The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can't decide between an Engineering or Business degree, time is running out to decide. What should I do?

Topics related to Slowlane, Scripted mainstream dogma

Rangermac2

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 1, 2020
Tennessee
Currently, I have come upon the crossroads of either Engineering specifically Mechanical Engineering or Supply Chain Management/Logistics under Business and Business Management.

I've started looking at various factors, salaries, the educational opportunity that my university provides (both programs are very good). At my high school I've taken business classes within Marketing, Business Management, and Supply Chain which I have enjoyed. I've also taken classes for coding/computer science and Engineering which I haven't enjoyed too much but am exceptionally well at, be recognized for my ability in class to complete projects, and obtaining a precision measurements tools certification. I am also really good at CAD using both SolidWorks and Onshape but I don't like it.

On the business side I enjoy the topics and find them engaging and do well through the classes. As a young Entrepreneur, I do desire to create and develop various businesses. One for instance is a construction company, and I believe being educated on supply chain would be beneficial as it would provide an edge against my competitors considering many projects are halted due to delays and shipment of building materials. The shorter the project and the better the quality, the higher frequency of clients I can take in. On the other hand Engineering can provide me the insights on design. Regardless, I still have to confer with Civil Engineers, Architects, Electrical Engineers, and etc. to ensure that the building would be up to code, safe, and usable even if I, myself was an engineer.

Most of the engineers I know work for various companies and only one who owns his own business in biosystems which I am not interested in being in anymore.

Most people who go to get Investors for instance like SharkTank have no experience in design or engineering but teach themselves to solve a problem that they find themselves facing, similar to the ability of finding what is needed in Unscripted and selling that good or service. One large concern from my observations between the Investors and the company that is requesting funding is not the product itself but issues within supply chain. Whether it be quality control, manufacturer and the company that first developed the product relationship, or delays on transportation/logistical issues. Not to mention warehousing, and over-inventorying too many units of a product. All of which are important aspects to make a productocracy, where being a fiduciary of customers/stakeholders allows success of the business through good customer service and quality products.

Finally, I have researched the potential income between both careers within my area and both have very similar pays, at around 70-110k per year so both equally are about on par if looking at it from an employable side.

From what I have shared, what would be the better option for me and my education since I either have to get a degree within Business or Engineering for Supply Chain or Mechanical Engineering? I do apologize as well if this was confusing to read as I had many concepts and thoughts quickly flow as I wrote. Thank you

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
I would LOVE to see a version of shark tank with more technical deals. Does this exist?

Examples being a B2B saas company or even an LNG export terminal… who knows what!
The TV producer in the pre-selection weeded them out, so the sharks didn't get to see them.

It would be interesting to have such programs that focus on technical subjects.

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
I currently do chemistry as an undergrad & the amount of people that think you're a genius (or just crazy) is a lot. I've learned lots of my business skills outside of class - you pick up the skills as you go along. I don't think I could do that with my degree. The other great joy is I can be entrepreneurial in the chemicals space.

Yes the classes are tough, but thats what makes the degree worthwhile doing. The hard maths, the tricky concepts & demand on time. It has a name for itself for a reason.

I think for you, you need to remember people also justify why they did their degree, so people are going to be biased.

NathanN

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jul 27, 2022
Vancouver, B.C.
Currently juggling a similar decision at the moment as well. Go to college for business or start a trade where I will be paid to work and have my schooling in that skillset paid for. Definitely a tough choice to make as my end goal is to be an entrepreneur, but a highly skilled and paid trade can give a foundation to pursure business endeavors.

Rangermac2

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 1, 2020
Tennessee
what decision did you make at the end?
Ultimately I decided Electrical Engineering. After I took my Supply Chain Class in high school I realized there was no room for me to innovate or design without a better background in STEM. Electrical Engineering will give me the abilities to design both software and physical systems whether it is for consumer goods or an industrial purpose

Edit: While I am still an Entrepreneur since I am still pursuing opportunities, this will get me the skills necessary and the ethos of credibility I want to benefit my entrepreneurship path. Business and networking comes natural to me and finding opportunities to make these connections does as well. Whether in my classes, job fairs, etc.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.