The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do the successful people of this forum have consistent routines?

Anything related to matters of the mind

KeepGoin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Mar 17, 2016
Looking to rewire myself with a routine. The thought of this makes me anxious.

Do you use a routine and do you attribute progress towards it?

Also, has anyone dealt with starting and stopping something? Being consistent on working out is an issue I'm currently dealing with. I have started reading self-help books to try and affect the ingrained habits but it is a constant struggle. The goal is to go from the fighting, to the being. To not having to struggle.

Your advice is appreciated

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
Looking to rewire myself with a routine. The thought of this makes me anxious.

Do you use a routine and do you attribute progress towards it?

Also, has anyone dealt with starting and stopping something? Being consistent on working out is an issue I'm currently dealing with. I have started reading self-help books to try and affect the ingrained habits but it is a constant struggle. The goal is to go from the fighting, to the being. To not having to struggle.

Your advice is appreciated

Hey, look. Monday is tomorrow. Hey, look! This routine also begins on Monday!

This routine has got me reading more text in six days than the beginning of 2016.

It's worth the $10, people on this forum use/have used it, countless boys around the world have been turned into men because of it.

I wish I got a referral commission but I'm simply sharing this out of goodwill. Hop on it today.

Check out Fox's routine also.

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016
Yes, I am not the best but I have carved up a routine for myself.

1) I am using Trello. Read this thread => https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...th-the-system-legendary-fastlaners-use.67028/
2) I work hard by making sure I am on my table 6-10 hours a day.
3) I work fast by using a pomodoro type timer.

PS: I know you asked for help from successful people of this forum. I am little less than a year into fastlane and I am super successful by "my definition", which is: taking action and surrendering to the process. I don't know what your definition for success is lol, but i suggest re-framing it if success = results for you.

BostonHusky

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Mar 13, 2015
I don't know what your definition for success is lol, but i suggest re-framing it if success = results for you.

I strongly and respectfully disagree. I made the mistake of believing that "surrendering myself to the process" would take me places, but it doesn't all the time. You need to make sure that what you're doing is the right thing to do.

I've put hundreds of hours into a project, but it failed. Why? Because I thought just hard work would help me succeed. But it didn't. Is there a need for what you're doing? Do people want your product? Are you spending hours on useless shit/mentally masturbating in the pretense of working? These are all important things. It's not the hours you put in, it's what you put in the hours.

Success = results in my opinion, and this only makes me push myself harder. Success=taking action means that I'm successful immediately because I tried. Results speak for themselves.

IMO, learn to love the process, and VERY hungrily strive for results.

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016
I strongly and respectfully disagree. I made the mistake of believing that "surrendering myself to the process" would take me places, but it doesn't all the time. You need to make sure that what you're doing is the right thing to do.

I've put hundreds of hours into a project, but it failed. Why? Because I thought just hard work would help me succeed. But it didn't. Is there a need for what you're doing? Do people want your product? Are you spending hours on useless shit/mentally masturbating in the pretense of working? These are all important things. It's not the hours you put in, it's what you put in the hours.

Success = results in my opinion, and this only makes me push myself harder. Success=taking action means that I'm successful immediately because I tried. Results speak for themselves.

IMO, learn to love the process, and VERY hungrily strive for results.

These are nuances.
Basically what I meant is to consider taking action as a small win.

Of course you have to tweak.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Anyone with structure is going to do better than having no structure.

Some good reading would be the Morning Miracle or the free "kill it everyday" podcast episode by Andy Frisella (MFCEO).

Start basic with a set time to wake up, 15 minutes reading, light exercise and a list of 5 goals for the day. Build it up as you progress.

Its not what you do once its what you do most of the time.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I never really understood the need for some sort of forced routine. Enjoyment has always been important. Driven by the game and doing what I want is key for me.

Last edited:
G

Guest34764

I don't think most of the big hitters here have a dead-set routine.

They're able to do that because of passive systems.

Want to sleep in an extra hour?Why should they care?They make money whilst they sleep.

Though being consistent towards success is important, but once you have it you have it.

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
I don't think most of the big hitters here have a dead-set routine.

They're able to do that because of passive systems.

Want to sleep in an extra hour?Why should they care?They make money whilst they sleep.

Though being consistent towards success is important, but once you have it you have it.

Yeah, but we're not there yet...we're still in the "give 7-for-0" phase

KeepGoin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Mar 17, 2016
I never really understood the need for some sort of forced routine. Enjoyment has always been the key for me. Driven by the game and doing what I want is key for me.
I think this is probably because you're where I want to be SteveO. You don't fight against things that will make positive changes in your life, for me right now I know going to the gym consistently is a positive change in my life. Still the allure of other activities that do not reap long term benefits gets to me sometimes.

You enjoy the process, I am working to do that but that is a process in and of itself. . at least for me.

Green Destiny

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jul 19, 2016
At the moment I'm looking to get into a routine myself. I'm currently working on some goals for the coming weeks and months and want to get back in the habit of writing out a plan of action for the next day. I really need to get into some sort of exercise routine as well, but am dreading it.

Any tips on exercise routines for people who hate exercise? :vomit: :puke:

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
I was able to make some significant changes by reading the book Mini Habits.

I mainly use this technique for something I don't "want" to do but need to. For instance - drinking more water. First thing I do in the morning is drink just a single glass. This little habit gets me in the routine of drinking water throughout the day.

The same principle can be used for making just 1 sales call, 1 loan request, etc.

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016
I never really understood the need for some sort of forced routine. Enjoyment has always been the key for me. Driven by the game and doing what I want is key for me.

In the book [HASHTAG]#Askgareevee[/HASHTAG], Gary says that he never had a routine. But he is all in with his business when he is working and he is all in with his fam in the weekends. And he says that in the future he might even work less when his kids start going to school. He just goes all in when he is working.

And if you read Daily Rituals by Mason Currey, the author talks about the daily rituals of some 160 elite authors, philosophers, scientists .etc. Most of those people had some sort of routine everyday but I dont think they were "forced". They had some sorta morning routine like "Have coffee and sit on work desk everyday early morning" or whatever.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
In the book [HASHTAG]#Askgareevee[/HASHTAG], Gary says that he never had a routine. But he is all in with his business when he is working and he is all in with his fam in the weekends. And he says that in the future he might even work less when his kids start going to school. He just goes all in when he is working.

And if you read Daily Rituals by Mason Currey, the author talks about the daily rituals of some 160 elite authors, philosophers, scientists .etc. Most of those people had some sort of routine everyday but I dont think they were "forced". They had some sorta morning routine like "Have coffee and sit on work desk everyday early morning" or whatever.
Ha. My routine is get up at 3:am. Run 8-14 miles every other day. Then get shit done...

jaypi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jun 8, 2016
Nj
I believe this is absolutely true now that I think about my journey in fitness. When I started working out in '08 I just wanted to look like those Mr. Olympia competitors. After two years I got bored of it and stopped going to the gym for a while. Then I just simply wanted to lift heavier weight and, ironically, added more lean mass because of determination.

Perhaps you just need to look at it at a different perspective to keep yourself consistent.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Ha. My routine is get up at 3:am. Run 8-14 miles every other day. Then get shit done...
....and now I feel like a man of leisure

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I think successful people shy away from self identified labels like "successful people" much for the same reason as millionaires generally don't walk around (or post) stating "I am a millionaire from Beverly Hills." I think your question is a fair/relative one, but I think you can look then to more public examples. Books like Miracle Morning by Hal Elrod might point you in the right direction. Also read a lot of what Steven Covey wrote. Dale Carnegie classes are also a way of organizing and systematizing both business and personal life.

However, I caution you that there is no replicate-able system of the "successful people." There's no pattern, no formula.

No system you will discover will replace tenacity, grind, resiliency, and resolve.

I just spent several weeks on the Pacific Islands. Success is a relative term. I have found more success than some, but when you see some of the real wealth in the world, you come to realize that "success" is a continuum. There are very few people at the top of the curve, most of us are somewhere in the middle... just at various points on the success curve. Some of "them" got started earlier, failed faster, or found the fast lane faster. Don't fall into the trap of comparing yourself. There will always be people coming behind you, and always people ahead of you.

I saw the full spectrum in Hawaii. Homeless people. Locals scraping out a living. Successful business people. Fast Laners. Full blown retired rich as shit people. And me somewhere in between (with no routine).

Last edited:

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016
Suddenly this thread became gold :)

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016

When do you sleep lol?
I wake up at 5:30 and starts working at 6. So I sleep at 10:30 to get a good 7 hours sleep.
Do you sleep at like 8?

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
When do you sleep lol?
I wake up at 5:30 and starts working at 6. So I sleep at 10:30 to get a good 7 hours sleep.
Do you sleep at like 8?
Sleep at 9 pm. I try to catch a quick nap during the day which usually ends up being 10 minutes long. Six hours feel better to me than more. It can even be less than that and still feel fine.

Last edited:

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
I do the same routine Mon-Fri. Yoga, meditation, read for 30 minutes, go over my notes etc. Just do whatever works for you.

Success is a habit.

#nowhere

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jan 29, 2016
Germany
When you look at the process as being a struggle, it becomes self-fulfilling. The fighting never goes away. It is a fire in the belly. It is part of the enjoyment.

When the fire becomes harmful and inhibiting, it's time to evaluate. When you're pushing too hard and the fire becomes harmful pressure, evaluate.

Sometimes letting go of forced rituals can free much energy.

My insight through this thread. Forced myself to several routines. Maybe it would have run better with "no routine", just moving forward.

imho.

Last edited:

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
I don't have a routine, exactly.

However, I do have a short list of things which must completed each day. Whether they're done first thing, or right before bed, they get done.

The short list helps me keep physically, mentally, and financially strong. (hmm, health, wealth and happiness?)

Here's a funny thing about the list... It's a list of just 5 things.

And, I assure you, I am physically, mentally, and financially strong.

Here's why this works:
  • Each item on my list targets an entire aspect of my life.
  • Each item tends to lead me to other small to-do's to accomplish.
  • Each item, when accomplished, allows me to feel my day is complete.
It was mentioned earlier in the thread, but something as small as drinking a glass of water in the morning can lead to more healthy habits (like drinking more water and eating better). I would think it's maniacal to try to work on your entire health profile before you master how to drink enough water in a day.

The same goes with every other aspect of your life, and your business.

It's all baby steps.

You can't manufacture a lifelong routine of perfection over night.

You can, however, start immediately on working the process of creating a perfect routine (if you so choose).

And one more thing... be flexible and quick.

Don't create a 6 hour routine you have to complete between 4:13 a.m. and 10:18 a.m.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.