The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Documenting my journey to become a freelancer

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I can try that too, maybe build up a free website using carrd just so she could start getting queries. Do you suggest on keeping the site as it is or should I keep editing while the ads are running?
Ah, so she already has a site. Why not redesign her site or certain pages, while running ads to her current site?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
Ah, so she already has a site. Why not redesign her site or certain pages, while running ads to her current site?
Oh no she doesn't, I was asking if I could get the one page site that you suggested up and running so we could start running the ads. Once we start the campaign, I could continue editing the site offline. Is that reasonable? I mean it does solve her problem of getting more patients so I think this is fine too.

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
Oh no she doesn't, I was asking if I could get the one page site that you suggested up and running so we could start running the ads. Once we start the campaign, I could continue editing the site offline. Is that reasonable? I mean it does solve her problem of getting more patients so I think this is fine too.
She specified that she doesn't want to reveal the prices on the site itself. Reason being some people could not afford high prices so they might divert to someone else. Instead, what she wants is to get a call from the patients, and see what kind of price she should charge him/her.

TL;DR Lower prices for patients who couldn't afford it, normal charges for those who can.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
That’s what I’d do. The goal is to get new patients.

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
That’s what I’d do. The goal is to get new patients.
Amazing. Thank you for the insight. Can you share a link to the google ads threads which I can go through for the time being? I literally don’t have any experience with it, so I might need something to get started. I bought a udemy course, but I guess There’s not enough time to go through it.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Amazing. Thank you for the insight. Can you share a link to the google ads threads which I can go through for the time being? I literally don’t have any experience with it, so I might need something to get started. I bought a udemy course, but I guess There’s not enough time to go through it.
You can check out my signature...

Just to be clear, I'm not saying to not build a website. Just that you can build a simple page, start ads, and build out the rest of the site while the ads are running.

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
You can check out my signature...

Just to be clear, I'm not saying to not build a website. Just that you can build a simple page, start ads, and build out the rest of the site while the ads are running.
Thanks for the feedback Andy, going through those threads now.

Also jumping into the "BUILDING WEBSITES" sections of Rob's course since I currently need to use that. Will go through the middle sections later.

Current Action plan:
  1. Build a simple landing page.
  2. Start running google ads.
  3. Work on the website while the ads are running.

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
So, I finally made a plan about the website home page, which goes like this.

First Section
  • A hero section, with an image and two CTA's (More info about the doctor, contact/book an appointment now). I'm gonna need some good copywriting and get people interested right away.
Second Section
  • Some articles about homeopathy, like what is homeopathy and what are the benefits of homeopathy. Maybe include a ted talk or a link to a youtube video as well, creating a desire in the user's mind.
  • Information about the doctor, who she is, and what kind of services her clinic would be providing.
Third Section
  • This will include the reviews she's gotten over the months since she started the clinic.
  • Before & after photos of the patients she cured.
Fourth Section
  • 3-4 sections/blocks, each one with little details regarding the type of service or consultation for the patients, each with a CTA (book an appointment now)
  • FAQ's, contact systems, etc.

@Fox @Andy Black and everyone else, can I get your feedback over this layout?

P.S: I'm going to be building the website using webflow, from scratch.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
So, I finally made a plan about the website home page, which goes like this.

First Section
  • A hero section, with an image and two CTA's (More info about the doctor, contact/book an appointment now). I'm gonna need some good copywriting and get people interested right away.
Second Section
  • Some articles about homeopathy, like what is homeopathy and what are the benefits of homeopathy. Maybe include a ted talk or a link to a youtube video as well, creating a desire in the user's mind.
  • Information about the doctor, who she is, and what kind of services her clinic would be providing.
Third Section
  • This will include the reviews she's gotten over the months since she started the clinic.
  • Before & after photos of the patients she cured.
Fourth Section
  • 3-4 sections/blocks, each one with little details regarding the type of service or consultation for the patients, each with a CTA (book an appointment now)
  • FAQ's, contact systems, etc.

@Fox @Andy Black and everyone else, can I get your feedback over this layout?

P.S: I'm going to be building the website using webflow, from scratch.
I’m no web designer. Maybe put the articles at the bottom? And just go for it. Knock up something and work with your client so she’s happy and so visitors contact her.

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
So, since I didn't have a budget and was a little bit restricted financially, I scoured the internet for free template for a clinic. And I finally found one, here's the link to it.

I'll be using one of these templates, and put together a site in 3 days and get the ads running as soon as possible.

I'll post some screenshots once the website is done, or rather, share a link to it.

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
Quick update:-
I told one of my friends about the project I’m doing, and I told him my plan and how I need to get a template in order to get the website going. He offered to buy me the template I was looking for on themeforest, but unfortunately got blocked out. He got a carrd pro membership instead for $19 and told me to pay him back whenever I start getting paid for my projects.

So, I’m trying to figure out carrd now and seems easier to use.

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
Hero section final Screenshot.png
Just finished the hero section of the website using carrd. Need feedback in case I need to make any changes.

On a side note, carrd is pretty easy to use once you get the right template.

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India

Done with the website. Just a few more changes in the footer section and the about me, and we’re good to go.

I will start the ads once I get an approval for this site. I tried adding reviews from google, but somehow it wasn’t possible on carrd. Any other way I could do it? Any suggestions and feedback are welcome.

rcd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Oct 5, 2021
I can try that too, maybe build up a free website using carrd just so she could start getting queries. Do you suggest on keeping the site as it is or should I keep editing while the ads are running?
Hi KushShah9492,

First let me wish you good luck with the project.
I agree with Andy. In your particular case I would make a one-page website, simple and good looking, and I would give priority to google ads because that's what might bring results faster.
You could suggest that, something simpler for faster launch and some improvements while the ads are running.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see the second page.

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
Hi KushShah9492,

First let me wish you good luck with the project.
I agree with Andy. In your particular case I would make a one-page website, simple and good looking, and I would give priority to google ads because that's what might bring results faster.
You could suggest that, something simpler for faster launch and some improvements while the ads are running.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see the second page.
Thanks for the feedback. There's still a lot of work to be done on the site, this is just a demo website I prepared for her while I figure out google ads and how to use it for her benefit. Will post the link to that too once I get my themeforest account going.

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
Minor update: I went through @Andy Black 's YT videos for google ads, and also going through Isaac Rudansky's course "Google ads masterclass", it's long, but extremely detailed over a lot of concepts. Will keep updating the thread once I get the campaign running.

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
Currently refreshing my coding knowledge through a Udemy course. I finally managed to get an HTML template from themeforest, so I guess I'll be using that instead of carrd. Got some valuable feedback from @Andy Black which I'll be keeping in mind while I build up the site using HTML/CSS. I still have to figure out a way to run ads, but more on that later.

The one page website looks pretty, but currently not useful. Might turn the user off because of it's amateurish structure and bad design skills. Anyway, I intend to complete the course, and use that knowledge in building up my site as I go along. I guess it might make it easier for me to remember the stuff taught in the course.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
Hello folks.

I was offline for a number of days, due to which I couldn't work on my project. Personal problems took a toll on me and I couldn't escape it. But I'm back now. The deadline for project submission is in 10 days, and I'm gonna be working on it for 2-3 hours everyday to get it done.

However, I would also like to document my journey on twitter. What books should I be reading to improve my twitter writing skills in a way that would help me grow? I just read Austin Kleon's 'SHOW YOUR WORK' and it has inspired me to go all in on sharing on social media. So far, along with webdesign, I'm reading 'How to write a copy that sells' & 'Cashvertising'. Are there any other books/threads/articles I should be reading? Please let me know.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hello folks.

I was offline for a number of days, due to which I couldn't work on my project. Personal problems took a toll on me and I couldn't escape it. But I'm back now. The deadline for project submission is in 10 days, and I'm gonna be working on it for 2-3 hours everyday to get it done.

However, I would also like to document my journey on twitter. What books should I be reading to improve my twitter writing skills in a way that would help me grow? I just read Austin Kleon's 'SHOW YOUR WORK' and it has inspired me to go all in on sharing on social media. So far, along with webdesign, I'm reading 'How to write a copy that sells' & 'Cashvertising'. Are there any other books/threads/articles I should be reading? Please let me know.
Having spent a good bit of time on Twitter recently…

If you’re going to document anywhere, do it on YouTube and a blog/email list. That content will stay around forever.

If you’re going to use Twitter then just tweet single tweets. Don’t bother with threads.

Use Twitter more as a way of connecting with peers who are doing similar things to you and have similar values. I think you’ll find those people in this forum.

I’ve stopped tweeting daily and would happily not log into Twitter for the next year. I’m going to focus on YouTube for the next while.

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
Having spent a good bit of time on Twitter recently…

If you’re going to document anywhere, do it on YouTube and a blog. That content will stay around forever.

If you’re going to use Twitter then just tweet single tweets. Don’t bother with threads.

Use Twitter more as a way of connecting with peers who are doing similar things to you and have similar values.

I’ve stopped tweeting daily, and would happily not log into Twitter for the next year. I’m going to focus on YouTube for the next while.
Youtube is a good place to document. I have no idea how to edit videos, how do you suggest documenting over there?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Youtube is a good place to document. I have no idea how to edit videos, how do you suggest documenting over there?
Just start. : )

Use your smartphone and/or do screen recordings.

Loom is good for quickly recording both. I use it to show prospects/clients what’s up with their website and/or Google Ads.

For editing videos there’s lots of options. I use Camtasia, but there’s also monthly subscription products such as screencast-o-matic, wevideo, promo, pictionary, etc.

It’s easier to not be on camera (unless it’s that little image in the corner when doing screenshares). When trying to get on camera there’s a steeper learning curve, and it’s harder to get started.

A benefit of getting into video is that it could be something your clients want. Many would love a short video on their homepage, and maybe video ads too.

There’s some great YouTube related progress threads in the forum. Check out Phikey’s and Valier’s. Bear in mind they devoted a LOT of time to it.

Beware though … it’s a deep rabbit-hole if you get bitten by the bug!

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
I do plan on starting a YouTube channel, but it requires a lot of time and effort. So, it's far ahead in the future. My plate is full currently, so maybe I'd go with twitter and this forum for now.
If you’re going to use Twitter then just tweet single tweets. Don’t bother with threads
This can help me think clearly, and explain what I learn precisely, and in a shorter format.
Loom is good for quickly recording both. I use it to show prospects/clients what’s up with their website and/or Google Ads.
I can use this for now, to show clients what's wrong/right with their website, what changes need to be made, and things like that.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I can use this for now, to show clients what's wrong/right with their website, what changes need to be made, and things like that.
When you find some advice you keep telling people about their sites, then record a video you can direct people to in future.

A YouTube channel doesn’t have to be a timesuck. Just create helpful videos you can direct people to. Host them on YouTube so you help people in public.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
That’s a “Yes, but”.

Ask yourself if it really requires a lot of time and effort?
I guess, over time, it does get easier. Apart from that, it would also be a great place to revisit to find some golden nuggets, even years after the videos are uploaded. @Fox 's youtube channel and 'a nerd's world' are some examples I could take inspiration from, and just get started with basic tools.

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
It's been a while since I posted here.

There aren't any major updates as of now. Client said she needs the site a month later from now, and isn't in a hurry to get it up and running. Regardless, I'm working on it and going along with Rob's course, and an HTML/CSS course that he mentioned. Implementing as I learn stuff, my aim is to get the website done 15 days from now.

There's a lot going on right now personally, and I'm unable to find time for this project. But hopefully, 15 days is the deadline and will try to get it done by then.

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
Minor update:

1. Instead of being technically sound, and learning all the aspects of building a website, I'll focus more on the marketing part of my client's business. I tried to cram in a number of hours of refreshing my coding knowledge, which is of little use as of now. So, going back to what @Andy Black said- throw something basic together and start running ads.
2. I was documenting my journey on twitter as well, and came across a course called SHIP30FOR30 by Nicolas Cole. The essays looked amazing in there, and the community is super friendly as well. Requested Nicolas if he could help me join in the cohort..and he hooked me up with a free coupon code. So, I'll be joining the community, and the cohort that would start from 3rd January,2022.
The point of joining this cohort was to find fellow like minded people who are on the same journey as I am, and improve my writing game a bit. I always found myself inclined towards writing whenever I was bored or wanted to clear out my head, why not try and become a better writer? Better writing = better thinking.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Minor update:

1. Instead of being technically sound, and learning all the aspects of building a website, I'll focus more on the marketing part of my client's business. I tried to cram in a number of hours of refreshing my coding knowledge, which is of little use as of now. So, going back to what @Andy Black said- throw something basic together and start running ads.
2. I was documenting my journey on twitter as well, and came across a course called SHIP30FOR30 by Nicolas Cole. The essays looked amazing in there, and the community is super friendly as well. Requested Nicolas if he could help me join in the cohort..and he hooked me up with a free coupon code. So, I'll be joining the community, and the cohort that would start from 3rd January,2022.
The point of joining this cohort was to find fellow like minded people who are on the same journey as I am, and improve my writing game a bit. I always found myself inclined towards writing whenever I was bored or wanted to clear out my head, why not try and become a better writer? Better writing = better thinking.
Glad you’re not learning for learnings sake.

I do wonder about producing content for the sake of producing content though. Why not produce content by helping people? Have you listened to this episode of Let's Chat Sales?

It's common for people to avoid engaging the market by taking courses and creating content instead. Just make sure you're not draw to those activities for that reason.

I tried to cram in a number of hours of refreshing my coding knowledge
Ask yourself... can you invoice anyone for doing that?

If not, then get to work. : )

Keep this in mind:

"You can't invoice for input."
(Blaise Brosnan)

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
It's been a long time since I posted here, so here it goes.

There are multiple reasons that forced me to stop posting.

1. My offline business has been shifted to a place far from where I live. (4 hours daily commute). I have to go in early everyday, and come home late at night. I'm commuting via trains, and they're jam packed. So there's no way for me to pursue the client project there. Instead, I open up the kindle app on my phone and have downloaded a few copywriting books which I intend to read and take notes, while on my commute.
2. The responsibilities at work have increased, and I'm on the run almost all the time while I'm working. Besides, my dad's getting old and I've decided to get him retired by next year by taking over his business and growing it as much as I can. (The same business that I'm commuting to.). It's tiring, exhausting yet somehow rewarding at the same time.
3. My friend, whose website I was supposed to make, has postponed the project till the end of January. It would be virtually impossible for me to take out even an hour for coding and building a website until the end of April so I guess I'll think about the project when the time comes. If she is ready to postpone for some time that's perfect, if not, I'll let that project go.
4. My wife's been suffering from heavy stress, anxiety and a ton of overthinking which has led to panic attacks multiple times in the past since we got married.So, I have to do something about it. Maybe it's the place we're living. It's a small town and there's virtually nothing for her to do while I'm working. Thinking of moving to some place else, let's see how that goes.
5. Since I'm taking all the responsibility from my dad, It's overwhelming and I don't know where to start so it's gonna take some time to figure everything out. Which is why I have decided to take a break and focus solely on the business. Maybe some copywriting stuff while on the commute, but anything more than that wouldn't be possible.

So, there it is. It's not that I have given up, but the circumstances have forced me to adapt. Maybe I'll try and make my father's business fastlane. The journey is still incomplete, and I'll be back soon.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.