• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Influence, The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert Cialdini

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it and let's discuss!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion(Review | Discuss)

Do you think master degree in entrepreneurship is useless?

Discussion in 'Education, Learning, Books' started by ericaung, Feb 10, 2019.

1. ericaung

ericaung Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $144
    Hello,
    I just wondering master degree in entrepreneurship is useless or useful for starting out own business?
    Which courses should I take to learn more about entrepreneurship except collecting paper certificates?

2. Scot

Scot Ductus Exemplo Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $56,327
    Completely useless.

Even an associates in “entrepreneurship” is bordline pushing it.

Can you name one high profile founder who has a degree in entrepreneurship?

I’ve learned more than any degree about business by just doing and learning on the fly.

GPM, Thomas Baptiste, Xeon and 16 others like this.
  3. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $182,411
    Fire up a Google Ads or Facebook Ads account. Don’t even “learn” the platform first.

Invest $5 or $10 every single day, getting visitors to a page. Maybe it’s a page you created. Maybe it’s the website for some local business.

Now try to convert that $ spend into $ revenue.

Bet you’ll learn more doing that over the course of one year than doing a full-time Masters.

4. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $182,411
  5. jon.M

jon.M The Well Defined Forum Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $390
    The only way to learn entrepreneurship is to start with something. Everybody's got a plan until they get hit in the face. The knowledge you need can be acquired by living your life and solving problems, reading free stuff on internet and buying $15 books on Amazon.

6. ericaung

Rep Bank:
    $144
    Thank you so much for your input guys! I appreciate it.

The course from Harvard Business Online maybe useless. its $1k USD for one single course so called "entrepreneurship Essentials" :/

ZF Lee likes this.
  7. Scot

Scot Ductus Exemplo Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $56,327
    Wait..

Wait...

This was a digital course from Harvard for $1,000? Are they actually awarding an MBA?

Sounds more like you almost got scammed by Harvard.

8. ericaung

Rep Bank:
    $144
    Xeon likes this.
  9. Scot

Rep Bank:
    $56,327
    So, it is or isn’t an MBA?

Because your title and OP said masters degree...

Xeon likes this.
  10. ericaung

Rep Bank:
    $144
    rpeck90 likes this.
  11. Kruiser

Kruiser Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $1,707
    Useless MAs are a major source of cash for universities. Getting an additional degree only makes sense if you desire a specific job that requires that degree (e.g., medicine). Who are you going to impress with a degree in entrepreneurship? No one is going to buy anything from your company because of your degree. You have what they want or you don't.

socaldude, Xeon, Tommo and 2 others like this.
  12. jasoncuellar123

jasoncuellar123 I’m probably awake. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $14,866
    It’s kinda of an oxymoron.

Getting a degree in entrepreneurship is like getting a degree in anti-astablishment.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Fox, Xeon, Tommo and 7 others like this.
  13. jpanarra

jpanarra Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $16,796
    I have a masters in business administration, if anything.. this is worth more than the degree you're talking about.. and I haven't even gotten a real return from it yet.

Xeon and ericaung like this.
  14. Seth Goodluck

Seth Goodluck Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,157
    Arguably, nothing is useless ;)
    John Wick killed men with a pencil.

But is it necessary - probably not.
    Most entrepreneurs and folks here probably have a bit of business education at most in that direction.

My "major" involved a lot of entrepreneurship courses... finance/business/marketing/etc.
    I definitely use what I learned, but I definitely didn't need the courses to learn them if that makes sense.

I'd say - get it if it is free (or damn near) and if the courses/professors themselves are especially interesting. But don't get it expecting to walk out as a 'certified entrepreneur' with credibility. That takes starting something which the degree doesn't do ;)

ericaung likes this.
  15. Blek

Blek Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $99
    It's useless. Unless state have monopoly to give You a privilage to do things (teacher, doctor etc.).
    Best seen at IT studies. Paper means nothing.

Xeon, Primeperiwinkle and ericaung like this.
  16. ZF Lee

ZF Lee Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,468
    I feel afraid to wonder what other Masters Degrees exist out there...

Xeon, Primeperiwinkle and ericaung like this.
  17. wade1mil

wade1mil ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,838
    I have an Associates in Business. I learned more in two weeks creating a product than two years studying in school. I'd say a really good business school like Wharton's would definitely benefit you, but you'd be better off starting a business and learning as you go than getting a MBA from Kansas State or something.

18. maverick

maverick Unorthodox Nonconformist Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,332
    You need a paradigm shift.

This is what you have conditioned yourself with:

Go to school -> study -> do the exams -> get good grades.

Go to work -> do overtime / go the extra mile -> performance review -> promotion / marginal increase in pay

Entrepreneurship doesn't work like this.

Trailblaze.

19. ZF Lee

ZF Lee Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,468
    One of my projects at business school was to write a business plan.

After numerous review sessions with the lecturer, peers and other academic materials, the finished work ended up being a thick stack of papers.

I'm wondering if real-world investors have the time and patience to look all over that literary atrocity...

Is the professor grading your work using the POV of a full-blooded entrepreneur/investor or an academic that goes by the book?

Both come from TWO very different world.

Even if the academics do have consulting experience, you just don't know what 'consulting' means. Consulting can be done in a regular corporate boardroom or in a coffee shop.

Xeon, ericaung and NMdad like this.
  20. maverick

maverick Unorthodox Nonconformist Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,332
    I would rate the feedback of a lecturer highly if it concerned lectures.

I would not rate the feedback of a lecturer highly if it concerned the feasibility and achievability of a business idea.

ericaung and ZF Lee like this.
  21. NMdad

NMdad Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,103
    What if you decided to spend the same amount of time not on an entrepreneurship course, but on finding a need you can fulfill--and create a progress thread about it?

ericaung and Andy Black like this.
  22. maverick

Rep Bank:
    $3,332
  23. DustinH

DustinH Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,692
    A university teaching a course on entrepreneurship has to be one of the most ironically antithetical dichotomies out there.

It's like when George Costanza was trying to teach Derek Jeter and the Yankees how to hit a baseball. He had no experience or track record of success doing it.

Unless you can use the program to market yourself then it's a waste of time and money because you will not learn what need to be successful. An MBA is useful for people looking to become mid-level managers, not business owners. I looked into hard about 10 years ago. Even took an accounting class (I got it for free because I worked at the university at the time). I realized I wasn't going to learn what I wanted to learn and focused my time on something else.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    ericaung and Tommo like this.
  24. jcvlds

jcvlds JC Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,354
    If there are specific topics that you want to learn about from an MBA or other MS program, look up several class curriculums from several schools and then dissect those topics into further specific areas for your situation.

Having these topics, look for books, blogs, forums, podcasts, etc that talk about these specific topics. Some may be free, some may be paid, regardless, it will be much cheaper than a full-time university program, but more importantly, will be much targeted to whatever you need at the moment and likely to be more actionable than just trying to memorize things for an upcoming exam.

MJ talks about this in his books.

ericaung likes this.
  25. Knugs

Knugs Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,462
    There are some good things about Business school. You meet like minded people and have all the time on your hands to start a business without parental obstruction. You enjoy University infrastructure and get to live the student life. My friend studied at a private business school in Europe that was popular among rich foreign families. There he met 2 Russians and they received a private Investment to launch a fashion label. He does confirm what everybody says here though: The academic knowledge is useless and you learn far more from going right into entrepreneurship.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.