The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Difficult decision: Another "do I go to college" thread.

Idea threads

TimoS.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Oct 10, 2022
Hi, I am currently 17 years old and have successfully finished school in 7 months. However, I am facing a big decision. Either I go to university or I try to build my own Fastlane Business.
The last few weeks I have been searching daily for good business ideas but haven't found any good ones yet. I think I'm approaching it the wrong way because I'm subconsciously focusing on inventing something completely new instead of "copying" an existing product and improving it. Also, I often devote my attention to big topic areas where big players already control the market or my ideas are way too big to implement on my own. How do I find problems in already existing markets that can be solved as an individual with a lot of research and time?
No one ever said the Fastlane Journey would be easy, but I honestly don't know what to do. Should I go to university and think about a business during or after, or should I keep brainstorming now until I come up with a good idea so I can start out early. I just think that the university years will be a very nice experience in life and that I can dedicate myself to my business afterwards, but at the same time I also think that the university years are actually wasted time and that I should rather focus on my business now and for the next few years, so that I experience success at an early age or fail. At least then I'll be younger than I was after graduation and can either focus on the next idea and enjoy my life to the fullest.
Additionally, while my parents will support me on my Journey, they will worry about what happens if the businesses are not a success. Then I won't have a safety net like I do after graduating and I would probably be mentally screwed.
What would you do in my situation and what factors would your final decision be based on?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Is uni FREE in your country?

If you can't find ideas, you don't understand the nature of Fastlane, or understand the concept of value skew. That tells me you need to stay in school. Value skew isn't covered much in TMF, but moreso in the later books.

TimoS.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Oct 10, 2022
Is uni FREE in your country?

If you can't find ideas, you don't understand the nature of Fastlane, or understand the concept of value skew. That tells me you need to stay in school. Value skew isn't covered much in TMF, but moreso in the later books.
sounds reasonable. I think I will go to university(not free) and continue to educate myself about fastlane, finances and buissness so that I am well prepared for my fastlane journey. In addition, I can also create a business during university if I manage my time properly. Thanks for the quick reply

Happyheart

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Dec 11, 2020
sounds reasonable. I think I will go to university(not free) and continue to educate myself about fastlane, finances and buissness so that I am well prepared for my fastlane journey. In addition, I can also create a business during university if I manage my time properly. Thanks for the quick reply
You may also form connections with people who can help you in the future.

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
I faced the same decision before. I didn't have any skills so I focused on developing a skill. I niched down on a specific skill that benefits a specific market. So far, so good with the things that are going.

If uni doesn't land you in student debt then I guess it's fine to go. I'm trying to get into uni on a scholarship basis so I really can't tell you whether to go to uni or not. High possibility that I might go on a gap year.

Albert KOUADJA

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Mar 13, 2022
Hi, I am currently 17 years old and have successfully finished school in 7 months. However, I am facing a big decision. Either I go to university or I try to build my own Fastlane Business.
The last few weeks I have been searching daily for good business ideas but haven't found any good ones yet. I think I'm approaching it the wrong way because I'm subconsciously focusing on inventing something completely new instead of "copying" an existing product and improving it. Also, I often devote my attention to big topic areas where big players already control the market or my ideas are way too big to implement on my own. How do I find problems in already existing markets that can be solved as an individual with a lot of research and time?
No one ever said the Fastlane Journey would be easy, but I honestly don't know what to do. Should I go to university and think about a business during or after, or should I keep brainstorming now until I come up with a good idea so I can start out early. I just think that the university years will be a very nice experience in life and that I can dedicate myself to my business afterwards, but at the same time I also think that the university years are actually wasted time and that I should rather focus on my business now and for the next few years, so that I experience success at an early age or fail. At least then I'll be younger than I was after graduation and can either focus on the next idea and enjoy my life to the fullest.
Additionally, while my parents will support me on my Journey, they will worry about what happens if the businesses are not a success. Then I won't have a safety net like I do after graduating and I would probably be mentally screwed.
What would you do in my situation and what factors would your final decision be based on?
If I'm going to talk about college, maybe I'll discourage you.what i can say is follow your heart and do what won't cause you unnecessary trouble. like going into debt to get a college degree and then coming back to get a job that doesn't match that college degree. in any case, do what seems good to you since we can give you the best advice in this world but in the end the final decision must be up to you. So that afterwards you can't blame someone else in case things go wrong.

Feuertaufe

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 26, 2021
Germany
Why dont you study and build a good foundation? Studying for me was a door opener for some good positions where you can learn more skills. First the theoretical side than practical. Build your Business next to your job.

I wouldnt study in a country in which you have to spend a fortune. Its terrible. Education should be free. Why dont you study in a different country where education is for free?

Muusa

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Feb 15, 2022
Paraguay
It really depends on you, if you go to university what course will you pick and how will it help you in finding a fastlane business to pursue. I am currently going through the same situation as you and I would recommend that you take a gap year and fully focus on finding a fastlane business idea to peruse as university is a big decision that should not be taken lightly especially when it when it is not free as it will cost you time and money.

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
That is only your decision to make but i must admit that college years where the best in my life so far.
It is not only about the subjects you learn, but about they people you meet and experience you get
I'm already seeing this. We've got countless species at college. Feels like a bubble where everyone is oblivious to reality.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

Simple answer. Do both.

Robdavis

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
I'll give you my view on this general issue. I think that the risk with going to university is that the system will encourage you to study for the sake of studying. In other words what happens is you may do the wrong degree.

I think that what should happen is that people should leave school around 18 or so and then get a basic job to have experience of working and focus on understanding what they want out of life. What is your purpose?
Once you have some idea of your purpose you should then know what to do. My belief is that someone's purpose should be their way of helping other people. So 'How would you like to help others?' should give you an answer. Don't worry if your purpose changes or shifts with time, just 'find a direction' and 'go that way'.

I would expect that in many people's cases they would work out their purpose, at least approximately and then realize that they need either a particular career or business and then some higher skills to complement that. That means either taking time out from work to go to university later, (but knowing why you're there) or doing part time study whilst working.
For example, say you get a basic job and then after a while get a different job working at a law firm and you love it. In that case you know that you want to be a lawyer, your entrepreneur ideas are binned, you quit your job, go to university to do a law degree and then join another law firm afterwards.

An alternative example might be that you might not like work much, but like the idea of having 'the bosses job' and so become more motivated to start your own business.

At the very least I would suggest that you take a year out and try working just to get a change from formal education which is probably all that you really know at the moment.

If you are still thinking about starting your own business try the following resources:
MJ's video here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_58zPgArb4

This thread: GOLD! - Getting started is this simple...

Hope this helps and enjoy the adventure, whatever you choose to do.

TimoS.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Oct 10, 2022
Thank you all for your suggestions. You really helped me with my decision!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.