• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Atomic Habits by James Clear

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it, discussion begins soon!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: Atomic Habits, by James Clear (Review | Discuss)

EXECUTION Everything I Learned From Blogging $0 to $15k/month

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by Jon Anthony, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Roli

Roli Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,238
    Welcome to the forum, some really nice stuff here Jon! Just a couple of quick questions and a bit of advice for you as well.

Can you elaborate on this? It sounds like this was a major piece in the puzzle.

Been there... Open up an account whereby you make it much easier to pay in than out, cut up any cards they give you and only do telephone banking. Set up a dd, or just pay half your revenue into the account and hopefully you'll have more than you need for tax at the end of the year.

You should try using Lightworks, it is completely free video editing software, as long as you register your 7 day trial stays open indefinitely.

If you're more experienced then go for Blender, which is open source free software, however it is very powerful and very complicated so only use this if you've used NLE software before.

I've done a couple of tutorials on Lightworks if you're interested, and their site is ltwks.com

AquaQuell, Andy Black and RazorCut like this.
  2. justacar

justacar Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $352
    I'd advise against infusionsoft. go with activecampaign instead. infusionsoft changed their business model and pricing structure. the one they have now is quite pricey.

ZeroTo100 likes this.
  3. HelpAndProsper

HelpAndProsper Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $382
    Congrats! A few years ago I had a site in the music industry that made me consistent cash through SEO and affiliate sales.

A Google algorithm change crushed that and my site never recovered.....

My advice would be to focus on treating your email list like a baby. Treat those people on the email list very well because if your site ever disappears or gets hammered by Google for some reason, you still have that list of people who trust you and your products.

4. NuclearPuma

NuclearPuma Bronze Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,993
    Grant Cardone makes the case for being "omnipresent".... i.e. Be everywhere.

So building followers on all of the social media platforms, and having a YouTube page, and having a podcast, could float you if you had no google traffic.

NeatStranger and HelpAndProsper like this.
  5. NeatStranger

NeatStranger Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $184
    Great post! You definitely provided a ton of value her and I will be reading over it several times to try and find something that I can directly apply to my situation.

Thank you!

6. ZeroTo100

ZeroTo100 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,343
    Nailed it!

HelpAndProsper likes this.
  7. Jon Anthony

Jon Anthony Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $781
    I think I see what you're saying now. That seems like the conventional route that most successful bloggers go, is they start off teaching a non-business skill, and then teach business owners how to do the same.

The reason why is because you make more money with courses that teach others how to make MONEY, than with anything else for the most part.

I could definitely do that. I will think about it... thanks for the suggestion!

Andy Black likes this.
  8. Jon Anthony

Rep Bank:
    $781
    A proper sales funnel is a sales funnel with multiple products "after the product."

So you have a main product, then an order bump, then an upsell, then maybe another upsell, or some downsells if they said "no" to the upsell.

The idea is that you actually make MOST of your money on the BACK END, rather than on the front end.

So, for example, here's a typical marketing funnel for finance.

Stage 1: Get "Free Book," Just Pay Shipping
    Stage 2: One Time Offer for Business Course, Just $197
    Stage 3: Get Access to the "Inner Circle" With Coaching For $297/month

etc.

Do you see the point? Most of the money is made on the back end, AFTER someone buys your initial progress and has proven that they are willing to spend disposable income on you.

Roli and Laughingman21 like this.
  9. Jon Anthony

Rep Bank:
    $781
    What methods were you using to do SEO, might I ask? I can't imagine how a single update would crush my site, unless I was using sketchy spammy backlinks or something.

10. RazorCut

RazorCut Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $19,866
    I think he means that if an algorithm changed focused you might lose traffic. It's unlikely as you are building your SEO very whitehat, showing value and building links with premium sites. However it is not impossible.

It is more to do with protecting yourself from a tsunami; a single event that wipes out a good proportion of your traffic.

I had an eCommerce site that ranked #1 for my most important search term for years and year. It was nailed there. Extremely valuable. Because of that one 2 word phase I had customers such as Universal Pictures, Fox, the BBC, Les Miserable, Top Shop etc. reach out to buy from us. One order alone was worth around $20,000. And I am sure we got it because of that top spot position.

After 5-6 years an algorithm changed and it went down to 5th place. Not a big slide you would think but that lost us a lot of traffic and also the kudos of being #1 (maybe less important these days). I had not done anything wrong, or changed anything but Google placed less value on the link on that update for some reason.

So it's best not to keep all your eggs in one basket. A tsunami can happen at any time. I remember after a lot of publicity over a stabbing here in the UK eBay took the knee-jerk reaction of banning all knife sales on their site pretty much overnight. I know that many businesses went under because they sold cutlery, chef knives, hunting and pocket knives as their main product and only had eBay as a sales channel.

When I had an eCommerce store I would sell via Amazon, Amazon+FBA, eBay and our Websites. I would advertise using SEO, leaflets in orders to push eBay and Amazon customers to our Web Site, plus using Ad Words as they were then. I also dabbled with banner ads on related forums. Most of our sales were coming through eBay at the time and we had great SEO but I was still spending $1500-$2000 a month of Google ads to supplement it.

Andy Black and Laughingman21 like this.
  11. Laughingman21

Laughingman21 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,236
    An excellent post with a tonne of value. Congratulations on your success and well done for keeping at it.

Your results in 2018 are a great example of another "overnight success" that you hear people talk about without really knowing the real effort you put in. They forget the two years of trying, testing and learning that went before you were able to earn $15k a month.

You've clearly know a lot about SEO. Are there any good resources you'd recommend?

Jon Anthony and RazorCut like this.
  12. Xaridimos

Xaridimos New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $59
    Thank you very much for putting the time to write such a detailed post. It will prove really helpful for people who are into blogging and are trying to find their way.

Well done @Jon Anthony

13. Roli

Roli Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,238
    Ah right, I get you. I just didn't get the 'click funnel' term.

Thanks. Hope the tutorials help you with the vids. Good luck hombre.

14. HelpAndProsper

Rep Bank:
    $382
    Yep, I'm not the only one that Google penalizes for NO REASON some day when you least expect it....

All of my articles were white hat with nothing sketchy backlinking it...

I cannot wait for the day that a serious competitor takes on Google in the Search Engine business. I can't stand their ethics, worldview, and so many other things....I literally despise their lying CEO and most of what they stand for....

I hope the Federal Government breaks up their monopoly and takes them to task for the immoral scum they are...

This is the same company that secretly agreed to let the Chinese government censor Google search results in China just so they could get into the Chinese market. (and then try to claim they didn't cave to the corrupt Chinese)

Google has a history of unethical, deceitful, immoral practices. I'm really tired of everyone acting like Google is some "beyond reproach" company.

Eventually, a competitor will take them down if the Feds don't do it first eventually.....

15. HelpAndProsper

Rep Bank:
    $382
    Why not just use Imovie and Quicktime on a MAC?

16. Roli

Rep Bank:
    $8,238
    Because it's terrible, and gives you no control. Plus of course, he may not have a Mac.

17. Jon Anthony

Rep Bank:
    $781
    I really like Neil Patel, and I use Ahrefs religiously.

Laughingman21 likes this.
  18. Prakhar Verma

Prakhar Verma New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $32
    You inspire me, Jon. Good luck!

19. vshetty.vs

vshetty.vs Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $364
    Hey Jon,

How important do you think picking the right niche was in your long-term success?

My clients often tell me that they want to invest in creating a blog but I usually advise against it if there is a lot of competition in their industry.

Do you think a blog can succeed in a crowded industry just by consistently publishing articles and focusing on SEO?

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.