• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

EXECUTION Stop telling us what you did. Show us what you achieved.

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by maverick, Feb 12, 2019.

1. maverick

maverick Unorthodox Nonconformist Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,293
    There seems to be a new trend.

Lots of progress threads are opened where people share their day-to-day activities.

Stop using progress threads as a way to justify to yourself that you're progressing when really you've been procrastinating.

Start showing. Stop telling.

2. BlackMagician

BlackMagician Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $976
    Hello @maverick
    Can you see my progress thread and tell me if i am one of them? telling not showing. (thread)

3. Fox

Fox Moderator Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $83,781
  4. BlackMagician

BlackMagician Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $976
    Fox, do you mean i am one of them who tell what i did not show what i achieved?

5. TKDTyler

TKDTyler Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $8,984
    He is saying that the OP is asking for something he has yet to even produce. He’s been part of the forum since 2013, yet hasn’t even started a progress thread of his own after 6 years.

Daily action > No action.

OP only wants to hear about the events - not the process.

Things you can show = events.
    Things you can say you did = actions.

Actions > Events on this forum.

Fox and BlackMagician like this.
  6. BlackMagician

Rep Bank:
    $976
    Oh. Pretty much explained. Thanks for clarification. Off to execution!

7. MHP368

MHP368 the man, the myth, the Pseudo-Apollodorus Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,441
    I disagree , a progress thread is great self reflection and how many have we seen where they abandon a project with no legs and pursue something else (and start a new thread)? , if they didn't have the thread and some sense of urgency / obligation , a few folks rooting them on and some pointing out obvious flaws these folks would still be going it alone at home on that first bad idea.

How many of the progress threads are notable or gilded? , if folks didn't start progress threads until theyd done something awesome then we would miss out on lots of pragmatic tips and insight.

Sure you can fill the thread with mundane busy work that might be called "action faking" more than progress (no one cares that it took you 6 hours on google to decide to go ahead and form an llc) but we have this reading ability called "skimming" available to use.

BlackMagician likes this.
  8. Fox

Fox Moderator Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $83,781
    Exactly - there are a lot of detailed progress threads on here where people have made massive results.

9. amp0193

amp0193 Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $49,487
    A progress thread is not necessary to be a part of this forum. I'd only be irritated if he had one, and it was a bunch of action faking baloney.

I share the sentiments of the OP.

Have your progress thread. Post updates about what you've done, and less about what you're going to do.

The act of telling others that you are going to do something, produces dopamine just like doing the actual thing does. You feel like you did something, when you didn't. It actually makes you less likely to do the thing you said you were going to do.

The way I take the OP, he's cool with actions and events.

It's the non-events and non-action that are unnecessary.

Lots of ways to interpret written text. Maybe @maverick can jump in here and clarify his position.

TKDTyler likes this.
  10. Charnell

Charnell Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $11,045
    If I wanted nothing but the survivorship biased end results I would go watch YouTube videos about how "I made $200k drop shipping in 1 month!"

A good progress thread has a few parts to make it educational to follow.
    1. Goal setting & a plan of attack
    2. Updates pertaining to those goals & plans
    3. Interaction from & with the crowd
    If it was nothing but "I closed a new client and secured $1,800 MRR for 6 months" followed by a similar post every few weeks...boring & braggadocio.

But when it's "I want to reach $2,500 MRR so I can leave my min wage job. I'll be crushing 60 cold calls on my days off. How's my script? (1 week later) Man cold calling is kicking my a$$, but I have a meeting set up. (1 week later) Secured my first deal for $1,800 every month for 6 months! I had to make over 400 calls, have 6 meetings, and I have another meeting tomorrow!" that's telling a story that unfolds over time.

rogue synthetic likes this.
  11. ZCP

ZCP Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $31,031
    1.What are you going to do?
    2.When will it be completed?
    3.Go F*cking do it.
    4.Report the results.
    5.List the next things to do.
    Loop.....

Leave out 3? Leave out the progress thread. That what @maverick is trying to say?

I also agree w/ @Fox

12. maverick

maverick Unorthodox Nonconformist Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,293
    This is a fair challenge.

Progress threads have the most value when activities are shared that have been done over a period of time. A retrospective if you will.

These posts always share outcomes of these activities. This can be anything, e.g. sharing the outcome of a certain meeting, a photo of a new warehouse or products being delivered, or even a screenshot of amazon sales volume.

I don't "only want to hear about the events - not the process". The process is what I've outlined above. The process is actually a series of activities followed by events.

The number 1 factor that determines whether or not someone perseveres is by using positive feedback loops. Taking action, and then seeing the results of that action i.e. the "events".

I'm interested in understanding what positive feedback loops other entrepreneurs use to keep going. These are the things that we can actually learn from.

Let's keep the discussion objective and steer clear of incorrect assertions and ad hominem attacks.

Fox and BlackMagician like this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.