The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

GO TO COLLEGE... A little Rant.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

botnickguy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jul 20, 2011
Detroit, Michigan
How is community college? If you can go for free/cheap, is the experience worth it?

In my case it has been more than worth it. Maybe skewing my particular case is that my county is an affluent county that can afford to hire the most talented professors that stack up with major universities. Not saying that professors at other CCs suck but I'm just saying that it potentially has an effect on the kind of education I got.

I've been getting an undergraduate certificate at mine in Software Engineering and it's helping towards my goals phenomenally and not costing much, especially compared to a bachelor's degree in Computer Science. It's an excellent education but it might not help at all toward's marketing to what a cushy corporation's hiring manager wants. Which was never my exact goal. Ideally I want to get into a small quirkier company/startup and increase my skill level and then go off on my own path.

Other people often will get their credits here for cheaper, get a general associates degree and then transfer to a 4 year. Slowlane stuff basically. Financially and logically it's a good decision.

One thing I'd especially watch out for is the student body though. I'd say 8/10 of the students at my CC who are around my age don't impress me the least. In my upper level courses you get a better ratio of intelligent and driven students (maybe 6/10) but still, the less productive people actually ended up contributing to slowing me down when I befriended them (& their life goals and patterns, everything that came with them). Not judging them, but their process was inadequate.

So if you go, make sure you have a specific goal in mind, suit your own purposes perfectly, get more out of it than anyone else in your class and stay away from people with toxic lifestyles.

Last edited:
G

GuestUser116

In my case it has been more than worth it. Maybe skewing my particular case is that my county is an affluent county that can afford to hire the most talented professors that stack up with major universities. Not saying that professors at other CCs suck but I'm just saying that it potentially has an effect on the kind of education I got.

I've been getting an undergraduate certificate at mine in Software Engineering and it's helping towards my goals phenomenally and not costing much, especially compared to a bachelor's degree in Computer Science. It's an excellent education but it might not help at all toward's marketing to what a cushy corporation's hiring manager wants. Which was never my exact goal. Ideally I want to get into a small quirkier company/startup and increase my skill level and then go off on my own path.

Other people often will get their credits here for cheaper, get a general associates degree and then transfer to a 4 year. Slowlane stuff basically. Financially and logically it's a good decision.

One thing I'd especially watch out for is the student body though. I'd say 8/10 of the students at my CC who are around my age don't impress me the least. In my upper level courses you get a better ratio of intelligent and driven students (maybe 6/10) but still, the less productive people actually ended up contributing to slowing me down when I befriended them (& their life goals and patterns, everything that came with them). Not judging them, but their process was inadequate.

So if you go, make sure you have a specific goal in mind, suit your own purposes perfectly, get more out of it than anyone else in your class and stay away from people with toxic lifestyle's.
Did you live on campus?

By experience I meant the social experience.

botnickguy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jul 20, 2011
Detroit, Michigan
Did you live on campus?

By experience I meant the social experience.

HAHAHAHA. Glad you asked.

It's absolutely terrible, by default. In my case it's not as bad as it could be. If I was anywhere near shy it'd be a nightmare socially. Fortunately, when I was 17 I got tired of being terribly socially awkward and closed off and made it a goal to become an incredibly outgoing person. So I have the ability to pick out friends and make them fast.

Don't expect it to be like your state college where everyone is trying to socialize. At the end of the day the majority of kids are either in class, studying, eating, or walking out to their car ready to go home.

For a while I was so exhausted from the miserable social scene that I was considering going to my state school. But paying 50k plus interest just to get intoxicated and exchange words, thoughts & ideas with people who don't know anything about themselves or life success is not my definition of fun, or definition of wise.

Maybe that's a conservative mindset towards college but as far as I see it, college is a means to get educated, or market yourself to an employer. Nothing more, unless you're among people who are either extremely ambitious or who have experienced extreme success.

If you want the best social experience, go to the school in your state with the biggest sports teams, a huge student body and not the absolute highest standards. Over here that is Michigan State University. University of Michigan is generally regarded a better and more selective school, but State has the party scene. That being said, State isn't easy to get into.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

botnickguy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jul 20, 2011
Detroit, Michigan
Ye hahah that's what I was thinking. And there's people in their late 20s there too huh? So there's barely any parties?

There's 0 parties. I mean people party, as always. But nothing organized. Go to a school with prominent Greek life if you want that.

There are people of all ages. I'm 20 and it's not hard to relate to people even in their early 30s for me but you'll get people in their 40s & 50s and occasionally even high schoolers at the one I go to and so that's actually been interesting for me. Talk to someone with a masters degree who got laid off from a 120k/yr job and you'll start to see more and more why slowlane sucks.

Last edited:

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
I feel I can contribute a good amount to this thread, so here's my insight.

A little background first: I'm 21 years old now. I started at community college, transferred to a 4 year school, and now I'm at a point where I wish I hadn't gone to college looking back on it. *HOWEVER*, I would not, and I could not be at the level of self-awareness, personal development, and business building skills WITHOUT having gone down the paths of community college and 4 year school to get me there... Although they were not the direct reasons to my 'enlightenment' if you will, they certainly helped.

Community College
I didn't smart here because I was smart, but it certainly turned out to be a smart decision. Started out here because my grades were shit in high school and i didn't know what I was doing. I did two years and transferred

PROS
  • If you're going to transfer, you can get your general bullshit classes (Art histories, english writing, etc) done for CHEAP and carry the credits to the next school
  • If you're looking to learn a technical skill or a trade, this can be a great, cost effective way to get you the skill you want to develop
  • Tuition is very cheap so you can most likely stay out of debt and get yourself an associates.. (I did this)
  • You'll learn the shit you need to learn based on what it is you're taking
  • This is a good entry-level for meeting peers, or as I call them fellows of adventure..
  • Great way to get your feet wet... Learning, taking risks while being *SAFE*, there really isn't much at risk in a 2 year CC..
  • Great way to figure out what you want to do with your life by dabbling in different classes
CONS
  • The modern education system is a joke, so don't expect to get out of CC and be a fastlaner unless you are doing shit on the side like reading this forum and actually taking action outside the classroom
  • Most professors are in the slowlane and will not be able to mentor you to the place you want to go. It was frustrating for me to have professors tell me I was a real hustler and if I worked hard I could get a good accounting job for 70K a year. That was the last thing I wanted, but they thought that equaled success
  • Most students around you are either playing the 'safe' route by not taking risk to dive into a 4 year school or business or SOMETHING
  • Most students fall into one of these two categories: They're there because they're smart and have a gameplan (very small percentage), they're there because they don't give a F*ck and have no direction in life (large percentage), or they're there because it's safe and they aren't ready to step-up (inbetween small and medium percentage of people)
  • Social life / club involvements / life outside the classroom is minimal. It was always frustrating for me because i wanted to get involved in clubs and organizations but there were not that many you could get involved in.. I remember going to an organization fair and seeing shit like the book club, the bible club, or student senate. I tried to get on senate but by the time I found out about senate/ by the time I networked with those guys I was transferring schools
FOUR YEAR SCHOOL (For me, Business school)

PROS
  • With risk comes reward.. You get what you pay for, etc. You'll have a better opportunity to 'get a job' once you graduate.. NOTHING WRONG WITH GETTING A JOB if you have a PLAN to get in the fastlane. There are a LOT of things to LEARN... imagine you go to class all day and sit there. You're paying someone else to learn. Now imagine getting paid 50K a year and you sit and listen and go through training etc.. now YOU'RE GETTING PAID TO LEARN
  • Huge networking opportunities... 4 year schools, unless you go to a 30 person school (Yes those exist lol) you'll be able to meet a lot of people
  • With meeting a lot of people, plenty of room to develop your personal-relations skills, which is very important in business..
  • ample opportunities to get involved in clubs and organizations
  • Plenty of time to further develop what it is that interests you (What NICHE, maybe, that you want to dive into) - If you're at business school like me, there's still a lot to discover, like i mentioned, niche, etc..
  • Live on campus - Great way to get away from parents and start developing as a human being.. For most people 4 year school is their first break from mommy and daddy and the nest... That's why you see them let-loose and get hammered, get tied up in drama etc... It's their first time OUT.. (You can USE THIS TO YOUR ADVANTAGE, or your disadvantage..)
  • Financial aid can help you afford the school and not walk out with buttloads of debt that will keep you a slowlaner or sidewalker forever
CONS
  • Can be expensive
  • The time spent can be time wasted if you don't have your shit together (Just think about the majority of 18-21 year olds in college... Every night is a party)
  • The education system as I mentioned with CC, is the same. Professors are just that, professors. For the most part, they don't know jack about the fastlane..
  • Schools are designed to GEAR YOU TOWARDS GETTING A JOB.. So if you don't WANT a job, you better learn on your own time the skills you need to learn
  • Huge time constraint (Going to classes, living on campus, clubs and orgs, getting involved, hanging with friends... it's a freaking lifestyle you get sucked into when youre in college...)
  • Most people, again, do not have their shit together, so you will have plenty of opportunities to meet people and do your thing but 99% of the time they aren't going to be potential business partners.... Its unfortunate, but if everybody was doing it there wouldn't be a need to call it the fast-lane..
(As far as my final statement on wishing I hadn't gone to college..)

When you can decide that 'college isn't for me'

It took me *YEARS* to really get to a point and understanding in life about the fastlane, far before even stumbling across this forum or MJ DeMarco's book etc. I get the concept and it's something i've been telling myself i want to live for the past few years. Without college, I don't think i'd be quite there yet, but who really knows. Without college, I wouldn't have all the personal development skills I have, the personal relations skills, the personal relationships, the friends, the lessons, the knowledge, the experience (in a SAFETY NET, mind you), the failures, the wins, etc. Would I have been able to get all of that without college? Yes. Would it have been faster? I don't know. I can't turn the cards back in and get a new hand, I've already played out 2 years of community college and 2 years of 4 year school.

For those of you who consider college, look at what I wrote above and figure out if it's going to help you.
For those of you who are considering against college, I list you a few pieces of advice.

1. You better have a gameplan, and you better be ready to fail. There's nothing wrong WITH failing, you just need to LEARN from it
  2. You better have yourself pretty figured out, otherwise you need more time, more lessons, etc, and college can be a great way to develop all of that. What I mean by 'having yourself figured out' is a personal development piece. Most teens and young 20 year old guys aren't even close. Do you take care of your health? Do you understand why you act the way you act? Do you understand why you do the things you do? Have you taken the time to have deep consideration for the world and your fit in it? Do you take care of your health? Do you have a solid groundwork on LIFE? Do you have a routine that keeps you sane, fit, and ready to conquer the world? (Most top level performers don't just jump out of the bed and build businesses... they have certain key elements and things they do every day that keep them as a high performer, such as working out, reading books, finding and developing relationships with coaches and mentors who can guide them in the right direction, they take notes, they take action, they fail, they take more notes, they learn, they meditate, they stretch, do yoga, or some combination of the things i listed). Do you surround yourself with people who are helping you, not sabotaging you? Do you know WHY you need to surround yourself with those people?
There are way too many things to list, so let that be a good gist of ideas and food for thought for anyone thinking "College? That's the slow-lane.. I'll just go be a Richard Branson and start companies and make billions" -- Not so fast, there are a lot of intangibles that go into the successful equation that you need to understand far beyond just learning some business skills or coming up with ideas.

Get your shit together. Start young, and start early. Build relationships. Find mentors. Hire coaches. Ask questions. Think outside the box. Ask questions to people who are where you want to be. If you wouldn't want to trade shoes with them, take their advice with a grain of salt. Learn the power of rapport and relationship skills. Work out. Meditate. Have deep consideration and thought for the world. Find ways to add value.

Then, and only then, when you have the equation balanced on both sides, can you safely say "College isn't for me" and continue on your way to the fastlane.

Hope that helps anyone out there considering their options

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Ha ha! I quit the community college! It was worthless! Went to a Business private college and it was an awesome ride. But I do agree, it is what you make of it, I watched a seventy year old go college with me, so I don't think it matters what age. I do laugh at the ones that make a career out of going to college. And I laugh because they spend more time switching their majors and never graduate, have any goals, or a degree. And probably not Entrepreneurs. Not sure exactly, what they're doing. Than you have those that get out loans and show up for three weeks of class every term just to get loan refunds and drop the classes, and than drop out when they lose their grants and loans. You have the serious students, and the one's that come to school in pajama's and messy hair.

College is always an interesting place to watch and observe people. And they sit their complaining about how much money in food stamps they have when they got brand new clothes on and get their hair done every week.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
I'm in college now, but for a whole other reason than most. If I graduate or not doesn't matter to me. I'm essentially going to school to build up a business on the side so when I do finish/quit I'll be in a position where I wont have to get a job. Right now I'm doing the Kindle thing because I don't have to worry about storing a physical product in my studio apartment.

Of course, I'm going to school under different terms than most. It's 98% free, and I get a monthly housing allowance which is just enough to survive.

I love the whole "what kind of job are you getting with that degree?" Bitch I ain't getting any job, ever. Tried that after I got out the Marines, everyone was just too happy being mediocre. Not for me. Still made me go to a career fair for a grade though, which I just flirted with the women and ate free candy.

So fun.

botnickguy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jul 20, 2011
Detroit, Michigan
A lot of jobs can help you further yourself using the knowledge of people who choose to spend their whole lives in a certain line of work. I feel like certain sales and dev jobs can be useful for a newbie.

And community colleges are useful for the right people. You know what classes I've taken besides programming and computer science classes for my specific program? None. 44 credit program that will give you 80 percent of the field specific knowledge that the 4 year, 128 credit students have at approximately 1/10th the cost and 1/4th the time.

A lot of those 4 year students are asking me for advice right now. Not that their program isn't more intensive than mine, but I'm 20 and already writing software where as some of my peers haven't even gotten started on learning theory. They have an edge in the slowlane. For me, a 50k tab, 3 more years in school, as well as the opportunity costs and mindset that come with it all weren't among my interests. I'm sure it's right for them but I've been very satisfied with my community college experience. It's been well worth it.

Last edited:

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
I'm in college now, but for a whole other reason than most. If I graduate or not doesn't matter to me. I'm essentially going to school to build up a business on the side so when I do finish/quit I'll be in a position where I wont have to get a job. Right now I'm doing the Kindle thing because I don't have to worry about storing a physical product in my studio apartment.

Of course, I'm going to school under different terms than most. It's 98% free, and I get a monthly housing allowance which is just enough to survive.

I love the whole "what kind of job are you getting with that degree?" Bitch I ain't getting any job, ever. Tried that after I got out the Marines, everyone was just too happy being mediocre. Not for me. Still made me go to a career fair for a grade though, which I just flirted with the women and ate free candy.

So fun.

That's what i'm trying to gear my last year and a half towards.. if i even finish the 1.5 years. I've got some student debt, but i've set myself up financially to be able to get here and get by

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
If you're young and want to go the programming route, sign up for one of the many hacking bootcamps that have sprouted across North America...

http://www.skilledup.com/articles/the-ultimate-guide-to-coding-bootcamps-the-exhaustive-list/

I did one in Toronto, now I'm gainfully employed as a full time web dev, building apps on my spare time (when I'm not partying ;P).

I got a college degree hanging somewhere...it's completely irrelevant though.

What are you celebrating?

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
@ChrisJHarrington being given the gift of life, and all its sensuous pleasures.

Build your fastlane bro, no time to celebrate. I was searching for the quote but i couldn't find it. It goes something like "People party every Friday night but what are they celebrating?"

D.Eodice

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Dec 9, 2011
Germany...at the moment
I joined the military and didn't get started with college until recently. It's paid for, and I get an extra $1200/m for going to school "full time", and I enjoy the challenge. I was always a horrible student in high school, because I was always more into self-study. I passed classes, obtained the same degree as my peers with A's and B's. Now that I'm a 4.0 student, it kind of adds credibility to my business through the people that know me. Plus, it adds some satisfaction and confidence to my own agenda.

Not to mention, in my situation anyways, it cannot hurt. Any comments?

I too joined the military and can say that the experience and GI bill have been HUGE. The experience has been invaluable - it's helped me get the grounding in the field where I want to launch a business. And since a degree is required to fully understand the field, the GI bill and TA (tuition assitance) have saved me from all the debt nonsense like I had when I was an undergrad.

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
Build your fastlane bro, no time to celebrate. I was searching for the quote but i couldn't find it. It goes something like "People party every Friday night but what are they celebrating?"

Chris, you seem like a nice guy, and I read your intro/progress thread.

But you should watch how you present yourself--your writing.

I could tell you that I've been unsocial, and a hermit for the last year or so, hardly went out, lost most of my friends, and made 0 progress on any fastlane ventures. And that in the last few weeks of my life, I've finally stabilized at a learning-orientated slowlane, took control of my fitness, and brought back my confidence in spades. But I won't tell you that. Because you don't have any right to judge me in such a patronizing tone.

So, next time you want to make a suggestion, take a moment to consider how to frame it.

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
Chris, you seem like a nice guy, and I read your intro/progress thread.

But you should watch how you present yourself--your writing.

I could tell you that I've been unsocial, and a hermit for the last year or so, hardly went out, lost most of my friends, and made 0 progress on any fastlane ventures. And that in the last few weeks of my life, I've finally stabilized at a learning-orientated slowlane, took control of my fitness, and brought back my confidence in spades. But I won't tell you that. Because you don't have any right to judge me in such a patronizing tone.

So, next time you want to make a suggestion, take a moment to consider how to frame it.

No need to get angry. I didn't mean to offend, I was just sharing what I felt was in good spirits.

I commend you on your achievements, and you're right, I don't know or have the right to judge. In fact, that wasn't my intention.
We all need to take the time to pat ourselves on the back and celebrate our successes. I just wanted to provide a bit of motivation, a nudge of 'Good job, now keep going' if you will.

I apologize if you interpreted it differently or if my wording came off as harsh. What my message was meant to be interpreted as : Great job, commend yourself, and keep going!! Eyes on the prize. Progress is progress, and i'm sure you have a great support group on here to keep you trucking forward. I believe in you.

I can assure you i'm not on here to beat people down or crush dreams. I'm here to gain as much insight as I can, as this is an investment of my time. And while i'm here, I try to contribute as much as I can in any way I can.

Alan LT

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Nov 1, 2014
South Florida
I'm a high school senior and I decided to attend community college next year after all the thinking I've done. I'm still focus on the fastlane, but if something happens I would like to have some to fall on. I take having a STEM degree (anything but STEM is probably worthless) is like having a gun for my situation. I hope I don't have to use it, but there's is a slight possibility I might.
Excuse me, if my comparison is a bit off, but I hope you get the point.

I think as long as I continue to self-educate myself and apply all the knowledge to a fastlane idea, I think I will be okay. Right now, I don't have a job, but I consider myself a decent front-end developer. So, I just need to start freelancing.

& also since I will attend community college and have financial aid, I will have a little bit of extra money in my pocket [NO DEBT].

after I finish two years at the community college I'll go to an University and enjoy that college experience.

julien515

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 19, 2011
I'm a high school senior and I decided to attend community college next year after all the thinking I've done. I'm still focus on the fastlane, but if something happens I would like to have some to fall on. I take having a STEM degree (anything but STEM is probably worthless) is like having a gun for my situation. I hope I don't have to use it, but there's is a slight possibility I might.

I think as long as I continue to self-educate myself and apply all the knowledge to a fastlane idea, I think I will be okay. Right now, I don't have a job, but I consider myself a decent front-end developer. So, I just need to start freelancing.

& also since I will attend community college and have financial aid, I will have a little bit of extra money in my pocket [NO DEBT].

after I finish two years at the community college I'll go to an University and enjoy that college experience.

Doing anything STEM related will set you up for a good future.... Trust me. As much as having a regular job is frowned upon here I really think it's basically fast lane if you play it right.

I work as a lead DBA for a company called Optum. I work from home 4 days a week and even when I'm in the office I'm usually there from 10-3 "on Fridays for weekly meetings" I bill 40hrs a week but actually work like 25. They pay me $60 an hour plus benefits and 401k matching. I also do some freelance work on the side and still work less than 40hrs. So I make well into the 6figure range and I recently moved to dallas TX so cost of living is next to nothing. I save about half of what I make so I'll be set for retirement in about 10 years "by my mid 30's". Seems pretty damn close to fastlane to me.

wbrett1027

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Feb 15, 2015
Most people who go to college, have no clue what they want to be or need college to get a certification they want to be, then later realize that college is just a bunch of bs, I'll be upward of 85k this year with no college degree, I have friends that are making 100k and barley made it through college , college is a waste and a joke UNLESS you need it!
A lot of the millionaires and billionaires never went to college, there's tons of things you can do to make money it's where you want to apply yourself, I talked to many people about going to college for a business degree and they told me don't, learn the business and open

Not to mention the 200k dollar debt you will be in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

julien515

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 19, 2011
Most people who go to college, have no clue what they want to be or need college to get a certification they want to be, then later realize that college is just a bunch of bs, I'll be upward of 85k this year with no college degree, I have friends that are making 100k and barley made it through college , college is a waste and a joke UNLESS you need it!
A lot of the millionaires and billionaires never went to college, there's tons of things you can do to make money it's where you want to apply yourself, I talked to many people about going to college for a business degree and they told me don't, learn the business and open

Not to mention the 200k dollar debt you will be in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapat
  1. 6063 Isla Verde Ave, Carolina, PR 00979, Puerto Rico
alk

I agree that most college kids have no clue what they want to do. However I was responding to Alan LT who said he wants to do something STEM related so that doesn't really apply here.
My GF studied cyber security at the university of Maryland. Got a full ride due to maintaining a 3.75 or above and made 90k straight out of school at age 20. I know for a fact tuition at UMD is around 15k a year for classes and books, ect..."this is excluding board

julien515

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 19, 2011
o

I would recommend you get some it certifications. Such as A+, microsoft MCP, security +, and maybe a Cisco cert CCNA. You get those you can make 60k+ while still in school. Then graduate with both a degree and experience, puts you ahead of the pack by miles.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Get off your a$$ in high school and get some of the billions of dollars in scholarships that are available. Rather than earning $7.00/hr flipping burgers, earn $3000 for writing a 1,000 word essay on environmental conservation, $10,000 for a project developing algorithms for 2D video processing, etc. I once won $5000 by memorizing a historical document word for word and reciting it; I calculated the return on time, it was like getting paid $83/hr. Know many high school jobs that pay that kind of salary?

If college is free or nearly free, it's a no brainer-you can even use the tons of spare time you have in college to explore and build a fast-lane. I paid off all my (interest-delayed) student loans with pocket change in the first pay period they came due, my entire education cost less than I make in a month today.

Last edited:

Alan LT

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Nov 1, 2014
South Florida
o

I would recommend you get some it certifications. Such as A+, microsoft MCP, security +, and maybe a Cisco cert CCNA. You get those you can make 60k+ while still in school. Then graduate with both a degree and experience, puts you ahead of the pack by miles.
Thanks, I already got a few certification in adobe

cautiouscapy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 30, 2012
UK

Then why not start offering training in that - could you even get work at your college - and use the income from that to pay for more technical certification like that mentioned by julien155.

I guess you could also offer a flyer-design service which you can probably sell to other on-campus businesses; especially if you organize the printing too via a local print shop who will give you a discount, or an online printer who offers "white label" services to people like graphic designers

Last edited:

julien515

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 19, 2011

Awesome, what sort of Adobe software is the cert for? I would recommend looking at IT jobs on monster, dice, and other Job boards and get the some of the certs that are in demand for those jobs. When I was in school I worked a night shift help desk job. They paid me 25$ per hour but since it was at night I didn't get that many calls/emails. I was able to do all my HW and study while at work and went to class in the day. I'm sure you could find a similar job in your area, and when you do you'll be golden until you graduate.

My advice would be to save as much as you can and learn as much as you can. Starting a business requires both knowledge and money. Look at how the company runs and think of services you could offer them, or how you could provide the same service they do but do it better/cheaper.

julien515

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 19, 2011
Then why not start offering training in that - could you even get work at your college - and use the income from that to pay for more technical certification like that mentioned by julien155.

I guess you could also offer a flyer-design service which you can probably sell to other on-campus businesses; especially if you organize the printing too via a local print shop who will give you a discount, or an online printer who offers "white label" services to people like graphic designers

As much as you seem to dislike the idea of college I think something like 70% of millionaires have at least a bachelors degree in America. So that should say something about the correlation between a degree and success.

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
As much as you seem to dislike the idea of college I think something like 70% of millionaires have at least a bachelors degree in America. So that should say something about the correlation between a degree and success.

Correlation is not causation.

julien515

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 19, 2011
Correlation is not causation.

I suppose that's one way to look at it.

I'm not saying you need to go to college to be successful. All I'm saying is that there are benefits to it. And the notion that college is just waist of time and money is rediculous.

To each is own though, way the cost and pluses of college and from their decide if it makes sense for you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.