• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Trading Life for a Weekend?
    Build a Business, Build a Life.
    Unleash the Dream.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is an entrepreneurial business strategy that unleashes dreams, frees time, and explodes your incomes—but more importantly, it changes your life forever. Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.

FREE Download (Unscripted) FREE Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.

GOLD GO TO COLLEGE... A little Rant.

Discussion in 'Lessons from Success/Failure' started by JackEdwards, Aug 21, 2012.

1. JackEdwards

JackEdwards Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $39,662
    On this site, over and over, people ask, should I go to school, It's free, it's expensive, is it a waste of time? It's this or that.

Let me tell you something. For all your wanting to be great, for all your needing to be great, for all the lies you tell yourself about how great you are.

You are probably not and odds are you are going to fail. Sorry but it is true. Business is tough, if you think School is hard, wait tell you open a business.

It's 4, well maybe for some of you slow ones 6 years. from 18-22... Go get the experience. Go live your life, have fun.

Do you really think all those losers who do nothing but party and bang chicks are going to be sad in 10 years.

They might be, but they are going to have some great memories..

You on the other hand took a shot, it failed, and all the memories you got out of 18-22 is your business failing, your parents yelling at you, you losing friends. etc.

I myself never went to college, and I am one of the lucky ones who made money right out of the gate. But most of you won't be lucky. Trust me on that.

Go to School, have fun. learn. Open a business if you have to and see. Even the great Bills Gates had a business going before he dropped out.

Mukul, hatzil, Salama2017 and 56 others like this.
  2. Skys

Skys Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $390
    Nice!

3. Tiger

Tiger Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $188
    Good thoughts Jack.

Let me add though, please don't get yourself in debt to go to college. School debt has now exceeded credit card debt as the top source of consumer debt. You cannot get out from under it, even from bankruptcy.

The world has quickly changed. Universities no longer hold the monopoly on knowledge as they have for centuries. Until the past few years, they were the gatekeepers of wisdom and financial success. No longer. The internet has opened up the books of knowledge to the masses of the world. You no longer need to get into debt, mortgage your future and subject yourself to the sociopolitical brainwashing of university professors to obtain the knowledge you desire.

I'm not saying don't go to college; Just don't get yourself into debt doing it. And don't do it because you think it's necessary to become financially successful today.

Like Jack said, do it for the memories. Do it for the relationships and connections. Do it for the experience and fun. Just don't get into debt.

4. Vigilante

Vigilante Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $142,605
  5. TK1

TK1 Silver Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $819
    College, drinking, party and banging or own business, drinking, party and banging...

whatever you pick: Anything but joining some MLM crap :D

6. Amail

Amail Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,788
    I thought rumors of your book were just that!

1 person likes this.
  7. stolpioni

stolpioni Banned

Rep Bank:
    $5
    What if you're already over 22, party a lot already and have found yourself in the world. Now you want to get on the road to money as quick as possible to enjoy the fruits while young. Would you still say go to College?

Sharilli likes this.
  8. Vigilante

Vigilante Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $142,605
    First half is slow lane jobs for slow lane people. Second half is awesome though... an alphabetical listing of several hundred people who made it HUGE with no college degree.

The intro and the alphabetical listing are worth the cost of the book.

:)

1 person likes this.
  9. Vigilante

Rep Bank:
    $142,605
    no --- for the most part, there's only 2 reasons to go to college :

1. to postpone adulthood for a while or
    2. because you want to enter a field, such as being an automotive engineer, that require it

I am more and more convinced that business degrees are worth almost nothing.

Mukul, ColbyG, Martin Kocher and 21 others like this.
  10. Skys

Rep Bank:
    $390
    Let's say you enter the world of consultancy (can make lots of money there slowlane, make a book about your expertise..or hire employees..to get fastlane), do you think a degree might matter in those cases? Wouldn't a company want to see that you know what you are talking about?

That's probably what you meant with the second?

11. Tiger

Rep Bank:
    $188
    There are many things that can be fastlane eventually but there are also fast and slow on-ramps to the fastlane ;)

12. cilaes

cilaes Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $88
    I joined the military and didn't get started with college until recently. It's paid for, and I get an extra $1200/m for going to school "full time", and I enjoy the challenge. I was always a horrible student in high school, because I was always more into self-study. I passed classes, obtained the same degree as my peers with A's and B's. Now that I'm a 4.0 student, it kind of adds credibility to my business through the people that know me. Plus, it adds some satisfaction and confidence to my own agenda.

Not to mention, in my situation anyways, it cannot hurt. Any comments?

mayana likes this.
  13. Vigilante

Rep Bank:
    $142,605
    I did consulting for Bose (the #1 speaker manufacturer in terms of marketshare in the world). They didn't care what piece of paper (or lack thereof) I had. They wanted what I knew from first hand experience. So, for me... no degree was required. The degree doesn't demonstrate you know ANYTHING. At least half of all people that emerge from 4 year institutions in 5 or 6 years with a degree in hand majored in drinking and volley ball.

The people that generally are impressed with higher education for the most part are other people with higher education. In the United States, 50% of high school kids go on to college. Of those 50% that go into college as Freshman, less than HALF of them ever graduate. So, 25% of the United States population has a degree. Of that 25%, it is estimated that somewhere in the neighborhood of 75% of them are not working in their field of "expertise."

Unless you want a specific vocation that requires it, a degree is not a requirement for 80%-90% of the United States population.

AndreHimself, Nakor, Twista and 9 others like this.
  14. Kuz

Kuz Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $208
    College is jokes. Depressing waste of time. At 31, i've only kept two solid friends from that period - neither of whome I've seen in more than a year.

Most of the friends i "chill" with are (ex)work colleagues, random roommates, people at my MMA training facility and girls i bang - i.e going out and meeting girls in bars, clubs, the street, internet dating site (on a relentless basis) some broad i bumped into the airport a few weeks ago. etc. etc.

College was a depressing whole that i left me in a mountain of debt, scraping by barely enough to eat - going several days in a row without food cos i was LITERALLLY BROKE, partying way to hard on hard drugs i shouldn't have touched - and, in fact, hardly having any sex at ALL

A desperate lonely time for.

Did a "HIstory" degree - learnt NOTHING that i couldn't have gleaned from watching the Discovery challenge and reading books, which i do avidly anyway.

As for my writing talent which i exploit, yeah, part of that was honed with the sophisticated essay skills I develoiped at uni - but i did not need to be slaughtered for four years to do that.

Mass college education is a SCAM that feeds these overblown university systems with untold wealth

Jaren, jon2089, NFT and 7 others like this.
  15. Vigilante

Rep Bank:
    $142,605
    cilaes --- in your situation, I am with you 100%. The fact that it is paid for makes it totally worthwhile. There's NO downside for you.

16. Vigilante

Rep Bank:
    $142,605
    where do you live ciales?

17. socaldude

socaldude Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,696
    College is fantastic. As a senior in college majoring in finance I am totally satisfied with the decision. You gain a new perspective in life. Girls everywhere. Partying. Some of the professors were successful entrepreneurs, they help a lot. A shit load of entrepreneur programs. A big ass library filled with business books. Very interesting classes(i'm taking RE development this year :)) You become way more liberal(at least for me) lol.

BUT you have to pay attention to the COST. State universities cost around 20k a year to attend; 7k for tuition and 13k for housing. Thats the MINIMUM its gonna cost you except if you go to a community college. If you go private were talking 30-50k a year.

For the most part yeah a business degree is pretty useless. Its not what it used to be. Its not a safety net anymore. Why? The market is so saturated. Business degrees are a dime a dozen for employers.

I totally agree with Jackedwards point that most entrepreneurs think that theyre gonna kick ass in business right off the Fckn bat from high school. Some will but most don't. Thats why i think people should take a year off before making a decision.

ColbyG, Kingmaker, Bila and 5 others like this.
  18. Skys

Rep Bank:
    $390
    Where I live, it's not so much about what you study, but more about the prove you have a certain intelligence that comes with a certain type of degree. That means, like Vigilante says, that you might end up in a job which you did not study for in college.

If you are young, you can go to college for free while working on your business with all the free time available. I really think that's the smartest move. The number 1 argument is 'college is a waste of time'. I disagree. I disagree a lot actually. You spend 3/4 years of your time getting a degree. It's not that you work 24/7 on getting your degree. So, how you spend your free time, can be as valueable as you make it. Partying or building a business, your choice. When you are done, most are 22.. 23. What did you lose? Not much. What did you win? First, a degree. You can atleast work a job that pays well if your entrepreneurship dreams fail and you have to provide for your family (or just yourself). Second, you have build a network. Thirth, you have wonderful memories.

I really don't see how so many people can be so against it. I am not convinced.

19. Kak

Kak Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $24,521
    College does not teach you how to be a consultant in anything. Experience does.

Mukul, itech, MB2 and 1 other person like this.
  20. MMatt

MMatt Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,023
    I've been graduated from high school for two years now and I must say i am a bit jealous of the college life of my buddies however they are usually getting free rides from parents or are burying themselves in dept.

The sole reason I'd like to go is for the experience. That being said I can hold an intelligent conversation about finances/business with my college bound buddies while my knowledge comes only from books.

So, is having fun worth every penny I've saved up to this point? I have yet to justify that.

Magnor and A.I. Woods like this.
  21. cilaes

cilaes Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $88
    My name is not a E.D. drug. Mannn, I'll have to get that changed.

Anyways, I'm back and forth. Louisville at the moment. Why?

Sully1994, Nefario, Dan131 and 2 others like this.
  22. Tiger

Rep Bank:
    $188
    There's your problem. ;) That should change when you return to reality.

Nakor, JDRose, DeletedUser394 and 2 others like this.
  23. Skys

Rep Bank:
    $390
    I agree. Expierence is ofcourse big in consultancy. When you have been selling product for a decade, people will not look at your degree when you sell yourself as a consultant.

If you are in a different kind of business, lets say, you are a coperate internal auditor, I think you get asked for your degree.

24. Vigilante

Rep Bank:
    $142,605
    I wasn't sure if you were in the United States or not... but since you are... THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE to this great country. :thankyousign:

25. socaldude

socaldude Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,696
    I second that. :patriot:

Speaking of service. You can join the Air Force right out of high school for four years and go to a state university full time. You get FREE housing and FREE 4 meals a day at a U.S. air base!! PLUS I think they will pay half of your tuition. So lets say its 3.5k/year times 4 years thats 14k for bachelors degree!!!!