The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fastlane by 18 Years Old

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Kallin Trotman

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Dec 30, 2015
Melbourne
To count all of my entrepreneurial ventures, this business has been my fifth attempt over a period of around 3-4 years.

I have failed to make any sales from this business. Why? I will outline that below.

Although painful and disheartening at times, my experience has taught me many lessons and skills. 

My direct time investment into this business has been roughly 530 hours over a period of 13 months. 
Monetary investment = USD $2149.59

Lessons I have learned from building this business

Here is a quick list of some go the larger lessons I have learned, interesting “I knew” all of these before starting. These are all clearly written in TMF , knowing and application are two different animals.

1) Identify a customer need first. ITS ALL ABOUT THE CUSTOMERS.

2) Be prepared to spend at least as much energy/time on the marketing of a product as you spend on creating the product.

3) Your product is nothing without good marketing.

4) Best not to talk to most people about your projects, the vast majority stare back at you cross-eyed.. Keep it with like minded people.

Where I have gone wrong

Firstly, I fell victim to the “Do what you love” mindset, though I genuinely did believe there was a void that needed to be filled. This was the result of a blend between arrogance and ignorance. I was looking in the wrong places, or just thought my product was different. 

Additionally, there is still much I must learn about marketing. My enthusiasm led me to believe that once my website was live, all that was required was some google ads… Unfortunately, this didn't leave me laughing all the way to the bank.

What is stopping me from making sales

I have reached a point where the initial version of the product is ready, though my marketing is shit. The product is in a crowded niche. IT DOESN'T STAND OUT. 

DAMN WTF AM I DOING. Get marketing!

I wrote this as I had lost direction in my project, I felt it was over. I wrote it more for myself than others, though perhaps you may learn something from it.

I am happy to answer any questions you have.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
My friend, you are already IN the Fastlane.

Fastlane is not some arbitrary sum of money. It's not passive income while sitting on a beach. And it's not retiring at 30. Fastlane at its core is a mentality. And as soon as you obtain that mentality, you are in the Fastlane.

So as long as continue your entrepreneurial pursuits, even if you fail this venture or the next, you CONTINUE. This is something that is lived, not tried. The money comes later as a result of living it.

Just want to make that clear!

Good luck. :)

Love this!

Squanchy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Dec 12, 2017
Australia
I'm in a similar situation as you just finished high school (also in Australia) and working toward building an e-commerce business with the little money I have but I believe I can make it work.

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
My friend, you are already IN the Fastlane.

Fastlane is not some arbitrary sum of money. It's not passive income while sitting on a beach. And it's not retiring at 30. Fastlane at its core is a mentality. And as soon as you obtain that mentality, you are in the Fastlane.

So as long as continue your entrepreneurial pursuits, even if you fail this venture or the next, you CONTINUE. This is something that is lived, not tried. The money comes later as a result of living it.

Just want to make that clear!

Good luck. :)
That was an awesome read, very inspiring.

G

Guest06196

I was led to this post by a featured post on the front page. Finished the whole thread. Just to let you know although the thread hasn't been updated for a while, we're still supportive.

Keep up the good work. You have no idea how much edge you've got by starting early. All the best @Emperor2020

GoldMan79

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Oct 16, 2017
France
Hey, maybe try to get (some of) your money back by selling your project on Fiverr or Themeforest for example.
I will try the stopwatch method.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.