The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ethan's First Product Licensing - From Start to Finish

Ethan X

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
May 2, 2015
Hi everyone. This is my progress thread regarding my first product licensing attempt. I'll be posting every step I take along the way from idea conception to actually licensing my product to a company. This will not only give me a good place to ask questions and keep me accountable, but may also help others who are following a similar path.

I'll start at the beginning. Last week I read The Millionaire Fastlane and immediately started thinking up Fastlane business ideas. One that really stuck with me though was an idea for a piece of workout equipment that I've always wished actually existed, but doesn't (to my knowledge.) I figured creating this product for myself would be a good Fastlane idea.

I did some research and came across the idea of product licensing. Upon further research into product licensing I came across Stephen Key's book One Simple Idea. I purchased it immediately and it just arrived in the mail yesterday. I finished reading it this morning and will now start following the steps Mr. Key lays out in order to get my product licensed.

I have a few questions from the book that I'm hoping someone with more experience than me could answer.
Mr. Key recommends doing research into manufacturing costs before settling on a product idea to pursue. Firstly because if a product is too expensive to manufacture, companies won't want it. And secondly because it makes you look like you've done your homework when you're pitching your idea to companies.

However he also recommends not showing your product to anyone without protecting it. So my question is, do I file for a Provisional Patent Application before I contact manufactures for a price quote, or after. Filing a PPA before doing research into manufacturing costs would be a waste of money if it turned out the product idea was a dud from a manufacturing standpoint, or if it turned out you needed to make tweaks to the product. But filling a PPA after would leave my unprotected. Mr. Key seems to say two different things at two different points in the book. First he says don't file a PPA until you've done all your research on a product and gotten price quotes from manufacturers, but later he says to get a PPA before talking to manufacturers.

Any clarification would be appreciated. Perhaps I misunderstood something.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Hey there,
Yes - just file for a PPA either way. It's cheap ($65 - $125) and pretty quick (2-4 weeks), and better to be safe than sorry ;)

Ethan X

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
May 2, 2015
Alright. It's been a long day. Earlier today Eskil recommended I get a PPA. I did some research into how to file for a PPA. The information online about the specifics of filing a PPA are extremely vague, and Mr. Key doesn't explain the process in his book, so I had to search the internet. This is the page that was the most helpful to me: http://patentfile.org/filing-provisional-patent-at-uspto/

It turns out there are three different things that you need.

1. An official cover sheet
2. A specifications page
3. A drawing or photo of the product.

So I spent the day building a working prototype of my product (You don't need a working prototype for a PPA, all you need are drawings, but I'm a sucky artist so a prototype was actually easier for me.) After building the prototype I took some photos and did more research into the specifics of filing a PPA.

The cover sheet was easy to find (http://www.uspto.gov/sites/default/files/forms/sb0016.pdf), but the spec page was extremely difficult. That's because there is no official spec page. You need to create your own from scratch. The problem is that spec pages needs to be formatted and written in a certain way.

I did some research into the proper formatting of a PPA spec page, figuring out what I needed to say and how I needed to say it. Turns out it's all written in crazy engineering/legalese. "Referring now to Fig. 1 in more detail. In Fig. 1 there is a stand 10 having a central bar 12 held in a horizontal position elevated above the floor by two frames, namely a first frame 14 and a second frame 16. The inner circumference of the handles 18, 20 is sufficiently larger than the outer circumference of the bar 12 to allow..." Somebody shoot me.

Luckily I found a great example template page on a law site that walks you through exactly what to say and how to say it on a PPA spec page. If anyone needs to do a PPA spec page, I highly recommend using the following template. www.Noreklaw.com/forms/provisional-template.doc It's still a pain in the a$$ having to do, but it could be much much worse.

Anyway, I finished writing the spec page and went into the US Patent Office website, following the instructions on http://patentfile.org/filing-provisional-patent-at-uspto/ to figure out what to do. I found out I could qualify to only pay $65 rather and over a hundred for my PPA based on the fact that I could be considered a “micro entity” which basically means I’m not a large company. All you need to do is fill out and attach the following form (http://www.uspto.gov/sites/default/files/forms/sb0015a.pdf) with the rest of your patent forms.

So I finally completed all the forms, got them formatted correctly, and changed them into PDF (PDF is the only online format the Patent Office accepts.) and submitted my Provisional Patent Application.

It's now almost 10:30 at night and I just realized I haven't eaten anything today. However I do have a working prototype and official Patent Pending status for my product.

Hopefully tomorrow will be more productive.

Last edited:

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014
Mr. Key recommends doing research into manufacturing costs before settling on a product idea to pursue. Firstly because if a product is too expensive to manufacture, companies won't want it. And secondly because it makes you look like you've done your homework when you're pitching your idea to companies.

There are literally hundreds of different methods to calculate cost. But depending on what country you're trying to license your product, I would use that country's standard method for calculating direct costs and manufacturing costs.

This is something to get you started:
Activity Based Costing

I attached a spreadsheet you can use to calculate costs

ABC calculations is pretty straight forward and quite useful once you get the hang of it. Let me know if you want further assistance

Attachments

• simple_abc_model.xls
    180 KB · Views: 5

stashbooks

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Apr 24, 2015
Hi guys! I am looking to register a logo name for my idea. Is this something anyone can help with?
Dave
Stashbooks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDM

The Lock Man
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jul 2, 2014
Australia
Congrats on getting the provisional patent application filed Ethan.

Your thread reminded me that I should get my USA utility application filed. I was filing based on priority from an Australian patent application and it was a learning experience, however only took a few hours to work through.

All the best for your venture.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.