The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I get a third master degree?

D

Deleted78083

Hey,
I've been struggling with making this decision for a few months now. I'd be happy to get some feedback on this.

I have a Bsc in communication (not the best choice I've made in life), a Master in management and am now finishing a Master in political science (I live in Belgium so tuition fees cost is irrelevant). I'm considering to do an MBA in finance (2 years) next year for the following reasons:
- I don't think I have reached my full potential in academic terms, an idea that I cannot stand.
- I don't want to regret not having studied an MBA when I'll be older
- I really enjoy finance and economics, and trade in my spare time (stocks and crypto). I feel I'd need a diploma to give my skills value.
- I feel bad for not having studied any math courses and just got one finance course in my management master. I have this certainty that my resume makes me look like a stupid person and I can't stand this idea.
- I think that this MBA would give me a chance to work in banking, learn the trade and subsequently start my own firm. My Master in management is not considered enough for me to work in banking as it is too competitive.
- I'd like to meet like-minded students that also want to do entrepreneurship
- I'd study one year in the Flemish part of the country and could then greatly improve my Dutch.
- The virus has destroyed the economy and I'll most likely not be able to find a job anyway (bad excuse, I know).
- I really don't feel ready to get a job yet.
- If I want to do this, I need to do it now. Later, it'll be too late.
- I can always try, and if it doesn't work, I can just quit and move on to the next step.

Now, here's why I think I shouldn't do this master:
- I'm 25 years old, 26 in August, and that means that I'd be 28 when I'd graduate.
- I have an idea for a great company (which is eventually what I want to do), wrote the business plan, and the development plan, and "all is left for me to do" is to start acting on the plan and look for suppliers.
- Three masters is weird as f*
- I feel I have been living on the hook of society long enough and that now it is my turn to give back.
- I don't feel like I deserve to be given the chance to do this when I see my highschool friends and siblings working for already 2 or 3 years.

What do you think? To give a final metaphor, I feel like a diabetic person about to eat a chocolate cake. I want it, but I have this idea on the back of my mind that I'm abusing a bit the system where the state is paying for my medical expenses.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
- I have an idea for a great company (which is eventually what I want to do), wrote the business plan, and the development plan, and "all is left for me to do" is to start acting on the plan and look for suppliers.

If you share the opinion of that forum, than that s the answer on your question what to do!

Otherwise you can get another Master or two. As you like.

gryfny

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 11, 2019
Europe
- I really enjoy finance and economics, and trade in my spare time (stocks and crypto). I feel I'd need a diploma to give my skills value.
Why do you feel you need to get a diploma to prove your skills? IMO it would be a way better way to show your skill by succeeding as an entrepreneur.

Why do you think so? My dad got his first master degree when he was almost 60.

Bobby_italy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Jan 19, 2016
I think one thing we learnt on this forum is that a degree especially in your case is just a piece of paper, you now have 2 masters and a bachelor degree, do you really think you couldn’t have learned those things on your own?
Did you need them for legal reasons?
Like I study engineering just because I can’t be one if haven’t got a degree and passed the state exam, like literally you study so your signature has a meaning.

Yet even in my field I see a lot of “engineers” who work the professions before finishing their studies, because they’re like the assistant of someone who reviews their work and puts signatures.

So are you really sure you can’t find a job with your current education?
If you can’t why did you study those things? Passion?
I always thought if someone studies for passion they must have a plan B, I used to share an apartment with a professor(high school) and he had 3 master in bullshit degrees like political science qnd history of politics(don’t know how to translate properly but you can understand), the ONLY job he could work was TEACHER, for under minimum wage because he was teaching PHYLOSOPHY and there weren’t many hours of teaching, he finished studying at nearly 30 and wasted insane amounts of money his parents worked 30 years to gather.

When I asked him why he went that route he responded: I liked the subjects and didn’t want to start working so I kept studying, now I feel like I’ve been scammed by the system.

He feels like he deserves 3x his salary just because he studied 10+ years, LOL, and always ranted about how entrepreneurs where bad because they made huge money with high school education(hello dad), while HE, a clear genious whose whole studies matter zero because a google search will tell you everything he knowns and then some because you need zero logic to understand what happened in history, FEELS LIKE THE STATE OWNS HIM A FUTURE.

So if you’re studying to get a job TRY everywhere to see if you can find said job maybe even do 6 months of apprentship, BEFORE going with the third master.

Or if you’re rich enough and don’t need to work/make money just keep studying whatever makes you feel fullfilled.
There’s no shame in that.

Bobby_italy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Jan 19, 2016
Why do you feel you need to get a diploma to prove your skills? IMO it would be a way better way to show your skill by succeeding as an entrepreneur.

Why do you think so? My dad got his first master degree when he was almost 60.
Same with my uncle, worked for telecom as an engineer they saw potential in him and asked him to get a masters degree(very specific) at 50, he finished it and his salary was doubled if not more while leading the biggest telecomunications project in the country.
But again this is a MUST not a “I think I need this to have more chances”

eGrizzly

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Hey,

- I'm 25 years old, 26 in August, and that means that I'd be 28 when I'd graduate.

This is a very easy answer because of the two areas I bolded above. My answer is to go for the MBA because

#1 As shown in the first comment your passion (what you enjoy) is obviously in finance/economics and not in Management or Political Science, the two areas you already have Masters in.

#2 OMG! 26 years old is so so young! There are people who are 50 comfortable doing their Masters Degree (even their Bachelors!!!).

...and as a third bonus point, being that you have already completed a Masters in Management you're gonna be ahead of the game with the other students as their are overlapping courses in with the Masters in Management and MBA.

So yeah do go for it as the MBA is the only degree that aligns with your passions and will make you happy. You're freaking super-young dude!

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
a friend of mine works in a automobile buying business. He worked on building F1 cars. Finally he got the boss of motor development. Than, after years of working someone of the engeneers recogniced, that he had nothing. No degree. Failed in highschool .Nada. He had a hard 2 following years while getting a master degree as a side hustle to work on!

So , no, you don’t need a master. And not at all a third.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
- I don't think I have reached my full potential in academic terms, an idea that I cannot stand.
- I feel bad for not having studied any math courses and just got one finance course in my management master. I have this certainty that my resume makes me look like a stupid person and I can't stand this idea.
- I think that this MBA would give me a chance to work in banking, learn the trade and subsequently start my own firm. My Master in management is not considered enough for me to work in banking as it is too competitive.

Yeah. Do it.

Your answer is right there. You want to get a job. So get the paper that lets you have that job.

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida

I started my first company while doing school. I hated it because I was only making $20k - $50k per year. But when I graduated I was six figures.

If you really want to take the MBA do it. And do your business venture. Why not do both. What do you lose?

Seriously, not even a question. MBA is simple AF if you can do basic accounting and arithmetic. And if you can write an essay (you should after 6+ years) you'll be fine. My final year I was writing papers in 2 hours and getting A-/A+ it's not hard.

D

DeletedUser0287

Hey,
I've been struggling with making this decision for a few months now. I'd be happy to get some feedback on this.

I have a Bsc in communication (not the best choice I've made in life), a Master in management and am now finishing a Master in political science (I live in Belgium so tuition fees cost is irrelevant). I'm considering to do an MBA in finance (2 years) next year for the following reasons:
- I'd study one year in the Flemish part of the country and could then greatly improve my Dutch.
- The virus has destroyed the economy and I'll most likely not be able to find a job anyway (bad excuse, I know).
- I can always try, and if it doesn't work, I can just quit and move on to the next step.

- I feel I have been living on the hook of society long enough and that now it is my turn to give back.
- I don't feel like I deserve to be given the chance to do this when I see my highschool friends and siblings working for already 2 or 3 years.

What do you think? To give a final metaphor, I feel like a diabetic person about to eat a chocolate cake. I want it, but I have this idea on the back of my mind that I'm abusing a bit the system where the state is paying for my medical expenses.

Is college education free in Belgium?

But anyways, I don't know why you are putting these degrees/credentials on a pedestal. If there is a specific job you want and you are forced to need to get a specific license/degree, then sure go ahead. But if you just want to start a company, literally zero credentials/degree are needed. Spend time to get a cash flow going to fund your venture.

rhyeal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Sep 5, 2019
Anchorage, AK
I'm currently getting my Doctorate after I achieved my first (and only) Masters degree. I have considered looking at getting my MBA and/or a JD.

Here's why I'm probably not getting either of them:
a) My Bachelors is in business. An MBA is meant (in the US, at least) for retraining into a management mindset for larger companies. If you've got a solid grasp on finance and/or accounting, an MBA won't tell you what you don't already know (or have hired lawyers to tell you).
b) The cost is huge in the US for these
c) Time spent studying when I could be making a business

Here's why I think you should consider why you want a MBA.
a) 3 Masters tells me you excel at learning. A Doctorate would tell me you can create knowledge on your own. Consider a Doctorate instead of another Masters. A Doctorate is focused on academically proving knowledge and contributing back to your field. It's creating...kind of like making a product as an entrepreneur.
b) A Doctorate lets you call yourself Dr. XXXX. As an entrepreneur, that's kind of meaningless, but in front of clients, that's a huge leg up on competitors.
c) Your MBA will largely be useless when you first start, unless you focus on a MBA in entrepreneurship. A MBA will let you understand how to issue stocks and bonds and plan multiyear large strategic moves. A new company needs sales to survive, not million dollar bond issuances.
d) You don't need a MBA in banking, depending on where you go in the industry. Stock trading is experience, not degrees. Stock sales / account management you need degrees. Stock analysis, a degree helps, but being right helps more. Investment banking, no one cares. Have good companies to sell and sell then to high bidders - you'd be better off improving your golf game. Commercial banking - yeah, get the degree.

Here's why I think you should get the MBA in finance:
a) If the sector of banking you want to go into requires it, get the degree.
b) If you feel you need it to start a business once you get experience and that experience requires the degree...get the degree. That's why I got my Masters and why I'm getting my Doctorate.

If you want those three letters after your name, then do it. I wanted a Dr. in front of my name because it will make me feel more accomplished when pitching to clients. Know yourself.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
630%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
“I want a third masters degree and want to spend all my time in school” and “I want to do entrepreneurship” are completely oxymoronic.

You are not an entrepreneur. You are an employee.

I would say degrees are about as useful as toilet paper but we actually need toilet paper nowadays.

View: https://youtu.be/ufN8MxyMlEQ

ygtrhos

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Dec 27, 2016
PhD mechanical engineer here. Spent 11 years in university in one of the hardest engineering disciplines.

Just to give you an idea: I can program in MATLAB and Pyhton, do linear algebra, understand solid mechanics on a world-class research level.

Nobody on earth can question my math skills really.

And at the end, what is the practical benefit of these things?

You get 500€ more salary than the other dude that does not have a PhD or masters'.

Is it worth studying? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

I have been learning HTML and CSS the last 2-3 weeks. These will earn more money probably to me than 10 years of academic achievement in my whole life.

Stay away from the university trap. Take risks, you are young, go for the most practical way. Universities in 2020 are way overrated. They would probably hurt your work ethic, make you a lazy and sleazy person.

If you want to learn Dutch, go to NL or Flanders and work on your business.

D

DeletedUser0287

PhD mechanical engineer here. Spent 11 years in university in one of the hardest engineering disciplines.

Just to give you an idea: I can program in MATLAB and Pyhton, do linear algebra, understand solid mechanics on a world-class research level.

Nobody on earth can question my math skills really.

And at the end, what is the practical benefit of these things?

You get 500€ more salary than the other dude that does not have a PhD or masters'.

Is it worth studying? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

I have been learning HTML and CSS the last 2-3 weeks. These will earn more money probably to me than 10 years of academic achievement in my whole life.

Stay away from the university trap. Take risks, you are young, go for the most practical way. Universities in 2020 are way overrated. They would probably hurt your work ethic, make you a lazy and sleazy person.

If you want to learn Dutch, go to NL or Flanders and work on your business.

Why did you decide to go for PhD then? Why is mechanical engineering considered the hardest? Or did you realize this in hindsight?

I am developing a product that is pretty much all mechanical engineering, just by trial and error.

Bobby_italy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Jan 19, 2016
Why did you decide to go for PhD then? Why is mechanical engineering considered the hardest? Or did you realize this in hindsight?

I am developing a product that is pretty much all mechanical engineering, just by trial and error.
I agree it's very difficult, have a few friends majoring in it.
Probably for 2 reasons:
-1 you have to like it or you won't make it through;
-2 honestly people think once you get that achievement you're set up for success and money(oh boy).

Also side note, not all universities are created equal, if you study in a top 10 university in the world in your matter you will get paid more than the next one with less academical achievements but as the guy above said it's very little difference, just because said universities have contacts with big companies like Fiat/ferrari etc...
In engineering this is especially true, I can see some of my friends studying 1/3th of the material(just because they are in a series B uni) and getting the same degree.

Practical example you get a structural engineering phd in the MIT you're really good, you achieve it in the small uni of a random city, meh idk about the quality of your studies...

Last edited:

Raedrum

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 30, 2019
@mon_fi ,

I can't say really more than the answers you already get. This forum is about richness, so what is your definition of richness ? Is it money ? It's a good answer. Knowledges ? Good too. Freedom ? I think this is the best of all. Money and knowledge can bring it to you, so what is the way you choose ?

You must keep in mind a few things:

1) Communication's skills is largely underestimated

You say it was a bad decision to study communication. Yes, if you plan to work for somebody else's richness, it is one of the most useless degree in Belgium, and it often lead you to shitty work. BUT, for entreprenneurship, to way of creating things and solutions on your own, this is clearly a must-have skill ! The ability to communicate ideas in large-scale is just gold. Did you know that the man who created Starbuck had just a bachelor in communication ? Now he have created one of the most humongous cofee-chain in the world. Ho, and he's rich as f*ck of course.

2) School is a business, and you are his customer.

I may not be objective for I have totally f*cked up my studies, but guess what ? I've never learn more since I left school. I litteraly spend years trying to get a diploma, basically learn nothing useful. Now that I am free of pre-established cursus, I can learn wathever I want, in an efficient, personnal way. I learn code, marketing, economy, fiscality, storytelling, 3D modelling, sale, management, ... And I'm able to have relevant discussion with people who are actually graduate experts. They are respecting my opinions. In this world of communication, knowledge have never been so easy to catch. Even for corporate jobs, company are beginning to look to autodidact employee for they have an "out of the box" mind, and proof of self-awareness and discipline (even in Belgium). You must realize that school have NOT the monopoly of knowledge and studies. I know this is difficult to catch for someone who have never have a job (I've been there...) but trust me, you can study what you want, anytime, everywhere and come with relevant skills. MBA (largely) included. This is nice and rewarding, and in addition there is actually good ways to certifiate your skills if you need so. (portfolion referee, ...) Ask @Andy Black, he will tell you about the storytelling that school practice on you (I remember he was quite sad about this massive lie).

3) What do you want ?

Are you seeking money, knowledge, degree, freedom ? If you are seeking knowledge, you don't need a degree for that. Same for money and freedom. If you stand with the idea that you need another official degree to reach happiness, it's fine too, but make sure that you're doing it for the right reasons. You can become a finance expert by yourself. Nothing is worse than spend years in school, hoping to rush the work-market before realising than the market doesn't give a sh*t about your degree. There is plenty of stories about that. So, what is your plan ? Do you want a high-pay corporate job ? For how long in your life ? Are you planning to do entreprenneurship at some point ? You say you have a nice idea of company right now. Do you need the degree for that ? What is actually your reals skills in finance ? Remember that you're will be able to hire MBA...
In addition, you have degrees in management and commu... I see a really good start point for entrepreneurship.

In conclusion, if you want to have a corporate job for a time, and you need the degree, professionnaly and personnaly, do it. If you want to create your company now, STUDY your MBA by your own and go for it. You have visibly ease in learning, so there will be no issues.

In addition, you said that you don't feel ready to have a job. Listen: nobody is ready to have a job, and staying at school is a common way of post-posing the problem. It usually have bad results. But working will learn you news and vitals thing: be responsible, self-sufficient, new social, earn money (for your company !) struggle with issues, commitment, ...

Do not forget that if your company work, maybe one day you'll be rich and will have the freedom of doing all the masters you want ;) Imagine the joy of coming back to school later with your millions, and be able to study for study, with no pressure of getting a job or time or wathever. Now this is freedom.

Bobby_italy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Jan 19, 2016
@mon_fi ,

I can't say really more than the answers you already get. This forum is about richness, so what is your definition of richness ? Is it money ? It's a good answer. Knowledges ? Good too. Freedom ? I think this is the best of all. Money and knowledge can bring it to you, so what is the way you choose ?

You must keep in mind a few things:

1) Communication's skills is largely underestimated

You say it was a bad decision to study communication. Yes, if you plan to work for somebody else's richness, it is one of the most useless degree in Belgium, and it often lead you to shitty work. BUT, for entreprenneurship, to way of creating things and solutions on your own, this is clearly a must-have skill ! The ability to communicate ideas in large-scale is just gold. Did you know that the man who created Starbuck had just a bachelor in communication ? Now he have created one of the most humongous cofee-chain in the world. Ho, and he's rich as f*ck of course.

2) School is a business, and you are his customer.

I may not be objective for I have totally f*cked up my studies, but guess what ? I've never learn more since I left school. I litteraly spend years trying to get a diploma, basically learn nothing useful. Now that I am free of pre-established cursus, I can learn wathever I want, in an efficient, personnal way. I learn code, marketing, economy, fiscality, storytelling, 3D modelling, sale, management, ... And I'm able to have relevant discussion with people who are actually graduate experts. They are respecting my opinions. In this world of communication, knowledge have never been so easy to catch. Even for corporate jobs, company are beginning to look to autodidact employee for they have an "out of the box" mind, and proof of self-awareness and discipline (even in Belgium). You must realize that school have NOT the monopoly of knowledge and studies. I know this is difficult to catch for someone who have never have a job (I've been there...) but trust me, you can study what you want, anytime, everywhere and come with relevant skills. MBA (largely) included. This is nice and rewarding, and in addition there is actually good ways to certifiate your skills if you need so. (portfolion referee, ...) Ask @Andy Black, he will tell you about the storytelling that school practice on you (I remember he was quite sad about this massive lie).

3) What do you want ?

Are you seeking money, knowledge, degree, freedom ? If you are seeking knowledge, you don't need a degree for that. Same for money and freedom. If you stand with the idea that you need another official degree to reach happiness, it's fine too, but make sure that you're doing it for the right reasons. You can become a finance expert by yourself. Nothing is worse than spend years in school, hoping to rush the work-market before realising than the market doesn't give a sh*t about your degree. There is plenty of stories about that. So, what is your plan ? Do you want a high-pay corporate job ? For how long in your life ? Are you planning to do entreprenneurship at some point ? You say you have a nice idea of company right now. Do you need the degree for that ? What is actually your reals skills in finance ? Remember that you're will be able to hire MBA...
In addition, you have degrees in management and commu... I see a really good start point for entrepreneurship.

In conclusion, if you want to have a corporate job for a time, and you need the degree, professionnaly and personnaly, do it. If you want to create your company now, STUDY your MBA by your own and go for it. You have visibly ease in learning, so there will be no issues.

In addition, you said that you don't feel ready to have a job. Listen: nobody is ready to have a job, and staying at school is a common way of post-posing the problem. It usually have bad results. But working will learn you news and vitals thing: be responsible, self-sufficient, new social, earn money (for your company !) struggle with issues, commitment, ...

Do not forget that if your company work, maybe one day you'll be rich and will have the freedom of doing all the masters you want ;) Imagine the joy of coming back to school later with your millions, and be able to study for study, with no pressure of getting a job or time or wathever. Now this is freedom.
this should be made into a flyer and sent out to high schools

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hey,

It’s your life. Do what makes you happy. I do wonder though if you’re continuously learning because you don’t feel confident that you know enough?

Here’s my position:
> What if you already know enough?
> You already know enough
> You don't need to be an expert

D

Deleted78083

. I do wonder though if you’re continuously learning because you don’t feel confident that you know enough?

Yes, it is part of the reason. Every time I meet someone who studied something I don't know, i feel almost guilty, and I have to learn what they know. I feel I need to know everything before starting, but it is not true, I can learn on the job. I ll have a look at your threads, thx.

Raedrum

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 30, 2019
@mon_fi,
Ok man this is a bad reason for sure. I assure I can understand this guilty feeling but this is a lie, you don't have to do anything in comparaison to others. Moreover, you must realize that school and degree do NOT learn you the field's real skills. The degree is a paper who say "This guy is smart and he can learn and work under pressure" ABSOLUTELY NOT that you are an expert. This, you'll learn it while working. Ironically the master don't make you a master. Years of working do. Ask any graduate worker if school have prepared him to work, the response will stand between "Meh, barely" to "absolutely not". Even 5 years of school give you the very general bases to learn the real work, and the real learning begin when you start working.

After that, if you feel that you want to work in financial/bank sector for your reasons, and you need the diploma, this is another thing. But don't stay at school by fear of knowing not enough. Remember that being overqualified is a real problem. Here in Belgium most IT company prefere to hire 3 years coders than civil engineer (less cost, more efficacity)

No I think that, except in the case where the MBA is absolutely needed for you project, you can pass... And if you want to discuss with graduate of others field, just read reference book...

A little trick: go to the university webpage of the cursus (MBA) you want, they have the legal obligation to put the sources of their courses. There, it will be reference book, and those book are often reaaaaal nice, even better than the course. If you study them by your own, you can reach real skills. I must say that since I do that, I'm really offended by the low quality of the university course (and I speak about hard science) the reference books are sooooo better. I'm now barely asking myself why I have gone to college...

Last edited:

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Seems to me like you are a serial student. Feeling safe in the cossetted world of academia and scared shitless to go out into the real world and make a contribution. When you have your MBA you'll make more excuses and decide that a Doctorate is vital in order to get a job. It's a mindset issue. Fear of failure. Fear of the unknown. Fear of being outside of your comfort zone. And I don't mean any of that to sound harsh. I'm not judging you. It's just the reality.

What exactly are you on this forum for? Seems to me we are a bad fit. Being an entrepreneur is all about facing fears. Working at height without a safety net. Never quite knowing what unseen obstacle will show up next, or when. Jumping out of a plane and working out how to make a parachute on the way down is a very good description of how we operate. It seems you want to be an employee when eventually you run out of degree's or excuses.

Have you thought about a life in academia? As a lecturer? If you are addicted to learning then that might be your best fit. You can be paid to learn and teach others what you know.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Jumping out of a plane and working out how to make a parachute on the way down is a very good description of how we operate.
:D Thats so true.
Usually we go *splat* and then think:
"Right, I have to bring a sheet next time."
Then *splat* again.
"OK, I need some rope as well."
*splat*
"Hmm, Must learn how to sew better."
*splat*
"Alright, straps and harness are needed."
*splat*
"Clearly I need to add a hole in the parachute to be able to control it."
*crash land*
"Well that wasnt so bad, lets to it again"

D

Deleted78083

Seems to me like you are a serial student. Feeling safe in the cossetted world of academia and scared shitless to go out into the real world and make a contributio

Yeah, i'd say it is about right. And while it is entirely my fault and completely up to me to change that...it is a generational thing really, all of my classmates are in the same situation. They are disappointed to see that uni didn't bring them as much as they thought and don't feel at ease about the idea to start working (impostor syndrome). I am in the same situation, but instead of thinking uni failed me, I think i failed grasping all that uni taught me, and must therefore keep on studying.

But then it is an endless circle, the more you learn, the more you realize you know nothing in regard to the amount of knowledge that exists, and so you think you need to learn more and more and more before starting, but it is bs, and i know that: you learn as you go along, you learn as you do, not as you study.

There is as well this idea that academia gives you some sort of structure, of path, so you can plan to some extent, you are the master of your own fate: you study, you pass. Life is easy, that is all what is required of you. "Real life", it is not like that, if you are an entrepreneur, you depend on your clients, if you are an employee, it is even worse, you depend on your boss AND on his/her clients. Yeah, f* that really, I didn't sign for that, i loath this feeling of dependence. It is a lot of risk, a lot of uncertainties. I think that's why i am on this forum. The fastlane, ultimately, is the less risky life path. Once you achieve total financial independence, you can kiss risk good bye. But to reach such a level of risk-free life...you gotta take a fair amount of risk first. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

I guess i'll do it at some point, first i ll get a job somewhere, realize it sucks, quit it, and once i won't have any other choice, i ll start my very own thread "i am starting today" with a nice looking "execution" flair. But in the meantime...i look at this third master like a smoker wishing to quit looks at one last cigarette, like Vin Diesel looks at his car saying his infamous "one last ride".

"Just a last one, i think. I promise i'll stop after that...one last introduction week, one last housewarming party, one last university, one last thesis, one last master...i ll stop after that".

Funny how i initially resisted entering uni. Now, i don't want to get out.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Have you read those threads I linked to?

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I guess i'll do it at some point, first i ll get a job somewhere, realize it sucks, quit it, and once i won't have any other choice, i ll start my very own thread "i am starting today" with a nice looking "execution" flair. But in the meantime...i look at this third master like a smoker wishing to quit looks at one last cigarette, like Vin Diesel looks at his car saying his infamous "one last ride".

Ok, just a word to the wise though. You won't appreciate it right now, as you are still relatively young, but time has a habit of sneaking out the door when you are not looking. Ask anyone who is getting on a little in years and they wonder where that time went. Blink once and a year goes by, next you blink twice and a decade has slipped unnoticed through your fingers.

Ignore those words at your peril. They will come true I promise you. I'd much rather you didn't 'do it at some point' if it is in your heart to start your own business. You would be much better off doing so now. Don't let the pandemic get in your way. Use it as a reason to strike out on your own. The old adage of when is the best time to plant a tree comes to mind. 20 years ago, the next best time is now.

If you wait you will regret it when that time comes (if it ever does). That I also promise you. My father said to me before he died:

"Son, I gave the best years of my life to some bugger else, don't make the same mistake".

If you wait for that 'some point' in the future you will look back and remember the words in this thread many years from now. And you will remember them with sorrow and regret.

D

Deleted78083

Have you read those threads I linked to?

I've just read them, and it totally fits with the essence of business. Jack Ma wanted to help Chinese factories sell abroad, Zuckerberg wanted to help people communicate (at the beginning at least), Jobs wanted to help people be more productive etc.... By helping people, you're de facto addressing a need. I knew that, but somehow...I wasn't consciously aware of it. What a paradigm shift...! Thx Andy : )

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.