The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Digital Marketing Agency, the new Podcasting?

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
JOIN THE ILLUMINATI BROTHERHOOD SOCIETY AND BECOME A MILLIONAIRE !!

Solve that terrible problem in your life today,have you been looking for a way to become a millionaire without human blood sacrifice no blood shared,Here is the golden opportunity for you,By joining the illuminati brotherhood society you shall achieve your dreams with wealth,new members normally receive great benefits provided by the society.Each member will receive instant sum of $ 10,000.000.00 USD dollars,
and [emoji383] 10,000 USD as a monthly payment salary and power, FAMOUS, also A free home in any location or country of your of choice.

Or Google hangout

Sent from my TECNO K7 using Tapatalk
upload_2019-2-6_11-17-11.jpeg
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
Not sure your point, I don't deny there's a solid demand for it. My question is more on the lines of "is it the new next hot thing?"

Figured you were getting a bunch of offers from "agencies" with zero credibility or prior client success.

Charnell

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
I followed that thread and am building my own "agency". In regards to the market being saturated, I would agree that there are a lot of people jumping into the space.

But... As with anything, execution is key. In order to replace my income with this small business, I only need to secure 10 clients. In my talks with people, I have zero reasons to believe that the market is so saturated that I can't be successful in achieving that. Selling is still going to separate winners from losers.

I view it as a land grab. It is a growing field and I would rather compete in a growing field than one that has been established for decades.
I have that thread on my bookmarks bar in a folder, that's how I knew it was around here somewhere.

You're right, selling is the biggest factor along with specializing. Specialization both in the offer and/or who you're offering it to.

May be longer to find clients in 1 industry nationwide than referrals in multiple industries in one location, but at least then you can show you're #1 at XX ads in XX industry. Pros and cons to both.

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Apr 4, 2016
Digital marketing is already dead with %5 taking %90 of the market. As I said previously in other threads, business owners are getting hammered daily with emails, cold calls and networking events.

Every month a digital marketing agency opens up in my city. One big firm left for greener pastures.

I was part of Fox’s group and many people are quitting or leaving the group since they can’t sell. The AVERAGE person will be lucky to make $2k/month. A poll was conducted and 90% made 0-40k/year. Only a handful made the mythical 6 figures/year. A lot were starving and made no sales for the month. There are plenty of new members signing up to “try” web design. Add those to the new spam emails and cold calls business owners will get.

When I was a telemarketer in my youth selling cred cards, the conversion rate was around 1-3%. The goal was to get 6-7 sales per 3-400 calls daily to qualify for bonus (very achievable). In digital marketing you will be GOD if you hit those numbers and that doesn’t include the hours you spend building your prospect list.

WinYourself

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
304%
Aug 11, 2013
"I'm running a digital marketing agency"

The easiest and most obvious way to tell somebody you have no idea about digital marketing.

Otherwise you wouldn't run an agency.

Terrible business model, waste of time and effort for everybody who knows something about paid or organic traffic, tracking, conversion optimization, funnel creation....

Skills would be better used at a six figure media buying job, or creating a digital niche product, or doing whitehat leadgeneration affiliate marketing style or partnering up with a product guy and running white label ecom.

However it's a great way to get paid to learn about digital marketing. But once you learn the basics...run. Run fast.

Last edited:

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
"I'm running a digital marketing agency"

The easiest and most obvious way to tell somebody you have no idea about digital marketing.

Otherwise you wouldn't run an agency.

Terrible business model, waste of time and effort for everybody who knows something about paid or organic traffic.

However a great way to get paid to learn about digital marketing.

You would think so but not everyone has a Fastlane mindset or they set their business up in such a way that they leverage their time. There are some really switched on Digital Marketers out there with their own agencies. (I was watching a live video interview with one last night). They reduce their input by training staff to do the brunt of the donkey work while they bring in high paying clients. They teach and oversee in the workplace but also are hands on otherwise they lose the knowledge of what is and isn't working (which for Facebook can be constant shifting sands). But we are talking pro's here, not someone who has paid out for a 3-4 day course that targeted him online.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GSF

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Aug 25, 2012
I run a digital marketing agency.

IMO, If some top-tier guru/influencer is selling you a course on "how to start a [blank] business" it's probably not a business you want to start.
I see Tai Lopez is currently pushing his "ecom-agency" blueprint training, get ready for an influx of new ecom agency startups

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
I've been following this thread since it started. I'm into web design and recently started learning more about SEO. I love the data and analytics of SEO and it's been something that grabbed me from the beginning. I'm a big numbers guy so playing with all the numbers has really pulled me in.

I'm a couple days away from receiving my first payment for a site that I designed and was possibly going to put it back toward an SEO course and an SEO tool. Since learning about the SEO techniques, I've been rearranging and optimizing the site, plus another site for my friend. I'm intrigued to see the pages starting to get ranked by Google.

But, then I saw this thread and it was like, "hmmm...is it worth all the time, effort, and money? Am I wasting my time? Is this really confirmation that I should go and do something else?"

What's the consensus? Go off and do something more unique? Getting into it now is a few years too late?

For every person who says "yes," there's another who says "no."

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I've been following this thread since it started. I'm into web design and recently started learning more about SEO. I love the data and analytics of SEO and it's been something that grabbed me from the beginning. I'm a big numbers guy so playing with all the numbers has really pulled me in.

I'm a couple days away from receiving my first payment for a site that I designed and was possibly going to put it back toward an SEO course and an SEO tool. Since learning about the SEO techniques, I've been rearranging and optimizing the site, plus another site for my friend. I'm intrigued to see the pages starting to get ranked by Google.

But, then I saw this thread and it was like, "hmmm...is it worth all the time, effort, and money? Am I wasting my time? Is this really confirmation that I should go and do something else?"

What's the consensus? Go off and do something more unique? Getting into it now is a few years too late?

For every person who says "yes," there's another who says "no."
You’re enjoying it, it adds value, you’re getting paid for it?

Who cares what others say. Go for it.

Jonathan Hoch

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jan 17, 2019
I don’t know how to spell it out any plainer:
  • You get paid.
  • To learn how to generate more website visitors and sales (a useful skill right?).
  • Using *their* ad spend.
  • In multiple industries (so you get incredible learnings that can transfer across industries).
  • Till you find the industry that has your name on it.
  • While rubbing shoulders with business owners who will “mentor” you by showing you what they do (rather than telling you what they’d do).
  • While building quality and deep relationships with your clients.
  • That lends itself to growth by referrals.
  • That naturally shows you the productised services to offer your market.
  • That could naturally lead to a product or SaaS offering.
  • And is a springboard to many different directions if you want to move beyond providing services (such as rank-and-rent, directories, marketplaces, your own eCommerce stores, revenue shares, pay-per-lead, etc.)
  • Did I mention you get paid while doing this?
Earning to learn, while learning to earn. There is no better way.

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
Quality communication and organized project management are key to building trust.
Spot On! I need to implement some kind of Project management system. Good Advice!

If some 'agency' read this thread, pick all the negative points mentioned, fixed those issues in there business and implement the tips mentioned here, doesn't that 'agency' will rock the market? hmm.

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
I also think "agency" was just a marketing term. In reality what most courses teach is how to become a highly paid freelancer, and not a typical agency with dozens and hundreds of employees with big name clients.

Of course you can always take it to that level if you want to

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
...and this is what it means to work 'on' the business, instead of 'in' the business.
Exactly, as Sean Marshall has said previously, "there's a difference between a business owner and a business doer. You need to switch from the employee mindset to a business owner"

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
It's like a when a song blows up on the radio. Most bands jump on the band wagon & copy the style when they actually should be trying to create a new sound. Once a song hits the radio, it's actually on its way down & out.
As the Great Gretzky said, "Skate to where the puck is going, not where the puck is."

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Who's running it well though?

I'm not talking about social media managers or someone who gets you followers on Instagram. You can train a monkey to do that now.

I'm talking about results: SHOW ME THE MONEY.

I've niched out into Facebook and Instagram with chatbots for e-commerce because I've cracked the code. And, its not that easy either.

I'm currently in talks with a business who paid a famous agency (they're huge on LinkedIn) $10,000/month for 3 months and spent $75,000 on ads returning only $65,000 in revenue.

They totally screwed this guy who has a solid brand and product. They even sent him fake Insta followers which is just ridiculous.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Thanks @Fox . I am really trying to deliver value and am learning the ins and outs of digital marketing and people talking about how impractical it is was daunting me to be honest. So it was nice to hear you supporting those who do it right.

A little bump on this thread for @Maxboost.

@Isaac Oh is now over 10k a month with web design a year later.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
I met a girl that was traveling around because she was doing online marketing for a job. I think the word agency is a bit much tbh...what attract people in the job was what attracted me at the first place: no need to go to an office. Doesn't mean you don't have to work though (and frankly, working in Bali or working in Brussels is the same: you work), and it is impossible to automate

Yep, nobody's going to do the work for you.

At least the good news is I can work from any location in the world as long as I have internet access and I usually do.

Next week, I'll be on a beach in Australia but still working.

Isaac Oh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
241%
Jun 14, 2017
Berkeley, CA
It's still a viable business path. I think you need to define what "Digital Marketing Agency" means (not you specifically MJ but anyone who attempts to start one).

- What is your digital marketing focus?

Copywriting, web design, SEO, Paid Ads...they're all part of digital marketing. But I can't really take a company seriously when they offer all of that stuff and claim to be experts in it.

I'm sure some companies are experts in all of the areas. Most of those popping up by solopreneurs aren't. They don't specialize and its hard to get work. They'd probably be better off freelancing solo in a specific area.
Thanks for the nuanced insight Lex!

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
I'm on several Facebook marketing forums. There has been a marked number of new members who within days of joining are asking questions like 'how do I get clients?' or 'I have a client who has given me a x dollar budget, how do I do facebook advertising?' or 'is Facebook a good fit for x product?'

They have started their 'Digital Marketing Agency' with less clue than the average 11 year old.
LMGTFY

LMGTFY

LMGTFY

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
I know plenty of agencies that have been doing well for over a decade, some serving SMEs, others serving big corporate clients.

Too saturated?

Even if there’s more noise now there’s just too many businesses out there that are bad at their digital marketing and *already* want help.

Frankly, I’m not even paying attention to what the gurus or anyone else is saying. I’m getting referrals every single week.

Too hard?

I think it’s fairly easy as a freelance digital marketer to land $250/mth clients.

Getting just one of these can make a big difference for many people.

Once you get your first then it’s quite easy to grow one client at a time.

Getting to 5 clients is straightforward.

Get to 10 clients and beyond and you’ll start experiencing the growing pains all businesses encounter. New problems are good though - they’re a sign of progress.

What I like is the clear (and simple) path for revenue growth in the initial stages.

Imagine you grew by just one $250/mth client each month?
  • Month 1 you’re at $250/mth
  • Month 2 you’re at $500/mth
  • Month 3 you’re at $750/mth
  • Month 4 you’re already at $1,000/mth

$1,000/mth for only 4 clients?

$2,000/mth for only 8 clients?

(Don’t forget this is before paying your taxes.)

How many people starting out would like an extra $250/mth?

What would an extra $1k/mth mean to many people starting out?

$2k/mth?

$5k/mth?

(Before tax remember.)

The beauty is you get better at sales as you progress, and better at delivering too. Especially when your niche finds you and you start to focus.
Yes but that’s still like 40 hours a week of work you have to do + maintenance and whatever crazy requests they may have :rofl:

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Apr 4, 2016
I can smell an amateur from a mile away. I'm not saying you're an amateur, I'm just calling the failures out.

The problem with this picture is that people think they can just throw a website up and call themselves an agency. The real issue is that maybe they were taught how to start an agency, however; they have absolutely no experience in it.

Why does everyone want to jump the gun and start a company? Why not put in some work for a company and learn a little about the market they are in.

The market is not dead. I'll explain..

I live in a city with hundreds of businesses. I can literally walk down from block to block pitching businesses on my social media management company, or my adsense management company, or whatever it is you consider a "digital marketing agency.'

My pitch would be - Hey, I ran a marketing business for 7 years while I was in my 20s. We handled nightclubs, restaurants, and some of our events did over 5,000 people. We know how to market both online and off. I'm launching a new service and would love to sit down and show you what we can do for you.

Maybe I'd research their company first and then go in and say "hey, this is what we can do for you.'

The point is, I would definitely be able to get at least 10 companies on board for $500-$1,000 a month. My offer would be very unique and I have a history to back it up.

If you want to be successful in an industry like this, why not just work someone for 6 months. Learn what you can, network, get out there.

Would that require too much work from you?

Do you honestly think you are the ONLY one doing this and using that approach?

My friend owns a restaurant and he gets door to door sales people coming in all the time pitching this service about running his instagram account and facebook.

MJ originally asked if Digital Marketing is saturated. I am in the camp that says YES, it is saturated. I did not say you can't make money but it is VERY tough to get your foot in the door due to all of the noise.

Isaac Oh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
241%
Jun 14, 2017
Berkeley, CA
We all KNOW what PROBABLY happened...?

You do see how that makes zero sense ya.

Most don't make it in any niche or endeavour.

- Most quit a gym after they join
- Most don't keep with a diet
- Most people never get past the early stages of learning a language

To keep it business:
- Most Amazon businesses don't make it
- Most e-commerce businesses don't make it
- Most brick and mortar businesses don't make it

Joining my course doesn't change human nature.

I have had people ask for a refund after over a year who never once watched a single video and have now moved on to the next thing - it is the nature of teaching courses.

I don't guarantee success - I teach what I know and have experienced to save you the time and effort to learn yourself.

"He made 700 calls over 3 months and made 1 sale...." < well he should have stopped and switched up his approach. I can quote 100s of posts where I say not to do this.

Anyway, this thread isn't about my course - it is about the whole industry.

Web design with a good approach isn't saturated.
Web design with a cookie cutter "Ill make you a responsive website" x 2,000 phone calls is DEAD.

The problem with web design is most people copy a copy of a copy of a successful business.
Very few think for themselves, bring real value to the table, and stick at it long term.

I am sorry you didn't make it work but don't come at me with your failure either.

Average people make average wages.

Pull up the stats for crypto, e-commerce, dropshipping, saas, affiliate marketing, running a restaurant - they will be the same or worse.

When you look at an industry with millions of people the average is... average.

If the stat that matters most to you is a high average wage for everyone go become a doctor or a dentist. Otherwise, accept that being an entrepreneur carries risks, and no matter how good the course/book/coaching - most are going to fall below the average line. That is how a bell curve/averages work.
Thanks @Fox . I am really trying to deliver value and am learning the ins and outs of digital marketing and people talking about how impractical it is was daunting me to be honest. So it was nice to hear you supporting those who do it right.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
A forum member on here inspired by your web design post quit his engineering job, started a web design business and never heard from him again....we all know what probably happened...
This is what happened...
PrestigiousVengefulBoa-size_restricted.gif

upload_2019-2-7_14-57-20.jpeg

Charnell

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
I'm shocked people aren't trying to sell more shovels.
Because the people that have the credentials to create and sell are course are too busy running a successful agency.

Jonathan Hoch

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jan 17, 2019
Because the people that have the credentials to create and sell are course are too busy running a successful agency.
I'm talking about selling to the idiots who are trying to slap together agencies after watching Tai Lopez videos.

Jonathan Hoch

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jan 17, 2019
One guy selling a video course I bought has 6,000 students x $799 (do the math on that). But so what? His course just saved me $100,000 to get this same level of instruction from film school. I see the availability of courses/free Youtube content as a great thing - third level education and hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt don't have to be the main option for people to learn skills anymore. I don't know how I would learn this stuff in Mexico by myself without people like him helping others.

I loved the video you did for that gym website! I would have never guessed that the skill set was developed from a low cost course! Name drops are fine (hint hint)

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Earning to learn, while learning to earn. There is no better way.
Exactly.

So you’re going to spend $250/mth learning digital marketing?

Cool. I’ll earn $250/mth doing it live for a real client.

(Change $250/mth to whatever you’re planning on spending on that digital marketing course.)

Pat D. Rick

uhhh...42?
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Jun 11, 2016

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.