The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Freedom as an entrepreneur (Amusing PM w/Freelancer)

Anything related to matters of the mind

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thought you guys might find this amusing.

gxZQQTM.png

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
This conversation rings so true. Once you leave the 9-5 and really work on your own...anytime and anywhere you want...

It's hard to describe. Some days you work so hard you're exhausted to the bone. Fall asleep in seconds.

Some days you hop in your truck in the middle of the day, put the windows down and the radio up. Drive to town with sunshine in your face and actually get to smile because that's what freedom feels like. Take your time on the way...don't have to rush because your boss came with you. Watch everybody else zoom by. Always in a hurry.

No lines for you. They're all at work.
No traffic for you. They're all at work.

You just take your time. Take it slow. Remember what it's like to live right now, because your head's not filled with anger and drama just for $10 bucks an hour. Listen to birds chirp, feel wind against your face...experience life and know you control your destiny.

Forever Fastlane freedom.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I think that's why most of us are here really. We are sick of working for someone else. I know I'm sick of having no control over my sales.

Parent company raised drug price by $300, customers pissed off, insurance companies put harder restrictions on approvals. My numbers go down.

Parent company contracts with a new clearing house. Suddenly half my sales numbers disappear because most of the pharmacies don't use this clearing house. I lose sales.

Suddenly we have a qualifier on our commission. We don't get commission unless we follow their targeting sheet and see all these doctors with no business value.

Sorry, that turned into a rant. But I'm sure every single person here that wants to create their own path in life has had these moments and those moments remind them why they want to be in control.

Nicoknowsbest

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
395%
Mar 31, 2014
Austria
This conversation rings so true. Once you leave the 9-5 and really work on your own...anytime and anywhere you want...

It's hard to describe. Some days you work so hard you're exhausted to the bone. Fall asleep in seconds.

Some days you hop in your truck in the middle of the day, put the windows down and the radio up. Drive to town with sunshine in your face and actually get to smile because that's what freedom feels like. Take your time on the way...don't have to rush because your boss came with you. Watch everybody else zoom by. Always in a hurry.

You just take your time. Take it slow. Remember what it's like to live right now, because your head's not filled with anger and drama just for $10 bucks an hour. Listen to birds chirp, feel wind against your face...experience life and know you control your destiny.

Got goosebumps reading this.

You are one hell of a writer (still thinking about me in that truck, cruising, with rolled up sleeves and breathing in warm air through the open window), haha ;)

Pretty much sums it up @Andy Black, thanks for sharing! :)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Featured post!

It's hard to describe.

Significant research shows that autonomy is the key to happiness. We Fastlaner's have autonomy and the amount of hours we "work" is not relevant-- the freedom to pursue our goals on our timeline is truly priceless. And even better, eventually the money follows.

And yes, it is hard to describe.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Featured post!

Significant research shows that autonomy is the key to happiness. We Fastlaner's have autonomy and the amount of hours we "work" is not relevant-- the freedom to pursue our goals on our timeline is truly priceless. And even better, eventually the money follows.

And yes, it is hard to describe.
I'm hanging onto the 'eventually the money follows' part for now.

but yeah, the freedom to make my own mistakes and learn from them instead of having them show up in my annual performance review is worth it for just that alone.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
It takes a while to wrap your head around it, that's what makes it so hard to describe.

You have to live it for a while.

The pleasure for me doesn't come from having expensive toys.

It's the really simple things.

Going to the gym at 8am when it's empty.

Having a pub lunch at 12 noon before the crowds and queues.

Walking past a traffic jam on the way home from the gym wondering why it's there at 9am. Surely people are in work by now? Oh well, back to my Snapchat story. Dum-dee-dum.

Taking a couple of weeks off without asking permission, but still having money coming in, and my team working away on projects.

Sitting on a bench in town, watching the wind move the leaves in the trees. Hearing the birds singing. Watching people scurrying about their day, on someone else's clock.

Noticing that old people are doing the same, with a faint smile on their face.

I've tried to capture this in some of my Snapchat stories (see the #AndyTalks thread) I don't know whether I managed, or did it justice.

It's worth people realising they can significantly change their lives by working for themselves - even if it's still a j.o.b. that they've effectively created, and long before they're into Lambo territory.

EDIT: Thank you @SinisterLex for seeing beyond the humour in the conversation and turning this into a much deeper and more interesting discussion.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
the freedom to make my own mistakes and learn from them instead of having them show up in my annual performance review is worth it for just that alone.
Yeah, we only have one boss - the market.

We don't have to wait a year to get feedback, and we don't have to wonder what she really meant - she's brutally honest.

We're not rewarded for our colour or creed, for our degrees or certificates, for how long we worked, or how busy we've been.

It takes a while to unlearn that no-one cares about the inputs, that the market won't pay for activity.

It takes a while to learn that being busy is not our goal.

We can't invoice for input, only output.

We're rewarded purely on our ability to add value, coupled with our ability to get paid.

Simple rules yet so many paths.

The common theme is we're all free to choose our path, and change our path.

FiftySeven

Sex. Power. World Domination.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
479%
Jan 18, 2015
LandoftheBlind where one-laser-eyed man is King
It takes a while to wrap your head around it, that's what makes it so hard to describe.

Walking past a traffic jam on the way home from the gym wondering why it's there at 9am. Surely people are in work by now? Oh well, back to my Snapchat story. Dum-Dee-dum.

Taking a couple of weeks off without asking permission, but still having money coming in, and my team working away on projects.

Sitting on a bench in town, watching the wind move the leaves in the trees. Hearing the birds singing. Watching people scurrying about their day, on someone else's clock.

I've tried to capture some of this in some of my Snapchat stories (see the [HASHTAG]#AndyTalks[/HASHTAG] thread) I don't know whether I managed, or did it justice.

It's worth people realising they can significantly change their lives by working for themselves - even if it's still a j.o.b. that they've effectively created, and long before they're into Lambo territory.

EDIT: Thank you @SinisterLex from seeing beyond the humour in the conversation and turning this into a much deeper and more interesting discussion.

Reads like a poem... ;)

Thanks, Andy

'57

FiftySeven

Sex. Power. World Domination.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
479%
Jan 18, 2015
LandoftheBlind where one-laser-eyed man is King

2 poets on the same thread... ;)

G

Guest34764

Walking past a traffic jam on the way home from the gym wondering why it's there at 9am. Surely people are in work by now? Oh well, back to my Snapchat story. Dum-dee-dum.

Somehow made me pretty emotional, this is the life I'm really going for.

Well done.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015

I've tried to capture this in some of my Snapchat stories (see the [HASHTAG]#AndyTalks[/HASHTAG] thread) I don't know whether I managed, or did it justice.

EDIT: Thank you @SinisterLex from seeing beyond the humour in the conversation and turning this into a much deeper and more interesting discussion.

Andy Black, I admire your wisdom. Your are a wise man and you are a truely amazing person.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Random_0

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Aug 4, 2016

It's funny how much I take this for granted...

It's crazy to think that anyone could choose to not live like this

Last edited:

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Ive had one of those recently, I rode on a bicycle to a coastal town in Spain a couple of weeks ago, it was around 11am, but sun was just starting to peak through the clouds. Shopkeepers came outside and were writing up menus and arranging the stock. The sea ahead in the distance, then quiet...the calmness and the feeling you're alive.

Grocery stores when no one is around and you have plenty of time are good too. :)

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Moved from the "Funnies" section to the "Mindset, Motivation, and Choices" section.

For me, it's less about the destination and more about how we get there.

I talk about it here:

Thread move inspired by this scarey thread:

SparksCW

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
Dec 14, 2015
South, UK
Great post but here's something really important....

When you quit the "job" and become "free" then your "boss" = your customers and gaining them is solely down to you. (even when you have a team, you're in charge). Be it customers, sales, referrals, YouTube views.. money comes solely from people. Nothing else!

So the point being....

When you go from a job, being tied to the office, having to ask permission, rules and regulations..... to being "free" and working for yourself, don't forget to make time for the "freedom" things you dream of from being your own boss. Even when you're "waiting" for the money to roll in.... don't wait for that "event" where you can suddenly start doing things when other people are working a 9-5. Because if you do wait for it, when you get there, you won't even know what to do!

I became "free" a few months back but I've been following a relatively strict routine and have mostly tied myself to my office. Not what I had in mind when I started this journey. I have staff who can handle the day to day and everything else can be done remotely from anywhere. I don't HAVE to be in the office. I can work from anywhere and mostly at any time. So taking the family out in the morning means I can just work into the evening... I had a lovely day this week running a few errands with my wife and son and sitting in a coffee shop at 11:30am without a care in the world!

Having now realised that this is a journey and whilst I'm still working on the "big" money, I have more than enough resources to bend the rules of life a little.

Mondays are my favourite day now, but from this coming Monday I'm going to make a proper effort to get out more and start living the life I dreamt of (just without the Rolex's and the supercars for now!). Think what being "free" means and you'll realise that you can achieve a lot of it whilst you're working on that $100k a month pay check, you don't have to wait FOR it.

Every time I get stressed about money, competition etc... I remember that simply by quitting my job that I hated, I'm already 80% of the way to my ultimate goal. Since joining this forum I've really tried not to think and talk about me, but focus on others. However it was impossible to write this post any other way.

Freedom = LOTS OF MONEY

Freedom = Systems, Automation, Staff, Making Time For What You Want (even if you only cover your bills and living costs!)

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Great post but here's something really important....

When you quit the "job" and become "free" then your "boss" = your customers and gaining them is solely down to you. (even when you have a team, you're in charge). Be it customers, sales, referrals, YouTube views.. money comes solely from people. Nothing else!

So the point being....

When you go from a job, being tied to the office, having to ask permission, rules and regulations..... to being "free" and working for yourself, don't forget to make time for the "freedom" things you dream of from being your own boss. Even when you're "waiting" for the money to roll in.... don't wait for that "event" where you can suddenly start doing things when other people are working a 9-5. Because if you do wait for it, when you get there, you won't even know what to do!

I became "free" a few months back but I've been following a relatively strict routine and have mostly tied myself to my office. Not what I had in mind when I started this journey. I have staff who can handle the day to day and everything else can be done remotely from anywhere. I don't HAVE to be in the office. I can work from anywhere and mostly at any time. So taking the family out in the morning means I can just work into the evening... I had a lovely day this week running a few errands with my wife and son and sitting in a coffee shop at 11:30am without a care in the world!

Having now realised that this is a journey and whilst I'm still working on the "big" money, I have more than enough resources to bend the rules of life a little.

Mondays are my favourite day now, but from this coming Monday I'm going to make a proper effort to get out more and start living the life I dreamt of (just without the Rolex's and the supercars for now!). Think what being "free" means and you'll realise that you can achieve a lot of it whilst you're working on that $100k a month pay check, you don't have to wait FOR it.

Every time I get stressed about money, competition etc... I remember that simply by quitting my job that I hated, I'm already 80% of the way to my ultimate goal. Since joining this forum I've really tried not to think and talk about me, but focus on others. However it was impossible to write this post any other way.

Freedom = LOTS OF MONEY

Freedom = Systems, Automation, Staff, Making Time For What You Want (even if you only cover your bills and living costs!)
Funny you say that @SparksCW ... Monday is my favourite day too.

Monday for me is like a New Year for people in j.o.b.s.

It's a chance to look back on the last week, and then start afresh with a new set of goals and targets, that *you* decided were the focus for this week.

I totally get the simple pleasure of "sitting in a coffee shop at 11:30am without a care in the world".

It's those little things that give me the most pleasure.

A few years ago someone asked me "What would you do if money was no object? How would you live?".

He didn't wait for me to answer, he just said "Do that."

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
Oh man, of all the many, many threads on this forum that I love for so many reasons.

This right here. This might just be my favourite.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Just a reminder to those working a j.o.b.

You can make a massive change to your life without earning millions.

Just being able to set your own agenda and work how and when you want is priceless.

Then it's up to you how you make use of that time...

Christopher777

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Jun 13, 2017
Manila, Philippines
drama just for $10 bucks an hour. ...

feel wind against your face...experience life and know you control your destiny.

I passed up on $20-25. And the stress, insidious mindsets and the time being wasted.

You can actually feel the progress.

I'll just say, look at the calm smile on my face lol

The freedom is priceless.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Just posted the below in this thread:

Worth bumping this whole thread so people can stop and appreciate those little moments of freedom.

You know what’s priceless?

Wednesday at 2:30pm last week. Kids were off school for Easter holidays. Most people were at their 9-5.

I took my three sons to the hurling wall and they knocked balls against it (and at me) for an hour.

No job could pay me enough to miss moments like that.

Here’s a short video from that day...

View: https://youtu.be/gKS7oG2rIfw

View: https://youtu.be/UKSoiINcstc

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Bump for those who’ve not transitioned yet. Hang in there. You’re life will change earlier than you think.

PureDirect

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
536%
Oct 25, 2018
Germany
To add another example of what unscripted freedom can give you:

Many years ago, I decided to move from the small town I lived in to Berlin with the goal of finding a girlfriend. I gave up my old flat in December 2012, but because it's so difficult to find an apartment in Berlin (15+ applicants for one empty flat), it took me until October 2013 to find one.

I spent two months travelling the US, lived a few months with my parents, finished writing a book in Athens (Greece) and then finally moved into my new place in Berlin.

Here are some pictures I took:

Rocky.jpg

The Rocky foot prints in Philadelphia (January 2013) - Stallone's story is very fast lane

NYC.jpg

In New York (February 2013)

Athens.jpg

Athens, Greece (August 2013)

Berlin.jpg

The Fernsehturm in Berlin (September 2015)

Being self-employed gave me the freedom to do all that while still earning enough to support myself.

I eventually met the perfect woman and we moved in together in 2014. In 2015, our first child was born and I spent the 18 months that followed only working 10 to 15 hours per week. I still made enough, because my income wasn't tied to my time.

A traditional job would not have given me that freedom, which would have meant a completely different life. I wouldn't have met my wife and even if I would have had children with someone else, I wouldn't have been able to help even remotely as much with raising the kids.

The freedom you get from being self-employed totally makes up for the hard work you have to put into it initially, even if those in traditional jobs make more than you in the first couple of years.

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
Stumbled across this thread and resurrecting it.

I went to the cinema Wednesday afternoon with my gf. Think there were about 6 other people there. All pensioners.

Felt very liberating.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Stumbled across this thread and resurrecting it.

I went to the cinema Wednesday afternoon with my gf. Think there were about 6 other people there. All pensioners.

Felt very liberating.

Congrats. Freedom is priceless. And you don't need to be a millionaire/billionaire to enjoy that freedom. You get that freedom the moment you can support yourself as an entrepreneur. The money is the icing on cake.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Love this thread and the life I’ve created. Being an entrepeneur can often be tough but there are so many things that make it worth while.

This week I came down with the flu... first time I’ve ever had it (pretty sure I caught it from someone at the gym... jerks). I’ve spent all week feeling absolutely miserable and have done maybe 2 hours of work total all week. You know what didn’t change at all... my income. Sales kept rolling in and packages kept going out. You don’t realize how important it is to own a business and not a job until you can’t do anything for a week.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
The kids are on school holidays for a week. It will be tough to get all my work done. They might let me get a couple of hours done during the day, and I'll have to work in the evenings and night time when they're in bed.

Today my wife and I took the kids up to the local lakes where they were trying to skim stones. We passed a few good forest trails that I'll explore with them some of the other days in the week.

This stuff is priceless.

(BTW... yes, he's only 10 and those are size 9.5 feet ... bigger than mine!)

VUxysFd.png

Last edited:

Siddhartha

Pleasure Operator
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Mar 30, 2019
This,
This is being unscripted .

The very moment someone can replace the income from their j.o.b., slam down a resignation and sprint out the door has got to be one of the sweetest days of anyone's life.
I feel anger and hope as I went through this thread. I hope Andy's words reign true, and that the day of freedom comes far earlier than expected.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.