The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dealing with procrastination when you're comfortable

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
So last few months my procrastination has gotten really bad, I don't know what changed but I am just putting off doing stuff that I need for my business idea. The real truth is and I hate to admit it is that the situation isn't bad enough for me to change it, I am just too comfortable like I want the benefits but find it hard to push my self to do it. But for example last year I would have been in the same position, but wasn't as bad as it is now. I've even done stuff like cold showers to get out of my comfort zone and looking at some Google tips to try and fix this, but I feel like I am just looking for a quick solution and nothing is working.

Just wondering anyone who has been in this position how did you deal with it? I was in fact supposed to write this post over 2 hours ago, and start some work but the comfort is taking over.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
So last few months my procrastination has gotten really bad, I don't know what changed but I am just putting off doing stuff that I need for my business idea. The real truth is and I hate to admit it is that the situation isn't bad enough for me to change it, I am just too comfortable like I want the benefits but find it hard to push my self to do it. But for example last year I would have been in the same position, but wasn't as bad as it is now. I've even done stuff like cold showers to get out of my comfort zone and looking at some Google tips to try and fix this, but I feel like I am just looking for a quick solution and nothing is working.

Just wondering anyone who has been in this position how did you deal with it? I was in fact supposed to write this post over 2 hours ago, and start some work but the comfort is taking over.

Felt like it all of the past couple of months but i still did something every day bar about a week or so tops.

You need a stronger why by the sounds of it.

Ask yourself why the FARK you are here?

Why are you man?

Whats so important you want to do this?

I keep trucking even when i feel shit as i just gotta make this work no matter what.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Also try to have some fun with it, we can take ourselves a bit seriously around here alot of the time.

For me i find i need to procrastinate to gain clarity and think about what i have done up util this point, and whats the next move.

But i have not once found myself not moving on something procrastinating for three months before, maybe someone who had the same issue can chime in.

Sander

When in doubt, dare.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Mar 19, 2014
If You Guys Were the Inventors of Facebook, You’d Have Invented Facebook.

If you're an entrepreneur, show it.

Shit or get off the pot.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
This will probably be long…

So last few months my procrastination has gotten really bad, I don't know what changed but I am just putting off doing stuff that I need for my business idea. The real truth is and I hate to admit it is that the situation isn't bad enough for me to change it, I am just too comfortable like I want the benefits but find it hard to push my self to do it.

Well you could first figure out what changed and use that as a starting point but it probably isn’t worth the exercise.

The problem is comfortable is a bad place to be as there is little incentive to move forward. It’s why many people spend their whole lives working in an average job doing average things when greatness was easily within their grasp. Much better to be broke or seriously in debt and about to lose everything. There is nothing like impending doom to create forward motion.

But for example last year I would have been in the same position, but wasn't as bad as it is now. I've even done stuff like cold showers to get out of my comfort zone and looking at some Google tips to try and fix this, but I feel like I am just looking for a quick solution and nothing is working.

It’s because you are thinking of this as a sprint rather than a marathon. All these quick fixes work like a watch with a broken main spring. You can wind it up and it might run for 30 seconds but if the core mechanics that keep it running day after day are broken then you will tire of constantly having to turn that winder. You will eventually give up and so don’t stand a chance. So, you either fix the broken parts or you create a new set of mechanics that will replace the old broken ones.

To move forward you need some form of incentive. You need to figure out if that incentive needs to be in the form of a push or a pull (or both). A push for example is having a peer group around you that are focused and doing great things. People who will inspire you and push you forward. Accountability partners, people who are a couple of years ahead of where you want to be. People who won’t accept excuses and will give you some tough love.

Pull comes in the form of what rewards will come from your efforts. A new home, a better life, travel, more free time, less stress, (fast cars, loose women). ;)

Whatever you see as a strong, positive motivator.

Both the push or pull (or combination) need to be in the real world. The internet is great but it’s just a screen at the end of the day. Turn it off and it’s gone. Out of sight, out of mind. So your peer group should predominantly exist in the real world. People you can meet up with once, twice or three times a week. Spend time with and help motivate each other.

For a pull buy yourself a cork board, stick it somewhere you will see it every morning and fill it with pictures of the things you desire or motivate you. Create a bread crumb list. Get to A give yourself a reward. Get to B get a bigger reward and work your way up.

What did you do instead during those two hours?

Understand that to move forward successfully you need to plan successfully. ALWAYS make a ToDo list the day/night before. Plan your day from start to finish.

Think about your most important task and what you are going to do to fulfil it before going to sleep then get up and attack it first thing whilst your willpower and motivation is high. If you screw up and do nothing else towards your goals for the rest of the day you have still achieved something solid. But don’t forget to do your list again that evening. Rinse and repeat.

If you are still struggling, then change your environment. This is the #1 issue most of the time but often gets overlooked. If you are not productive in your current environment it is very difficult to force yourself into productivity no matter how hard you try or how many tricks you employ.

I’m just getting back to the grind myself after having to concentrate on other matters. On days I want to work on my business I get up and drive 12 miles to a local town, sit in a café and work until noon. Then I go to the library and work from there until they close. No distractions save for breaks when the clock says its time (Pomodoro).

I could write chapters on this subject. The most important thing for you is creating a consistent habit of productivity rather than procrastination (which is your current habit).

You can’t rely solely on motivation, and willpower is totally overrated. Willpower depletes like sand in an hour glass. Make the most of it first thing in the morning and then rely on strong processes to see you through the rest of the day. Environment is everything. If you are in a productive environment that will carry you forward. A non-productive environment (the one you currently procrastinate in) will pretty much guarantee failure.

So plan your whole day out in advance. Tweak where needed. Once you get into a daily routine that works don’t deviate from it, keep doing exactly the same thing day in day out until it becomes a habit. The first week is the hardest but stick with it. Get three weeks under your belt and there will be no stopping you.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I keep trucking even when i feel shit as i just gotta make this work no matter what.

Now that's a seriously motivated attitude. :clap::

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Now that's a seriously motivated attitude. :clap::

''Both the push or pull (or combination) need to be in the real world. The internet is great but it’s just a screen at the end of the day. Turn it off and it’s gone. Out of sight, out of mind. So your peer group should predominantly exist in the real world. People you can meet up with once, twice or three times a week. Spend time with and help motivate each other. ''

My peer group are not ambitious at all to be honest, no one is ambitious here and is content with going through the motions of life on autopilot.

At the moment i don't really have a peer group :S

I just cant relate to them anymore.

I should find a way to mingle with people who are ambitious as all hell as soon as possible.

The only people i know talking this crazy stuff is this forum....

I feel like an alien.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I should find a way to mingle with people who are ambitious as all hell as soon as possible.

The only people i know talking this crazy stuff is this forum....

I feel like an alien.

Yes it takes time and effort to find like minded people within a sensible distance. Forums, FB groups etc. can help as can looking for local events on www.meetup.com.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
This will probably be long…

Well you could first figure out what changed and use that as a starting point but it probably isn’t worth the exercise.

The problem is comfortable is a bad place to be as there is little incentive to move forward. It’s why many people spend their whole lives working in an average job doing average things when greatness was easily within their grasp. Much better to be broke or seriously in debt and about to lose everything. There is nothing like impending doom to create forward motion.

It’s because you are thinking of this as a sprint rather than a marathon. All these quick fixes work like a watch with a broken main spring. You can wind it up and it might run for 30 seconds but if the core mechanics that keep it running day after day are broken then you will tire of constantly having to turn that winder. You will eventually give up and so don’t stand a chance. So, you either fix the broken parts or you create a new set of mechanics that will replace the old broken ones.

To move forward you need some form of incentive. You need to figure out if that incentive needs to be in the form of a push or a pull (or both). A push for example is having a peer group around you that are focused and doing great things. People who will inspire you and push you forward. Accountability partners, people who are a couple of years ahead of where you want to be. People who won’t accept excuses and will give you some tough love.

Pull comes in the form of what rewards will come from your efforts. A new home, a better life, travel, more free time, less stress, (fast cars, loose women). ;)

Whatever you see as a strong, positive motivator.

Both the push or pull (or combination) need to be in the real world. The internet is great but it’s just a screen at the end of the day. Turn it off and it’s gone. Out of sight, out of mind. So your peer group should predominantly exist in the real world. People you can meet up with once, twice or three times a week. Spend time with and help motivate each other.

For a pull buy yourself a cork board, stick it somewhere you will see it every morning and fill it with pictures of the things you desire or motivate you. Create a bread crumb list. Get to A give yourself a reward. Get to B get a bigger reward and work your way up.

What did you do instead during those two hours?

Understand that to move forward successfully you need to plan successfully. ALWAYS make a ToDo list the day/night before. Plan your day from start to finish.

Think about your most important task and what you are going to do to fulfil it before going to sleep then get up and attack it first thing whilst your willpower and motivation is high. If you screw up and do nothing else towards your goals for the rest of the day you have still achieved something solid. But don’t forget to do your list again that evening. Rinse and repeat.

If you are still struggling, then change your environment. This is the #1 issue most of the time but often gets overlooked. If you are not productive in your current environment it is very difficult to force yourself into productivity no matter how hard you try or how many tricks you employ.

I’m just getting back to the grind myself after having to concentrate on other matters. On days I want to work on my business I get up and drive 12 miles to a local town, sit in a café and work until noon. Then I go to the library and work from there until they close. No distractions save for breaks when the clock says its time (Pomodoro).

I could write chapters on this subject. The most important thing for you is creating a consistent habit of productivity rather than procrastination (which is your current habit).

You can’t rely solely on motivation, and willpower is totally overrated. Willpower depletes like sand in an hour glass. Make the most of it first thing in the morning and then rely on strong processes to see you through the rest of the day. Environment is everything. If you are in a productive environment that will carry you forward. A non-productive environment (the one you currently procrastinate in) will pretty much guarantee failure.

So plan your whole day out in advance. Tweak where needed. Once you get into a daily routine that works don’t deviate from it, keep doing exactly the same thing day in day out until it becomes a habit. The first week is the hardest but stick with it. Get three weeks under your belt and there will be no stopping you.
Thanks for the wealth of information. In those 2 hours I just browsed YouTube videos, I understand you can't be motivated 24/7 so I don't expect to be. The incentive I have is good it's financial freedom / becoming rich, but to be honest I know even why I started this journey can't even remember. All I remember is that I saw people on Youtube who were rich at 23 and that and I thought to myself something like "this is bullshit, I wanna be there aswell", I guess since I saw people getting rich at a young age I had to reach it aswell. The other is I had someone tell me they saw it in me to be rich, so I guess it started there aswell.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Felt like it all of the past couple of months but i still did something every day bar about a week or so tops.

You need a stronger why by the sounds of it.

Ask yourself why the FARK you are here?

Why are you man?

Whats so important you want to do this?

My why is financial freedom / becoming rich but the reasons why I wanted that aren't really clear. As mentioned above all I remember is that I saw people on Youtube who were rich at 23 and that and I thought to myself something like "this is bullshit, I wanna be there aswell", I guess since I saw people getting rich at a young age I had to reach it aswell. The other is I had someone tell me they saw it in me to be rich, so I guess it started there aswell.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
My why is financial freedom / becoming rich but the reasons why I wanted that aren't really clear. As mentioned above all I remember is that I saw people on Youtube who were rich at 23 and that and I thought to myself something like "this is bullshit, I wanna be there aswell", I guess since I saw people getting rich at a young age I had to reach it aswell. The other is I had someone tell me they saw it in me to be rich, so I guess it started there aswell.

Honestly if all that was motivating me was to be financially free and rich i wouldn't be working towards it.

For me personally your why isnt strong enough, well it wouldnt be for me, maybe it is for you.

eblip

New Contributor
May 29, 2019

I'm a master of procrastination in fact i'm doing it right now.
7:30 am sunday in london and its my birthday.
that said , you procrastinate due to either being terrified of stepping out of your comfort zone.
or because you are totally clueless about something you have to do .
or becasue you have zero interest want or need to do what you should be doing.

if its due to fear...you have to force yourself to do it...make a quick list and start hitting it..even whilst fearful
if its becasue you are totally clueless...then start ..get started by beginning it and then using tons of effort to learn how to do it and just fumble your way through this dificult taks until it is done
if you actually have zero interest..then recognize this fact ...admit it to yourself, and start planning to do something else.

FierceRacoon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 1, 2019
Just wondering anyone who has been in this position how did you deal with it?

You deal with it by not procrastinating any more. I know it feels awkward, to suddenly takes action after 6 months, because then you really have to acknowledge to yourself, how little progress you have made. The alternative is waiting and letting your dreams slowly die :smile2:

Leverage also works. If you want, send me (or anyone on this forum) $100, and get it back after you take action and post about it?
Or even $1. In my experience, $1 leverage can be surprisingly effective.

You still need goals and a plan. You can't just be randomly pushing yourself out of comfort zones. Write down your goals on paper. Write down your plan on paper. Losers think about stuff and wonder, why they are losers. If you don't want to be a loser, write it down, and start working. Forget all those videos, just do it.

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
Watched it, didn't really get much out of it.

Sorry you didn't get much out of it.

What I got out of it and what many clients do, is that procrastination is actually something we can look forward to.

We all procrastinate. Everyone does this, not a single person in the world doesn't procrastinate.

What makes a difference is us being honest about where we are procrastinating. Being truthful to ourselves.

And usually, the specific action that we're procrastinating on will bring the greatest result to your business. It's the thing that will grow you the most. You procrastinate because you're afraid, it's too big, OR it doesn't excite you to do that. In that case, delegate it.

Procrastination is a great indicator of the NEXT STEP. If you start your day asking yourself "What am I procrastinating on?" and do it, you'll greatly speed up the growth of your business.

I love procrastination. To me, it works as a compass pointing me in the right direction.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Yes it takes time and effort to find like minded people within a sensible distance. Forums, FB groups etc. can help as can looking for local events on www.meetup.com.

Well took up your advice as I did look this up a while ago the hole meetup.com thing.

So guys...I am...going .... To....a....salsa..class! Uncomfortable I am the shittiest dancer possibly on planet earth. Also looks like a much older crowd than me. I knew it would push my comfort zone so I did it.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Thanks for the wealth of information. In those 2 hours I just browsed YouTube videos, I understand you can't be motivated 24/7 so I don't expect to be. The incentive I have is good it's financial freedom / becoming rich, but to be honest I know even why I started this journey can't even remember.

You've solved the puzzle right there. It's your why. It's way too weak. There is no passion for success so it's very unlikely you will be able to overcome the procrastination as there is zero incentive. It's a whim rather than a strong desire.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Well took up your advice as I did look this up a while ago the hole meetup.com thing.

So guys...I am...going .... To....a....salsa..class! Uncomfortable I am the shittiest dancer possibly on planet earth. Also looks like a much older crowd than me. I knew it would push my comfort zone so I did it.

A great way to network. Congratulations. Let us know how it goes. :thumbsup:

Siddhartha

Pleasure Operator
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Mar 30, 2019
If anyone has experience with keeping the drive up and not procrastinating once the weekend hits; I'd love to hear your story.
I'm running an expirement right now by taking my PC setup and chucking it in a closet; leaving me with only a laptop and some notepads.
Doing my best to keep myself on track both during and after the workweek.

Enjoy dude, Salsa is a huge amount of fun and great for developing rockstar presence!

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
You've solved the puzzle right there. It's your why. It's way too weak. There is no passion for success so it's very unlikely you will be able to overcome the procrastination as there is zero incentive. It's a whim rather than a strong desire.
Not sure man. I mean i get the feeling that alot of people here didnt like the process they werent passionate,some were hungry for it. I dont feel that way wish i did though.

With passion that is something to me where u cant wake up to the next morning and do your work i dont have that drive,never really have. The only thing i think about day in and out is starting a band lol.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Not sure man. I mean i get the feeling that alot of people here didnt like the process they werent passionate,some were hungry for it. I dont feel that way wish i did though.

With passion that is something to me where u cant wake up to the next morning and do your work i dont have that drive,never really have. The only thing i think about day in and out is starting a band lol.

Your why is piss weak, that's your problem.

FierceRacoon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 1, 2019
Ultimately it doesn't matter if you have a particular feeling or not.

If you do the steps, and keep going, little by little, then you will probably succeed, in the end.
And if you don't, then you won't.

You don't have to always move forward at 100%. Just 1% is enough. Keep moving at 1%. Do one little thing every day, or at least every week, to move towards your goals. Over time you will rebuild your passion and your perseverance.

However, if you go to 0%, then it's dead. Then every month you will be further and further away from where you want to be...

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain

Then that's what you should do. Start a band if that's the ONE thing that drives you. What instrument(s) do you play? Do you sing? Do you write songs? What genre?

The people here who didn't like the process still ground it out as it wasn't the journey that motivated them but the destination. You have little desire to grind it out so maybe you should pursue your desires and come back to entrepreneurship if/when you feel that need.

Sprocket

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Mar 7, 2018
UK
Hey! Happy Monday :)

I haven’t read all replies as I’m rushing for school run so apologies if I’m repeating. I just wanted to share what I do in this position...

My husband is the breadwinner in our house, he earns enough at the moment for us to be comfortable (for now), but he’s a slave to his job, and we have 3 kids to try and bring up so although we’re good now, we want more for our (not too far off) future.

To overcome this we save just a little bit more each month than we feel comfortable doing. We’ve been doing it for a while now and it’s changed our mindset. Although we have the money, we know it’s not touchable so we feel driven to grow our income. I know it sounds weird but giving yourself a small and restricted budget each month for disposable income really focuses your mind. Sometimes it feels crazy, I’ll be budgeting like mad to make sure we can pay for things but it keeps you hungry! Another benefit is that we now have some investments and have paid down our mortgage by 35k.

Now I wouldn’t recommend this as a lifestyle choice - it feels fun now because we know we’re using it to grow, but to scrimp as a way of life, just no!

Everyone’s circumstances are different, look at your own life and set targets but ours are to do this until our youngest is at school in September and until my business starts to pick up.

To sum up, tell your brain you’re uncomfortable, poverty drives me, it might drive you... push yourself.

Have a great day x

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Then that's what you should do. Start a band if that's the ONE thing that drives you. What instrument(s) do you play? Do you sing? Do you write songs? What genre?

The people here who didn't like the process still ground it out as it wasn't the journey that motivated them but the destination. You have little desire to grind it out so maybe you should pursue your desires and come back to entrepreneurship if/when you feel that need.
Maybe not sure yet, this business stuff hasn't gone anywhere after 4 years so might be the end of the chapter soon. Just hope this isn't another mistake lol. But yeah starting a band definitely something I have the drive for, some would say I am looking for the easy way out, maybe.

Seamster

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
May 21, 2019
The Rust Belt; MI
I have a self-reward system. Coffee really gives me a buzz and I enjoy going to sit, drink, and read in the doughnut shop. I do that for 1 hour then I have to go work for 3 hours. But, give yourself a LIMIT! Don't go out and try to work on your idea for 8 hours (because you probably are tired from your job).

Maybe once a week I'll work my 9-5 job, drive 90 minutes, and work 3 hours on a rental property. Yes, I get a coffee for the road before the drive. But, I use the LIMIT + reward. So, I get there at say 7 pm, I MUST quit by 10. Then I take a shower at the vacant property, drive 90 back home, and when I get near home, I'm REWARDED with Wild Wings and a beer, or some movie at home, etc (plus beer!).

Helps me anyway.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.