The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I get a third master degree?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I've just read them, and it totally fits with the essence of business. Jack Ma wanted to help Chinese factories sell abroad, Zuckerberg wanted to help people communicate (at the beginning at least), Jobs wanted to help people be more productive etc.... By helping people, you're de facto addressing a need. I knew that, but somehow...I wasn't consciously aware of it. What a paradigm shift...! Thx Andy : )
Glad a penny dropped.

Maybe the two radio interviews in my signature might help too.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
MBA is for employees. Sometimes people need to learn that on their own so if you also have to then go there. You can always resign after first half of the year.

And maybe you don't have experience for business. Then ,although hated by many in this community, you should go for any degree, just because sitting on a couch or reading yet another article about business online is worse than exercising your brain in academia.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Hey,
I've been struggling with making this decision for a few months now. I'd be happy to get some feedback on this.

I have a Bsc in communication (not the best choice I've made in life), a Master in management and am now finishing a Master in political science (I live in Belgium so tuition fees cost is irrelevant). I'm considering to do an MBA in finance (2 years) next year for the following reasons:
- I don't think I have reached my full potential in academic terms, an idea that I cannot stand.
- I don't want to regret not having studied an MBA when I'll be older
- I really enjoy finance and economics, and trade in my spare time (stocks and crypto). I feel I'd need a diploma to give my skills value.
- I feel bad for not having studied any math courses and just got one finance course in my management master. I have this certainty that my resume makes me look like a stupid person and I can't stand this idea.
- I think that this MBA would give me a chance to work in banking, learn the trade and subsequently start my own firm. My Master in management is not considered enough for me to work in banking as it is too competitive.
- I'd like to meet like-minded students that also want to do entrepreneurship
- I'd study one year in the Flemish part of the country and could then greatly improve my Dutch.
- The virus has destroyed the economy and I'll most likely not be able to find a job anyway (bad excuse, I know).
- I really don't feel ready to get a job yet.
- If I want to do this, I need to do it now. Later, it'll be too late.
- I can always try, and if it doesn't work, I can just quit and move on to the next step.

Now, here's why I think I shouldn't do this master:
- I'm 25 years old, 26 in August, and that means that I'd be 28 when I'd graduate.
- I have an idea for a great company (which is eventually what I want to do), wrote the business plan, and the development plan, and "all is left for me to do" is to start acting on the plan and look for suppliers.
- Three masters is weird as f*
- I feel I have been living on the hook of society long enough and that now it is my turn to give back.
- I don't feel like I deserve to be given the chance to do this when I see my highschool friends and siblings working for already 2 or 3 years.

What do you think? To give a final metaphor, I feel like a diabetic person about to eat a chocolate cake. I want it, but I have this idea on the back of my mind that I'm abusing a bit the system where the state is paying for my medical expenses.
If you want to go, then go. You can also do the same amount of learning through online books -- both digital and audio. I have 4 college degrees. They were important when I was young. Now not as much. You also could work while you go to school. You could start an online business... do whatever you want...

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
What do you have? I already have a (student) job.
I have two lower degrees from the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising. I got those when I was younger than you. I carried 18 units and worked 32 hours per week on my feet. Then, a BSL and a JD (Juris Doctorate) from going back to law school after my kids lefts home when I was in my early 40s. I carried 9 grad units and I worked 60 hours per week. I'm also a State licensed Certified General Real Estate Appraiser (commercial real estate appraiser). I have thousands of hours of education & a State examination for that license. I was a real estate broker in California for 30 years. That took a whole list of college-level classes and State examine to obtain that license. I'm a Federally licensed lead paint tester and renovator. More classes and a test. And I'm a State licensed small community water system well operator. Another set of classes, educational and testing requirements. The last two licenses are to operate my businesses and my properties. That well operator's license has allowed me to get a Federal water testing contract for all the campgrounds for thousands of Federally owned miles of woods here in Alaska. Thanks for asking. And what are you going to do with your life?

D

Deleted78083

I have two lower degrees from the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising. I got those when I was younger than you. I carried 18 units and worked 32 hours per week on my feet. Then, a BSL and a JD (Juris Doctorate) from going back to law school after my kids lefts home when I was in my early 40s. I carried 9 grad units and I worked 60 hours per week. I'm also a State licensed Certified General Real Estate Appraiser (commercial real estate appraiser). I have thousands of hours of education & a State examination for that license. I was a real estate broker in California for 30 years. That took a whole list of college-level classes and State examine to obtain that license. I'm a Federally licensed lead paint tester and renovator. More classes and a test. And I'm a State licensed small community water system well operator. Another set of classes, educational and testing requirements. The last two licenses are to operate my businesses and my properties. That well operator's license has allowed me to get a Federal water testing contract for all the campgrounds for thousands of Federally owned miles of woods here in Alaska. Thanks for asking. And what are you going to do with your life?

: 0 that is quite impressive I must say.

I want to be in a position where I can help people. Should I decide to take the slowlane, I would like to become a policymaker. Should I go with the fastlane...well I am not going to describe my ideas, but the premise is this: there are a lot of companies that are "broken", meaning that the service they give is of bad quality, too expensive, or could be more efficient. I love changing and upgrading systems to make things more efficient, I have always liked to lead and to organize events and trips. When I see the inefficiencies of some production systems I find it difficult to believe. So, one of my fast lane ideas is to shorten the supply chain of a product i believe in by relocalizing its production and distributing it directly to consumers without going through all the classic intermediaries this product normally goes through.

virginiaj.yates

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 14, 2019
- I have an idea for a great company (which is eventually what I want to do), wrote the business plan, and the development plan, and "all is left for me to do" is to start acting on the plan and look for suppliers.

That right there is the reason. Doing is actually the thing that matters. Now, answer this question:

do you want to be a successful business owner at 30 or a guy with three masters and a good job that pays his bills and saves him good money (but nothing compared to the business owner) at 30?

D

Deleted78083

That right there is the reason. Doing is actually the thing that matters. Now, answer this question:

do you want to be a successful business owner at 30 or a guy with three masters and a good job that pays his bills and saves him good money (but nothing compared to the business owner) at 30?

A successful business owner with three master degrees would be a perfect fit! : - )

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
: 0 that is quite impressive I must say.

I want to be in a position where I can help people. Should I decide to take the slowlane, I would like to become a policymaker. Should I go with the fastlane...well I am not going to describe my ideas, but the premise is this: there are a lot of companies that are "broken", meaning that the service they give is of bad quality, too expensive, or could be more efficient. I love changing and upgrading systems to make things more efficient, I have always liked to lead and to organize events and trips. When I see the inefficiencies of some production systems I find it difficult to believe. So, one of my fast lane ideas is to shorten the supply chain of a product i believe in by relocalizing its production and distributing it directly to consumers without going through all the classic intermediaries this product normally goes through.
Maybe you will be successful. Have you thought about either starting a business to do what you want -- bypass the existing businesses that you've been analyzing? You can try out your ideas. Have you thought to work with an existing consulting business? If I was in your shoes, I'd be talking to everyone I could find. That was the charm of me being an appraiser. I got to ask tons of questions about people's businesses. I got to ask a lot more questions than I needed for my report. But, I really learned about operating businesses. Here's an example. When I built my self-service Laundromat, I knew where the sticking points were in that business. I had talked to a bunch of business owners over the years. It really helped me with how I set up that business.

The value of taking the slow lane for a time is that it gives your hands-on experience. Working inside of a particular industry will give you a different point of view. I was a trophy wife for a few years to a guy who set up production lines and processes in the food industry. I know that whole industry looks different from the inside. We set up several commercial kitchens and production lines during those years. And he did the hot food program for a chain of convenience stores located at gas stations for a major oil company. I learned a lot from those years about his business. (As a note -- he learned virtually nothing about my business. But, he was a genius!)

I've been in the real estate business for 44 years. It is sure different when I'm on the front line making the decisions and it's my money. I have a parade of people giving me all of their good advice -- but they've never done my job. They don't know why I do what I do and how I make my decisions -- and they don't ask me the whys and wherefores. I know you don't want to be that person giving advice without understanding!

ygtrhos

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Dec 27, 2016
Why did you decide to go for PhD then? Why is mechanical engineering considered the hardest? Or did you realize this in hindsight?

I am developing a product that is pretty much all mechanical engineering, just by trial and error.

You gave your own answer. You do not need a PhD in engineering to design something of good value.

If you are a huge corporation and want to delve in the smallest details of your product design, you hire people like me. But you do not need a degree.

And yes, I realized this in hindsight, after I made the degree. I did not really have a career plan, I was just a prodigy and I liked learning physics and Newton mechanics, so I studied. But I did not realize the place it leads me to, until I finish the road.

There is this huge mistake in the culture: People think that the more difficult something is to achieve, the more rewarding it should be. Hell no. Many things, which are difficult, are absolutely not necessary, so they are not rewarded at all.

You understand my quarter-life-crisis?

D

Deleted78083

You gave your own answer. You do not need a PhD in engineering to design something of good value.

If you are a huge corporation and want to delve in the smallest details of your product design, you hire people like me. But you do not need a degree.

And yes, I realized this in hindsight, after I made the degree. I did not really have a career plan, I was just a prodigy and I liked learning physics and Newton mechanics, so I studied. But I did not realize the place it leads me to, until I finish the road.

There is this huge mistake in the culture: People think that the more difficult something is to achieve, the more rewarding it should be. Hell no. Many things, which are difficult, are absolutely not necessary, so they are not rewarded at all.

You understand my quarter-life-crisis?

Yep, I understand. There is a small book called "the lessons of history", and in that book is written something looking like this:

"People that manage people manage the people that make things. People that manage money manage them all". Entrepreneurship is about being that guy at the top which manage it all, which puts all parts together to form the whole.

At least you're a prodigy, you can learn complex stuff, that's nice!! In terms of product design, you are already 4 or 5 steps ahead of someone like me and don't need to hire a engineer to develop your product ; ) you can do so later when you need to step up and manage full time. Honestly i don't think you have chosen a "wrong path", there are people with phds in gender studies after all.... But yeah, you don't need a phd in engineering either. Entrepreneurship is about leadership, initiatives, sales, marketing and finance, or so I believe it is. Let's say what you have is a great great advantage, but not mandatory.

ygtrhos

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Dec 27, 2016
At least you're a prodigy, you can learn complex stuff, that's nice!! In terms of product design, you are already 4 or 5 steps ahead of someone like me and don't need to hire a engineer to develop your product ; ) you can do so later when you need to step up and manage full time. Honestly i don't think you have chosen a "wrong path", there are people with phds in gender studies after all.... But yeah, you don't need a phd in engineering either. Entrepreneurship is about leadership, initiatives, sales, marketing and finance, or so I believe it is. Let's say what you have is a great great advantage, but not mandatory.

I have recently heard that Elon Musk usually asks a lot of stuff to his aerodynamicists or power engineers at Tesla. When I heard that, I said like "oh dude, that guy has a life". So yeah, you are right.

If I could revert time 10 years back, I would definitely tell myself to learn how to collect status. I just did not know that I yearn for status and reputation and I thought I could get that by being academically successful. But that is only bits of what I want.

All in all, I had very bad mentoring / parenting for the things I wish to have. I was mentored for slowlane but I was not even aware of the different "lanes".

But hey, I think 90% of people are in the same position, so thats not a hindrance to get down and work on it. Such spirals of thought lead down to complaining and I do not like to spam.

Bobby_italy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Jan 19, 2016
I have recently heard that Elon Musk usually asks a lot of stuff to his aerodynamicists or power engineers at Tesla. When I heard that, I said like "oh dude, that guy has a life". So yeah, you are right.

If I could revert time 10 years back, I would definitely tell myself to learn how to collect status. I just did not know that I yearn for status and reputation and I thought I could get that by being academically successful. But that is only bits of what I want.

All in all, I had very bad mentoring / parenting for the things I wish to have. I was mentored for slowlane but I was not even aware of the different "lanes".

But hey, I think 90% of people are in the same position, so thats not a hindrance to get down and work on it. Such spirals of thought lead down to complaining and I do not like to spam.
I'm sorry man but this is partially mental masturbation.

I have plenty of status and know a lot of people that had a ton after academics, none of them became entrepeneurs but they all work at some fine jobs.

To be honest it helps you get a job but once you have to hustle you're just another no one and who cares how cool you are.

If for status you mean being known by people and idolized.

Unless you were to exploit that status in your actual business ventures.

Also the only family I know FULL of entrepeneurs like legit cousins etc.. all have companies, are very strict on parenting and super open on thinking that university is unnecessary because "if I need to know something I pay someone to learn it for me", one kid graduated recently and he was the first one in the family, they made him sweat it and honestly it's been 1.5 years that he's working and has never applied the "knowledge" he learnt.

Thomas Wood

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
471%
May 26, 2019
Hey,
I've been struggling with making this decision for a few months now. I'd be happy to get some feedback on this.

I have a Bsc in communication (not the best choice I've made in life), a Master in management and am now finishing a Master in political science (I live in Belgium so tuition fees cost is irrelevant). I'm considering to do an MBA in finance (2 years) next year for the following reasons:
- I don't think I have reached my full potential in academic terms, an idea that I cannot stand.
- I really enjoy finance and economics, and trade in my spare time (stocks and crypto). I feel I'd need a diploma to give my skills value.
- I feel bad for not having studied any math courses and just got one finance course in my management master. I have this certainty that my resume makes me look like a stupid person and I can't stand this idea.
- I think that this MBA would give me a chance to work in banking, learn the trade and subsequently start my own firm. My Master in management is not considered enough for me to work in banking as it is too competitive.
- I'd study one year in the Flemish part of the country and could then greatly improve my Dutch.
- The virus has destroyed the economy and I'll most likely not be able to find a job anyway (bad excuse, I know).
- I can always try, and if it doesn't work, I can just quit and move on to the next step.

- I'm 25 years old, 26 in August, and that means that I'd be 28 when I'd graduate.
- I feel I have been living on the hook of society long enough and that now it is my turn to give back.
- I don't feel like I deserve to be given the chance to do this when I see my highschool friends and siblings working for already 2 or 3 years.

What do you think? To give a final metaphor, I feel like a diabetic person about to eat a chocolate cake. I want it, but I have this idea on the back of my mind that I'm abusing a bit the system where the state is paying for my medical expenses.
If you want to go fast lane, I would advise against it. I’m 30 and started working on my fast lane business about 2 years ago. It is finally taking off and my Income/net worth is starting to grow like I have been wanting. It can take a while to figure out entrepreneurship, but the faster you are in the game, the faster you can start winning at the game.

The best things I took away from my college experience (bachelors) is meeting my wife and the business connections I made. That is the only potential upside I really see: the connections you can make. That being said, I believe many people in their masters are likely to be of the slow lane mindset, because they see formal education as the way forward.
About 15% of knowledge I use in my business is from my formal education, the other 85% was learned while working. There is almost nothing you can’t learn from doing or on the internet. In the end it’s up to you, but if successful fast lane entrepreneurship Is your ultimate goal, the masters could just be a multi year detour.
-Tom

NursingTn

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 30, 2019
What do you seek? Power? Money? Security? Will getting a third master help you find what you are seeking?

For me, I seek inner peace. I can get more education, but what use is it if my heart is still restless? But the more I engage in entrepreneurial pursuits, the more at peace I am. Why? Because being an entrepreneur is making things happen in spite of circumstances.

When you own the tiniest responsibility in any situation, no matter how grim the situation, you are empowered. You are no longer the victim, but the story weaver of your life.

For me, being an entrepreneur means being in control of my life no matter how little the control is, and that brings me inner peace.

What are you seeking, my friend? Will whatever you are thinking of doing help you get there?

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
If you want to go fast lane, I would advise against it. I’m 30 and started working on my fast lane business about 2 years ago. It is finally taking off and my Income/net worth is starting to grow like I have been wanting. It can take a while to figure out entrepreneurship, but the faster you are in the game, the faster you can start winning at the game.

The best things I took away from my college experience (bachelors) is meeting my wife and the business connections I made. That is the only potential upside I really see: the connections you can make. That being said, I believe many people in their masters are likely to be of the slow lane mindset, because they see formal education as the way forward.
About 15% of knowledge I use in my business is from my formal education, the other 85% was learned while working. There is almost nothing you can’t learn from doing or on the internet. In the end it’s up to you, but if successful fast lane entrepreneurship Is your ultimate goal, the masters could just be a multi year detour.
-Tom
I agree with you. It's a combination of both. I use my formal education every day. I'm always listening to another book or reading to increase my knowledge... BUT, my best learning comes from applying that education. It's a process of taking on a particular situation -- and then working with other people to learn how things really work. You must earn your "street creds".

And it takes a humble attitude. You must be willing to stand next to the guy who knows how to do the job -- regardless of who he is. You must be willing to watch, to try something new, to get your hands dirty, and to ask the right questions. Formal education is a jumping-off spot -- not a destination.

D

Deleted78083

What are you seeking, my friend? Will whatever you are thinking of doing help you get there?

"Meaning" and freedom. I mean by that that if I create a business, it needs to fix a problem, to somehow have a positive consequence on society. And I want to make and be responsible for my own schedule.

(I must say, since Andy's revelation, I understood I needed to stop consuming and learn how to produce asap. So I went back to my blog that nobody reads and wrote a couple of articles and you know what? It felt good to be producing some content!! Now, whatever I'll do next year, I'll have to start something on the side, some sort of "entrepreneurship" job/side hustle so I can familiarize myself a bit with the idea of producing value without having the structure of a job/university).

With this third master, I could study (which is something I like), meet some people (which is nice too), fix my Dutch (important) while starting to build something on the side and see where it leads. At least, provided they accept me in the program.

The second option is a paid internship for a year while building something on the side and see where it leads. At least, provided they accept me as an intern.

The third option is the slowlane while building something on the side and see where it leads. Provided I get a slowlane job.

The fourth option is to move to Budapest, get a corporate job, a wife, 5 kids and become my parents' ideal family man (jk).

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
"Meaning" and freedom. I mean by that that if I create a business, it needs to fix a problem, to somehow have a positive consequence on society. And I want to make and be responsible for my own schedule.

(I must say, since Andy's revelation, I understood I needed to stop consuming and learn how to produce asap. So I went back to my blog that nobody reads and wrote a couple of articles and you know what? It felt good to be producing some content!! Now, whatever I'll do next year, I'll have to start something on the side, some sort of "entrepreneurship" job/side hustle so I can familiarize myself a bit with the idea of producing value without having the structure of a job/university).

With this third master, I could study (which is something I like), meet some people (which is nice too), fix my Dutch (important) while starting to build something on the side and see where it leads. At least, provided they accept me in the program.

The second option is a paid internship for a year while building something on the side and see where it leads. At least, provided they accept me as an intern.

The third option is the slowlane while building something on the side and see where it leads. Provided I get a slowlane job.

The fourth option is to move to Budapest, get a corporate job, a wife, 5 kids and become my parents' ideal family man (jk).
So, what do you want to do? Are you just treading water while you keep going to school and avoiding your parent's expectations for you? Your 4th option just answered the question as to why you are struggling. You're swimming against the current. Your parent's expectations for you don't line up with your personal dreams. Even if you make millions through being an entrepreneur -- you will never make them proud. Oh, they'll congratulate you, followed by a big BUT. So, either follow their track for you or forge your own path with your eyes wide open. Going it alone is a hard situation. If you succeed, you will live a world that few ever attain. You're at that decisive moment. Either create a life and business for yourself or keep treading water until you give in to your parent's dreams for you...

D

Deleted78083

So, what do you want to do? Are you just treading water while you keep going to school and avoiding your parent's expectations for you? Your 4th option just answered the question as to why you are struggling. You're swimming against the current. Your parent's expectations for you don't line up with your personal dreams. Even if you make millions through being an entrepreneur -- you will never make them proud. Oh, they'll congratulate you, followed by a big BUT. So, either follow their track for you or forge your own path with your eyes wide open. Going it alone is a hard situation. If you succeed, you will live a world that few ever attain. You're at that decisive moment. Either create a life and business for yourself or keep treading water until you give in to your parent's dreams for you...

What?? Hahaha no that is a joke, my parents have obvious desires for me, but they let me do my own thing. My brother built his own business for example, there were no problems with my parents with that.

I am struggling because it "doesn't hurt" enough like that dog on the nail, the one who didn't get an FTE.

But seriously i feel like a spoiled child now in regard to all of these people on this forum that work 60 hours a week, have children and build a fastlane business on the side. I think they could need a helping hand much more than i do.

Thx to everyone who answered, it was really mind opening!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
What?? Hahaha no that is a joke, my parents have obvious desires for me, but they let me do my own thing. My brother built his own business for example, there were no problems with my parents with that.

I am struggling because it "doesn't hurt" enough like that dog on the nail, the one who didn't get an FTE.

But seriously i feel like a spoiled child now in regard to all of these people on this forum that work 60 hours a week, have children and build a fastlane business on the side. I think they could need a helping hand much more than i do.

Thx to everyone who answered, it was really mind opening!
I just hope that we have inspired you. Your education is a jumping-off point -- not the end-all, be-all. It opens doors, but only you can go through that door and make it work. At this point, you know just enough to dangerous to yourself and those around you. Until you jump into the trenches and try out your theories, they are only pipe dreams. It's time to prove yourself in the real world, outside of the classroom. It's time to get your hand dirty and try some of the solutions. BUT, I would start by talking to some of the people on the front lines about why they do it the way they do it. Use your ears and mouth in the proportion that God gave them to you. Listen first. Compose respectful, thoughtful questions. It will take a while before they will be willing to listen to your ideas. Out in the real world, book learning is almost always suspect. So, be respectful. Maybe you can make some friends and learn something in the process...

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Aug 9, 2019
Hey,

Just throwing it out there and maybe it is not something you want to do or havent thought about.
Maybe applying to the Diplomat-program since you have alot of knowledge and speak various languages. Do that for a few years, travel, negociate and make contacts which when you leave you will have all the opportunities in the world to make a business.

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
This thread was as boring as the title suggested.

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Aug 9, 2019
Similar to @Kokaka , up the ante and do those studies abroad!
I bet it would be more challenging then studying at home.
Definetly. He has studied communications and Political Science so the more languages the better, especially if it is a business language. As I understand it, he speaks French as native language since he wanted to learn Flemmish. He also speaks English since he is on an English speaking forum.
As mentioned above if you want to work in business. Learn or study in a country where they speak Russian, Mandarin or Arabic. Language opens doors to many things especially theese three in conjunction whith what you already know.

ygtrhos

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Dec 27, 2016
Why did you decide to go for PhD then? Why is mechanical engineering considered the hardest? Or did you realize this in hindsight?

I am developing a product that is pretty much all mechanical engineering, just by trial and error.
At that time, I had no idea of what I was doing. I was 23, had a great GPA and I was offered a junior position practically at the institute where I wrote my masters'.

I accepted that position and roughly tripled my 750€ of monthly student income. Was my first full-time occupation. I liked my topic, my professor&boss (way more important than liking the subject itself), my junior engineer salary and I was given a title after 3-4 years, which brought me (and still brings me) a lot of reputation.

I am Turkish and I live in Germany. Before the PhD, I was firstly Turkish and then engineer. After the PhD, I am firstly Dr. -Ing. and then Turkish. The racial discrimination went waaay low and PhD has kind of a compounding reputation effect. If you have 5 years of industrial experience, it makes you look like 10 years experienced.

Like the first answer to your post said, you have to like it though. You cannot finish it with the mindset "means to an end". It becomes your life for 2-3 years.

It is absolutely useless for earning more money. But I have to say that it brings a lot of reputation and respect. Nobody can really question your smartness legitimately.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.