The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Product idea- need help getting started

Idea threads

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
Alright, I know this is going to be a generic "help me" thread. So if you can help in any way I would appreciate it.

I have come up with several inventions in the past (that is to say, before I decided to go fast lane) so they simply remained ideas on paper, nothing more.

Real quick background:
- I am running a business currently and after years of work it is starting to see traction and is starting to take off in a huge way. So this means I will start to get some personal time to work on more projects and start ups that have been eating way at me. Not that I'll be ignoring my other business but I have the right people on the bus to make sure it can run without me being present 24/7 and can be built without me having to do all the work. One of the projects I want to start on is an invention I came up with about 4 years ago but haven't had the time to dedicate to seeing it to fruition.

Essentially I want to take this idea and run with it, however, running a business will hinder my ability to be married to it. So I am seeking help from all the fast-laners that have done this before me, to assist or advise me on the fastest way to get this idea to the market.

The product is innovative imho, after research it has not been done but it's so simple I feel others have just overlooked the opportunity. It does not have the ability to be a stand alone product. It is intended to be used in conjunction with other brands (multiple brands across vastly different product lines) eg: make-up, tools, health, first aid, etc.

Currently I'm not sure what direction to go first. Do I need to get a patent (if so, where can I find someone to help develop the patent proposal?), when would be the most opportune time to contact the companies to discuss a partnership with my product, because of the nature of it would licensing or manufacturing be a better option, to expand on that how does one find manufacturers?

I know I have a lot of questions and I'm hoping someone will be able to point me in the right direction to start firing cannon balls.

If my post isn't clear or concise I apologize, it's quite late and I've been working on the idea just feeling stuck.

note: just to fill everyone in, this idea has not been done, couldn't even find a prototype of something very similar.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Hey Whats up Liquid? I think the best way to start is to read a couple of books on inventing and patenting. That's what I did when I first started out, and it helped guide me in the right direction. I think the book that would help you most is "One Simple Idea" by Stephen Key. Stephen is the master of inventing products and licensing them. His book will help you decide which choice would be right for you. It will also explain an easy, inexpensive way to apply for a provisional patent and build a cheap prototype.

If you ever do decide on manufacturing, contact me and I can hook you up with a good overseas manufacturer. Just so you know, manufacturing it yourself can get very expensive, and takes A LOT of hard work. You can read all about my process over the last year and half if you look up my "Paint Brush Cover" progress thread.

Good Luck! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
I really appreciate the reply and I'm glad it wasn't too vague for someone to start me in the right direction. Thanks for the recommendation with the book, I'm always reading so I'll be sure to get into that one.

I'm hoping that you've pointed me enough in the right direction but when I get some more time to read up on your progress I'm sure I'll have questions.

thanks again!

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
I think I know the direction I want to head now, but I am in need of finding someone to help make a prototype. It's really not that complicated but I didn't know if any experienced inventors could point me in the right direction. I will go make it myself if need be but I was hoping for a decent looking prototype to use for investors or to sell companies on the idea of licensing it.

Any help is appreciated!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.