The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

everyone is buying FB Ads - is no one buying IG Ads?

Marketing, social media, advertising

GrandRub

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 27, 2019
Germany
Of course a little exaggerated...

But I see 100 courses, threads, discussions, opinions about Facebook Ads. How do I target, how do I scale, blablabla. Of course, Facebook is a great thing to advertise on and so...

But somehow I see very very little about IG Ads? Why? Are IG Ads not worth it? (What I can hardly imagine - at least with the right products)?

Maybe people just don't talk about the topic to keep the masses off and be happy about cheap CPC?

what is your experience with instagram ads?
or am I missing the point and i am some kind of blind chicken?

mysterious greetings

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Wiezel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 15, 2018
The Netherlands
I thought you can connect Facebook ads with Instagram since Facebook owns Instagram?

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
We do automatic placements when we run FB ads. We get a fair amount of sales from IG because of that.

Frank H.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Dec 22, 2018
I have very mixed feelings about Instagram ads. They are a fantastic way to get views and someone to buy your products, however, there are a lot of scammers and inflated numbers.

For instance, someone with 100k followers might have bought a lot of the followers and this is deceptive to the brand owner and the customers. For instance, if a brand owner sees 100k followers, they will pay a steep price to have their ad on the page. The customers might see the deceptive social proof and buy because of the inflated comments,followers, and likes. Also many of the accounts on Instagram have very little sway on word of mouth. Overall it is not worth the energy unless you partner yourself with one of the few brands that has real life influence.

ShamanKing

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 30, 2018
California
How about just using #.

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
99% of those SMMA videos always recommend people manually switch off Instagram ads in the channel selection of FB Ads.

As always, I'd steer away from the general concensus...
I believe Instagram is a powerful advertizing platform for specific niches.

The amount of Android apps I installed solely because of Instagram ads is impressive !

GrandRub

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 27, 2019
Germany
99% of those SMMA videos always recommend people manually switch off Instagram ads in the channel selection of FB Ads.

As always, I'd steer away from the general concensus...
I believe Instagram is a powerful advertizing platform for specific niches.

The amount of Android apps I installed solely because of Instagram ads is impressive !

and instagram cpc is so much lower than facebook cpc... at least in my very basic test setup.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
For instance, someone with 100k followers might have bought a lot of the followers and this is deceptive to the brand owner and the customers. For instance, if a brand owner sees 100k followers, they will pay a steep price to have their ad on the page. The customers might see the deceptive social proof and buy because of the inflated comments,followers, and likes. Also many of the accounts on Instagram have very little sway on word of mouth. Overall it is not worth the energy unless you partner yourself with one of the few brands that has real life influence.

This advice is more relevant when it comes to seeking out influencers and direct partnerships with an account. Your point is valid of course when it comes to fake followers so always do your due dilligence on an account's engagement. And by that I mean looking particularly at comments to see if they are real people writing things real people (not bots) would write.

Running ads through the platform is more about setting up your target demographic correctly. Sure, even then your ad may be shown to some fake or inflated accounts - but at the end of the day you can still measure real results in terms of CPA and sales. If it sucks, turn it off or try another approach. If it works, great. We also had lots of sales from Instagram ads.

99% of those SMMA videos always recommend people manually switch off Instagram ads in the channel selection of FB Ads. As always, I'd steer away from the general concensus... I believe Instagram is a powerful advertizing platform for specific niches.

It is good advice to switch them off, but only for the purpose of then switching them ON in a different ad group (where you then have FB feed switched off). The point is to keep the two separate because the two platforms will perform differently, and you want to see results and treat the ad groups differently in terms of budgeting, ad copies, etc.

So yes, try running them, but it's generally not good advice to run FB feed + IG feed in the same ad group.

Same reason why you should run Desktop and Mobile in different ad groups. They will always have different CTRs, CR's, CPC's etc. so you will get a much better understanding of the data when separating things.

DrWumbo

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Sep 22, 2016
I have very mixed feelings about Instagram ads. They are a fantastic way to get views and someone to buy your products, however, there are a lot of scammers and inflated numbers.

I think in this instance, he is talking about paid advertising through Instagram, not influencers

DrWumbo

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Sep 22, 2016
@GrandRub My sister is currently running a business in the wedding industry. For all of 2018, she received organic growth through Instagram. She continued to grow, but not at a fast rate. In 2019, she started to schedule ads on solely Instagram from the Instagram App. For the past 3 months, she has averaged over a 20x ROI. She isn't even using the Ad Manager, has a beautiful product, and makes very creative ads. Zero type of targeting, just scheduling an ad set through the app and letting it run.

If you have a product that is interesting, eye catching, or even if it isn't, but can create an ad showcasing its unique value skews, then you should run a couple of ad sets and see what type of results you will get

Frank H.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Dec 22, 2018
Good posts! I definitely agree that it is important to know your demographic well when running ads. This will increase your ROI % and Conversion Rate percentage. Obviously, you would have different images, titles and vernacular when advertising to one demographic over another. Also, I would delegate the task and hire a VA if they can do the IG advertising much better than me. This will give you more time and energy to focus on other aspects of your company.

aishley

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Jul 1, 2019
Instagram ads also work great, they can be purchased with FB ads. Although, IG ads are better for customer-centric B2C businesses.

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
Of course a little exaggerated...

But I see 100 courses, threads, discussions, opinions about Facebook Ads. How do I target, how do I scale, blablabla. Of course, Facebook is a great thing to advertise on and so...

But somehow I see very very little about IG Ads? Why? Are IG Ads not worth it? (What I can hardly imagine - at least with the right products)?

Maybe people just don't talk about the topic to keep the masses off and be happy about cheap CPC?

what is your experience with instagram ads?
or am I missing the point and i am some kind of blind chicken?

mysterious greetings

I had decent success back a year or 2 ago selling a product with instagram ads.

I split tested FB vs insta and instagram was winning big time.

Both platforms are very visual, but especially instagram, so a good attention grabbing creative is especially important.

As for why people dont teach them more? I don't know, but you create them on the same ad platform as facebook, so eventually people will experiment with them. Its basically the exact same as facebook in most respects.

Einfamilienhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 8, 2019
I use IG Ads by my own and I can say that the options to find the right targets is very low. On that the level of making advertisement it is definitely better to do Google or Facebook Ads.

Lets say you want to sell Fashion products via the Instagram product Targeting.

So your group of interest are people how "likes" fashion posts or better are fans of the hashtag "fashion" itself.

But now the problem is you dont know why these people liked the picture of this hashtag and why Instagram is going to show your ads to this group. Maybe they just liked the post Of Kim Kardashian who used once this hashtag in her feed? Or they just liked the posts of fashion influencer who are more fans of the person itself than of fashion. You dont know if the individual of this group have every bought something on Instagram. Wouldn't it be better if you can target people who have bought directly from Instagram?

A lot of these options are missing on Instagram.

But if you just want to improve your brand awareness than Instagram is a good option. You will receive a lot of likes but less interaction with your main goal to sell something.

Use Instagram as a small website and dont sell directly. Give great information for free, gather emails and make email Marketing. If your a marketer, consultant, lawyer or what ever and dont sell physical products, I can recommend Instagram ads. But not for more.

ljean

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 22, 2017
USA
Looking at my ad stats for a Facebook retargeting campaign, Facebook has had 3.4x the reach and 21x the clicks vs. Instagram.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.