The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Feel free to rip this idea to shreds if you think it sucks.

Idea threads

Razdaz87

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jul 20, 2014
Hi all. I was hoping some successful inventors(or anyone) would be willing to give their feedback on a product idea I have.

So here’s the story. As of now, I work in a bank 9 to 5. To no surprise, I have to wear dress shirts as part of the dress code. I take pride in how I dress, and long sleeve dress shirts are my staple. (Nothing against short sleeves; I just find them sloppy and lazy looking.)

I live in South Jersey and the summer months get fairly hot. On warm days, I prefer to roll my sleeves up. The only problem is, I can’t keep them UP. They constantly fall down, become loose and get wrinkled, which makes me look sloppy. It’s frustrating. Now, this problem has nagged me for awhile. I’ve looked up videos on the proper ways to roll up sleeves, but no special roll up technique has ever worked.

So I started thinking about a product that would help keep your sleeves rolled up, keep the roll tight and look great. No wrinkles!! As I was thinking, I thought about all the men and women that wear dress shirts to work and possibly have the same problem I have. Not to mention everyone who wear long sleeves for casual wear and want to roll up their sleeves to cool down on hot days and nights.

I searched google and amazon to see if there was something already on the market, and I found one item being sold. It even had a Kickstarter campaign that surpassed its goal in funding. I don’t know if that really validates demand, because there were only 11 reviews on Amazon. If anyone wants the link to check it out, I’d be more than happy to provide it.

I’ve been thinking of ways to make the product better and create a brand around it. But of course, I want to validate the idea before pouring time and resources into the product.

Now, just to be clear, I’m not on here to ask the exact steps to take. In fact, I want to figure that stuff out on my own. What I’m looking for is a very general start path, whether that be getting a mock prototype done or actually trying to get the idea in front of my target audience and testing the demand. I’m completely new to the inventing crowd. But I want to learn as much as I can.

So if anyone feels like commenting, please feel free to do so. Even if you want to tell me my idea sucks and go away, that’s fine too. I just want to learn and fail fast, if that’s what’s in the cards. Thanks a lot guys.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
I think it's a pretty good idea.

I like to keep my sleeves rolled, especially when it's hot. Apparently there is an art to rolling your sleeves. Half the time I do it wrong and my wife fixes it. Then the roll gets undone. Very annoying.

JoelM

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Feb 21, 2018
Maryland, MD
Hi all. I was hoping some successful inventors(or anyone) would be willing to give their feedback on a product idea I have.

So here’s the story. As of now, I work in a bank 9 to 5. To no surprise, I have to wear dress shirts as part of the dress code. I take pride in how I dress, and long sleeve dress shirts are my staple. (Nothing against short sleeves; I just find them sloppy and lazy looking.)

I live in South Jersey and the summer months get fairly hot. On warm days, I prefer to roll my sleeves up. The only problem is, I can’t keep them UP. They constantly fall down, become loose and get wrinkled, which makes me look sloppy. It’s frustrating. Now, this problem has nagged me for awhile. I’ve looked up videos on the proper ways to roll up sleeves, but no special roll up technique has ever worked.

So I started thinking about a product that would help keep your sleeves rolled up, keep the roll tight and look great. No wrinkles!! As I was thinking, I thought about all the men and women that wear dress shirts to work and possibly have the same problem I have. Not to mention everyone who wear long sleeves for casual wear and want to roll up their sleeves to cool down on hot days and nights.

I searched google and amazon to see if there was something already on the market, and I found one item being sold. It even had a Kickstarter campaign that surpassed its goal in funding. I don’t know if that really validates demand, because there were only 11 reviews on Amazon. If anyone wants the link to check it out, I’d be more than happy to provide it.

I’ve been thinking of ways to make the product better and create a brand around it. But of course, I want to validate the idea before pouring time and resources into the product.

Now, just to be clear, I’m not on here to ask the exact steps to take. In fact, I want to figure that stuff out on my own. What I’m looking for is a very general start path, whether that be getting a mock prototype done or actually trying to get the idea in front of my target audience and testing the demand. I’m completely new to the inventing crowd. But I want to learn as much as I can.

So if anyone feels like commenting, please feel free to do so. Even if you want to tell me my idea sucks and go away, that’s fine too. I just want to learn and fail fast, if that’s what’s in the cards. Thanks a lot guys.
I don't know the market for this article or if there are products out there but I can tell some professions require people to roll up their sleeves on occasions. For example, in the military this is the standard at many duty stations. Maybe target a particular profession or uniform that has high demand.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
I just want to learn and fail fast, if that’s what’s in the cards.

Oh and don't get caught up in the idea of failing fast.

I think that the idea of failing fast is complete B.S. It's like an excuse to not truly commit to something. Opinions are *usually* meaningless unless you have a significant sample size of opinions, made up of the proper demo, pointing you in a clear direction. Instead of failing fast, have a testing mindset. What are 3-5 variations of the product? Come up with an MVP put it in front of people and see if they will pay you.

Temujin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Feb 22, 2018
Canada
I have a dress shirt that has buttons just above my elbows to connect to the cuff to keep it rolled and secure. It would be interesting to see how to incorporate a portable "piece" that can do that with any other dress-shirts

Razdaz87

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jul 20, 2014
I think it's a pretty good idea.

I like to keep my sleeves rolled, especially when it's hot. Apparently there is an art to rolling your sleeves. Half the time I do it wrong and my wife fixes it. Then the roll gets undone. Very annoying.
Yea definitely. Not to mention it stretches the shirt out.

Razdaz87

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jul 20, 2014
I don't know the market for this article or if there are products out there but I can tell some professions require people to roll up their sleeves on occasions. For example, in the military this is the standard at many duty stations. Maybe target a particular profession or uniform that has high demand.
That’s actually a great idea. I didn’t even think of that. Thanks man

Razdaz87

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jul 20, 2014
Oh and don't get caught up in the idea of failing fast.

I think that the idea of failing fast is complete B.S. It's like an excuse to not truly commit to something. Opinions are *usually* meaningless unless you have a significant sample size of opinions, made up of the proper demo, pointing you in a clear direction. Instead of failing fast, have a testing mindset. What are 3-5 variations of the product? Come up with an MVP put it in front of people and see if they will pay you.
Yea that’s a good way to put it. I definitely want to test as much as I can.

Razdaz87

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jul 20, 2014
I have a dress shirt that has buttons just above my elbows to connect to the cuff to keep it rolled and secure. It would be interesting to see how to incorporate a portable "piece" that can do that with any other dress-shirts
Yea I have one of those too. It’s just not all dress shirts come with that option, and ideally this product will make it easier to keep them rolled up to the length you want them rolled up to.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
Yea definitely. Not to mention it stretches the shirt out.

That's a good point.

If you do end up going through with this, I'd definitely be one of your first customers. Just PM me the link to your website so I can buy (if you move forward and get to that point).

Razdaz87

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jul 20, 2014
That's a good point.

If you do end up going through with this, I'd definitely be one of your first customers. Just PM me the link to your website so I can buy (if you move forward and get to that point).
That’s awesome man. Thanks so much. If there is a demand and I can validate it, I’m going to go through with it. If there is anything I can help you with, any questions you have about anything, feel free to message me. Im definitely a novice about a lot of thing business, but any way I can help my fellow forum members, I’d be glad to.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Hey mate,

Grew up in Jackson NJ here! Right down the road from Great Adventure.

Now, asking people on here if it sucks or not is a good start but it doesn't really help you validate anything. I hope the least I can do is help you give you some direction.

I'm curious to see what you were hoping to get out of posting this question on here.

IF... IF.. 5-6 of us said it really sucks and you're wasting your time coming here asking those questions and you should go back to working in the bank because its a waste of your time. Would you just accept what people say and just give up.

Or the opposite! 10-20 people say damn yes! This product is the next biggest thing that's happened to men's fashion ever since they invented the tie and you're gnna make billions of dollars off of this thing.

The information would've gotten you right back at the home plate. With the same exact idea and nothing to show for it.

Now, If you want some data. Hardcore data that can back your product up and bring it to investors to get the money ball rolling. I would suggest you to write up your target market demographic, think about where you would find them on social media. Join their facebook groups, participate in their converstations on twitter. Then drop a survey to them and see what people are looking for and gather some heavy numbers hope you get over 50 then you'll be able to identify if the problem is feasible. I would reccomend using typeform.com, i've used this a few times for my attempts.

I wouldn't spend too much time on this survey thing because this isn't a true test because people haven't opened their wallets and thrown their hard earned dollars at you because what you have solved a problem worthy of the price you're offering.

I guess what i'm saying is just do it. Ideas aren't worth anything if they're talked about... only when they are manifested in the physical realm they can become dollars

Razdaz87

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jul 20, 2014
Hey mate,

Grew up in Jackson NJ here! Right down the road from Great Adventure.

Now, asking people on here if it sucks or not is a good start but it doesn't really help you validate anything. I hope the least I can do is help you give you some direction.

I'm curious to see what you were hoping to get out of posting this question on here.

IF... IF.. 5-6 of us said it really sucks and you're wasting your time coming here asking those questions and you should go back to working in the bank because its a waste of your time. Would you just accept what people say and just give up.

Or the opposite! 10-20 people say damn yes! This product is the next biggest thing that's happened to men's fashion ever since they invented the tie and you're gnna make billions of dollars off of this thing.

The information would've gotten you right back at the home plate. With the same exact idea and nothing to show for it.

Now, If you want some data. Hardcore data that can back your product up and bring it to investors to get the money ball rolling. I would suggest you to write up your target market demographic, think about where you would find them on social media. Join their facebook groups, participate in their converstations on twitter. Then drop a survey to them and see what people are looking for and gather some heavy numbers hope you get over 50 then you'll be able to identify if the problem is feasible. I would reccomend using typeform.com, i've used this a few times for my attempts.

I wouldn't spend too much time on this survey thing because this isn't a true test because people haven't opened their wallets and thrown their hard earned dollars at you because what you have solved a problem worthy of the price you're offering.

I guess what i'm saying is just do it. Ideas aren't worth anything if they're talked about... only when they are manifested in the physical realm they can become dollars
Nice to have a fellow Jersey guy on here! I haven’t been to Great Adventure in forever. Love that place....

Anyway, yes I understand what you’re saying. If 5 or 6 people on here said this idea sucks, i would still be in the same spot. But I wouldn’t quit. I would ask why. And I realize that if 20 people on here said this idea is great, it wouldn’t validate anything. My post was more to get a very general direction of where to start. And you helped in that with your ideas. Those are great suggestions.

I have joined some men’s fashion groups on Facebook and Reddit. I’ve looked into survey monkey too. I’ve heard of typeform too. Right now I’m debating whether to have some type of mock prototype with a video when I do the survey, or just use words. I’ve read it’s important to have one, and I’ve read that it’s not really necessary to get validation. In my opinion, I think letting people actually see some type of product would go a long way.

RaffUnscripted

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Feb 21, 2018
Providence, RI
Yes sir. That’s the one. And I did look to see if it was patented but I didn’t find anything.
Its a niche product. I feel like I would forget them or lose them or due to my impatient nature become annoyed with them somehow. I'm not saying it won't be a moneymaker tho. Just check the patent out thoroughly and be careful you don't get knocked off by the chinese manufacturers.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Looks like some validation has occurred, the Kickstarter, the Amazon reviews, and even someone here said they'd be a customer.

That doesn't sound like a bum idea.

I'm not a biggest fan of the idea however that's probably because I rarely wear dress shirts, so take my opinion very lightly.

Keep us posted!

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Next steps?

Razdaz87

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jul 20, 2014
Its a niche product. I feel like I would forget them or lose them or due to my impatient nature become annoyed with them somehow. I'm not saying it won't be a moneymaker tho. Just check the patent out thoroughly and be careful you don't get knocked off by the chinese manufacturers.
Good points. I’m going to double and triple check the patents today. Thanks for your input

Razdaz87

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jul 20, 2014
Th
Next steps?
thats what I’m trying to figure out now. I’m leaning towards getting some type of mock prototype done so I have something tangible with the upgrades I had in mind. Jpnarra had good ideas with the surveys being put in front of my target audience to get some type of feedback. I believe that should be my next step.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Th

thats what I’m trying to figure out now. I’m leaning towards getting some type of mock prototype done so I have something tangible with the upgrades I had in mind. Jpnarra had good ideas with the surveys being put in front of my target audience to get some type of feedback. I believe that should be my next step.
Don't forget to collect emails. That way you have a starting point to an audience to send out a launch to your product.

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
Hi OP....I can see how this would work for you. Use your own intuition. Perhaps get a dozen in circulation for proof of concept / validation. To gain traction it needs to be high end and have an additional USP built in somewhere. Well done.

Razdaz87

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jul 20, 2014
Hi OP....I can see how this would work for you. Use your own intuition. Perhaps get a dozen in circulation for proof of concept / validation. To gain traction it needs to be high end and have an additional USP built in somewhere. Well done.
Thanks for your feedback. I’ve been trying most of the afternoon to come up with a strong USP. I’m also trying to get some product sketches done.

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
Thanks for your feedback. I’ve been trying most of the afternoon to come up with a strong USP. I’m also trying to get some product sketches done.
Focus entirely on the end user. No one else matters !

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Dec 14, 2014
A couple thoughts.

First, I like the idea. Men's fashion has been sliding toward sloppiness for a long time. "Casual Friday" seems to be bleeding over into "slovenly everyday." This is, in a small way, fighting the good fight.

Second, this is going to be to some degree regional. For example I too prefer long dress shirts, but living in coastal NC the prevailing fashion in the summer is short sleeves so I get off the hook easy. I can definitely see myself using these for those few months when long sleeves are tolerable. You won't sell many in the tropics, but you live in Jersey. Just remember as you scale up that hot humid places aren't going to be as fertile ground for you as New York and London.

Third, this screams for celebrity endorsement. A product like this is exactly the sort of product people buy because some handsome celebrity uses them. You need a famous guy in your ads, and it will be worth what you pay.

Last and less glamorous, these should be available at tailors and suit shops. Get them in the shops who clothe the Wall Street masters of the universe, and get them in Men's Warehouse.

Razdaz87

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jul 20, 2014
A couple thoughts.

First, I like the idea. Men's fashion has been sliding toward sloppiness for a long time. "Casual Friday" seems to be bleeding over into "slovenly everyday." This is, in a small way, fighting the good fight.

Second, this is going to be to some degree regional. For example I too prefer long dress shirts, but living in coastal NC the prevailing fashion in the summer is short sleeves so I get off the hook easy. I can definitely see myself using these for those few months when long sleeves are tolerable. You won't sell many in the tropics, but you live in Jersey. Just remember as you scale up that hot humid places aren't going to be as fertile ground for you as New York and London.

Third, this screams for celebrity endorsement. A product like this is exactly the sort of product people buy because some handsome celebrity uses them. You need a famous guy in your ads, and it will be worth what you pay.

Last and less glamorous, these should be available at tailors and suit shops. Get them in the shops who clothe the Wall Street masters of the universe, and get them in Men's Warehouse.
Hey man. Thanks for your input. You read my mind exactly.

I definitely understand about this being regional. I’ve been to the south, and never once did I ever feel like putting on a long sleeve dress or casual shirt. Granted, I was there during the summer months, I’m not sure how much colder it gets there in the fall winter and spring.

I agree completely with the celebrity endorsement. I’ve actually started following some fashion celebrities on Instagram, and once I had a viable product, pitching it to them to try out and if they like it, advertising it to their followers.

I’ve thought about getting this into men’s warehouse from day one. The tailor shops and suit shops seem really smart too. There’s a few local ones where I live, so when I get a product and have it validated with the market, they’ll be my first stop.

Also, there are some manual labor professions that require long sleeves, and many of them roll up their sleeves when doing work. (IT, service technicians, heating and air.) what do you think about targeting these areas?

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Dec 14, 2014
Thinking further, the path to The Men's Warehouse goes through 5th avenue, not the other direction.

I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.