out.

Like a child, in the sense that they don't have a chip on their shoulder about a lot of irrelevant stuff.

But like a sage, in the sense that their bliss is accompanied by wisdom.
Most of us don't have life figured out. We just try not to worry about what color of car to dream of. "Like a child" funny when in the company of "adults" Aunts, Uncles, parents, I still feel like a child.

I'm at an awkward age.

MayaMagpie

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 11, 2014
London, UK
I went to university and though I wouldn't want to miss it, it has not exactly helped me later in life. In fact, it was a bit of a slowlane brainwashing session. However, as has been said before, it depends on you, your goals, your finances and your general circumstances.

If I could do it all over again, I would approach it differently. I would go to college, but not with the intention of graduating and only for a year. I would then go and pick every class that seems interesting from a variety of fields, make lots of friends, contacts and connections, take part in whatever awesome extracurricular activities there are, and just try to learn and experience as much as possible. If that was too expensive, I would go somewhere where it's cheaper. Germany, where I studied, often has no tuition fees and cost of living is reasonable. Plus, programs are often in English.
I would then go and travel for a while. See things, do things. You don't need much money for that. Volunteering is dirt cheap and can be done all over the world. Couchsurfing, house sitting, whatever.

Although I admire any 17 year old who has the ambition to start something, I think it's greatly beneficial to gain some real life experience, in college or wherever.

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
That's great! There are those times, I've found, where people of different generations DO mesh (although you guys are still fairly close in age). I guess I meant like if a 65 year old who enjoys slow walks and conversation were to hang with a 20 year old who's always drunk and likes partying, they probably wouldn't get along for very long EVEN if they both have an interest in/can talk about sports.
Anyways, thanks for the input!

I would love to talk with a 65 year old about philosophy and business thats what i do with a 21 year old classmate

ArthurDayne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 22, 2014
Hong Kong

Sorry I wasn't clear enough. I just picked a number from the air - there's nothing wrong with living at home during school or college. Do I expect a 20 year old to accomplish anything? Hell no. I certainly didn't.

To be more specific (and accurate), here's what I was trying to say: It is genuinely worrying to see someone who's in their early 20s post about their plan for fastlane life, but instead of doing it because they have an idea or entrepreneurial passion (legit reasons), they do it because they assume that anything traditionally educational or slowlane HAS to be rejected and is in fact beneath them from the get-go.

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
This is exactly my problem, i feel like i force myself to be a fastlaner even though i ain't if i was i already had made a good amount of money on my own.
I want to be a fastlaner but life doesn't go that way it has got to come from the inside not from the outside, for example bill gates did what he felt like not because of reading the fastlane forum.
I have learned from this but i am still struggling with it, people my age are still finding out theire lives and its damm hard for me.

Sorry I wasn't clear enough. I just picked a number from the air - there's nothing wrong with living at home during school or college. Do I expect a 20 year old to accomplish anything? Hell no. I certainly didn't.

To be more specific (and accurate), here's what I was trying to say: It is genuinely worrying to see someone who's in their early 20s post about their plan for fastlane life, but instead of doing it because they have an idea or entrepreneurial passion (legit reasons), they do it because they assume that anything traditionally educational or slowlane HAS to be rejected and is in fact beneath them from the get-go.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
I want to be a fastlaner but life doesn't go that way it has got to come from the inside not from the outside, for example bill gates did what he felt like not because of reading the fastlane forum.
I have learned from this but i am still struggling with it, people my age are still finding out theire lives and its damm hard for me.

Yeah, that age imo is brutal cuz
- Parents are all over you (and others, despite the fact that really they have no right to it)
- People expect you to not care about money
- You lack the mental beat around that gets you thinking outside conventions

So, its a bit of a desert world for youngins who don't want to be part of that caste.

But in all honesty, at 16 you got all you need, except the roaring need to get the h#ll away from others asap, so you can get to living rather than getting swept up in OTHER PEOPLE'S BS trains.

Substance isn't age dependent its effort dependant

Edit: roflmao at the response below
Guess you didn't think ahead :hilarious:

Last edited:

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
I will stop school when i am 21 years old or 22 because i hate it i want to live and thrive i don't want to wait. Stupid matrix

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.