• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

GOLD! CHECKLIST: How to Start a Digital Marketing Agency & Hit $5K in Less than 90 Days

Discussion in 'Hustles, Freelancing, Bootstrapping' started by Sean Marshall, Jul 19, 2018.

1. The Abundant Man

The Abundant Man Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,972
    Thanks xactly what I was looking for

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sean Marshall likes this.
  2. Daniel Clemente

Daniel Clemente New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $37
    What do you say if a potential client asks about experience with social media? I have pretty much none.

3. NovaAria

NovaAria New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $37
    This is sadly the biggest red flag am seeing. As Sean himself pointed out, literally everyone can create a digital marketing agency, and it feels like they are all doing just that.
    Differentiating yourself will be tough.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    daivey likes this.
  4. AlessioLC

AlessioLC Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,961
    It's the new Amazon from my standpoint, everyone is jumping on this trend and to be honest i was even considering doing it, but it's a funnel : Price will keep crashing for these kind of services and the profit margins will be way lower than it was before.

It's still an amazing business and the only way to know if it's fit you is to try.

There's no magic pill, you need to contact a lot of businesses before jumping on it, try to see which industry needs you, on what, what do they want, you'll get a better idea of it's a good idea or not.

daivey and TrueCreator97 like this.
  5. yyes

yyes Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $322
    I Imagine that's why people say local businesses is where it's at.

Online is saturated and there's a shortage of offline unsexy businesses.

daivey and Andy Black like this.
  6. AlessioLC

AlessioLC Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,961
    Yes and No.

The demand in the market is clearly in Software (IA / MACHINE LEARNING/BLOCKCHAIN) and that's why so many business open and propose their services to many compagnies, it's in demand, the barrier to entry is quite high and it's very difficult.

There's a lot of way to make money online, is it more difficult than it was 2/5/10 years ago ? Of course it's hard to find the right idea.

Also, I can start a Digital Agency Tomorrow, that's the problem of this business.
    But it doesn't mean you can't start one, i would just learn in depth the thing (only when i would have had the market confirmation) and be the ultimate BEST at what i do.

Which mean having the best team, the best systems, the best everything.

And while the attention is on ONLINE Businesses, the one that has the balls to do it the old way and go Brick & Mortar or UNSEXY Businesses has the choice to destroy any competitors with the actual market.

I mean these business owners have 60/70 years old for some and know nothing of Internet.
    You could learn the same craft, do a cool website and put ads everywhere online, you would destroy them because now we search our suppliers on Internet and you would be on the first pages.

It's just less glamorous because we like to work from home or remotely.

Sean Marshall and Andy Black like this.
  7. Longinus

Longinus Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $13,029
    It's actually not that tough:
    - Be on time.
    - Return phone calls, answer emails.
    - Do not overpromise.
    - Deliver decent work (ie do not outsource everything to India).
    - Do the best for your clients instead of just the basics.

If you would do those things, you would already be better than 80% of the market.

Everyman, daivey, Contrarian and 3 others like this.
  8. rogue synthetic

rogue synthetic * Not actually Rutger Hauer Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,217
    This is exactly right.

The upside of a saturated market is that the percentage of crap increases in proportion.

When I search for 'digital marketing' and related keywords in my city, everything on the first page of Google results is crap. Paid, local biz SERPs, organic results...it's total garbage.

Landing pages that are bland "talk at you" corporate garble with no call to action.

Exciting brand storytellers that aren't exciting and don't tell stories on their own web pages.

These are experts at generating leads and new prospects who can't even market themselves -- but they want to tell YOU how to do it in your own business.

98% of the competition would get blown out by the first guy who read a couple of Dan Kennedy books.

Look at what everybody is doing, and then do the opposite.

9. The Abundant Man

Rep Bank:
    $2,972
    I like the example that Sean uses about how his daughter was trying to sell Rice Krispie treats to kids at school. But then she noticed everyone was seliing Jell-O's. So she decided to Jell-O's instead. The M. Night Shymalan twist is that she was selling Jell-O's with marshmallows. So all the kids started asking their parents to get the ones with Marshmallows. So she became a kazillionaire(in Pesos...)

Lesson of the story: You don't have to make big changes. As long as your services are different enough from the competition. Apple doesn't necessarily make the best computers but they're different enough from the competition to where they're now worth $1 trillion.

10. AlessioLC

Rep Bank:
    $1,961
    To be honest and while thinking about this subject, it all depend which niche you choose and who are your clients. And it also depends where you take your clients (FR, UK, USA...).

Here in France there's a lot of Social Media Agencies, most of them use a call center and already called a lot of businesses to sell their services.
    The room is not full but it's tight.

11. The Abundant Man

Rep Bank:
    $2,972
    Doesn't that make it a high barrier to entry?

daivey likes this.
  12. AlessioLC

Rep Bank:
    $1,961
    In some way, yes indeed.

It's also a low barrier to entry when you know that anybody with a bit of experience and some books can open this kind of business.
    However, improving the business demand real entrepreneurial skills which not everybody has.

13. bobfour

bobfour New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $37
    In terms of limitations, where do you draw the line for your different price points? Like for a $1000/month client, do you limit them to 1 campaign with 20 different ads and assistance with 3 landing pages? How do you break down your limits to prevent abuse?

14. PizzaOnTheRoof

PizzaOnTheRoof Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,419
    What do you think of Andy's model of "renting" out the landing page to customers for like $50-$100/month?

15. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $158,967
    Blimey. I've only just found this great thread. Thanks for the opening post @Sean Marshall, and for all your sensible answers throughout. Rep+

Guys... this only seems to be low barrier to entry. Anyone can "start", but most fall over at the first hurdle of making sales. Like all businesses, commercial skills are more important than technical skills.

16. Tom.V

Tom.V Tom Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,224
    ^^^This.

I see agency training courses and the like day in and day out all over FB. The struggle is ALWAYS sales. Until it's fulfillment and performance :) This is part of the reason why I'm currently working on a sales training course for agencies, because it is such a big hurdle for agency owners that haven't found their gold vein of prospects.

Good stuff @Sean Marshall - Thanks for sharing! +Rep

17. The Abundant Man

Rep Bank:
    $2,972
    How would you go about getting sales?

daivey likes this.
  18. DavidW

DavidW New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $43
    I have been doing Facebook ads for realtors and it has been hell finding realtors that can pay me even 1k a month.
    Not sure what I am doing wrong

daivey likes this.
  19. The Abundant Man

Rep Bank:
    $2,972
    Are you cold calling? Are you going to realtor meet ups?

daivey likes this.
  20. DavidW

DavidW New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $43
    Cold calling, cold emailing. They dont see the value in Facebook ads. They will pay Zillow $250 a month however paying 1k in management + ad spend is too much for them

daivey likes this.
  21. The Abundant Man

Rep Bank:
    $2,972
    Right. I've been getting some not interested lately.

daivey and DavidW like this.
  22. MelB

MelB New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $6
    Does anyone know from experience whether using a sales rep to meet with business owners would work? If so, did you use the sales rep to cold call or to go to warm appointments (set up via cold phone call or direct mail)?

daivey likes this.
  23. jcvlds

jcvlds JC FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $828
    Do you have insight into their average revenue per sale and how much their max CAC could be for them to get the return they are looking for?

Probing into their business operations and costs, you can backtrack into your price while showing them that X $ spent on fB ads will provide Y return for them, and if that is equal to or greater than the return they are spending on Zillow then it should prove to them that it is a good investment.

That way you also are not appearing to tell them, “Hey I’ll do your fB ads per month, and it’ll cost you this much.” ... you’re positioning yourself to them as, “Hey you can invest this amount in fB ads that I’ll create and manage for you, and you’ll get roughly this return on investment.”

If you price your service to be a good deal that works for both of you then you are likelier to convince them to make the investment and they will see it as a no brainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daivey and Sean Marshall like this.
  24. Sean Marshall

Sean Marshall Independent since 2010 Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $5,080
    You can always get started with the people you know. Offer a steep discount or trial period. Honestly though, you can focus on them and the results you'll get for them.

There's about a million resources online teaching you what to do step-by-step so it's just a matter of doing it.

daivey likes this.
  25. Sean Marshall

Sean Marshall Independent since 2010 Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $5,080
    There are still so many fish in the sea. And there's a BIG difference between people who say they have an Online Marketing Agency and people who are/have been making real money with one.

I've had my own since 2010 and it's still trucking along even though I personally only work about 10 hours a week on it (much less when I'm traveling).

There are so many niches/verticals that you could do deep in that standing out/being profitable really boils down to two things:

1. Making sales
    2. Doing good work where there's a solid market

I personally like the Home Services industries (roofers, painters, contractors, etc) It's still wide open for these guys.